The New FMCU General Discussion Thread

deltablue

43 minutes ago, Minuy600 said:

I prefer South Africa in the aspect that it's more straightforward competition wise, while preferring Malaysia due to it's obscurity and interesting but manageable mechanics. Thanks for joining along if I do ever make a thread about it. Not sure if I will though.

If managing in Malaysia get used to a lot of regens having Mohd in their name, can be very confusing!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Malaysia is horrendous, worst country I've ever played in, horrible football, horrible players, confusing league system, I even got promoted and never figured out how or why. Kept me off from Asia altogether for at least some 5 versions of FM.

On 15/09/2018 at 16:28, Makoto Nakamura said:

If managing in Malaysia get used to a lot of regens having Mohd in their name, can be very confusing!

I struggled over something similar in South Korea. Can't see me going back to Asia unless the J League comes into the game. 

Cheers for the advice lads, decided to go with a different thing. The most popular career on Sortitoutsi is a fun 'climbing the ladder' thing in Europe, so i'll do just that. Into Kosovo, San Marino or Andorra we go!

2i5fip.jpg

Can't wait for the awards, should be another great set of nominees this year. When can we expect voting to commence, @deltablue? Also, I was thinking we could have a discussion on adding some new categories and creating an all-time awards table.

3 hours ago, oriole01 said:

2i5fip.jpg

Can't wait for the awards, should be another great set of nominees this year. When can we expect voting to commence, @deltablue? Also, I was thinking we could have a discussion on adding some new categories and creating an all-time awards table.

Hey wait, this forum has awards?

Wait a minute...

*Googles to see if last year had a thread*

Woah I got 2nd place?! Well thanks everyone who voted last year. :Bowen:

Edited by git2thachoppa

9 hours ago, oriole01 said:

2i5fip.jpg

I'll probably get the ball rolling later next week. What categories did you have in mind?

11 hours ago, oriole01 said:

I think you got second place two years ago too :lol:

Yikes, I can see I was nominated in 2016 in the same category too, but I didn't see results given other than the winner. I'd no idea 5 people voted for me last year though, that would've perked me up a bit if I had haha.

On 18/09/2018 at 03:37, deltablue said:

I'll probably get the ball rolling later next week. What categories did you have in mind?

I was thinking about bringing back the Best Player award, and adding something like a "Best Moment" for specific achievements. That could also be divided into things like "Funniest Moment" or "Most Painful Moment" if people want to do that too.

EDIT: Maybe a "best story" too, for threads with a narrative focus.

Edited by oriole01

4 minutes ago, oriole01 said:

I was thinking about bringing back the Best Player award, and adding something like a "Best Moment" for specific achievements. That could also be divided into things like "Funniest Moment" or "Most Painful Moment" if people want to do that too.

Perhaps a “Match of the Year” category?  Nominees would probably be matches that were updated live.

15 hours ago, oriole01 said:

EDIT: Maybe a "best story" too, for threads with a narrative focus.

15 hours ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Perhaps a “Match of the Year” category?  Nominees would probably be matches that were updated live.

The trouble with specific categories like those is that depending on how closely you follow specific careers, you're not likely to remember such things from other people's threads, especially if they weren't very recent. That's one of the reasons for not always having a Best Player category, as unless there's someone who really stands out, no one is really going to have any idea who to pick.

Best Story might be a little more workable however.

3 hours ago, deltablue said:

The trouble with specific categories like those is that depending on how closely you follow specific careers, you're not likely to remember such things from other people's threads, especially if they weren't very recent. That's one of the reasons for not always having a Best Player category, as unless there's someone who really stands out, no one is really going to have any idea who to pick.

That fair enough. There would be a lot of bias towards recent posts in a category like that. I was just spitballing. 

I like the idea of having more specific ones that could go to the "little things" that happens in threads like the examples given by @oriole01 and @Fer Fuchs Ake and I quite like the idea @Deisler26 gives here on how to select those. Having a "ballot" for these specific categories could be an effective way of streamlining the votes a bit. 

