Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other than international jobs, and despite always loading up the big leagues and a couple of interesting ones like USA and South Korea (or everything), the only time I ever managed outside England on CM/FM (before my current story) was 2006 starting as Real Madrid and 2002 in Germany... only after years of playing a load of saves on it.

14 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

Just curious what leagues you all love to manage on?  You know, you always end up there and enjoy your time there.

A bit boring, but probably England.

I like discovering new leagues (South America has great variety!) but I like the familiarity of the clubs, competitions, history and geography in England.

I keep on managing on different leagues but if I had to pick a top 3 I'd say Uruguay, Belgium and Italy.

Would've been Argentina, had they not ****ed with the league format, the old Apertura/Clausura with fewer teams was brilliant. :(

I think it was Japan, maybe South Korea, that used to have no draws and a penalty shootout instead. So it was something like 4 points for a win, 2 for a penalty win, 1 for a penalty loss and 0 for a regular loss... but that was in This Is Football 2003.

Has anyone heard of a Bug that makes you get offered un-realistic International jobs in FM18? 

I'm managing in Iceland and haven't been offered a club job abroad yet, (although I am doing well), and then in come N.Ireland with an offer to manage the National Team. This could possible be explained away by the fact that my 2nd Nationality in the game is Irish, (not N.irish but I know that if you eligible for 1 you are eligible for both at the moment), and the fact that N.Ireland are having a torrid time in my save in 2024. 

Then though, after playing just 4 friendlies at International level, both Italy and Sweden have come in with job offers to manage the National Teams. I still haven't had an invitation to an interview to a job abroad, but I'm getting these. Seems wrong. 

What do you think?

On 1/12/2018 at 20:18, DazRTaylor said:

Just curious what leagues you all love to manage on?  You know, you always end up there and enjoy your time there.

For me, other than England, I love managing in both Iceland and The Netherlands.  Spent years and years in all three.

I spent a long time as San Marino Manager in a few different saves so although I enjoyed it at the time, I think Italy is well and truly done for me. I did love the extra bench size. 

Serbia is a pretty good starting point for a save if you don't want to start too low down but also don't want to start in the big leagues. I had a great save there with Partizan but I know many others have enjoyed saves with Red Star. 

Then we come to the lower level leagues. I remember absolutely loving N.Ireland saves and more recently I've had great fun in Gibraltar and I'm still having fun in Iceland. 

It's been so long that I've played a proper save in England that I think I will love it when it eventually does happen. 

39 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Has anyone heard of a Bug that makes you get offered un-realistic International jobs in FM18? 

I'm managing in Iceland and haven't been offered a club job abroad yet, (although I am doing well), and then in come N.Ireland with an offer to manage the National Team. This could possible be explained away by the fact that my 2nd Nationality in the game is Irish, (not N.irish but I know that if you eligible for 1 you are eligible for both at the moment), and the fact that N.Ireland are having a torrid time in my save in 2024. 

Then though, after playing just 4 friendlies at International level, both Italy and Sweden have come in with job offers to manage the National Teams. I still haven't had an invitation to an interview to a job abroad, but I'm getting these. Seems wrong. 

What do you think?

Do you have those leagues loaded?  If not, then the game increases the likelihood of you being offered them.

On 1/12/2018 at 20:18, DazRTaylor said:

England, it just holds the most interest for obvious reasons.

Other than England then Germany would be my 2nd favourite, Ireland was also fun with Linfield and Argentina was a bit strange but I liked it as it was different.

Pretty much every league in this save was fun.

14 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Dunno if it's a bug or not, but It happened to me too. I was just promoted from the Romanian second league to the first, managed to barely survive in the first season, and then got my first offer from another place. I was 1.5 stars in reputation and got offered the Germany job! Now, I might believe N. Ireland or Sweden, but Germany for me or Italy for you really seem like a far stretch to be offered those jobs.

England has always been incredibly tedious for me since the early days of playing pretty much exclusively that (blame my English father).  At lower levels it's a slog second only to Brazil in terms of how many games you play, but you at least have playoffs to make things more interesting.  At the highest level, particularly recently, it's a money pit that quickly loses all meaning.  That and it's a straight 20 team league with absolutely nothing interesting about it whatsoever structurally.  

On the other side, I always gravitated more towards more interesting structures.  The MLS was good when I could devote time to it, because it continues to be the gold standard in absolute lunacy.  With less time though, the extra rules and shuffling of the pack just gets annoying.  Gibraltar was good because you play relatively fewer games.  

I decided to fire up FM 17, because I didn't buy 18 this year and started a new save with transfer updates with Cologne (Koln), I only got, Meireles and Trochowski on free and loaned Shani Tarashaj (Everton) until January when I bought Lautaro Martinez (6.5m), Ajer (5m), Ezequiel Barco (9.25m) and loaned Vlasic (Everton).

I still have a game vs Bayern in the German Cup Final.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

50 minutes ago, RvN#17 said:

I decided to fire up FM 17, because I didn't buy 18 this year and started a new save with transfer updates with Cologne (Koln), I only got, Meireles and Trochowski on free and loaned Shani Tarashaj (Everton) until January when I bought Lautaro Martinez (6.5m), Ajer (5m), Ezequiel Barco (9.25m) and loaned Vlasic (Everton).

