Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

Well, I remember the games where all you saw was an overhead of a pitch which would flash whenever a goal was scored. not even any dots running around :D

Wasn't there a cheat with the phone? You could call a special number and get access to a fruit machine for extra transfer money or something like that? Classic :cool:

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum, the first FM I tried was 2005, I never really got into the game, it was too slow on my computer and I was into other football games on other formats so it never bothered me.

Now the other manager game I played is no longer being made and I also have a new (better) PC, so I decided to give FM 2010 a try, It runs smoothly and I'm loving the game.

I used the editor to set up my own club and put them in the Blue Square South, I selected players randomly and made the club relatively wealthy, nothing stupid like £200m to spend on players, just wanted the club to be strong/stable at the start because I want to stay with them for as long as possible.

Ok the reason for all my waffle is because I'm thinking about doing an update of my game in here, I enjoy updating on the Football games I play and have done several on other forums.

I think this is the best section for me because I'm not someone that writes massive amounts that would be good for a story section, I tend to give brief details and facts about my game.

I am currently in my 3rd season so will it be ok to update with this game, I will do a review of season 1 & 2 then do monthly updates from season 3.

Ah nuts! Finally find a fine-looking MC/AMC that would improve the team and he's quite young. An older report said we could get him for close to 40 million. Now I can actually afford both the fee and wage. He is worth 17.75m. They slammed me down on 40, so I tried to up it incrementally with 5m. Only when it got to 75m did they come back to me. They upped it to 137m though. WTF? Guess they don't want to sell at all then :(

I wonder what has happened to "every player has a price" though. That's not a price, they're showing me the middle finger :(

I used the editor to set up my own club and put them in the Blue Square South, I selected players randomly and made the club relatively wealthy, nothing stupid like £200m to spend on players, just wanted the club to be strong/stable at the start because I want to stay with them for as long as possible.

Ok the reason for all my waffle is because I'm thinking about doing an update of my game in here, I enjoy updating on the Football games I play and have done several on other forums.

I think this is the best section for me because I'm not someone that writes massive amounts that would be good for a story section, I tend to give brief details and facts about my game.

I am currently in my 3rd season so will it be ok to update with this game, I will do a review of season 1 & 2 then do monthly updates from season 3.

It won't be my cup of tea as you have created your own club, but there are plenty in this forum who will find it an enjoyable read.

This was my captain and as a result of this his morale dropped to Very Poor. Oh well. Managed to grind out a 3-2 win now so I hope we can get on better terms soon. Most of the time we dominate matches, but just fail to score.

Don't think a clearout is the answer. The team is pretty young and skilled so I think it can achieve good things in the future. Bought a fair few good talents last summer, including a surely massively overpriced lad for 6.5m. But when my scouts say "leading star in the future" my common sense flies out the window :D

We won the league last season so we better grab at least a EURO spot. Or else my position could get under threat. Especially with a board takeover process in motion.

It's nice to see it's not always an escalator to success. As frustrating as it is no not solve whatever is wrong, this is what makes FM interesting. Parts of last season was a bit "click continue - win, ad inf" so this is a change of pace for sure.

It's nice to see it's not always an escalator to success. As frustrating as it is no not solve whatever is wrong, this is what makes FM interesting. Parts of last season was a bit "click continue - win, ad inf" so this is a change of pace for sure.

Definitely. I've had quite a bit of success but a long run of titles seems almost impossible, someone always seems to rise to the challenge and beat me to it.

go for it :)
Get it done I would read it for sure.

Ok thanks, My thread is up and running now.:)

It won't be my cup of tea as you have created your own club, but there are plenty in this forum who will find it an enjoyable read.

Ok thanks that's fair enough.

Would anyone read an update where after using the editor I create a nation where all the clubs (probably two divisions) where every club was exclusively only allowed to use homegrown players? I think this would be a very intriguing read myself. I would start from the very bottom and try and work my way up the league relying exclusively upon my own youth players. Eventually trying to take the nation I have created to world cup glory.

Might not be everyones cup of tea, but hey, I'm not aiming to please, I'm aiming to have fun. If anyone would be interested that would be swell.

I'm starting to feel like just being part of a rollercoaster right now, not understanding the mechanics of the thing. We can run over Arsenal one day, and get torn to bits by a relegation struggler the next match. I would probably be a very, very bad manager in real life (too).

Since the last frustration we went on a 9-game winning streak. Now we're back to our old pattern of cruddiness again. I'm getting a distinct feeling of aquaplaning to be honest. No matter what I do it seems to have little impact on the course of a match.

There is an upside though. I've saved a lot of money on wages...

Okay I have a little dilemma...I had that Crazy Canuck thread ('life outside the lower leagues') a while back if some of you remember and I left off at Real Madrid. So my Tianjin career hasn't been going to plan as well as I thought, and my other career was a false alarm (forgot the bloody Chinese league reset date for FM10 hadn't past yet because I kept remembering the FM09 reset date for the Chinese leagues :o).

So I'm just wondering which save should I continue?

Saying you finished 4th in the first season and you're currently 2nd this season with Tianjin, I would say that's pretty good going ;):D. But if you're not 'feeling' the save then i'd say try carrying on another one of your saves. I know people would say you've got to carry it on but i'm of the opinion of if you're not enjoying it then there's not much point in playing it. After all it is a game which you choose to play in your leisure time :D.

My opinion anyway. Your 'life outside the lower leagues' was going well.

Saying you finished 4th in the first season and you're currently 2nd this season with Tianjin, I would say that's pretty good going ;):D. But if you're not 'feeling' the save then i'd say try carrying on another one of your saves. I know people would say you've got to carry it on but i'm of the opinion of if you're not enjoying it then there's not much point in playing it. After all it is a game which you choose to play in your leisure time :D.

