The New FMCU General Discussion Thread

deltablue

On 20/12/2019 at 17:58, git2thachoppa said:

But what's the demographics of the site? How many are British? :kriss:

I concur. I am sure there are more British people on the SI forum than of any other nationality and it wouldn't surprise me if there are more Brits than all other nationalities put together. At the end of the day, Football Manager is made by a British company.

This would then mean it is of little surprise that Britain is the most common nation for FM saves.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

This would then mean it is of little surprise that Britain is the most common nation for FM saves.

I only partially agree. I think there are many more people playing from other countriea too, but it's easier on their national forum. 

Even I am active on the small Romanian one, but there are active ones for pretty much every European country at least. So the explanation could partially come from the language barrier also.

On 25/12/2019 at 10:33, Jimbokav1971 said:

Happy Christmas everyone. 

I hope Santa brings you a 5.0 PA Newgen. 

I got a 5* PA goalkeeper in my last intake at the start of the month, so it was an early present. ;)

Thing is, I'm in the Southern League Premier Division, so he's hardly going to set the footballing world on fire. He'll do nicely for my squad though and his introduction to the squad was very timely, coming only two days after my first choice goalkeeper dislocated his shoulder.

On 30/12/2019 at 21:15, Nobby_McDonald said:

I got a 5* PA goalkeeper in my last intake at the start of the month, so it was an early present. ;)

Thing is, I'm in the Southern League Premier Division, so he's hardly going to set the footballing world on fire. He'll do nicely for my squad though and his introduction to the squad was very timely, coming only two days after my first choice goalkeeper dislocated his shoulder.

Get him taking penalties and free kicks. The world Is his tinder box 

On 27/12/2019 at 22:21, Minuy600 said:

Ahem. Ladies and gentlemen.

This is not important or special to everybody, I know that. But after 2 and (almost) a half years of playing FM17, FM18 and FM20, never truly understanding tactics or quite a few in-depth details...

I HAVE WON MY FIRST EVER LEAGUE TITLE!

image.thumb.png.ae15a1c5accb66d6a7a7acdb03f1ab06.png

I'm delighted. Never thought i'd survive long enough to see it happen... but here we are. And it was nervy, as shown here:

image.thumb.png.84fe9d17815572196058562ebade4cab.png

Being comfortably in the lead, only to nearly throw it all away were it not for Banaba bottling it... only to come good again in the playoffs by radically changing my tactic with a defensive approach. Wow...

Again, if this isn't significant to you, i'm sorry, i'm just super happy to end the decade this way. :D

Onto 2020, may we all win many more Carabao Cups, Kiribatian National Championships, Johan Cruijf Shields and many many more irrelevant leagues and (super) cups.

Fabulous news on winning the 1st of hopefully many titles !! 

Plus a belated happy New year to you all

Hey- just so you know, if anyone wants to have a spreadsheet made of something FM-related, i'd gladly do it for you. I still want to do FM stuff but right now i'm at a loss on what to do. Luckily the timing just happens to cross with me not having much to do spreadsheet-wise, so... fire the requests at me, will you? :D

Nice to see this thread, easy to discuss FM stuff here than making a thread with images and stuff lol!

I never won a continental title since I started playing FM12-19 (and shuffling through different downloaded and self-made tactics, LLM or other kinds of saves), got some inspiration from @TerminalPortugal about doing a "Grand Tour" type of save in FM20 with downloaded DBs from different users and hopefully it will be fun for me to go around the world and winning domestic titles, hopefully larger titles, starting in the Seychelles :D

14 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

Ok, so in Andorra you start as semi professional.  In San Marino you are amateur.  So San Marino it is.  San Giovanni has been done a few times so maybe Virtus Acquaviva?

On my earlier save Virtus was easily the weakest club of the country, worse than San Giovanni. So that would be a good plan.

Uh, just realized in the Grand Tour save that I forgot some countries and leagues needed like Japan for example, not sure if I should continue or start a new save after downloading more countries and leagues.

How do I compare the numbers of countries available with the databases I need to download?

On 22/12/2019 at 08:55, Wavelberry said:

It got worse before it got better.

d8aaf8841640b564746a3d3546187334.png

On 23/12/2019 at 19:48, Wavelberry said:

Remember this? I've only gone and stayed up... HA HA HA

Remember this?

Well now we doing other things...

0f2afa535e47953854a3905d445d2d33.png

I've noticed my ASEC Mimosas side have been slowing down, so to speak, in the Kolo Toure save. My 4-4-2 was killer during the first half of the season. Surely it hasn't been sussed already. How long does it usually take before you have to reinvent the system you use? 

