Sports Interactive Community

Hi all,

This is hopefully not another one of those "fix my tactic for me" sort of posts but - I am after a little bit of assistance. 

So, I am in season 4 with Arsenal and have been using the below tactic for the last two seasons. It has worked very well and we've won the last two league titles, and narrowly missed out on the Champions League. 

However, in season 4 - it's struggling a little. I don't think it's a terrible tactic by any means but I'm after some tinkering help to improve it. 

There are 2 main issues:

1- Away from home it's really poor at creating chances. Defensively it is fairly solid but we regularly have ratings around 6.4-6.6 for the front three. I think this is related to the limitations of the system. When we are at home, we camp outside the opposition box and our chances tend to come from overlapping full backs and late runs from central midfield beyond the striker. When we are away, we struggle to keep possession that far up the pitch and I think the whole team becomes too spread out and cannot keep possession. 

My obvious thoughts for that are to push the D-Line higher and try retain possession?

2 - My best players have always been Savic (same as everyone else), Bellerin, Tierney (or Alba) and occasionally my AML (either Kean or Griezmann). The only position I tended to struggle with was my CF. Who had been Lacazette, playing as a DLF(A). So, I reasoned in the summer that I needed a striker whose link up play was better and more capable of weighing in with assists for the wingers and Savic. I eventually opted for Dybala (mainly as a throwback to when I had in FM17 and he broke Henry's records). 

He's had a few good games but when he doesn't score - his rating is 6.5 at best. I think I am just struggling to get him involved. So, I have tried some other roles (such as trying him as a Treq in the screenshot below) but I am still left with the same issue unfortunately. 

Don't suppose anyone can recommend anything on that front too?

Thanks all - welcome any views.

20180410223832_1.thumb.jpg.0a2dd381bdc36c2f6c83ada7d1d335ec.jpg20180410223839_1.thumb.jpg.fd6634db6f0c6fadaceae61068e74449.jpg

Some things to think about...

As Arsenal - and back-to-back champions to boot - chances are almost everyone is sitting deep and looking to stifle your attack. You say your front three struggle, and you camp outside the box, which would support that idea. You're playing control, which will already push your defensive line higher and compress the space in the final third.

Second, the formation is, with the exception of the two CMs, completely symmetrical, which tends to make things a bit predictable, and with shorter passing, work ball, and play out of defence your team will look for a patient build-up from the back, which gives the AI time to get back and settle into a defensive shape. With Savic as an attacking Mez, and Zivkovic as an IF, they might be taking up the same areas in the half-space.

What I'd try would be to change one of the AMs to a different role - winger, AP or Raum would all work to give you something different and present AI defences with a different problem. I have Zivkovic in a Man Utd save and play him as a winger on the right - I know it doesn't look right in the TC but he has been brilliant for me because sometimes he'll play as an IF cutting inside, and sometimes he plays the winger role attacking the outside.

Also, you have some great creative players, so I'd let them off the leash a bit - turn off 'stick to positions' and maybe turn off 'shorter passing' as well. 

You might also have a read of Cleon's article about the effectiveness of attack with different mentalities, here:

https://teaandbusquets.com/4-2-3-1-standard-vs-attacking-mentality

I played the same tactic, with almost every player role same as yours with FC Barcelona. My problem was that wingers were playing really badly. Dembele has a 6.5 average rating. Coutinho was a little better but also an average rating below 7. I tried all the roles for the wingers changing from winger to IF and AP with no result. Finally i switched to a 4-3-3 flat, dropped the wingers and played  with 3 upfront. After a while i changed the old 4-3-3 to a strikerless tactic, and adjusted the roles a little. It seems it works wonders, especially the 4-3-3 flat.

Edited by Muerte706

@Muerte706 That's also because 3 strikers seem to exploit the ME this year.

@BrickCommo23 It seems your Mezella-Attack will go in to the same space as your Inside Forward-Support. With a Winger on that side, you should have a nice triangle working with your Fullback, Mezella and Winger.

• When you're on Control, I would not let the players stick to there position, because that will not allow them to use there Off The Ball movement and makes it easier for your rivals to intercept the ball. 
  • As a striker in a 4-1-2-3 I always tend to go for a Deep Lying Forward or Complete Forward because they provide a passing option in the striker area and he will play for assist and goals. 
  • Instead of playing narrow, when you want to control you need to make the pitch as large as possible to have a nice ball rotation. I would change it to balanced or make it more wider. 

18 minutes ago, Rooks said:

@Muerte706 That's also because 3 strikers seem to exploit the ME this year.

@BrickCommo23 It seems your Mezella-Attack will go in to the same space as your Inside Forward-Support. With a Winger on that side, you should have a nice triangle working with your Fullback, Mezella and Winger.

• When you're on Control, I would not let the players stick to there position, because that will not allow them to use there Off The Ball movement and makes it easier for your rivals to intercept the ball. 
  • As a striker in a 4-1-2-3 I always tend to go for a Deep Lying Forward or Complete Forward because they provide a passing option in the striker area and he will play for assist and goals. 
  • Instead of playing narrow, when you want to control you need to make the pitch as large as possible to have a nice ball rotation. I would change it to balanced or make it more wider. 

Yeah, i heard  about this. But i don't want to exploit the ME. I want to make my own tactics, and make them work. At FM17 i worked with 4-3-3 wide, 4-2-3-1 wide, 4-4-2, 3-5-2 WB etc. I made them all work more or less. All the tactics were used with top clubs though. I'm **** when it comes to tactical, and i use a "trial and error" aproach.

Edited by Muerte706

Hi,

Thanks for the tips and advice. I've taken on board most of them and:

- Swapped one IF to W (still support)
- Changed the CF to a Complete Forward (attack)
- Changed the passing to mixed (from short)

For now, I have left stick to positions on because I think that is a big contributor to our (usually) good defensive structure. But if not, that's the next tweak.

Only had a chance to play 2 games with the new system. Hammered Everton at home (4-0) and then won 3-0 at West Brom - who are randomly good on my save, managed by Cocu and up in 7th. 

Dybala is back in the goals too! Early days but looks like it might be a good one!

Cheers