The New FMCU General Discussion Thread

deltablue

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 30/11/2018 at 18:47, BoxToBox said:

Depends on the thread, I can get behind most if they're having fun. @Bedese for example usually only does end of season and intake day updates, and his threads are always great.

The only ones I really don't get into are the ones that are links to youtube, but that's just personal taste.

On 30/11/2018 at 19:07, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Yeah that's true. @Bedese would be an exception. It's not a hard and fast rule but I just generally prefer monthly updates.

:lock:

On 30/11/2018 at 16:54, withnail316 said:

I struggle to get into saves that only update once a year as you don't really get swept up in any kind of narrative. Was it a close title race? Did they sneak into Europe in the last weeks? How about that cup run with a tiny club, or that desperate battle against relegation?

In an annual update it just becomes a "so we won the league..." and misses all the drama. 

This is why I'm entirely contextual or do the best of both.

Like my first job was match by match, because it was my first.

Same for international football because there are so few matches, in convenient spurts, and if you lose or draw just 2 that can knock you out. There is a lot of drama.

But in charge of a Serie B team that went under and revived at the bottom tier, or a club that got relegated that shouldn't have so will destroy the lower division getting promotion again, or just being a midtable side, there isn't any drama. So a recap doesn't take anything away.

But you can do both. My recaps sometimes went month by month, or period by period. You can still have suspense and not reveal the outcome until the final sentence. Or you can recap most of the season, but the big final few matches can be match by match.

And now that I'm in England, 2 decades into the future, I'm going match by match, at least at first. Because each time I face a team, I can give an update on how that club's game future went and where they are now and what crazy name is managing them. It also means you know whether beating Newcastle United is an expected win or a huge result, or whether Ashley Cole managing Preston North End is the epitome of **** or the biggest news in world football.

As well as an ex Barnet FC player playing in the top league in Gibraltar, I've just found out that there is also an ex Barnet FC player playing for FC Andorra. If I could just get 1 to go and play in Iceland and another to play in San Marino then I would be laughing as far as career options go. 

I've decided to start a new FMCU game starting at Dnipro in the Ukrainian 4th tier (non-league). I liked the idea of starting a game by reviving a fallen giant (Dnipro are traditionally the 3rd biggest club in Ukraine, won the Soviet league twice in the 1980s and got to the EL final a few years ago). Dnipro was relegated to the 4th tier by default due to financial issues and have a mid table 3rd tier squad in the 4th tier (big drop in quality between us and 2nd in the league) so after half a dozen league games I've yet to win a game by less than 3 goals as the quality is so poor compared with the squad I have. It's getting a bit boring already (hence the need for instant result), but I expect it to get a lot more difficult  when we get promoted (in the first round of the Ukranian cup we were beaten on penalties at home by a 3rd tier side) but at the moment it's a foregone conclusion we'll get the top slot and into the playoffs. Interestingly Dnipro have the 3rd best training/youth training/youth recruitment facilities set up in the country. I expect quite a few of this seasons regens will go straight into the first team, but we are losing 20k a month maintaining these facilities which would see us go bust before the new year so downgrading might be needed. I'll post the full thread with screenshots once I get past the Winter Break. 

4 minutes ago, decapitated said:

I've decided to start a new FMCU game starting at Dnipro in the Ukrainian 4th tier (non-league). I liked the idea of starting a game by reviving a fallen giant (Dnipro are traditionally the 3rd biggest club in Ukraine, won the Soviet league twice in the 1980s and got to the EL final a few years ago). Dnipro was relegated to the 4th tier by default due to financial issues and have a mid table 3rd tier squad in the 4th tier (big drop in quality between us and 2nd in the league) so after half a dozen league games I've yet to win a game by less than 3 goals as the quality is so poor compared with the squad I have. It's getting a bit boring already (hence the need for instant result), but I expect it to get a lot more difficult  when we get promoted (in the first round of the Ukranian cup we were beaten on penalties at home by a 3rd tier side) but at the moment it's a foregone conclusion we'll get the top slot and into the playoffs. Interestingly Dnipro have the 3rd best training/youth training/youth recruitment facilities set up in the country. I expect quite a few of this seasons regens will go straight into the first team, but we are losing 20k a month maintaining these facilities which would see us go bust before the new year so downgrading might be needed. I'll post the full thread with screenshots once I get past the Winter Break. 

