The New FMCU General Discussion Thread

deltablue

Did anyone miss me? :cool:

So after a lengthy break from Football Manager as a whole, I finally returned to the scene with a 'master plan' for FM20. I will run a single save on that game, and if at any point it gets boring, i'm starting over on the save itself by making a new manager and retiring the old one. That way, I will still be able to reach a big year count without having to stress a specific goal too much.

I'm currently trying that tactic on FM18 and may I say I struck gold there? Got hired by Stirling who were bottom of the Scottish League 2 and despite having a 5 point deficit at some point, we are now back up to the save haven of 9th place. Highlights include a 2-3 comeback victory at relegation rivals Elgin City and winning 1-0 to league leaders Edinburgh City because a defender kicked the ball into his own net- without anyone around him. :lol:

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/08/2019 at 22:49, Jimbokav1971 said:

If St Johnstone offered him a contract equal to or more than his existing contract, don't Man Utd still have to pay compensation when signing him if he is under 23?

Is that a UK wide rule or does it only apply to England?

10 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I thought it was a UK rule. I might be wrong though.

It's just England, Jimbo. Players can cross the border for free. Just a couple of years ago Accrington were up in arms at Rangers signing some of their best talent for nowt when they'd been banking on fees from other English clubs. 

On 06/08/2019 at 12:08, Pechorin said:

How do you make the screenshots bigger when you put them in your thread?

If u use gyazo and u create a screenshot. It opens the image (and URL link) in your browser. Don' t use that link. Do a copy paste of the screenshot (so directly after taking it) and paste it in the topic.

Then it is bigger and most of the time u don't have to click on it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question. It might be a dumb question :D

In real life you get better by playing better opponents - playing against lower-tier teams will not give you as much as playing against better opponents (at least in long perspective). Does it work in FM aswell or it just ignores this fact? 

For example if you're playing in B-tier league (Russian, Dutch, w.e) and you have a great youngster coming through will he develop at the same speed as if he was playing in A-tier league (Bundesliga, Serie A)?

4 minutes ago, scarp said:

I have a question. It might be a dumb question :D

In real life you get better by playing better opponents - playing against lower-tier teams will not give you as much as playing against better opponents (at least in long perspective). Does it work in FM aswell or it just ignores this fact? 

For example if you're playing in B-tier league (Russian, Dutch, w.e) and you have a great youngster coming through will he develop at the same speed as if he was playing in A-tier league (Bundesliga, Serie A)?

I would say a player will develop based on your facilities/coaching combined with game time. 

The game gives the players a number out of 200 for CA and PA, its then a combination of facilities/coaching/game time which will that player improve and reach his PA number. Unfortunately the game doesn't give a hint as to what is most important, whether it be having state of art facilities or top quality coaches versus playing time. Someone may have a differing opinion here/the correct answer. 

For example in my save at the minute most of the 2nd tier clubs come for my youth players but why would I send them to those clubs when my 2nd team are playing against those clubs and I have better facilities/coaches for them to develop at/with?

11 hours ago, john1 said:

Have anyone seen ex players taking over England, well on my save this guy just taken over England job :lol:  Despite having no management experience.

1fe75470cc2b627f57daddf3530de90d.png 

Charlie Austin is England manager in 2029. He retired in 2022, had no job and joined England in 2028. :D

6 minutes ago, ToMexico!! said:

I would say a player will develop based on your facilities/coaching combined with game time. 

The game gives the players a number out of 200 for CA and PA, its then a combination of facilities/coaching/game time which will that player improve and reach his PA number. Unfortunately the game doesn't give a hint as to what is most important, whether it be having state of art facilities or top quality coaches versus playing time. Someone may have a differing opinion here/the correct answer. 

For example in my save at the minute most of the 2nd tier clubs come for my youth players but why would I send them to those clubs when my 2nd team are playing against those clubs and I have better facilities/coaches for them to develop at/with?

Yeah, I know about all those principles but I am just wondering if it takes into occasion the level of opponents they're playing against. If it makes a difference whether they play against hard opponents all season long or they just get a stompy games all the time if you know what I mean. I started to wonder about it when I was playing as CSKA and stomping everyone in our league.

1 minute ago, scarp said:

Yeah, I know about all those principles but I am just wondering if it takes into occasion the level of opponents they're playing against. If it makes a difference whether they play against hard opponents all season long or they just get a stompy games all the time if you know what I mean. I started to wonder about it when I was playing as CSKA and stomping everyone in our league.

I'm not sure that its taken into consideration but if it is then I guess it depends if they're playing in a team that's winning games more often than not. 

