Sports Interactive Community
Torskus77

Saddlers 4-4-2 Simplicity And The Class of 99

As requested by torskus77 I've removed a few posts just to get his reserved posts up to the top for future updates.

And a great OP it is too.  Really top stuff :cool:.

Thanks herne, and apologies to those who's posts have been removed, the kind words were much appreciated. Will be updating again sometime today, possibly tonight actually, it's match day,  someone has got to watch us :seagull:

Such a common issue, that people just buy and win but at the same time don't have a clue whats going on. Something I still struggle with since I stopped using other peoples tactics. 

Inspired me to start FM up again and start with my local team or another but the most important thing - Pick a inspiration where you hold on to and build on. Many thanks and I'm looking forward how it works out for you. 

I like that your not just trying to re-create a tactic, you are the trying to replicate an entire club philosophy of a manager. Even though I'm unfamiliar with that Walsall side, your great OP gave me ideas for current save I will definitely follow this.

Well done Torskus, it is an interesting challenge.

After playing FM17 with 3 ST and now FM18; I was fed up a bit 3 upfront which I find that ME struggles to co-op hence possibly winning majority games and  many promotions. 

I am a bit old fashioned person  and like 442. I was felt that I needed to go back my favorite setup of 442.  I started to play my new save as 442 no matter happens at the of the season . I picked up Gateshead for that as a challenge and 2 games left to finish the first season and got promoted already by using 442. Next season your idea inspired me in a different aspect.   

Now, you are giving another thought on that and keenly waiting your input. 

Edited by Matt98

3 hours ago, TheJanitor said:

I like that your not just trying to re-create a tactic, you are the trying to replicate an entire club philosophy of a manager. Even though I'm unfamiliar with that Walsall side, your great OP gave me ideas for current save I will definitely follow this.

Yes, I understand, that not many people outside of Walsall will know much about it, possibly if you supported one of the teams in the division at the time, but it was almost 20 years ago, I am guessing a lot of players weren't even born. I know finishing 2nd and getting promoted doesn't sound like that much of a big deal, it is actually for us, but it was more the way it came around, the fact we were odds on for relegation,and somehow he moulded this team together, that looked better on the pitch, than it did on paper.  My words can't really do it justice, it was just something very special, built in a certain way, not by accident at all. The simplicity of it is what always stands out to me, I watch football a lot, not as much as I used to, but still a lot, and the amount of times you see players playing out of position is unreal. The simplest thing in the world is to get players playing to their strengths, this without any kind of tactics at all is an advantage, and yet so few managers follow it.

I am hoping to get some more up tonight, had a bit of a computer disaster and lost some work I did, but I can still put something solid up, just going to take me a bit more time than I imagined.

Great thread mate. I can't wait to hear more. I love LLM and I especially love simple systems. 4-4 'flippin'-2 indeed!

Good luck man, this will be enjoyable to read, hope you can stay solid defensively! 

Great Torskus77. I love the apparently very simple tactic, because...why we have to overcomplicate things a lot? Simplicity is fantastic most of the time.

I understand the only change you have made in the tactic posted in your image is the change between the 2 attackers, isn´t it?

2 minutes ago, tote said:

Great Torskus77. I love the apparently very simple tactic, because...why we have to overcomplicate things a lot? Simplicity is fantastic most of the time.

I understand the only change you have made in the tactic posted in your image is the change between the 2 attackers, isn´t it?

I changed the right back to a defensive full back too, and very occasionally I would change little things, which I probably should have mentioned, but was tired when finishing off that last piece.  Sometimes I would change the defensive forward to a support duty, mainly against teams that had no defensive midfielder, this was to have him press the defenders rather than drop back and hassle. I saw little difference in his positioning when attack, possibly a bit deeper, but nothing too extreme, I would like him to drop just al little deeper, and am wondering if a flexible team shape would make this happen, but I haven't tried that yet.  Also sometimes I would up our mentality to standard, not very often at all, not necessarily when we were losing either, just if I felt we were being just a little too passive.  It's very difficult to change things, when they are working so well, I am sure in the upcoming season, there will be more problems to discuss.  One simple change of swapping the forwards, changed so much, it opened up a whole new dimension, on the flip side it could have created a world of problems, I am beginning to see why when I used to make so many changes at once, it often failed.

Updated in post 3

If any mods know why there is a large gap of space being left once I edit, could you please advise me. Thanks

Hey mate, what attributes did you give yourself at the start of the save?

13 hours ago, Atarin said:

Hey mate, what attributes did you give yourself at the start of the save?

I didn't take too much time thinking about it, you can overthink everything if you aren't careful. I just maximise mental stats as much as possible, to gain respect from players more, get my own way with the board more etc, then maxed out Attacking and Technical, because defensive coaches are much easier to come by in the game.

Good read, Torskus. I like how all the decisions are being made to fit into a larger plan.

It was interesting to read about the change to the defensive full back and how it helped the attack.

Looking forward to more. :)

Amazing thread!

The kind of story that makes me wanna play LLM again.

I have a cousin that actually played for Walsall, Jorge Leitão, but he only got to the club 1 ou 2 years after 1999!

Are you @Cleon in disguise, OP? The writing is very similar. I know nothing about Walsall of old as they were before my time (started watching soccer in 2001) but I think you nailed everything...

56 minutes ago, davidbarros2 said:

Amazing thread!

The kind of story that makes me wanna play LLM again.

I have a cousin that actually played for Walsall, Jorge Leitão, but he only got to the club 1 ou 2 years after 1999!

Wow. Yes indeed, it was 2 years later. We actually got relegated the following season from my story in the op. Fought bravely, but didn't quite have enough, took it to the last game though. The only time I can ever remember a manager getting a standing ovation after his team got relegated.

Anyway, I just can't believe you are Jorge's cousin, Graydon signed him for £150,000 which was unheard of us spending that kind of money on a player. We had him on a trial before we signed him, went on a pre-season tour to Scotland,  we didn't know his name, he was just marked as a trialist, we had to sub him, cos he was that good, other scouts there were taking an interest. 

We got promoted again that season, through the play offs this time.  Jorge is a Walsall legend, was a sad day the day he left, no one has forgotten him at Walsall.  I wish we had players of that quality now. Every single minute he wore the shirt he gave 100% always. If you speak to him, give him my best wishes, and tell him we all still love him.

33 minutes ago, Jean0987654321 said:

Are you @Cleon in disguise, OP? The writing is very similar. I know nothing about Walsall of old as they were before my time (started watching soccer in 2001) but I think you nailed everything...

Nope, I'm no Cleon, he is actually good at the game, and far better at writing than I will ever be. He has been an inspiration though many times.  The problem is, people just want to copy him, and I admit I have been guilty of this before. If you actually just stop and read how he thinks about the game, you can learn much more.

This has been my best save ever, because I came up with this idea all by myself, and knew pretty much what I wanted to do. It's a game, you are never going to get a complete replication of a tactic or system, but I have actually seen many things in my save that remind me of that team.  The season I am playing now, is going well, but has been frustrating at times. This is good, because it has forced me to think about things.  The system I am using is solid in my opinion, I see some weaknesses in it, but I also see the strengths. I  am at the point now where I can see if a player is having a bad game and causing the team problems. It's very underestimated how important players are, you don't need top class players, but you do need players that can perform what you are asking of them, and if a few are having an off day, it really shows when you don't have quality throughout your team.