United's 99 Tactic

Hey guys and gals,

I've been searching for a while to try and find someone, anyone who's managed to make a successful working version of Man United's 99 Treble winning tactic but i just can't find one anywhere that is relevant to this years version of the game.

I would try and make one but i rarely manage to make a tactic that works even when using bigger teams so to try and make a tactic worthy of Fergie himself is way beyond me.

Any help in finding or help making said tactic would be greatly appreciated.

Search the forum. There have been discussions about this tactic before. It should still be relevant as none of the new roles in FM18 are roles that Fergie's tactic will use.

FYI, there is no magic tactic or formula that you can use for instant success. Whatever you find through the search function, you should use as inspiration and ideas to create your own interpretation.

@goqs06 had suggested that he might do one, his Fergie 08 thread is a great read with a lot of great ideas in it.

Would love to see someone come up with something similar to the real formation, I gave it a go but it was awful. Probably because the current United side doesn’t have the correct players to play that type of football. Too many square pegs into round holes........actually come to think of it Mourinho is having same problem in reality

Off top of my head, something very quick:

Control/Structured 4-4-2:

GK-D

DR = FB-A

DL = FB-S

2x CD-D

MR = WM-S

MCR = BWM-D

MCL = BBM-S

ML = W-A

STCR = CF-S

STCL = AF-A

I would start with No TI's/PI's and see how it goes. I think SAF kept it simple in terms of tactics, tbh.

To add to yonko's post:

DR (G. Neville): I'd change this role to WBs as Neville got forward a lot and often combined with Beckham on the overlap.

MR-WMs (Beckham): cross more often, cross from deep.

MCR (Keane): I'd maybe change this role to CMs/d and add close down more. Keane was quite a complete player. Given that nowadays most teams play with three centre-mids you may be better off a defend duty.

MCL-BBMs (Scholes): get forward more. Perhaps test CMs with the same instruction and compare.

2 hours ago, Park said:

To add to yonko's post:

DR (G. Neville): I'd change this role to WBs as Neville got forward a lot and often combined with Beckham on the overlap.

MCR (Keane): I'd maybe change this role to CMs/d and add close down more. Keane was quite a complete player. Given that nowadays most teams play with three centre-mids you may be better off a defend duty.

MCL-BBMs (Scholes): get forward more. Perhaps test CMs with the same instruction and compare.

Dennis Irwin also got forward a lot on the lap usually overlapping and even underlapping Ryan Giggs. This is how I would emulate that team

Counter/Fluid

GK

CWB (a)-CB-CB-FB (a)

DLP (s)-VOL (a)

WM (s)------------W(a)

CF (s)-AF (a)

TIs

Pass Into Space

Play Out of Defense

Whipped Crosses

Higher Tempo

PIs

GK - Roll It Out

WM (s) - More Risky, More Direct, Cross More Often

W (a)- Roam From Position

AF - Close Down Much More, Tackle Harder, Roam From Postion

CF - Move Into Channels, Close Down Much More, Tackle Harder

and then swap positions for AF and CF

Cheers for the help guys!

i agree with you on most of the positions and roles. Becks was definitely not a winger like Giggs and so when I’ve previously tried to make the tactic I also went with a WM-s and had Neville as an FB-a.

It was Scholes and Keane Whig I struggled to get going as although Keane was the more defensive minded of the 2, he was more of a BBM/BWM hybrid in that he stayed to defend but would also press into the counters on occasion. And during this time Scholes played more advanced than he did in the 08 season. Having said that he was less of a playmaker back then as the ball was played through the wings most of the time.

Ill try putting your advice in to practice guys and let you know what happens when I get chance

I've been trying to re-create this tactic myself. This is what I've got so far:

Mentality: Attacking / Team Shape: Fluid - There was very much a "you score 3, we'll score 4" mentality with the side so I feel attacking brings the required level of risk I'm looking for. I've also gone for fluid because this give players the creative freedom that's needed for the generic player roles I've gone for later on. For example, Keane wasn't just a ball winning midfielder, he would lead counter attacks, dictate tempo, hold, tackle, create - a bit of everything really.