3 hours ago, scarp said:

Yeah, I know about all those principles but I am just wondering if it takes into occasion the level of opponents they're playing against. If it makes a difference whether they play against hard opponents all season long or they just get a stompy games all the time if you know what I mean. I started to wonder about it when I was playing as CSKA and stomping everyone in our league.o

I think it is taken into consideration. 

When you receive positive feedback on a player's development, it often mentions something along the lines of, "has benefited from exposure to First Team football/playing football at a higher level. When I have managed in France my Reserves were playing in a competitive league in the French structure and it's possibly here where I 1st noticed it. I would absolutely say that the higher the standard of football then the more scope for player development. 

I think it is the level of the league rather than the level of the opponent that is the key element though. 

I will keep an eye out for appropriate messages and report back.

@scarp @ToMexico!!

So this is an email I have had from the HoYD and it specifically mentions "exposure to first-team football" being a factor in his development.

e25cbe694f325c5a776a4b8cbc6c09fa.png

That's not what I was looking for so I have gone searching and found this. 

806624e7952b157ac7fbebf6063f7191.png

I clicked on the player, went to Development - Training and that's where the above picture comes from.

So if we were talking about Premier League games for example, then you wouldn't class playing against Man City in the Premier league any differently to playing against Sheff Utd in the Premier league, because "the Premier League" is the level that you are playing at. 

If you were managing in England and the player had spent last season on loan in the Championship then that might have been classed as a step up in level from Youth/Reserves, so it's not all about being the best league. It's about a step up from where the player was playing previously. 

1 minute ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

@scarp @ToMexico!!

So this is an email I have had from the HoYD and it specifically mentions "exposure to first-team football" being a factor in his development.

e25cbe694f325c5a776a4b8cbc6c09fa.png

That's not what I was looking for so I have gone searching and found this. 

806624e7952b157ac7fbebf6063f7191.png

I clicked on the player, went to Development - Training and that's where the above picture comes from.

So if we were talking about Premier League games for example, then you wouldn't class playing against Man City in the Premier league any differently to playing against Sheff Utd in the Premier league, because "the Premier League" is the level that you are playing at. 

If you were managing in England and the player had spent last season on loan in the Championship then that might have been classed as a step up in level from Youth/Reserves, so it's not all about being the best league. It's about a step up from where the player was playing previously. 

Thanks for taking your time to research this @Jimbokav1971.

So if I understand this right - if I am managing for example in Russia, the best possible thing I can do is loan the player out to the better league? It's probably not gonna happen but yeah. So it takes it into consideration I guess.

1 minute ago, scarp said:

Thanks for taking your time to research this @Jimbokav1971.

So if I understand this right - if I am managing for example in Russia, the best possible thing I can do is loan the player out to the better league? It's probably not gonna happen but yeah. So it takes it into consideration I guess.

Well you have to balance things a little.

If I was doing a Youth Only save and managing in Russia, (I have never managed in Russia but I have Managed in Iceland so i will use that as my experience), then if I have a player who I think has high potential, do I loan him out to somewhere else where he might develop more quickly, or do I just keep him at home and play him in the 1st Team here, (in Russia/Iceland), from an early age? 

I keep him and I play him. 

What I do is play players before they are ready, (so often based on PA rather than CA), and this accelerates their growth. Would the player be better off playing at a club with better coached and better facilities and in a competition that is of a higher standard? Yes of course he would, but if you loan him out abroad, he's also going to get a taste for it, (if it goes well), but equally, while he is out on loan he is not benefiting your club and you also have no control over his development. You can't decide that you are going to play him in each and every league game. You can't tell him what individual training to do and you also don't know hoe the negative influences of a different squad are going to impact his hidden attributes. 

When I was managing in Iceland I NEVER EVEN ONCE loaned a player out to a club to benefit the play playing at a higher level. Never. 

In Brazil now however, I have loaned players out to Portugese sides and this has been a by-product of that deal. The deal was always instigated by me not wanting the player to play for my club side though, (for whatever reason). I also have a GK out on loan in the Budesliga and again this is a by-product of that. The catalyst was however was that I wasn't going to be playing the player so he needed to go out on loan, (not that he needed to go out on loan and play at a higher level than the best league in this Country). 

I hope that makes sense.  

4 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Well you have to balance things a little.

If I was doing a Youth Only save and managing in Russia, (I have never managed in Russia but I have Managed in Iceland so i will use that as my experience), then if I have a player who I think has high potential, do I loan him out to somewhere else where he might develop more quickly, or do I just keep him at home and play him in the 1st Team here, (in Russia/Iceland), from an early age? 

