Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
calcal

Real Life Career Updates?

Recommended Posts

I'm seriously worried that I won't be able to sustain a thread this season. Been sacked 7 times this beta. Not completed one season yet. Mostly all about dynamics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

I'm seriously worried that I won't be able to sustain a thread this season. Been sacked 7 times this beta. Not completed one season yet. Mostly all about dynamics

Ouch. What is your starting rep, out of interest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From my experience you have to survive the first half a year or so, it gets better from then on. Not sure how it works when moving to a bigger club for example, I'm not quite at that stage of my career yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

I'm seriously worried that I won't be able to sustain a thread this season. Been sacked 7 times this beta. Not completed one season yet. Mostly all about dynamics

I've been unemployed for a fair bit so far and although I have only been sacked once, (about to make it 2), I have been looking at why AI Managers are being sacked and it seems very much related to dynamics. 

Part of the problem in my case is that I started with no badges. I think it would have been more realistic to start with something, or possibly be able to do my badges while unemployed. 

[Edit]

I also started with Sunday League experience. 

Edited by Jimbokav1971

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

I'm seriously worried that I won't be able to sustain a thread this season. Been sacked 7 times this beta. Not completed one season yet.

Welcome to football. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, withnail316 said:

Ouch. What is your starting rep, out of interest?

Eredivisie level. I like to be better than I need to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, GermanTerrier89 said:

What programs do you use for screenshots? I'd love to set up a career updates thread as well.

Alt-F9 to take screenshot.  I then use Adobe Photoshop to trim the screenshot.  Then Imgur to upload to the web.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GermanTerrier89 said:

What programs do you use for screenshots? I'd love to set up a career updates thread as well.

I use the Print Screen key, crop it in paint and upload it straight to the thread (like an e-mail attachment).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gyazo here, best thing since sliced bread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lightshot -> drag-and-drop to Imgur here

I prefer Lightshot to Gyazo because Gyazo immediately uploads it individually, whilst I'd rather upload a bunch of screens at once and deal with them all at once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@dafuge are you doing a career thread this year?  I always think the format yours are in are the easiest to follow, trying to look at other threads but not hooked on any yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GermanTerrier89 said:

What programs do you use for screenshots? I'd love to set up a career updates thread as well.

Gyazo is the easiest free site that I have found. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aye, I've swapped up to Gyazo as well. TBF the way the forum works you can just take your screenshots and upload them directly without using a hosting site.

Edited by Wavelberry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wavelberry said:

Aye, I've swapped up to Gyazo as well. TBF the way the forum works you can just take your screenshots and upload them directly without using a hosting site.

Exactly. That's what makes it so great, (and I haven't even worked out how to create a gif yet!

I stopped using photobucket when they started charging and for what we need in here for FM, Gyazo is way superior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Exactly. That's what makes it so great, (and I haven't even worked out how to create a gif yet!

I stopped using photobucket when they started charging and for what we need in here for FM, Gyazo is way superior.

Ctrl+Shift+G will open Gyazo for gif-fing, sadly there's no one button press like for pics.

After that's it's the same, click and drag, but with buttons to pause, stop and finish recording.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Anti Spiral said:

@dafuge are you doing a career thread this year?  I always think the format yours are in are the easiest to follow, trying to look at other threads but not hooked on any yet.

I will do, but I’m waiting for the full release before starting. I’m hoping to get going on Friday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not long to go now... Depending on the kindness of strangers I'm hoping to get going Sundayish...

Edited by Wavelberry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's here, muddy funsters!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nottingham Forest said:

Struggling an awful lot tactically on this years save. The fact that dynamics part is tough as well.

I gained 1 point from a possible 21 as manager of Barnet in English League 2. 

I was sacked before I got relegated managing a B Team in Spain. 

I lost the dressing room and was sacked again in Spain. 

I turned the dressing room around managing in Sweden, (and then got promoted). 

I finished 3rd in my 1st season in Iceland. 

I'm hoping for 1st or 2nd in my 2nd season in Iceland. 

I think it's realistic in my experience. I set myself as a Manager with Sunday league xp and no coaching badges and League 2 in England is just too high a starting point for me. It's the same for whatever League I was managing in in Spain. I could either have Sunday League xp or no badges, but what I couldn't do is have both and expect to manage at that level with the backing of the players. Squad dynamics are important now, (as they have always been). They have just been highlighted and refined to make it clearer, (and more important). Once you have the dynamics sorted, I would hazard a guess that it might swing the other way in so much that players will run through brick walls for you and it might get comparaitively easier, (however I am a long way from that). 