TI's: Play Much Wider / Use Tighter Marking / Clear Ball to Flanks / Pass into Space / Look for Overlap / Roam from Positions - The use of play much wider and clear ball to flanks emphasises how this team used to play, down the wings. Crosses were responsible for a lot of assists in 1999 (how could they not be with Neville, Irwin, Beckham and Giggs providing them?). Using tighter marking means the team were already close to the opposition players to win the ball back quickly. Passing into space lead to very quick counter attacks. Neville and Irwin we constantly getting beyond Beckham and Giggs respectively so looking for overlap was a no-brainer. The forward players would roam from their assigned position on the pitch confusing opposition defenders and there was always a different player to pick up. There was no need to up the tempo, defensive line, closing down or passing directness since these are already high with the attacking mentality.

Schmeichel - GK (D) - The greatest goalkeeper in the world at the time. His sheer presence in the net would exude confidence to his defense and strike fear into the opposition forwards. Incredible reflexes for a man of his size too. Would often start counter attacks with his quick, direct distribution.

PI's: Throw It Long, Distribute To Flanks, Distribute Quickly

Neville - FB (A) - Marauded forwards past Beckham all day long, whipping great crosses into the centre. Still primarily a full back though so no need to make this position a wing back.

PI's: Cross from Byline

Johnsen - CD (D) - A terrific foil for Stam, would be able to cover his center back partner. Would not so much be the guy getting in the face of the opposition striker though.

PI's: Close Down Less, Pass It Shorter

Stam - CD (D) - What a player Stam was, quick, strong, great in the air, could pass. A colossus in the heart of defence. There's no need to give him a Stopper duty because the team's mentality already has him closing down more. Although he could pass, would keep it simpler due to the quality the midfield possessed.

PI's: Pass It Shorter

Irwin - FB (S) - Very reliable defender who supported Giggs down the left hand side. Would still get forward and cross it but not quite as much as Neville on the other flank.

PI's: Get Further Forward, Cross More Often

Beckham - WM (S) - That right boot. What this man couldn't do with the ball. Crossing, free kicks, passing, shooting from distance, corners (♫ Oh what a night ... ♫), give him the ball at his feet and he'll put it exactly where you want it to go. Wasn't an outright winger as he wasn't the kind of player to run past his full back with pace before crossing it in.

PI's: Dribble Less, More Direct Passes, More Risky Passes, Cross More Often, Cross from Deep

Keane - CM (D) - The midfield general. As I mentioned above he could do pretty much anything you wanted in central midfield (although with Scholes next to him he was definitely the more defensive minded).

PI's: Shoot Less Often, Dribble Less, Tackle Harder, Pass It Shorter

Scholes - CM (S) - Scholes wasn't required to be the main playmaker as he was in later years due to the team's tendencies to concentrate their play through the flanks so I didn't want to give him a ball magnet player role like DLP, RPM or AP. He was more so the player sending the ball wide to the main creative players. I did think about making him a B2B (S) since he did have an influence in defence and in attack but I want to see how the CM (S) goes for now. I hope that keeping the role more generic with the higher creative freedom afforded by the fluid team shape (added together with a few helpful PPM's) will have this role performing as I want.

PI's: Shoot More Often, Dribble Less, Get Further Forward, More Direct Passes, More Risky Passes.

Giggs - W (A) - This role looks as though it was made for Ryan Giggs of the 90's. Running at players with pace, using his balance and skill to glide past the opposition, getting the ball into the box for the strikers. He was THE left winger.

PI's: None

Yorke - CF (S) - The forward who would link the midfield and attack, yet also scored a lot of goals. An infectiously positive personality - What a lovely smile this man had. Skillful, creative and a goal scorer. Could player either of the forward roles if called upon.

PI's: Move Into Channels, Swap Positions with AF (A)

Cole - AF (A) - I've seen elsewhere that some believe he was more of a poacher, but I feel he contributed slightly more to the team rather than solely concentrating on just getting goals. His partnership with the aforementioned Yorke was an absolute joy to behold (that goal in the 3-3 at the Camp Nou :applause:).