Yeah, it makes sense. I agree and understand. I might try to experiment with this a little bit if I ever get to play youth challenge (after I finish all million+ cities in Europe).

I kind of brought youth development into this debate but I meant it in different way aswell. Imagine I have my team in Russia and I export it to play in Premier League - would the quality of my players develop faster / the same way / slower? It would probably be visible the most on youngsters but yeah, you get my point I hope.

Swapped jobs for the first time on my 'long term' save, which is a personal accomplishment as i'd never dared to do so before and I got demotivated to continue a little before that. Now it's time to try to get Drogheda United back into the Premier Division of Ireland, see how awfully that goes.

1 hour ago, deltablue said:

We need to start thinking about the FMCU awards. In recent months I've been thinking about letting someone else do it from now on, so I was wondering who would be interested.

Can you give a quick overview of the requirements?

Having sat on the sidelines of it over the past two years, I know the awards ceremony takes on a life of it's own, but if you could give a guide of timescales, amount of time required to do it all etc

4 hours ago, scousevasey said:

Can you give a quick overview of the requirements?

Having sat on the sidelines of it over the past two years, I know the awards ceremony takes on a life of it's own, but if you could give a guide of timescales, amount of time required to do it all etc

The timing has varied, but since I've been doing it I've timed it for early/mid October, not long before the Beta release. I've also left a couple of weeks or so for voting so I usually announce it and open up the voting near the end of September.

Hi guys,

I was wondering how you get images to show up in the 'normal' size like Makoto does in his thread below 

I use Gyazo but when I paste the link in the thread, you get quite small images that you can then click on. I've tried resizing the Gyazo image myself in GIMP and uploading to imgur. I can then put the image URL inside the img tags but it tends to make the image quite low res.

I spoke to Makoto who said he uses Gyazo and then simply copies the image and pastes it into his post and gets a normal looking image you don't have to click on to view. When I try that, it defaults the image to 500 px width and won't let me make it any bigger. If I post wide images such as fixtures/results, it looks tiny - is there any simple way around this?

I'm probably doing something wrong so any help would be appreciated!

53 minutes ago, King Costly said:

Hi guys,

I was wondering how you get images to show up in the 'normal' size like Makoto does in his thread below 

I use Gyazo but when I paste the link in the thread, you get quite small images that you can then click on. I've tried resizing the Gyazo image myself in GIMP and uploading to imgur. I can then put the image URL inside the img tags but it tends to make the image quite low res.

I spoke to Makoto who said he uses Gyazo and then simply copies the image and pastes it into his post and gets a normal looking image you don't have to click on to view. When I try that, it defaults the image to 500 px width and won't let me make it any bigger. If I post wide images such as fixtures/results, it looks tiny - is there any simple way around this?

I'm probably doing something wrong so any help would be appreciated!

When copying do you go to the share link at the top?

6cbc6c74e214da91e2457bd8d1c97e30.png

I did this first of all and found I had small images, whereas if I right clicked on the image then clicked 'Copy image' they come up larger

10 minutes ago, scousevasey said:

When copying do you go to the share link at the top?

6cbc6c74e214da91e2457bd8d1c97e30.png

I did this first of all and found I had small images, whereas if I right clicked on the image then clicked 'Copy image' they come up larger

Thanks for the reply. I didn't even notice that share link at the top! I just right click and then choose copy image. I will do that now and post the image below - it will resize it to make it smaller for some reason:

image.thumb.png.9a92446f352e6700a4a3105bf8338b0e.png

For some reason it defaults all images to 500px wide and restricts me from making them any bigger. Is this perhaps a forum bug?

28 minutes ago, King Costly said:

Thanks for the reply. I didn't even notice that share link at the top! I just right click and then choose copy image. I will do that now and post the image below - it will resize it to make it smaller for some reason:

image.thumb.png.9a92446f352e6700a4a3105bf8338b0e.png

For some reason it defaults all images to 500px wide and restricts me from making them any bigger. Is this perhaps a forum bug?

Your screenshot isn't coming through gyazo.

cae45e85b037d21f95a28a5a4ed3cdfe.png

Compared to one of mine.

c6d50b4089d6d94f8ab3ac4f8b850db0.png

37 minutes ago, Makoto Nakamura said:

Your screenshot isn't coming through gyazo.

cae45e85b037d21f95a28a5a4ed3cdfe.png

Compared to one of mine.

c6d50b4089d6d94f8ab3ac4f8b850db0.png

That's strange. So you take a screenshot on Gyazo, wait for it to load up on your browser, then right click on the image and select 'copy image' (not 'copy image address')?