My opinion anyway. Your 'life outside the lower leagues' was going well.

I'm not in 2nd anymore. :p

Just having trouble getting into managing Tianjin (though it's completely different than my situation at Beijing). I won't play FM till Friday (well update 1 of my 2 threads, might sneak in a game or two if I have time...not one but two tests Thursday!) so I'll wait another day to see what you guys have to say.

On my current 'Cookie's World Tour' save, I have managed to get myself my first international role, and was wondering how other people pick their squad. I assume the correct way would be to watch loads of matches in that country's league matches, and actually scout the players, but do many people do that?

If you have a good assman, you can always trust his judgement with a suggested squad the first couple of times round. Otherwise, watching all those games takes a lot of time.

Recruit plenty of coaches too and you should be able to send them to watch any active competition featuring your players. They give you useful info like coach x considers player y to be the 3rd best defender in the squad ;)

And make sure your U21, U20 and U19 managers have good Judge Pkayer Potential stats so they can pick out the odd gem for you.

Hi guys

its been a while since i was in this part of the forum after realising im no good that the club hopping career thread i was planning and failed at last time. however, as Im currently in exams, i've been playing an international game and i was wondering whether a purely International career is allowed to be documented here?

Hi guys

its been a while since i was in this part of the forum after realising im no good that the club hopping career thread i was planning and failed at last time. however, as Im currently in exams, i've been playing an international game and i was wondering whether a purely International career is allowed to be documented here?

I'm only new here, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be allowed.

Hi guys

Of course :thup:

Hi,

Having been reading some of the career threads in here I've got to give it a go... as with the likes of Acidburn's career thread I like the idea of trying to win the different continental competitions and also the idea of starting in New Zealand (though obviously things won't necessarily work out the same way for me).

Basically just wondering a few things, the pc I'll be using has a Core i7 920 cpu and 6gb of ddr3 ram running on Windows 7 64bit, any ideas how many leagues I should be able to run over a career game? I have normally run quite a few in all previous versions and in this case more would be better as I plan to use downloaded extra files to put more leagues in Africa and of course to add NZ so hoping to have plenty of options for all continents.

Also on loading players into a custom database, should I bother with any of that stuff or just choose countries I'd like to manage in and go? Does the number of players have a big impact on performance?

Finally, starting reputation. I read sometime ago about automatic setting you at the level of the place your starting in rather than at the more realistic lowest possible rep, and if I start unemployed with automatic on a test game I ran I can get several jobs in NZ including top division sides.

However, if I pick sunday league and unemployed it just seems utterly impossible to get a job in NZ even in the amateur lower divisions. If I picked automatic I wouldn't be looking to choose one of the title challenging sides like Auckland immediately, rather a smaller side like Canterbury Utd or a side in a lower division... basically is one starting reputation preferred over the other here or should I just pick automatic and get on with it?

Sorry for all these questions, just want to get everything right before I put a lot of time into a new save.

regards running the leagues you having a laugh lol. you can run them all if ya want!

my pc is same spec (next CPU up) and i run 50 divisions in total and its zooms along happily season in 2 days.

The numbers of players has a impact but with that spec machine it will take alot to cripple it, mate with the same spec is running with 220,000 players in total and he says it runs fine.

personally though for a wide game id load say 10 divisions from each of the five continents give you plenty of options.

as for Rep pick what ever you want it doesnt really make much difference in here at all,

regards running the leagues you having a laugh lol. you can run them all if ya want!

my pc is same spec (next CPU up) and i run 50 divisions in total and its zooms along happily season in 2 days.

The numbers of players has a impact but with that spec machine it will take alot to cripple it, mate with the same spec is running with 220,000 players in total and he says it runs fine.

personally though for a wide game id load say 10 divisions from each of the five continents give you plenty of options.

as for Rep pick what ever you want it doesnt really make much difference in here at all,

Yea, I mean on my more normal game I probably have about 50 running and it runs fine but thats only in 2016 so far, was just thinking how much it would slow down the further I went but thanks for the reply.

Yea, I mean on my more normal game I probably have about 50 running and it runs fine but thats only in 2016 so far, was just thinking how much it would slow down the further I went but thanks for the reply.

im in the early 2020s and have no slow down at all

How does one go about taking a team from amateur to semi pro? Is it a case of tying down x % of players and staff to semi pro contracts or does the transistion occur by other means. Just wondering as I'm starting a journeyman and want to play in Belgium. only problem is the two jobs on offer at the start are both amateur teams. I'm also look into Switzerland but it's the same case there

Yep, acidmonkey's right, but from memory though, when I played as an amatuer club obviously all of my players were on amatuer contracts which means clubs can cherry pick your best players for no fee at all. That's what happened to me anyway. Can become really annoying!

Good luck if you do go ahead with an amatuer team. It'll be interesting to see how you progress.

Just trying to decide if it would be better to put some sort of record of my career in the opening post or would that ruin the enjoyment of reading through the thread to see how things progress?

Just trying to decide if it would be better to put some sort of record of my career in the opening post or would that ruin the enjoyment of reading through the thread to see how things progress?

You should put it in a spoiler

;).

Hows this old forum been doing since I departed? :)

Seems like an age ago I was prowling these dusty old pages with only 3 or 4 viewrs but now up to 22 I think everyone can be proud of what they accomplished with this.

Hows this old forum been doing since I departed? :)

Seems like an age ago I was prowling these dusty old pages with only 3 or 4 viewrs but now up to 22 I think everyone can be proud of what they accomplished with this.

Things certainly seem a little busier than they did a while ago.

Archived