PI's: Swap Positions with CF (S)

Any comments on how you might improve this representation would be greatly appreciated. I haven't done any testing on the above just yet so no idea how this all comes together in the latest match engine! Got a feeling that an attacking 4-4-2 might be quite suicidal though :thdn:. Will probably also be one hell of a struggle finding modern day players who fit the mould of the team of '99 too. I remember from FM14 there was a custom database for a United Legends league where classic squads had been re-created so may try and track that down and use the actual squad from then to test this out (will of course need re-creating on FM18 so that could take a decent amount of time and patience).

17 hours ago, Park said:

To add to yonko's post:

Do you think that WB-S will get more forward than FB-A? On Structured shape?

CM-D already has close down more often. But it could be used as the more disciplined role than BWM. Though for me, Roy was a BWM.

I agree with Scholes and get forward more instruction.

2 hours ago, Chevie said:

Mentality: Attacking / Team Shape: Fluid - There was very much a "you score 3, we'll score 4" mentality with the side so I feel attacking brings the required level of risk I'm looking for. I've also gone for fluid because this give players the creative freedom that's needed for the generic player roles I've gone for later on. For example, Keane wasn't just a ball winning midfielder, he would lead counter attacks, dictate tempo, hold, tackle, create - a bit of everything really.

TI's: Play Much Wider / Use Tighter Marking / Clear Ball to Flanks / Pass into Space / Look for Overlap / Roam from Positions - The use of play much wider and clear ball to flanks emphasises how this team used to play, down the wings. Crosses were responsible for a lot of assists in 1999 (how could they not be with Neville, Irwin, Beckham and Giggs providing them?). Using tighter marking means the team were already close to the opposition players to win the ball back quickly. Passing into space lead to very quick counter attacks. Neville and Irwin we constantly getting beyond Beckham and Giggs respectively so looking for overlap was a no-brainer. The forward players would roam from their assigned position on the pitch confusing opposition defenders and there was always a different player to pick up. There was no need to up the tempo, defensive line, closing down or passing directness since these are already high with the attacking mentality.

Schmeichel - GK (D) - The greatest goalkeeper in the world at the time. His sheer presence in the net would exude confidence to his defense and strike fear into the opposition forwards. Incredible reflexes for a man of his size too. Would often start counter attacks with his quick, direct distribution.

Neville - FB (A) - Marauded forwards past Beckham all day long, whipping great crosses into the centre. Still primarily a full back though so no need to make this position a wing back.

Johnsen - CD (D) - A terrific foil for Stam, would be able to cover his center back partner. Would not so much be the guy getting in the face of the opposition striker though.

Stam - CD (D) - What a player Stam was, quick, strong, great in the air, could pass. A colossus in the heart of defence. There's no need to give him a Stopper duty because the team's mentality already has him closing down more. Although he could pass, would keep it simpler due to the quality the midfield possessed.

Irwin - FB (S) - Very reliable defender who supported Giggs down the left hand side. Would still get forward and cross it but not quite as much as Neville on the other flank.

Beckham - WM (S) - That right boot. What this man couldn't do with the ball. Crossing, free kicks, passing, shooting from distance, corners (♫ Oh what a night ... ♫), give him the ball at his feet and he'll put it exactly where you want it to go. Wasn't an outright winger as he wasn't the kind of player to run past his full back with pace before crossing it in.

PI's: Dribble Less, More Direct Passes, More Risky Passes, Cross More Often, Cross from Deep

Keane - CM (D) - The midfield general. As I mentioned above he could do pretty much anything you wanted in central midfield (although with Scholes next to him he was definitely the more defensive minded).

Scholes - CM (S) - Scholes wasn't required to be the main playmaker as he was in later years due to the team's tendencies to concentrate their play through the flanks so I didn't want to give him a ball magnet player role like DLP, RPM or AP. He was more so the player sending the ball wide to the main creative players. I did think about making him a B2B (S) since he did have an influence in defence and in attack but I want to see how the CM (S) goes for now. I hope that keeping the role more generic with the higher creative freedom afforded by the fluid team shape (added together with a few helpful PPM's) will have this role performing as I want.