Then go to reply, right click and paste?

That's exactly what I did and got the above result. 

4 minutes ago, King Costly said:

That's strange. So you take a screenshot on Gyazo, wait for it to load up on your browser, then right click on the image and select 'copy image' (not 'copy image address')?

Then go to reply, right click and paste?

That's exactly what I did and got the above result. 

Yep, that's what I do. How very strange.

9 minutes ago, Makoto Nakamura said:

Yep, that's what I do. How very strange.

When you paste, does the image show up straight away or does it have to 'upload'. When I paste, it shows a loading bar beneath the text box and then shows up.

Perhaps it's uploading to an internal server which is why it's not showing as being from Gyazo.

All very confusing! I'm guessing it must be a forum bug of some sort. 

Had an unwanted epiphany tonight. In my late 30s with two young kids, I realised the only way I'm going to get to move on from FM13 is if I embrace FM Touch. Please, somebody, tell me FM Touch is just as satisfying a career as the full-fat FM...

17 hours ago, withnail316 said:

Had an unwanted epiphany tonight. In my late 30s with two young kids, I realised the only way I'm going to get to move on from FM13 is if I embrace FM Touch. Please, somebody, tell me FM Touch is just as satisfying a career as the full-fat FM...

I given it a full go, but I think it's the way forward if you have time constraints. If ever I do a save that isn't Youth based I'm going to give FMT a go because the Youth Intake numbers is the only thing putting me off, (I think you get 3 or 4 per year rather than 16 but don't quote me on that). In the past I was put off because you also couldn't Tutor in FMT, but Tutoring is far less important than it once was, (at least to me), so the intake is all that remains. You know I might just run a side-save with FMT next season. Now there's an idea....... ScandiNoirTouch :cool:

17 hours ago, withnail316 said:

It depends what type of save you want, Youth Only then no good as you only get a handful each season, also depends how much control you want over the club, I actually really like and haven't played full fat very much since FM15, I still have a save going on FM Classic 15, played well over 100 seasons over various saves, I have recently given full fat another go on FM18 simply because I want a bit more control over the club in a one club save.

Still gonna keep the FMC15 save going but will be moving clubs now.

Anyway to answer your question, yes I find it satisfying, had great one club saves and journeyman saves on FMC & FMT.

23 hours ago, withnail316 said:

I'm 41 with a 4 year old daughter. I tried FMT but just couldn't get into it. I've returned to the full version and have managed to play 2 seasons in about a year. :D

Despite the slow pace, I am really enjoying it.

22 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

I'm 41 with a 4 year old daughter. I tried FMT but just couldn't get into it. I've returned to the full version and have managed to play 2 seasons in about a year. :D

Despite the slow pace, I am really enjoying it.

In a nutshell, that's why I play 13. I can play a season in about two weeks by getting in an hour here or there, but the most enjoyable period of a save doesn't start until I've played four or five seasons. I couldn't cope at that pace, and would probably pack it in.

On 02/09/2019 at 18:09, Maw74 said:

It depends what type of save you want, Youth Only then no good as you only get a handful each season, also depends how much control you want over the club, I actually really like and haven't played full fat very much since FM15, I still have a save going on FM Classic 15, played well over 100 seasons over various saves, I have recently given full fat another go on FM18 simply because I want a bit more control over the club in a one club save.

Still gonna keep the FMC15 save going but will be moving clubs now.

Anyway to answer your question, yes I find it satisfying, had great one club saves and journeyman saves on FMC & FMT

Youth only is *definitelyl* not my thing, so that's not an issue. While I do love to develop my youngsters, and all my favourite FM players have been from my academy, I've no interest at all in those saves.

In terms of control, I'm very much an old-school manager - I want to do everything. I don't even let my DoF make youth signings without me giving the final approval. 

I get the impression I'm better sticking to an old version, tbh. 

On 02/09/2019 at 16:00, Jimbokav1971 said:

I given it a full go, but I think it's the way forward if you have time constraints. If ever I do a save that isn't Youth based I'm going to give FMT a go because the Youth Intake numbers is the only thing putting me off, (I think you get 3 or 4 per year rather than 16 but don't quote me on that). In the past I was put off because you also couldn't Tutor in FMT, but Tutoring is far less important than it once was, (at least to me), so the intake is all that remains. You know I might just run a side-save with FMT next season. Now there's an idea....... ScandiNoirTouch :cool:

A Jimbo save that isn't based on youth would be quite popular on here, I suspect 👍

On 03/09/2019 at 21:05, withnail316 said:

In a nutshell, that's why I play 13. I can play a season in about two weeks by getting in an hour here or there, but the most enjoyable period of a save doesn't start until I've played four or five seasons. I couldn't cope at that pace, and would probably pack it in.

