Losing interest/motivation in a long term save.

I'm in my 7th season with Spenny and I'm sadly starting to lose interest. It's our second championship season and our club reputation is still lower than many L2 clubs - so signing anyone of sufficient quality is extremely difficult. The majority of the squad are L2 standard and L1 max (bar our keeper who is low championship standard and a few good loan prospects).

We've finally upgraded our youth and training facilities to basic, and Brewery Field has reached it's max capacity of 7000ish. We just don't have theresources or reputation to kick on and due to players seeing L2 as a better prospect no-one to sell to raise significant funds. I really wanted to take them to the top but think we've hit our ceiling.

I'm loathe to leave the save after so much time and effort, but it's become a grind with the lack of excitement that comes from unearthing good players and prospects.

Sorry to hear that. Getting to the Championship - and staying there - is a huge achievement. But I guess it's realistic without a sugardaddy, or at least a new stadium, that you'd hit this position.

First proper football match I ever saw was Spennymoor v Bishop Auckland, must have been 1965 I think. 

Hope you find another save!

3 hours ago, warlock said:

Sorry to hear that. Getting to the Championship - and staying there - is a huge achievement. But I guess it's realistic without a sugardaddy, or at least a new stadium, that you'd hit this position.

First proper football match I ever saw was Spennymoor v Bishop Auckland, must have been 1965 I think. 

Hope you find another save!

Yeah, we've been in debt ever since promotion to the national and I've been praying for a takeover but the chairman is here to stay. This season is the first we've been in the green (around 3 million) but I'm stuck with an £80k wage budget. Will Keane is our marquee signing, just released from L2!

Finished 15th last season and anything like that again would be a great achievement, but I'm just not feeling it anymore.

I'm usually at Sunderland, but soft spot for Spennymoor and go along to see Seaham Red Star every now and then.

8 minutes ago, scottybee84 said:

I'm usually at Sunderland

Respect for your support! Must be heartbreaking to watch what's happening there.

If you're looking for another FM save I can recommend Gateshead... good squad, decent ground (11,800 capacity currently), and lots of potential. I took them to VNN champions in the first season but screwed up the squad in League 2. Keep meaning to go back for another crack at it.

14 hours ago, warlock said:

Respect for your support! Must be heartbreaking to watch what's happening there.

If you're looking for another FM save I can recommend Gateshead... good squad, decent ground (11,800 capacity currently), and lots of potential. I took them to VNN champions in the first season but screwed up the squad in League 2. Keep meaning to go back for another crack at it.

It's been unbelievably grim. It reached a point where I didn't care anymore and games were a chore. Started with Moyes, who completely destroyed the upward momentum, spirit and feel-good factor Allardyce had brought back. However, now I'm just angry and devastated at the state Short has got us in, he's ran us in to the ground. If (when) we go down, it'll only be the second time at that level in our history. All that in mind, I've stupidly renewed my season card, ha!

So, I've started an SAFC save.

Il 31/3/2018 in 18:29 , scottybee84 ha scritto:

Finished 15th last season and anything like that again would be a great achievement, but I'm just not feeling it anymore.

I've come to the conclusion that the only way not to get bored in a long-term save is never stay at the same club long enough to build some sort of legacy.

Whether you achieve all your goals and win everything or your progress stagnates, you're bound to come to the point where you don't really care anymore because there's nothing left to do (or what's left is clearly out of reach).

But if you keep jumping ship every 4-5 seasons (tops), you'll always find new challenges to keep the game interesting.

My current 5-continents challenge is going great. 2 years in Samoa, 2 in New Zealand, 1 in Australia, now in my 2nd in South Korea and already thinking about where to go next (South Africa I guess). I could have stayed in Auckland or Perth to try to win the Clubs World Cup, but it'd have taken way too long and the likely walkovers in the league would have bored me to tears

On 4/1/2018 at 19:05, RBKalle said:

I've come to the conclusion that the only way not to get bored in a long-term save is never stay at the same club long enough to build some sort of legacy.

Whether you achieve all your goals and win everything or your progress stagnates, you're bound to come to the point where you don't really care anymore because there's nothing left to do (or what's left is clearly out of reach).

But if you keep jumping ship every 4-5 seasons (tops), you'll always find new challenges to keep the game interesting.

My current 5-continents challenge is going great. 2 years in Samoa, 2 in New Zealand, 1 in Australia, now in my 2nd in South Korea and already thinking about where to go next (South Africa I guess). I could have stayed in Auckland or Perth to try to win the Clubs World Cup, but it'd have taken way too long and the likely walkovers in the league would have bored me to tears

I also get bored if I stay for very long at any club and start to look for a move to a vacant job after three or four years. You mention a 5 continents challenge - do you look for vacant jobs or do you take control of whatever team appeals to you when you want a move?

Edit - ignore that.  I've just discovered that the five continents challenge is actually five separate saves ... well I think that's what it is.

24 minuti fa, Hovis Dexter ha scritto:

You mention a 5 continents challenge - do you look for vacant jobs or do you take control of whatever team appeals to you when you want a move?

So far it has happened organically.

It's a "wait and see, while always looking to move up" approach. I don't actively look for vacancies, but I usually accept interviews for jobs if I feel it's time to move on (and up).

I'm simply avoiding to plan mid-term, actually a nice change from the usual "start at a club, turn it into a global powerhouse, win the Quintuple every year til you don't care anymore" pattern.

On 4/2/2018 at 18:27, Hovis Dexter said:

I also get bored if I stay for very long at any club and start to look for a move to a vacant job after three or four years. You mention a 5 continents challenge - do you look for vacant jobs or do you take control of whatever team appeals to you when you want a move?

Edit - ignore that.  I've just discovered that the five continents challenge is actually five separate saves ... well I think that's what it is.

I thought it was like the pentagon challenge, win the champs league on 5 separate continents? That's the challenge I;m restarting tonight if you fancy a head to head?

On ‎01‎-‎04‎-‎2018 at 19:05, RBKalle said:

I had a 30+ year save in FM15 managing only Dulwich Hamlet. I'd say it depends on what you want to achieve with the save, if you're not looking to create a legacy of youth prospects, or hall of famer at a single club, then sometimes it's good to move on clubs. This year I've been managing all across europe, in 10 years I'm in my 5th different country and it's going really well and the motivation is still very present.

Il 2/4/2018 in 19:27 , Hovis Dexter ha scritto:

Actually it is the Pentagon challenge... One save, 5 Champions Leagues. Didn't know the "official" name, didn't know there was an actual 5 Continents Challenge with different rules.

6 ore fa, kingjericho ha scritto:

I had a 30+ year save in FM15 managing only Dulwich Hamlet. I'd say it depends on what you want to achieve with the save, if you're not looking to create a legacy of youth prospects, or hall of famer at a single club, then sometimes it's good to move on clubs. This year I've been managing all across europe, in 10 years I'm in my 5th different country and it's going really well and the motivation is still very present.

Yeah, my Faroese Wonder save has been going for 30 seasons, but it's been an exception, albeit a rather glorious one. It has taken me 20 seasons to win the Champions League, so the long chase has kept my interest alive.
There'd still be the secondary goal of qualifying the Faroese NT to a EC/WC, but it's currently on hold, as it's much less immediate and rewarding than winning everything with the club.

Archived