The New FMCU General Discussion Thread

deltablue

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Minuy600 said:

At times, I do wish my careers would've been more noted across the community though... It's no biggie as I enjoy writing my quick-to-end stories either way.

I am enjoying perusing your saves Minuy, but rarely comment on other saves unless I have a question or a constructive addition.

In the same way as you I am fairly new to posting, and while my thread doesn't get much commenting action there are a fair number of views between posts, so clearly some people are reading.

If you are after a thread where progress is not rapid, it may be worth looking at mine where my team have regressed under my charge.  I will say that having decided to write about it is making me want to stick at it more than I might have in the past with the lack of success, partially because I am enjoying writing about it, and looking back at the details instead of just clicking, and partially because the views keep ticking up and I don't want to disappoint my 'audience'

On 06/01/2019 at 18:01, decapitated said:

Is it frowned upon to do 2 FMCU threads at once? Playing with Gyazo gave me the idea of an international management thread where every goal is captured and posted in gif format.

I don't see a problem as long as both games/threads are active and you're not known to keep making games/threads and then abandoning them.

6 hours ago, Marios1999 said:

Quick question, has anybody made a Moldovian thread in this forum?

There were two on FM18, neither lasted very long as I remember it. Not sure about before that.

On 09/01/2019 at 14:51, Marios1999 said:

Quick question, has anybody made a Moldovian thread in this forum?

I tried to have a save with Sheriff I think, don't think I made a thread. All went tits up as you rely too heavily on foreign players. 

3 hours ago, ToMexico!! said:

I tried to have a save with Sheriff I think, don't think I made a thread. All went tits up as you rely too heavily on foreign players. 

so that doesn't bode well with my 3rd division youth only save i guess :D

Ah, difficult timing for a thread cause I'm entering exam period for the winter semester, tough life of a history/archaeology student :D probably going to throw an update here and there on the appropriate topic (think we have one, right?)

>Loses 0-3 against Watford, missing every chance possible
>Wins 3-1 against Atletico Madrid in the EL despite being dominated

If only we weren't relegation threatened in the PL, then you could say i'm having a brilliant time with Leicester so far.

Edited by Minuy600

Stumbled across this forum while halfway through a night shift. Hoping to combine my passion for writing and Football Manager. Looking forward to sharing my stories and anecdotes with you and reading about yours in return. Though I must say the majority of the career / club choices make mine appear very vanilla and boring :D

The only annoying thing about being at work is I don't have access to my game to start filling out my thread! 

2 hours ago, Mandy42 said:

Stumbled across this forum while halfway through a night shift. Hoping to combine my passion for writing and Football Manager. Looking forward to sharing my stories and anecdotes with you and reading about yours in return. Though I must say the majority of the career / club choices make mine appear very vanilla and boring :D

The only annoying thing about being at work is I don't have access to my game to start filling out my thread! 

Welcome to the Forum :) 

As long as you enjoy playing and writing we will enjoy reading! 

8 hours ago, Mandy42 said:

Welcome to the forum, mate. When I first started posting here regularly about 7-8 years ago, I barely stepped foot out of England on FM. Reading other adventures here encouraged me to spread my wings and try other leagues - maybe it'll do the same for you. 

Best of luck. 

so this might seem like a stupid question, but could someone explain to me the "fraud" tag / game threads as they look interesting but the title doesn't seem to give much of a clue about what they rules / premise are.

Cheers in advance :)

2 hours ago, Mandy42 said:

so this might seem like a stupid question, but could someone explain to me the "fraud" tag / game threads as they look interesting but the title doesn't seem to give much of a clue about what they rules / premise are.

Cheers in advance :)

It's basically a running joke -- fraud tactics being anything too hipster, too strange, too successful, too predictable, too...anything, really.  It's kind of a catch-all, friendly insult.  You'll also see it used as a compliment -- that a save idea or tactic is "deliciously fraudulent."  

As I think about it, it is the forum equivalent of "dude."  The meaning is wholly dependent on how you incorporate "fraud" into a sentence/work, a million different meanings...all of them good-natured.

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c4009312e68464f77

Edited by ManUtd1

7 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

It's basically a running joke -- fraud tactics being anything too hipster, too strange, too successful, too predictable, too...anything, really.  It's kind of a catch-all, friendly insult.  You'll also see it used as a compliment -- that a save idea or tactic is "deliciously fraudulent."  

As I think about it, it is the forum equivalent of "dude."  The meaning is wholly dependent on how you incorporate "fraud" into a sentence/work, a million different meanings...all of them good-natured.

A deliciously fraudulent explanation.

18 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

I see your fraudness and raise you a GK with 78 goals. :lol:

18 minutes ago, git2thachoppa said:

@Makoto Nakamura

I was searching 'Iran' and one of your threads came up... so in 2066, Brighton win the Premier League, Man Utd 2nd, and Iran win the World Cup. I can't wait!

Unfortunately they've not made it past the Quarter Final in my current save, and I'm in 2127. :lol:

Question for you all (this thread is fascinating reading by the way): I'm in my third season on this save, having chosen Port Vale to manage. I won promotion to League One in season two and I'm battling relegation in season three. About midway though, I'm getting more and more clubs knocking on my door inviting me for interviews. So far I've declined all of them, but last night got my first ask from a Championship club. I declined it as well, but as the new Port Vale board are trying to build a stadium, I think I may be at about the ceiling with this club.  How do you approach switching clubs? My leaning is to wait until the season is over, and I want to wait for a club whose finances are at least Secure (and probably in The Championship), but I thought I would ask the experts here. How do you handle this?