We're all a little different. It's what makes the world interesting rather than boring. Now I have FM18, I couldn't play an old one like FM13.

I may well make a return for a short-lived FM19 save that hopefully gets the juices flowing for FM20.  International based, of course, because **** putting all that time into a club save.  Something a bit different, but likely involves the return of Hamish Glengarrie.

I must be the only #FM player on the planet who had never heard of Erling Haland until yesterday. I think because of the way I play I don't really see too many players like this in the game nowadays, (I'm generally stuck in some little league or Nation until everyone currently playing has long since retired. He's certainly making me stop and take notice. 

I have never managed in Austria and Red Bull Salzburg are an attractive proposition with Haland in their ranks. I am guessing that they are completely dominant from the outset?

I have a few different ideas for FM20 now. Some of them might be limited to just the Beta, and some might be played in conjunction with one another. 

• Youth Only in Brazil - Acre State. How many season/career goals is it possible to score with a GK? The only problem with this is that although I started elsewhere in FM19, I've given it a sort of "half a go" and have had my GK score 20+ goals for 3 consecutive seasons now. I won't be able to set an amazing career record, but is it time to move on now?
  • Journeyman in Scandinavia only. How many different competitions are there in Scandinavia. Can I win them all? Is this suitable for a FMT save I wonder?
  • Youth Only at Barnet in England. This is my club and more likely to be used only in the Beta.
  • Erling Haland is at Red Bull Salzburg and it makes a short-term save an attractive proposition for as long as I can keep him at the club. Again, this one is more likely for use in Beta or until an edited database becomes available.
  • Linked to the previous one, there are 4 clubs in the "Red Bull" family. (USA, Brazil, Austria & Germany). Maybe something linking all 4. Why oh why oh why didn't Red Bull buy Bury FC by the way? :(
  • Linked to the previous one, anything Wolf related in the same way. Wolves in England, Wolfsburg in Germany, Wolfsberger AC in Austria, AS Roma in Italy, and anyone else I can find. 
  • A save linked to player Nationality where I can only have 1 single player at the club, (probably to be restricted to "in the 1st Team"), from any Nationality. This save would have to be played in a Nation that generates lots of foreigners via the Youth Intake or even lots of 2nd Nationalities. 
  • Something Welsh related, so maybe Welsh structure + English structure but only Welsh teams managed. 
  • something related to the USSR
  • Youth only, (or maybe youth based but not youth only), in England with an edited database from the bottom of the pyramid. 
  • Youth only managing a club based in a foreign country. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_football_clubs_playing_in_the_league_of_another_country

Anyone else got any thoughts or suggestions? 

It might be worth looking at some of these. 

https://the18.com/soccer-entertainment/lists/10-weirdest-football-clubs-by-geography-politics

UD Las Palmas in Spain. I'm sure someone has done a save with these on here. @Makoto Nakamuraperhaps?

IFK Marihamm in Finland.

AS Monaco in France. This is a bit boring because of the high profile nature of the club and the money involved.

FC Vaduz in Switzerland. The downer on this is that even if you win the Swiss to tier you can't enter the Champions League. I'm not even sure you can enter the Champions League with you win the Europa League the previous season. 

Swansea, Cardiff, Newport, Wrexham & Merthyr in England.

New York Red Bulls in USA. Boring. 

Cagliari in Italy.

San Marino in Italy. I've personally done this one to death. 

FC SKA - Khabarovsk in Russia. The beast from the East? 

CS Maritimo in Portugal. @noikeeeis currently doing a brilliant lower league version of this. 

AC Ajaccio in France. I have thought about this one in the past but forgotten about it.

[Edit]

Rayo Vallecano https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/06/the-joy-of-six-hipsters-favourite-football-clubs

Edited by Jimbokav1971

1 hour ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Anyone else got any thoughts or suggestions? 

25 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

What about adding additional nations into the game, most of your suggestions are based in leagues/nations out of the box. 

Its obviously finding the right database though, one in depth enough for your needs. 

My best saves this season have been in Ghana and Azerbaijan (and England with Peterborough to an extent). For me in FM20 I really want a long term Central American save (struggled to get into one this year when trying Panama/Honduras/Costa Rica) or maybe return to Africa and have a journeyman style save.