CPU over 100% Mac

not sure if anyone has experienced this before. 

Ive got the latest imac i5 16gb ram and the Radeon 4gb 750 card so its not really a slouch and should cope fine. 

it started to run a little slow and the processor on utilities shows over 100%! when loading up its 199 and then when loaded its 109! it seems a little high to me to be honest.

ive not had this issue on my pc which is running i7 2600k 16gb ram and a 1070 8gb card 

im finding it hard to believe my 6 year old processor is better than the new i5 both do have lots of extra graphics added. any suggestions?

• SI Staff

The scales Apple and Microsoft use are different.

Microsoft show it as dividing 100% between all the cores your CPU has.

Apple shows it as 100% per core, so if you maxed all 4 cores you'd get 400% CPU which wiould just be 100% on Windows

13 hours ago, a.panda said:

It is completely normal to have more than 100% CPU in Mac, the algorithm is simply different from PC.

The game being dead slow may be due to the fact it is Mac and not utilised for gaming.

Also inherently terrible cooling which is useless under loads.

17 hours ago, a.panda said:

It is completely normal to have more than 100% CPU in Mac, the algorithm is simply different from PC.

The game being dead slow may be due to the fact it is Mac and not utilised for gaming.

I suppose there is only so much a Mac user can do to optimise then. But generally speaking the OS isn’t designed for gaming then, which I guess is obvious, but FM not optimised for a Mac? 

9 hours ago, LCpl said:

Also inherently terrible cooling which is useless under loads.

4 hours ago, Transk53 said:

I suppose there is only so much a Mac user can do to optimise then. But generally speaking the OS isn’t designed for gaming then, which I guess is obvious, but FM not optimised for a Mac? 

Indeed, the thing is that Mac is quite good in self-monitoring itself and the applications. You can consider it to be good if you see the terrible cooling do not, normally, freeze (!) the system or shut it down. And somehow I have never had a single crash dump for the last 8 years with different versions of FM, running huge database and/or 20+years into the game.

On the other hand the system is overly protective in terms of application limits. For example I cannot load all of the classen (sp) league packs from the editor section, FM simply crashes at different stages. I have reported it in bugs forum but SI couldn't do anything. Turns out MacOS self imposes a limit in terms of number of files allowed from one application to open/alter, and 225 editor files are already deemed too many. At the end a few tweaks in the core system files and I can start a new game with all the editor files used.

Regarding if FM optimising for Mac, my instinct is no, but as SI staff say so, I have no qualms (like an outgoing loanee talking to manager!)

Seems to have worked fine once loaded. The 3d graphics aren't as good for some reason the 570 4gb isn't enough for this demanding game. Frame rate and buffer issues. 

12 minutes ago, nuzik said:

Seems to have worked fine once loaded. The 3d graphics aren't as good for some reason the 570 4gb isn't enough for this demanding game. Frame rate and buffer issues. 

I would suggest, if it buffers or lags, to tone down the graphics detail level.  My PC is old and the game always pre-sets the graphics ability too high but if I change it to 'medium' the game in 3D flows better without the niggling lags/glitches.

6 hours ago, a.panda said:

Indeed, the thing is that Mac is quite good in self-monitoring itself and the applications. You can consider it to be good if you see the terrible cooling do not, normally, freeze (!) the system or shut it down. And somehow I have never had a single crash dump for the last 8 years with different versions of FM, running huge database and/or 20+years into the game.

On the other hand the system is overly protective in terms of application limits. For example I cannot load all of the classen (sp) league packs from the editor section, FM simply crashes at different stages. I have reported it in bugs forum but SI couldn't do anything. Turns out MacOS self imposes a limit in terms of number of files allowed from one application to open/alter, and 225 editor files are already deemed too many. At the end a few tweaks in the core system files and I can start a new game with all the editor files used.

Regarding if FM optimising for Mac, my instinct is no, but as SI staff say so, I have no qualms (like an outgoing loanee talking to manager!)

Yeah I did think that the OS would be a bit tricky. I didn’t know about the file limits though, so thanks for sharing that. I do covet one of AIOnes with the 5k retina screens, although seemingly mega expensive at four and a half grand, probably not considering if I built another rig with the equivalent monitor res and such like.

22 hours ago, pw75 said:

I would suggest, if it buffers or lags, to tone down the graphics detail level.  My PC is old and the game always pre-sets the graphics ability too high but if I change it to 'medium' the game in 3D flows better without the niggling lags/glitches.

I find it hard that a 570 4gb card can't cope with the preset graphics. It's hardly the most demanding. 

17 hours ago, a.panda said:

Thanks a.panda,

Bookmarked that until I can get to a printer. Never worked on a Mac back in the day, but suppose these days there is more than a 1 in 10 chance of coming across one.

Archived