It could be you (@deltablue) who picked those entrants for the categories (but I suspect it'd be a lot of work for one man who already does the rest of the awards as well) so maybe a duo or trio of the people who venture/reads/comments this subforum the most could be a good group to suggest the ballot entries to you. Remembering the events that unfolded in the threads is a big part of the whole "blogging your save"-premise for me, so I'd love that inclusion. 

18 minutes ago, Benjoe said:

I like the idea of having more specific ones that could go to the "little things" that happens in threads like the examples given by @oriole01 and @Fer Fuchs Ake and I quite like the idea @Deisler26 gives here on how to select those. Having a "ballot" for these specific categories could be an effective way of streamlining the votes a bit. 

It could be you (@deltablue) who picked those entrants for the categories (but I suspect it'd be a lot of work for one man who already does the rest of the awards as well) so maybe a duo or trio of the people who venture/reads/comments this subforum the most could be a good group to suggest the ballot entries to you. Remembering the events that unfolded in the threads is a big part of the whole "blogging your save"-premise for me, so I'd love that inclusion. 

Interesting idea. However there's no chance of looking through all the threads myself, especially since that would involve potentially going back a long way. The image load times alone for some threads would make that far more work than it's worth. However if other people (with decent internet speeds) wanted to take on that task I wouldn't object to that.

28 minutes ago, deltablue said:

Interesting idea. However there's no chance of looking through all the threads myself, especially since that would involve potentially going back a long way. The image load times alone for some threads would make that far more work than it's worth. However if other people (with decent internet speeds) wanted to take on that task I wouldn't object to that.

I thought of that too and for next year for instance, if it was announced that you, we - the users of the forum - or just a select group of individuals would be looking for entries to certain categories, people could pinpoint these in real time and note the thread, page and such in advance, so you wouldn't have to go a year back to catch up, because it was already done earlier. Maybe you'd have a list of 10-20 potential entrants from throughout the year that you could then cut to 5 or so and put on the ballot. 

18 hours ago, rodesire said:

Arent' they the Andorran club with Portuguese intakes?  makes their youth team incredibly OP

Yes, but considering this was the first season on this save i'm suprised at just how insane their lead was. They're on their way on doing it again too.

I've been looking over the past couple of awards threads (since I had forgotten to archive both before now) to get into the spirit of this year, though I'm still struggling for ideas beyond getting a new red carpet reporter. The co-host is anyone's guess, including mine, as I try and think of a new twist each year, as well as trying to find someone after what happened with Miss Piggy last year. It could easily be my baby niece or a cardboard cutout of Meghan Markle :D

Last year was definitely a high point in terms of engagement with record votes and record-breaking results, but it hope it can still be another good one this year. I'm pinpointing Friday 12th as the potential awards night this year, and will open up this year's awards season later this week. Just need to decide my own set of votes now.

image.thumb.png.eec37e5fb71777fcad68f5e7c7dc9a77.png

image.png.7819bd0f73dfc55d2f3b6db4a1df7115.png

I am barely bothered with the fact chances are negligable i'm going to make the playoffs, this is just too funny to be upset :lol:

(We also have a considerable chance to win the cup too, so)

Edited by Minuy600

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, withnail316 said:

So the SPL cancelled my Saturday game before we play Benfica in midweek, then they schedule THREE league games between the first leg on Tuesday and the second the following Wednesday. Thanks lads, thanks a bunch. 

1107844332_InvernessCaledonianThistle_FixturesSchedule-3.thumb.png.0052c79d0d92b3ce3c9090e41720229d.png

What a week...

Thinking hard about my FM19 save. 

A return to Youth Only in Regensburg in the lower reaches of German football. (I think they are playable after holidaying). I did this before but got sacked during the 2nd season. In Germany, kids can't play league games until they are 18, (I think), and they come through the Academy as young as 14 if I remember correctly, so getting from the start through to the point where the promoted kids can actually play is a real struggle without signing players, (and ultimately proved too much for me). If I'm going to do this, I might have to work out some sort of strategy to get me through the first 3-4 seasons without being sacked. It was hugely gutting to get sacked the last time. 