PI's: Shoot More Often, Dribble Less, Get Further Forward, More Direct Passes, More Risky Passes.

Giggs - W (A) - This role looks as though it was made for Ryan Giggs of the 90's. Running at players with pace, using his balance and skill to glide past the opposition, getting the ball into the box for the strikers. He was THE left winger.

Yorke - CF (S) - The forward who would link the midfield and attack, yet also scored a lot of goals. An infectiously positive personality - What a lovely smile this man had. Skillful, creative and a goal scorer. Could player either of the forward roles if called upon.

Cole - AF (A) - I've seen elsewhere that some believe he was more of a poacher, but I feel he contributed slightly more to the team rather than solely concentrating on just getting goals. His partnership with the aforementioned Yorke was an absolute joy to behold (that goal in the 3-3 at the Camp Nou :applause:).

Any comments on how you might improve this representation would be greatly appreciated. I haven't done any testing on the above just yet so no idea how this all comes together in the latest match engine! Got a feeling that an attacking 4-4-2 might be quite suicidal though :thdn:. Will probably also be one hell of a struggle finding modern day players who fit the mould of the team of '99 too. I remember from FM14 there was a custom database for a United Legends league where classic squads had been re-created so may try and track that down and use the actual squad from then to test this out (will of course need re-creating on FM18 so that could take a decent amount of time and patience).

Attacking mentality, pass into space and all that direct passing on individuals......That team wasn't that direct.

Take just Attacking mentality. Defenders pass shorter by default compared to more advanced players further up the field. There is also more urgency in the play to get the ball forward. I think all the additional instructions is overkill. 

3 minutes ago, yonko said:

Attacking mentality, pass into space and all that direct passing on individuals......That team wasn't that direct.

Take just Attacking mentality. Defenders pass shorter by default compared to more advanced players further up the field. There is also more urgency in the play to get the ball forward. I think all the additional instructions is overkill. 

That's a good point. Useful PPM's (such as Tries Long Range Passes) might be more effective than the extra More Direct Passing I've added to Beckham and Scholes.

Fortunately, having found the FM14 database and importing it into the FM18 editor, it has successfully managed to brings through the 1999 team, baring a couple of odd positions for some players.

NflgjK5.png

So there it is all put together (I have removed the More Direct Passing from Scholes and Beckham from yonko's comment).

Here are the screenshots of each player for reference of how they've been set up on the database:

JZsigZ9.png

UqrDeoW.png

OCmwc4H.png

Wo48beg.png

q94mwMm.png

tfzUsg1.png

kgxb79B.png

o0OONxB.png

yMxhFvQ.png

Hb5GFDB.png

NTpwB7Z.png

I don't have time to test this in any games this evening but will update as soon as I get a chance to!

3 hours ago, yonko said:

Do you think that WB-S will get more forward than FB-A?

Fair point. Cross From Byline might encourage Neville to overlap too.

--

Looks interesting, @Chevie. If you wanted to give extra freedom, you could add Be More Expressive rather than using Fluid shape. I'm not sure Fluid really replicates that team.

I wonder who deserves 20 Crossing and Free Kicks if Beckham doesn't! :D

2 hours ago, Park said:

Looks interesting, @Chevie. If you wanted to give extra freedom, you could add Be More Expressive rather than using Fluid shape. I'm not sure Fluid really replicates that team.

I wonder who deserves 20 Crossing and Free Kicks if Beckham doesn't! :D

I do see your point. However I feel that the team attacked as a whole, like it wasn’t just the forwards who were responsible for that. I may have misinterpreted the other threads I’ve read on here but I think the more fluidity you give in the team shape the more the whole team goes with the mentality chosen rather than it being like how Barcelona where any player can turn up anywhere? Not 100% sure on that though!

I thought exactly the same, what more would have had to do to get 20’s?!

5 hours ago, Chevie said:

Fortunately, having found the FM14 database and importing it into the FM18 editor, it has successfully managed to brings through the 1999 team, baring a couple of odd positions for some players.