I still have a game vs Bayern in the German Cup Final.

Well that's pretty impressive, particularly because the German league is tough as nails on FM17.

or that's just what I tell myself to sleep well at night after so many meh years with HSV

I wouldn't say I had the easiest start to the season but somehow I managed to get lucky and score pretty late vs Bayern and Mainz and then after the 2 games vs Hertha and RBL the team just gelled and continued to steamroll until the games vs Dortmund and then Mainz (where they scored 4 goals in like 15 minutes). Also I lost the finals of German Cup even tho I was up 3:1 at half time against Bayern. Even with all that succes I still "only" got 20m for transfers but only bought Malang Sarr from Nice for 11m.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Cordoba was a beast and ended up with 49 goals overall, 34 for 34 in league, 5 in Cup and 10 in EL. I also had bids of 45m for Sorensen from PSG but he rejected them (I could've used that money) and 30m for Olkowski but he rejected that offer too. :(

9 hours ago, noikeee said:

or that's just what I tell myself to sleep well at night after so many meh years with HSV

In my last FM 2007 game, Rafael van der Vaart took charge of them on 3 separate occasions and won back-to-back Champions Leagues. They named their new stadium after him.

Be van der Vaart. YEW CAN DO EET.

How are you guys getting on tactically in FM18?

Below, is the tactic I have used for the last five years or so, in the various FM's:

bBqIshs.png

No matter how hard I tried, I could not get any form of 4-5-1 to work.  I tried everything and it just didn't happen.  I was sacked from a few jobs and some saves ended very prematurely (with Haverfordwest being the shortest - ten games).  After much experimentation, I now use this tactic and the results are extraordinary:

kZV3NtH.png

I haven't used 4-4-2 in around ten years or so.  I have used this tactic, with a few variations depending on the players available to me, in quite a few saves, both lower league and professional.

How have the rest of you got on?

9 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

I haven't used 4-4-2 in around ten years or so.  I have used this tactic, with a few variations depending on the players available to me, in quite a few saves, both lower league and professional.

How have the rest of you got on?

It's funny, I ended up gravitating towards a 4-4-2 like that naturally much like you, and found it was great too, but now recently I've added an alternative 4-3-3 that looks almost identical in terms of roles as the one you showed! And it works great!

I reckon the instructions make a giant difference, I think you might be playing it too conservatively, FM17's sweet spot was often in more cautious mentalities but I'm finding that attacking/control plays much better now in 18. Also another huge trick is to get those wingers to play as narrow as possible (such as the play much narrower TI), that wide-ish band just outside the area is the most dangerous of them all in the current ME, I feel. That's also why the 4-4-2 works great (and the narrow 4-3-3 for some people), the wider strikers roam to that band and cause all sorts of havoc.

7 hours ago, Peter G said:

Got promoted with Boston United. Won my first game but lost every game after. Getting killed in defence. Going to be a long season, not sure how to shore it up.

I go for an ultra-defensive 6-3-1 **** You formation with 2 sweepers.

I've alternated between some sort of 4231 and 4141 over the last few years. The strength has always been to not concede rather than to score freely and I have been keen to change that this issue. 

I am now using a 3-4-3/5-2-3 that seems to score freely, but also concede pretty regularly too. 

I need to pay more attention to roles and the like, but it's hard when you are playing a Youth-based save and have to make do with what you have rather than going out and buying what you need.

16 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Is there a minimum age limit for playing in Champions League?

Also...

Has anyone else had a 13 year old in the Youth Intake? (pretty sure I have seen a 14 yo before somewhere). 

Had a 13 year old a few years ago in a previous FM but not for a while.

You get 14 year olds every year in some countries, such as Germany.

I love exploring extra leagues not shipped with the game and have downloaded the file by @lionel messiwhich goes down to England level 10.

I had absolutely no idea that Histon have had such a fall - I knew they were in trouble but they are in the County Leagues, the ninth tier.  It is less than ten years ago when they finished third in the Conference and were in the playoffs for a place in the Football League.

As an aside, I have also seen Yeovil play there, when we knocked them out of the cup, circa fifteen years ago.

They would definitely be a fun save.

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Been messing about in Germany, and just had an intake, @Jimbokav1971 you'll love/hate this....

6b4a90239e36b101993e8aeb225604f5.png

All the good ones are 14! 14!!!!

Of course, in Germany they can't play until they're 17, so they're a long, long way away from debuts.

Holy amazeballs. Fancy sending some of those boys to the North of Scotland?

2 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Been messing about in Germany, and just had an intake, @Jimbokav1971 you'll love/hate this....

6b4a90239e36b101993e8aeb225604f5.png

All the good ones are 14! 14!!!!

Of course, in Germany they can't play until they're 17, so they're a long, long way away from debuts.

Ahh... That old FM saw. "The only thing better than a 15 year-old Spaniard is a 14 year-old German."

And... now I'm on a list.

Archived