Keeping Ajax Golden Generation in Ajax

I'm thinking of starting my first Ajax save in fm 2018. In previous versions I had a lot of trouble retaining my top talent and building my squad around the wonderkids you start with as they were eventually all poached by the big clubs within a season or two. This always led to a lot of frustration on my part and abandoned saves. Has anyone had experience with Ajax this year and did you have similar talent or were you able to keep your talented core through the years? Thanks 

I've got a few hints for you on how to keep players, although I haven't played as Ajax on this game, I've played as other teams such as Lyon, Bilbao and Fiorentina that also have a lot of young talents who the vultures circle for the second they hit a bit of form. 

1) Pre-contracts. This worked on my save on FM17 - if you get round to the start of the new season and your guy doesn't want to leave but is sure to draw interest at some point then negotiate a new contract but set the start date to "end of season" - not only will he not want to leave if somebody bids for him before the new contract starts, but most likely not the summer it starts either. If you negotiate a 5 year contract starting at the end of your season you've effectively got them on a 6 year deal with the first year at a reduced rate. 

2) Exhaust all options in terms of getting other players to talk to them if they ask to leave, if that doesn't work go into the chat and say choose the option that's something along the lines of "you're really influential and I can't afford to lose you". They usually say "I hadn't considered myself that way..." and quiet down. Also works for when a player asks for a new contract a lot of the time, especially as you often find your top players asking for a new contract in every single transfer window. Personally I haven't actually had the personal private chat "I think you're influential" thing not work - it may be broken or it may be I've just been lucky and keep getting the 9/10 times that it works.

3) When you're setting up your manager, prioritise "Man Management", "Motivating" and "Level of Discipline". The first two help with team talks, the last one helps keep everyone in line (I think MM may also help but don't hold me to that). 

There are basically two ways to lose a player, isnt there: 1) The hard way: Contracts are run down or release clauses are met and there is nothing you can do. PLanning ahead to avoid these things could possibly work. (2) The soft way: Players start becoming unhappy and ask to leave. I think here many manager eventually give in to demands simply because the wording of the player seems to adamant. However, often there is a way back for an unhappy player and the player might actually drop the issue if you just deny them their dream move. I have found that sometimes you just have to tough it out and accept you are not the player's fave person for a while and then things improve.

On 4/12/2018 at 16:05, crusadertsar said:
I'm thinking of starting my first Ajax save in fm 2018. In previous versions I had a lot of trouble retaining my top talent and building my squad around the wonderkids you start with as they were eventually all poached by the big clubs within a season or two. This always led to a lot of frustration on my part and abandoned saves. Has anyone had experience with Ajax this year and did you have similar talent or were you able to keep your talented core through the years? Thanks 

Try working it like Ajax do in real life; get as much as you can for the player invest in someone with as much if not more potential and the circle begins again.  Scouts and youth system are the key in this one.

3 hours ago, Geordieboy52 said:

Try working it like Ajax do in real life; get as much as you can for the player invest in someone with as much if not more potential and the circle begins again.  Scouts and youth system are the key in this one.

Yeah but then like real life Ajax I will never win Champions League 

• 3 weeks later...

Just won the CL in my second season at Ajax. Has not helped with players like van de Beek, Veltman, Neres, Nissen and Ziyech all demanding to leave the club. De Ligt (warming the bench at Barca) and Dolberg (actually playing, but not well, at Bayern) already long gone.

Looks like delaying the inevitable worked about as well as it could but keeping these players is nigh on impossible.

Won the Champions league with Ajax in my third season. Was beaten finalist in my second season. De Beek, De Jong and De Light requested to move before the fourth season even began. I spoke with them and said we had lots of talent coming through and they were happy enough with that. Im in October now and they are constantly linked with moves away. Not sure how much longer I will be able to keep them! Kluivert doesn't seem to attract very much interest which I found strange as he is one of my best players.

16 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

I would sell them if it was me @mcarson419 you can always find decent replacements either in your squads already or cheap bargains from Belgium, Croatia etc.

Yea I'd say they will be gone come the summer. Possibly sooner depending on what bids come in. I have a few regens coming through that could replace them too.

Archived