NflgjK5.png

So there it is all put together (I have removed the More Direct Passing from Scholes and Beckham from yonko's comment).

Here are the screenshots of each player for reference of how they've been set up on the database:

JZsigZ9.png

UqrDeoW.png

OCmwc4H.png

Wo48beg.png

q94mwMm.png

tfzUsg1.png

kgxb79B.png

o0OONxB.png

yMxhFvQ.png

Hb5GFDB.png

NTpwB7Z.png

I don't have time to test this in any games this evening but will update as soon as I get a chance to!

What are Keane’s PPM’s that aren’t visable in the picture? 

13 hours ago, Chevie said:

@Chevie really enjoying your interpretation! As you can see it's giving me very good results. Not only that, it "plays" very well and is really nice to watch. 

Capture.thumb.PNG.c0a6a3b21e4ba76c68f2ed379ab75dec.PNGCapture1.thumb.PNG.e62cec817a705ca618416d81bee10b75.PNG

@ericstpeter glad to see it’s working so well for you! Really good to hear that it’s playing well too. Out of curiosity, did you leave in the more direct passing for the WM(S) and CM(S)?

I presume you’re using the current United squad in that test run? Which players are being used in each position?

4 hours ago, Chevie said:

@ericstpeter glad to see it’s working so well for you! Really good to hear that it’s playing well too. Out of curiosity, did you leave in the more direct passing for the WM(S) and CM(S)?

I presume you’re using the current United squad in that test run? Which players are being used in each position?

I kept everything the way you posted it. I’m using my Man U 2021 squad but I kept many of the players. Added Tierney, Bellotti, Chisea and let Sanchez and Mata go.

3 hours ago, ericstpeter said:

I kept everything the way you posted it. I’m using my Man U 2021 squad but I kept many of the players. Added Tierney, Bellotti, Chisea and let Sanchez and Mata go.

I'm surprised to hear it's worked so well with what is basically the current roster considering there isn't much similarity between the players in 1999 and the players now. Glad to hear it's proving versatile.

Just messed around a bit in the editor and sorted out where it had Beckham, Scholes and Yorke's descriptions as center backs ... Now finally got my chance to test this tactic with the 1999 squad! I've moved them all into the current Man Utd squad so I can test it in the Premier League like you have been. I'll post some results soon.

Mid-Season Review

Competition Review:

WkqE1MA.png

khh1ZRl.png

Results:

zYQIyEJ.png

Player Stats:

1kwYS5c.png

So the results with the 1999 squad weren't quite as good as the ones given by @ericstpeter but still not too bad with the team second in the league and topping their Champions League group. Beckham has also been injured since the start of November and this squad wasn't blessed with right midfielders (checked the match line ups and Phil Neville has been playing there!) so that won't have helped much.

End of Season Review:

Competition Review:

3JNctgM.png

Results:

aTJWQqC.png

Player Stats:

RMdlPoi.png

Well, it's not quite the treble, but a league and FA Cup double with the European Super Cup added to it isn't bad! The title was sealed in the 5-1 win at West Ham with three games to play.

There were a lot of goals at both ends with this tactic, some huge wins (as well as a 5-1 defeat to Palace ...).

Goals and assists were provided by exactly who I would have expected (Yorke/Cole and Beckham/Giggs).

I'm very happy with how the tactic turned out overall, looking forward to using this in an actual career.

On 4/21/2018 at 01:57, Chevie said:

NflgjK5.png

JZsigZ9.png

UqrDeoW.png

OCmwc4H.png

Wo48beg.png

q94mwMm.png

tfzUsg1.png

kgxb79B.png

o0OONxB.png

yMxhFvQ.png

Hb5GFDB.png

NTpwB7Z.png

Do you have a database file which you could share here?

5 hours ago, goqs06 said:

Do you have a database file which you could share here?

Sure thing, I no longer have the database from these screenshots but rather the one where I’ve replaced the current squad with  the players from 1999. Where would you suggest uploading it too?