This sounds interesting, I'll make sure to follow the thread once it's up. :thup:

Looks like I'm getting a new laptop at long last (I've had this one since early 2012, and nursing it along since 2016) so I'll FINALLY be moving on from FM13. OK, I'll probably just move up to 15 as I bought that but was never able to run it on this machine, but I can't wait to get stuck in to a "new" version of the game. Merry bloody Christmas!

Haven’t really got into fm this year so I holidayed a year and took over at newly relegated Barrow in the Vanarama North currently on a 23 match league unbeaten run about 8/9 draws in tbe run I also got to the 3rd round of the FA Cup and magic fell on Holker Street almost as I drew West Ham at home.

We gave away 2 penalties during the match both of which my keeper saved!! The clock is ticking away into 4 minutes of overtime and Bang Josh Cullen steps up to score a long range rocket to break our hearts and my hopes of a cash windfall! We came so close and matched upto West Ham in a pulsating cup tie that either team could have won! I’m hoping to keep my run going and get promotion this season and hopefully get to the latter stages of the FA Trophy as we dumped Salford out of the first round so one of the biggest hitters of the competition is out, just need to find our stride as once we score one that’s is we seem to think that’s job done and concede

On 14/12/2018 at 23:24, withnail316 said:

Looks like I'm getting a new laptop at long last (I've had this one since early 2012, and nursing it along since 2016) so I'll FINALLY be moving on from FM13. OK, I'll probably just move up to 15 as I bought that but was never able to run it on this machine, but I can't wait to get stuck in to a "new" version of the game. Merry bloody Christmas!

Hmm. My new laptop seems to be handling 15 with ease, so I might even treat myself to a newer version, although I don't want to jump too far ahead as the game will feel quite alien to me. Might try 16/17.

8 hours ago, withnail316 said:

Hmm. My new laptop seems to be handling 15 with ease, so I might even treat myself to a newer version, although I don't want to jump too far ahead as the game will feel quite alien to me. Might try 16/17.

Going to press on with 15, I think. It's new to me, and that's the main thing. Off to Germany to start with.

Really, really confused. As my new laptop was running 15 so well, I thought I'd upgrade. I found 16 for £7.49, and couldn't resist buying it. Lovely stuff, or so I thought. BUT:

719622157_FootballManager2015_NewGameChooseNations.thumb.png.d5a03ca2427765aaad890fe25bf8779b.png341404042_FootballManager2016_NewGameChooseNations.thumb.png.61e91479b91974c598cd6417cfeffc32.png

Look at the difference in the rating of the same computer between FM15 & FM16! Surely it didn't change that much in 12 months?

Edited by withnail316

1 minute ago, Wavelberry said:

One of them was bugged on that screen and gave me a shonky performance rating one year but it didn't affect me. Think it might be that.

Hoping the bugged one was 16 then. Was tempted to immediately uninstall.

4 hours ago, Wavelberry said:

One of them was bugged on that screen and gave me a shonky performance rating one year but it didn't affect me. Think it might be that.

Just loaded it up again. Not done anything different, but...

2069848691_FootballManager2016_NewGameChooseNations-2.thumb.png.aac1e480ff08a51e2d5c1ffbc3f9a5e0.png

Guess I shall give it a go!

12 hours ago, withnail316 said:

Just loaded it up again. Not done anything different, but...

2069848691_FootballManager2016_NewGameChooseNations-2.thumb.png.aac1e480ff08a51e2d5c1ffbc3f9a5e0.png

Guess I shall give it a go!

Failed. Even with nothing else running, it works the laptop so hard it sounds like it's going to take off.

Will stick to 15.

On 25/12/2018 at 03:26, withnail316 said:

Merry Christmas everybody. Hope Santa brings you all a bit of free time to play FM tomorrow!

Aaarrrggghhhh!!!! The opposite. I'd been updating my narrative almost every day but I've dropped off the front page now as this week I'd been dragged from piller to post with interminable 'parties' when all I wanna do is have some fun - with my FM career. Roll on 2019  :stop:

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 03:44, phnompenhandy said:

Aaarrrggghhhh!!!! The opposite. I'd been updating my narrative almost every day but I've dropped off the front page now as this week I'd been dragged from piller to post with interminable 'parties' when all I wanna do is have some fun - with my FM career. Roll on 2019  :stop:

I've been struggling for time too so my new career hasn't got off the ground. Frustrating. 

I'm simply scared to continue because i'm terrible at FM, losing my last couple of matches at Leicester. The club's in shambles but it's no excuse to being outside the relegation zone on goal difference.