Btw, if anyone is looking for a good career in Africa, Stade D'Abidjan of Ligue 2 in the Ivory Coast would be good. They dominated in the 60's, winning the CAF Champions League in '66. But since then they've been unable to do much and find themselves down in Ligue 2. With two rivals dominating the title haul, ASEC Mimosas and Africa Sports, it would be a very interesting save. 

So... I need help and ideas :lol:

Some context. I recently started somewhat of a "journeyman" where I just began unemployed, middle tier badges/reputation/etc. I eventually found my way at mid-table Lille OSC after a couple seasons at QPR. It was ****ing great. Really great. I am by no means a tactical expert on FM and usually just stick to what I know - but this time it was different and I really began to broaden my horizons with things. I decided to go strikerless - mainly due to the fact Lille had no GOOD striker at the club, and I placed a real heavy emphasis on youth development whilst there. The whole lot. Every coaching category was 4.5*+, I signed fantastic mentors, developed my youngsters with regular - but not too much game time and all-round thoroughly enjoyed my time there. We went from a mid-table side to directly challenging PSG in just under 2 seasons, something that I did not expect.

I got really lost in this save, in a good way. I'd usually just instant result the majority of games, sign and sell 10-15+ players a season and not really build much connection with my team.

... Then the bug hits. This was just after we were knocked out of the Champions League in the quarter final by holders Liverpool. The board only expected us to reach the group stages and throughout my time there I had either an A/A+ rating. That sounds, sort of, fair enough. If they expected us to challenge for silverware, we certainly weren't ready for it in the Champions League. BUT... here was the league table. I'd argue we were doing more than just challenging for silverware, we were on course for a 94+ point season - which when predicted to finish 5th, was a ****ing great season.

Just to add some context of how TRULY lost and enamoured I was in this save - I went to the extent of creating external data vis, mainly just for fun, but to better understand my players, my style, where to improve etc. Example 1 is a great example of my change in style for this save. This style is essentially a complete rip-off of what Statsbomb does (or did - their stuff has changed a bit now with the percentile data present!) but it showed to me the importance of my left back, a player who was both combative and creative to *nearly* the extreme. A player approaching 30, not very quick, by no means a superstar - someone I'd usually just replace with a wonderkid or something. But no, we made it work with him and it was really gratifying to achieve that as someone who is by no means great tactically on FM. Example 2 took me far too long and is by no means perfect, but I've always been intrigued by xG, it's applications, how it would impact FM etc. I only ever made this for one match but it was fun and helped me to understand how my chances on FM would be rated by a generic, typical xG chart based upon shot type and location.

As you can see - it wasn't really an instant result and get on with it type of save, I genuinely reached a new appreciation for FM and what I could do whilst on it. So, to the point, I'm essentially here to ask for ideas on a new save, what would or could be interesting and also if people would have any interest in me documenting it as a career update on this forum. It's not something I've done before - but I hadn't done a save like Lille before and I thoroughly ****ing loved that so what's to say this couldn't be the same. I've already seen the bug reported and acknowledged on the bug report section multiple times so whilst I'm sad the save is over I'm glad to have experienced something new on the game and not been sacked for being... well... ****.

Just as a last thing - what a damn player this guy was for me. I will forever regret not being able to see him develop fully. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased and used this in my game.

MWCaHS.jpg

So it is just a one off ?  can only be done once in a save? that is a big let down.:(

Intake without using the DLC

QP7uVW.png

Intake when I used the DLC

1Jdcid.png

I was expecting more with this DLC, oh well 2 ways to take it, I guess my little cheat/boost is over and now I just have to manage with what the game gives me.

@Jimbokav1971I took another look at your [FMT20] Sunshine on Leith. thread, interesting to see what the intakes are like,

EDIT: Got 2 Declan Bloomfield's lol, shame both looked decent but I had to let one go, would just be too confusing having both.

Edited by Maw74

I haven't played FM in 3 weeks. 

04f6322aee37b8814bb2365acebe3858.png

Not even loaded it up since then. I don't think I have played it properly since before Christmas. I haven't gone this long without loading the game up in about..... probably since about 2003 when I bought CM03/04. 

I don;t quite know what it is. I loved FM19 but FM20 just hasn't done it for me. 

On 14/02/2020 at 21:32, Maw74 said:

Purchased and used this in my game.

MWCaHS.jpg

So it is just a one off ?  can only be done once in a save? that is a big let down.:(

Intake without using the DLC

QP7uVW.png

Intake when I used the DLC

1Jdcid.png

I was expecting more with this DLC, oh well 2 ways to take it, I guess my little cheat/boost is over and now I just have to manage with what the game gives me.

@Jimbokav1971I took another look at your [FMT20] Sunshine on Leith. thread, interesting to see what the intakes are like,

EDIT: Got 2 Declan Bloomfield's lol, shame both looked decent but I had to let one go, would just be too confusing having both.