33 minutes ago, Chevie said:

Sure thing, I no longer have the database from these screenshots but rather the one where I’ve replaced the current squad with  the players from 1999. Where would you suggest uploading it too?

I'd guess the Editor's Hideout would do. @Chevie this article looks very good, as a Man Utd fan this had just made my day.

On 4/22/2018 at 09:09, goqs06 said:

I'd guess the Editor's Hideout would do. @Chevie this article looks very good, as a Man Utd fan this had just made my day.

Sorry this has taken so long to get to you! Link for the United 1999 squad is below. Ignore a warning you get about not having enough teams for a competition, it doesn't impact the save at all:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/rd6twmossn9i1c3/Manchester United 1999.fmf

Enjoy :D

@Chevie

Your interpretation looks the best, nice work!

Only formational changes I'd make would be Yorke as a Poacher (A), then you have two targets in the box instead of 1 (DLF doesn't get in as much in my view). Your reasoning for not using an AP role for Scholes was eye-opening for me. For instructions I would use Play Wider, Tight Marking, Close Down Much More, and maybe Hit Early Crosses as at times it seems like the only avenue of attack was getting the ball out wide and then in the box. 

I believe it's important to note that when Keane played alongside Scholes he was far more defensive, but in the United teams defining match - 3-2 vs Juventus, where Scholes was dropped - he played alongside Butt and was allowed the freedom to play his typical box to box role. Keane himself said his favorite teammate was Paul Ince, another holder.

The best teams to replicate this are, ironically Man City - De Bruyne is perfect for the Beckham role while Sane fits Giggs and Walker with Nevile - and Juventus. 

If we were to use United's team right now and fit it for this tactic, stylistically:

GK: De Gea, hands down.

DR: Valencia's ageing, Sidibe from Monaco seems to be a solid right back, offensively and defensively.

DC: Jones, Lindelof and especially Bailly are solid, though you might look for someone world-class to partner Bailly.

DL: Shaw isn't good enough so I'd take a leaf out of O-zil's book and retrain a solid, defensive minded midfielder to replicate the ever-consistent Irwin. Once Ferguson said he's only made "one mistake in 10 years"! 

MR: A playmaking midfielder with fantastic crossing stat is important, unfortunately there's a real lack of those. Sanchez and Mata lack crossing, so I'd go for someone like Thomas Lemar or Miralem Pjanic. 

MC (D): Matic does the Butt role well, but for a true modern interpretation of Keane you're looking at Radja Nainggolan, one of my favorite players.

MC (S): Pogba is perfect for the Scholes role, Mata and Herrera will do it well too.

ML: Mata is more of a playmaker than a winger, he lacks pace as well. Sanchez may work here but his right-footedness puts me off him. This will be the role that excites you most and gets you off your seat, Leon Bailey, Andrija Zivcovic and Malcolm are the prime candidates here.

ST: You should be fine here, Lukaku, Rashford and Martial, plus I'd retrain Sanchez so that you get those "four top class forwards".

If I were to ever do this I'd obviously do it with City, I think we'd do fantastic with it!

Hmm. It's fun to do this, but this system was definitely of its time - there's a reason Ferguson ceased using it.

I think it's said above, but I don't think Ferguson did a great deal with this team tactically. It was about the players. Behind the 'tactic', you had ten excellent outfield players that didn't have many weaknesses in their game. Intelligent footballers that understood space and how to exploit it. In an FM sense, the crucial thing is that most of the players in the team performed multiple roles, which makes it very difficult to pin down and replicate.

45 minutes ago, FlairRA said:

@Chevie

Your interpretation looks the best, nice work!

Only formational changes I'd make would be Yorke as a Poacher (A), then you have two targets in the box instead of 1 (DLF doesn't get in as much in my view). Your reasoning for not using an AP role for Scholes was eye-opening for me. For instructions I would use Play Wider, Tight Marking, Close Down Much More, and maybe Hit Early Crosses as at times it seems like the only avenue of attack was getting the ball out wide and then in the box. 