5 minutes ago, Minuy600 said:

I'm simply scared to continue because i'm terrible at FM, losing my last couple of matches at Leicester. The club's in shambles but it's no excuse to being outside the relegation zone on goal difference.

In all seriousness, the stories that really bore me are the ones where the manager wins promotion after promotion, conquering the world. The interesting ones are where the manager struggles, fails and keeps going!

5 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

In all seriousness, the stories that really bore me are the ones where the manager wins promotion after promotion, conquering the world. The interesting ones are where the manager struggles, fails and keeps going!

I know, yet it's not fun if you've been playing for over a year and haven't got any proper silverware in the game. I promise this save will continue eventually, for now I need to gather myself some confidence to play.

On 31/12/2018 at 12:14, phnompenhandy said:

I knew there was a reason you loved me! :lol:

Yesterday evening was my first FM time for well over a month, for one reason or another (just due to motivation and energy really), having already made a start on my first season on the community thread. Since I hadn't done much and didn't remember my players like I would if I was more established at a club (even after a much longer gap) it was odd lookint at my selected line-up ahead of the first match and thinking "Erm... OK I'll go with you guys I guess". Interestingly enough I've hardly had any injuries so far (and I'm now at the start of December), especially not in matches, in contrast to all the complaints about them this year.

On 02/01/2019 at 07:49, deltablue said:

Yesterday evening was my first FM time for well over a month, for one reason or another (just due to motivation and energy really), having already made a start on my first season on the community thread. Since I hadn't done much and didn't remember my players like I would if I was more established at a club (even after a much longer gap) it was odd lookint at my selected line-up ahead of the first match and thinking "Erm... OK I'll go with you guys I guess". Interestingly enough I've hardly had any injuries so far (and I'm now at the start of December), especially not in matches, in contrast to all the complaints about them this year.

Aye, I never really got an unreasonable amount of injuries, but this FM's been especially injury free. I can't remember exactly, but the last few years have been well below realistic amounts.

The forum would be in meltdown with a realistic level of injuries, though! :lol:

On 31/12/2018 at 12:14, phnompenhandy said:

Mine are never boring then!

30 minutes ago, decapitated said:

Is it frowned upon to do 2 FMCU threads at once? Playing with Gyazo gave me the idea of an international management thread where every goal is captured and posted in gif format.

It wouldn't be frowned upon, though personally I wouldn't do that because I would end up abandoning one of the saves. If you think you can manage it though, have at it!

39 minutes ago, decapitated said:

Is it frowned upon to do 2 FMCU threads at once? Playing with Gyazo gave me the idea of an international management thread where every goal is captured and posted in gif format.

It depends on the poster.  Some can do tons of threads and it is fine.  Others can’t without sarcastic comments and being frowned upon.

20 minutes ago, oriole01 said:

It wouldn't be frowned upon, though personally I wouldn't do that because I would end up abandoning one of the saves. If you think you can manage it though, have at it!

Maybe best for me to leave it for now and make sure the Dnipro thread doesn't fall by the wayside, but I would love to read a FMCU thread with gif by gif action on each game if anyone else wants to try it. :)

44 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

FC585182-3CD9-42D4-9AC6-E93548DD9AB1.jpeg.d42213b3eaae80b5aa4e059b1fc24cec.jpeg

Don't do it Deisler. Let him do whatever he wants.

I almost feel bad that don't get the criticism Daz gets. I start over all the time too. Heck I have never reached 2020 in any of my saves yet.

15 hours ago, Minuy600 said:

Don't do it Deisler. Let him do whatever he wants.

I almost feel bad that don't get the criticism Daz gets. I start over all the time too. Heck I have never reached 2020 in any of my saves yet.

Yet I get to 2020 in them all.  But it is ok.  Deisler is doing another RKC save again.  For the 517th time.  So all is ok.  Do as I say, not as I do.

It isn't relevant anymore anyway as I am writing on another site so Deisler & co can enjoy their approved threads in peace.

All is good.  My mental health is in a good place right now, though the same cannot be said of my physical.

Edited by DazRTaylor

I don't know what to make of this, really... It's unfortunate to see this unfold the way it's currently going. Hopefully this doesn't start this big fight that makes people paranoid of each other.

At times, I do wish my careers would've been more noted across the community though... It's no biggie as I enjoy writing my quick-to-end stories either way.