Rob 

1 minute ago, IndyManager said:

Question for you all (this thread is fascinating reading by the way): I'm in my third season on this save, having chosen Port Vale to manage. I won promotion to League One in season two and I'm battling relegation in season three. About midway though, I'm getting more and more clubs knocking on my door inviting me for interviews. So far I've declined all of them, but last night got my first ask from a Championship club. I declined it as well, but as the new Port Vale board are trying to build a stadium, I think I may be at about the ceiling with this club.  How do you approach switching clubs? My leaning is to wait until the season is over, and I want to wait for a club whose finances are at least Secure (and probably in The Championship), but I thought I would ask the experts here. How do you handle this?

Rob 

It depends on circumstances for me, but the club offering the job is more important than the time of year.

In most of my careers, I aim to stay and develop a club, but your example sounds like a journeyman save, and in those I would have gone to the Championship interview at any time of the season. If the club is a stepping stone, then I would use it as one.

I rarely manage that way though, I tend to set myself a specific challenge. Here I would aim such to stabilise Vale in the top half of League One after promotion first, and then look to move on. If the right job isn't there after that, set another challenge of going up again, but if the right job comes in before that, go to the interview at the very least, and make a decision from there. 

32 minutes ago, withnail316 said:

It depends on circumstances for me, but the club offering the job is more important than the time of year.

In most of my careers, I aim to stay and develop a club, but your example sounds like a journeyman save, and in those I would have gone to the Championship interview at any time of the season. If the club is a stepping stone, then I would use it as one.

I rarely manage that way though, I tend to set myself a specific challenge. Here I would aim such to stabilise Vale in the top half of League One after promotion first, and then look to move on. If the right job isn't there after that, set another challenge of going up again, but if the right job comes in before that, go to the interview at the very least, and make a decision from there. 

thanks for responding. It's probably the same sentiment that gets me in trouble with sticking with certain under-performing players, but I just feel funny leaving a team in mid-season ( I know IRL managers do it all the time). When you say "journeyman" i keep thinking of  Harry Redknapp or Dick Advocaat, managing every team under the sun. For me it would more hopefully be two or three clubs total, only leaving for a significant opportunity to upgrade and at a time when the break will be the least painful. 

If you go to interview mid-season and decline, are there repercussions from the original club? I think in previous versions of FM I remember a chairman setting out at contract time that there would be if I sniffed about elsewhere. I didn't see that when I signed with Port Vale, but not sure if that has to do with a chairman or club profile, or a game version.

4 minutes ago, IndyManager said:

thanks for responding. It's probably the same sentiment that gets me in trouble with sticking with certain under-performing players, but I just feel funny leaving a team in mid-season ( I know IRL managers do it all the time). When you say "journeyman" i keep thinking of  Harry Redknapp or Dick Advocaat, managing every team under the sun. For me it would more hopefully be two or three clubs total, only leaving for a significant opportunity to upgrade and at a time when the break will be the least painful. 

If you go to interview mid-season and decline, are there repercussions from the original club? I think in previous versions of FM I remember a chairman setting out at contract time that there would be if I sniffed about elsewhere. I didn't see that when I signed with Port Vale, but not sure if that has to do with a chairman or club profile, or a game version.

I think it depends on your standing at the club. That said, in my current (FM13) save, I was both a club legend and had an untouchable job status, yet was still threatened with the sack for applying for the Roma job from Inverness. 

And yeah, journeyman is a loose term. To me it just means a plan for a multi-club save.

I've seen a lot of people leave for a 'better' club then yearn for when they were managing their old club, sometimes going back or reloading the save, but it's not the same.

It's simply a case of are you still having fun. If you are, no need to change. If you're getting bored or just playing the game through habit, maybe it's time for a change.

18 hours ago, IndyManager said:

Rob 

I'm no expert but...I generally don't switch clubs unless that's the plan at the outset of the save, or unless I become unhappy at the club I am at and actively want to leave. It doesn't like you are at that point yet. 

What I would say is maybe you start going to interviews, (you don't have to accept the job even if it's offered), and you will then be better able to marry up your style of Management with a board that shares your vision. I don't know how you play, but I am very much Youth development based so if I join a club that has loads of money and wants me to sign high profile players but at the same time play a possession style of football, then it's not going to be a good fit. Go to the interviews and when you do, do a bit of research about the club.

How are they financially?
How does the squad look? Is it balanced, ageing, or with many of the better players soon to be out of contract. 
What are the facilities like?
Are they on a general upwards trend or downwards? 
How long do they give their Managers? 
Do you like the club colours? I know this seems completely superficial, but it honestly has an impact on me. 
The biggest point is, can you see the club and/or board fitting in with how you want to manage and vice versa. 

Generally I would say that if you are not sure that you want to leave, then you should stay until you have had enough. 

Well my Vegas save is on hold/possibly dead due to a "Save cannot be loaded issue" ive started again in Level 12 in england with the intention of doing a bit of a journeyman save going to play through a few seasons then see if i want to start a thread

was at Sunderland West End, but tonight i take up the offer of Crook Town to be their manager in Tier 11

I wanna continue with Leicester but man! Do I get demotivated whenever I lose a match that I should've won.

Might make a secondary save... someday... Having trouble to play the game right now in all honesty.

2 hours ago, Minuy600 said:

I wanna continue with Leicester but man! Do I get demotivated whenever I lose a match that I should've won.

Might make a secondary save... someday... Having trouble to play the game right now in all honesty.

I'm tempted by a secondary save, Brother in Law wants me to take on Norwich, and I suppose being from Halifax I should make Halifax Town masters of the universe. That's before I throw caution to the wind and work my way through the challenge forum.

4 hours ago, Minuy600 said:

Almere City!

30 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

Almere City!

Decent idea, i'm building a FM17 database with some added countries and Dutch divisions and I am pretty tempted to at least manage in Holland.

Though my own New Zealand Premiership DB is hard to resist...