I believe it's important to note that when Keane played alongside Scholes he was far more defensive, but in the United teams defining match - 3-2 vs Juventus, where Scholes was dropped - he played alongside Butt and was allowed the freedom to play his typical box to box role. Keane himself said his favorite teammate was Paul Ince, another holder.

The best teams to replicate this are, ironically Man City - De Bruyne is perfect for the Beckham role while Sane fits Giggs and Walker with Nevile - and Juventus. 

If we were to use United's team right now and fit it for this tactic, stylistically:

GK: De Gea, hands down.

DR: Valencia's ageing, Sidibe from Monaco seems to be a solid right back, offensively and defensively.

DC: Jones, Lindelof and especially Bailly are solid, though you might look for someone world-class to partner Bailly.

DL: Shaw isn't good enough so I'd take a leaf out of O-zil's book and retrain a solid, defensive minded midfielder to replicate the ever-consistent Irwin. Once Ferguson said he's only made "one mistake in 10 years"! 

MR: A playmaking midfielder with fantastic crossing stat is important, unfortunately there's a real lack of those. Sanchez and Mata lack crossing, so I'd go for someone like Thomas Lemar or Miralem Pjanic. 

MC (D): Matic does the Butt role well, but for a true modern interpretation of Keane you're looking at Radja Nainggolan, one of my favorite players.

MC (S): Pogba is perfect for the Scholes role, Mata and Herrera will do it well too.

ML: Mata is more of a playmaker than a winger, he lacks pace as well. Sanchez may work here but his right-footedness puts me off him. This will be the role that excites you most and gets you off your seat, Leon Bailey, Andrija Zivcovic and Malcolm are the prime candidates here.

ST: You should be fine here, Lukaku, Rashford and Martial, plus I'd retrain Sanchez so that you get those "four top class forwards".

If I were to ever do this I'd obviously do it with City, I think we'd do fantastic with it!

Thank you very much!

Luckily the DLF on that test season didn't do too badly with Yorke's 44 goals haha (although I'd say a lot of those probably from the swapping positions with Cole - who got 33 goals himself). Glad I managed to help with Scholes :D I felt that the attacking mentality already closed down sufficiently but it would be interesting to see how that extra TI would impact the tactic as a whole.

Agreed on how Keane's role would change depending on the player next to him. It was only towards the end of him time at United that he became the designated holding midfielder.

I hate how right you are, Sane is probably the closest thing I've seen to Giggs in a very long time.

I agree with a lot of your suggestions, another MR suggestion would be Ward-Prowse because of his crossing, dead-ball ability and work-rate.

Recalled Andreas Pereira from loan with Valencia and use him on the right wing in the Beckham role, has been working out nicely. Been using mixture of Sanchez and Martial on the left wing but think i will bring in Sesseson from Fulham for the role in the long term or use Chong from the youth team to have a natural left footer there

I still love this tactic. Used it with Man U, and smaller teams and it gets good results. It's not a match engine breaker but it's fun to watch and is good enough to get Sheffield Wednesday 2nd in the Championship 26 games in with NO transfers in.

On 4/20/2018 at 13:49, Chevie said:

I remember from FM14 there was a custom database for a United Legends league where classic squads had been re-created so may try and track that down and use the actual squad from then to test this out (will of course need re-creating on FM18 so that could take a decent amount of time and patience).

Haha! I actually made that database.

Great to see someone liked it. Beckham not having 20's for those attributes is probably to do with the weighting of the Current Ability in FM18 compared to FM14! If you upped it a little I'm sure you'd see him as he was designed.

On 4/30/2018 at 22:31, bennymc said:

Haha! I actually made that database.

Great to see someone liked it. Beckham not having 20's for those attributes is probably to do with the weighting of the Current Ability in FM18 compared to FM14! If you upped it a little I'm sure you'd see him as he was designed.

I highly commend your work on that database :applause: It's an absolute delight to watch it work alongside the tactic.

On 5/3/2018 at 15:47, Chevie said:

I highly commend your work on that database :applause: It's an absolute delight to watch it work alongside the tactic.

Thank you! Appreciate it.

• 7 months later...

Archived