I'm not really sure to be honest.

I used it in the Sunshine on Leith save and it improved things, (a little too much in my opinion), but then I seem to remember that one of my last intakes was even better even without the boost so does it make much difference in the grand scheme of things? 

You get what you get and that's it. 

Yes I think you can use it only once I think. It's probably once too often if you ask me. 

6 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I'm not really sure to be honest.

I used it in the Sunshine on Leith save and it improved things, (a little too much in my opinion), but then I seem to remember that one of my last intakes was even better even without the boost so does it make much difference in the grand scheme of things? 

You get what you get and that's it. 

Yes I think you can use it only once I think. It's probably once too often if you ask me. 

Yeah you are probably right, probably a good thing I can't use it again, temptation would always be there, now I just have to get on with things, actually that intake made the transfer window a nightmare in terms of offers coming in, we lost the GK early, signed him to a youth contract but Aston Villa grabbed him from us, got several offers for the others but quickly offered them professional contracts.

So have you not played FM at all?

I think the longest I have gone without playing is a week, if I can't get into whatever the latest addition is I will just go to older game, sometimes takes me a while to fully move on from older additions anyway, especially if I have a big save in progress, actually the save I have going on FM18 only got started in August 2019 and is already my longest save on that version lol

Also in terms of youth intakes, my favourite save was the FMC15 save with Stopsley Utd, even though the youth intakes were small and often rubbish I still managed to bring quite a few through and they had great careers with us, even if the star rating was low.

Just dug this out......

STAR PLAYER!

DOMINIC FLOOD

He might not be such a star now but for a player that has never been judged as anything more
than a useful player he has had a great career and delivered superbly for us.

IL6gsr.jpg

zwJQtb.jpg

Edited by Maw74

Currently starting a new British and Irish save, to test out a tactical change I fancy, but possibly as a long term career

Started unemployed and been offered an interview with Athlone Town, who are bottom by five points with seven games to play, but I get the greatest possible board request

ae0eec0cd760d977d695f1f971d9d66b.png

It is required to finish bottom of the league.

So if I somehow take the worst team in the league on a run while I test out a formation, and make the heady heights of 9th, I could fail my aim...

2 hours ago, scousevasey said:

Currently starting a new British and Irish save, to test out a tactical change I fancy, but possibly as a long term career

Started unemployed and been offered an interview with Athlone Town, who are bottom by five points with seven games to play, but I get the greatest possible board request

ae0eec0cd760d977d695f1f971d9d66b.png

It is required to finish bottom of the league.

So if I somehow take the worst team in the league on a run while I test out a formation, and make the heady heights of 9th, I could fail my aim...

Required :eek:

1 hour ago, Maw74 said:

Required :eek:

I didn't get that job, but I did get another with the same condition

8eada9f302494924d66456af58553cca.png

The first one was probably to do with the lateness in the season with little chance of beating the target

WIth the current job I took over after 8/20 games

c70326aa6dc32336a1f7562a71bbc80e.png

With only a three point gap to 10th, so was offered the chance to improve the requirements but stuck at the bottom

It is a good opportunity to test our my odd formation plans though as there is no relegation and a chance to bed in over half a season

2e743fd575d30a948dff2f98187ea916.png

We have gone past Strikerless and are now at defenderless too with everyone in the DM or AM strata.  Results are questionable currently

100a8a79a6af5013505b16414c542d19.png d39fc61e907fef5aab5612c7f988eea4.png

But there is time to work on it

8 hours ago, scousevasey said:

It is a good opportunity to test our my odd formation plans though as there is no relegation and a chance to bed in over half a season

2e743fd575d30a948dff2f98187ea916.png

I see someone's trying really hard to fulfill the board's requests. :D 

Nice experiment tho.

20 hours ago, noikeee said:

I see someone's trying really hard to fulfill the board's requests. :D 

Nice experiment tho.

Part of the attraction of the team was that there was no chance of missing the board request.

But the issue I am facing is the players are awful, and playing out of position - I am tempted to add an international manager and focusing on an age group team to develop this as I would be able to choose from players who fit the positions easily. I am currently posting about the tactic in the tactics forum, which I will aim to continue updating instead of doing it as updates here or a career (unless I get it working and then start a career using it somewhere)

5 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

I echo Jimbo’s thoughts about FM20. 

19 was my longest save ever. This year, I haven’t even posted a thread

I've not played a season on FM20 yet. My interest started to go during FM19, but I'm sure I'll get back into it one day.

I'll hopefully get back into it when the joint save reaches me. I had a pretty fun time on the save I started on day 1 of the beta, but only progressing like... 4 seasons (plus another 2 in Oceania) in 5 months is a bit too little, I agree.

Might also start another save once the final update's out, probably gonna make a Dutch league system and take my hometown club to the top.