Sports Interactive Community
Naor5563

Youth development playing time

Hey,

Is there any difference if a youth player is getting his game time at the reserve team or at loan spell in league one or league two?

If he is playing the same amount of time, of course 

I think its <18 that playing time don't matter, but training does. After that it's a question of looking at his ability and where he should get playing time. If he is a good player for League One, you're not going to loan him of to a League Two team. 

In England I think the League One and Two are always higher and better than the reserve competition. 

19 minutes ago, Rooks said:

I think its <18 that playing time don't matter, but training does

Playing time is relevant for player development regardless of age.  However below the age of 18, Training takes precedence.

22 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Playing time is relevant for player development regardless of age.  However below the age of 18, Training takes precedence.

For this reason, as I've maxed out my training facilities, I never allow a player under 18 to go out on loan.

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

I need to learn the game more.. Thanks! :applause:

5 hours ago, herne79 said:

So at the age of 19 should I loan my talent or let him play in my reserve team? Both ways he'll get experienced ... 

For a 19yo you might be better loaning him out but ensuring he goes to a team of his level and a team that will play him, however if you want to tutor, mold (position retraining for example) or get him HG then keeping him at the club would be better.

Basically there is no real right or wrong answer it depends on the circumstances and what you are wanting of the player at the time.

The important thing definitely seems to be that if you loan them out, it's a suitable league for them (Coach Report usually is pretty good for suggesting what league they go into) and they get the bulk of games (preferably with good facilities too!). One thing I've learned is to examine the team asking for the player to see what players my player would have to compete with for playing time. (I actually still use the in game editor for this, as I find the AI typically goes with star rating/best CA score, and I'm still learning on assessing my players). You can usually tell how much they'll play based on the squad status the club offers, but I still check the roster if it's an appealing league. Had a fullback grow in spades as a 19 year old playing with Magdeburg despite "Backup" status because the team had no depth at the position so my player played all 38 games.  Peeking at his CA, he went from low 90s to 108!  And their training facilities are only average compared to my Excellent ones. I suspect I have better coaches too so the playtime has been invaluable. He was on the team that won the second division too which meant morale was also super high.

Depending on what level your reserve team plays at (it's possible it's below the lowest possible playable league) it might still be better to loan. But if you have excellent training facilities and coaches, it might still be better to keep them on your Reserve team. I do that with Wolfsburg now, since my reserve team plays in the unplayable 4th tier and for many of my prospects, still provides genuine "league" playtime for them even if just simulated quick games (I'm praying my reserve team wins the lotto and qualifies for 3. Liga though which will be an excellent place for most of my 18 year olds to hang out!)

And as others have said, playing time still does help. It's no mistake that my youth players that also see Reserve team duty (automatically called up by managers) seem to grow the fastest. It's rare for a U18 kid to play for my first team, but I suspect if I have someone close it'll make for a superstar :D

On 4/20/2018 at 23:20, michaeltmurrayuk said:

For a 19yo you might be better loaning him out but ensuring he goes to a team of his level and a team that will play him, however if you want to tutor, mold (position retraining for example) or get him HG then keeping him at the club would be better.

Basically there is no real right or wrong answer it depends on the circumstances and what you are wanting of the player at the time.

Yeah, this.

I'm a HG obsessed manager and try to sign players at 18 or younger so I can HG them immediately. Currently it's easier in Italy because you have the U-20s but also have 12 bench slots so you can get him playing time in a mop up game if needed. I usually spend those HGing years tutoring so the day he hits HG I loan him out [or play him if hes already ready to go]

Just make sure the team you are loaning them out to have good enough training facilities especially if they are good youth prospects. I rarely send young players out on loan due to youth development (unless a work permit is required), and only ever send players out on loan if I want to increase their value so I can sell them if I know they aren't good enough for first team.