A return to Youth Only in Gibraltar. I support Barnet and there is a young (GIB) player who has recently left us and moved to (GIB). He has also made 2 Senior Int appearances for (GIB) and they have won both. I would love to take over the team he plays for, manage him for the rest of his career, (he's still a teenager), and then continue the save long after he has gone. 

A return to Youth Only in Iceland. I have really enjoyed playing in Iceland and don't think that I "finished" the save properly. I was never able to achieve proper European success and the closest I got was the Europa League Semi-Final I think. (If I still had that save I would be re-loading and playing right now).

Youth only in a Country I have never played in before. (South America perhaps?)

Youth only managing Barnet in England? That was my plan for FM18, but I sort of got side-tracked and went for sort of half Journeyman and half Youth Only.

A Random Journeyman save where decisions will be made at random, (possibly by the 1st person responding in the thread). 

Decisions decisions decisions. :onmehead:

25 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

Random journeyman

12 minutes ago, withnail316 said:

Another vote for journeyman from me.

Sell it to me guys. Is there anything about the way that I play that suits Journeyman, or the way I update, or is it just a save that interest you most?

3 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Sell it to me guys. Is there anything about the way that I play that suits Journeyman, or the way I update, or is it just a save that interest you most?

There will be a lot of Youth Only coming up. I'm thinking of your award chances :brock:

But also, just think, bumming round Scandinavia, then going to Barnet, then moving on to the big clubs

Just now, Deisler26 said:

There will be a lot of Youth Only coming up. I'm thinking of your award chances :brock:

But also, just think, bumming round Scandinavia, then going to Barnet, then moving on to the big clubs

You know something, I properly had the arse when I realised that I don't think I was even nominated for the Fountain of Youth award the other night. I mean it only last for a second or two, but I was not a happy chappy and this is not a joke! :herman: :lol: 

I didn't expect for a minute to beat some of the amazing threads that have been created this year (Makoto had about 3 better than I'm capable of), but.... [goes back to check].... yep, I wasn't even nominated in the Fountain of Youth category this season! :mad: I feel like I have  un-finished business here.  :lol:

Seriously though. It will either be Journeyman or Youth Only. I won't be doing a hybrid save in FM19, as much as I enjoyed dipping my toe in the Journeyman waters in FM18. It's all or nothing for me I'm afraid. 

Just now, Jimbokav1971 said:

From a personal point of view, I don't really follow youth only saves. One of the most important aspects in football is how clubs use the transfer market, and I tend to swerve saves which ignore that as there are no professional clubs out there that would ever tell a manager not to bring anybody in.

Ultimately it's your save mate and you'll do as you please (as you should) but if you want to open your audience, that may help.

You could set transfer guidelines perhaps instead, such as not signing players older than 20 or something.

Random journeyman. I tried a couple in 17 and 18 and had a lot of fun for the short time the saves lasted. Just turn on the random country generator and select the amount you want, and boom! You have your career set.

1 minuto atrás, Jimbokav1971 disse:

Is this me copying @noikeeeor @BoxToBoxor both? :lol:

Still honestly undecided. 

Backstory so you can get the reference: @BoxToBox uses that gif compulsively. Some say he's pictured in the gif himself, but these rumours are yet to be confirmed despite strong suspicion.

I'm just giggling at the thought of a South America save.

giphy.gif 

18 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Backstory so you can get the reference: @BoxToBox uses that gif compulsively. Some say he's pictured in the gif himself, but these rumours are yet to be confirmed despite strong suspicion.

I'm just giggling at the thought of a South America save.

giphy.gif 

giphy.gif

Well, I've managed in Argentina Chile and Uruguay but never Brazil... maybe in FM19.

Costa Rica is Central America not South America but I've played there too, good times.

Edited by noikeee