I think what happens is that lots of players, (not aiming at you @Nottingham Forestby the way), have a clear idea in their mind of the past xp they want to use and then the badges, but then don't think to themselves "what sort of job does this make me suitable for?" People want to do what they have always done, they want to largely just press continue and they want to win. 

FM isn't like that anymore, (at least not for the masses). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with you. I like starting with Sunday League rep and no badges. I’ve tried Forest 3/4 times and admittedly it’s never going to work. I’ve tried a journeyman for a while but wasn’t feeling it. I was managing in Gibraltar with Hound Dogs/Gibraltar again. Unfortunately I think I was trying to be too expansive with my formation. Plus the players were shocking so I got sacked as Hound Dogs boss. I love this version and it’s the best one yet. It’s just frustrating as I wasn’t the best manager before haha. 

I can’t wait for DanBHTFC’s update to come out as there are two local sides in level 10 now. The one I want to be’s Ground is 10 minute walk from my house. So if that works I’m starting there. They’re also a club with history of producing players for the professional game. 

I’ve had that idea from the very beginning. Just hoping the database works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the days of starting with no rep and no badges and managing a reasonable sized club are gone unless you are VERY good at the game. I'm pretty sure I'm not that good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the game is going to get more realistic then great.

If the days of managing a side higher up with no badges and rep is slowly going, it’d be nice if there was a scope for more out of the box leagues in England. There’s definitely a demand for it. It’s just whether/how much impact it would have on the game.

I thought I just had a throwaway save with Billericay on youth only. But upon joining they have a wage budget of £36k. I’m sorry, but I’ve saved that down and now I’ve loaded a few more leagues and a few old favourites for players of nationality. Holidaying for a year again and hopefully they’ll come up again with similar funds. £36k is on par with the play-offs of League Two and lower sides of League One. Ridiculous money.

Edited by Nottingham Forest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nottingham Forest said:

I thought I just had a throwaway save with Billericay on youth only. But upon joining they have a wage budget of £36k. I’m sorry, but I’ve saved that down and now I’ve loaded a few more leagues and a few old favourites for players of nationality. Holidaying for a year again and hopefully they’ll come up again with similar funds. £36k is on par with the play-offs of League Two and lower sides of League One. Ridiculous money.

You also get a squad featuring Paul Konchesky, Jamie O'Hara and Jermaine Pennant :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nottingham Forest said:

Do you not like them @Wavelberry? Reloaded and we have £33k as Pennant has already retired. £10k left in the budget, £17k if everyone leaves. Let the fun commence haha.

No-one in non-league likes them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I bring in Mousa Dembele after selling a couple of players to help my Crystal Palace team.

We do better than expected, finishing 6th.  Dembele is the Leagues leading goal scorer, and wins a slew of awards.

Shine isn't off the trophy yet, and he comes in and says "I want to go to Bayern."

The Benteke comes in and says he wants to go to PSG, Zaha (my best AM) wants to go to Barcelona, and Shako (my best Dback) wants to go to Newcastle(?).  And Cabaye wants to be sold too.  

Cabaye, Zaha, and Shako are at the top of my DYnamics pyramid.  If I keep them, I lose the locker room.  If I sell them, I lose the locker room.  I turned down the first offer for Dembele (36M, really Bayern?), and no less than half the team came to me asking "WTF?"

Really?  After that season we just had your mad I Didn't sell him?

WTF?

Really.

Jellico73

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jellico73 said:

So, I bring in Mousa Dembele after selling a couple of players to help my Crystal Palace team.

We do better than expected, finishing 6th.  Dembele is the Leagues leading goal scorer, and wins a slew of awards.

Shine isn't off the trophy yet, and he comes in and says "I want to go to Bayern."

The Benteke comes in and says he wants to go to PSG, Zaha (my best AM) wants to go to Barcelona, and Shako (my best Dback) wants to go to Newcastle(?).  And Cabaye wants to be sold too.  

Cabaye, Zaha, and Shako are at the top of my DYnamics pyramid.  If I keep them, I lose the locker room.  If I sell them, I lose the locker room.  I turned down the first offer for Dembele (36M, really Bayern?), and no less than half the team came to me asking "WTF?"

Really?  After that season we just had your mad I Didn't sell him?

WTF?

Really.

Jellico73

Life, man. Remember the Monaco/Southampton exoduses?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

Life, man. Remember the Monaco/Southampton exoduses?

Not really, but thats more being an American who has never really followed football for the last 30 years.

When I lived in England I don't remember stories like these, but that was the 80's.  I did get stuck on a ferry one time with about 800 drunk everton fans (sorry for repeating myself there ;-) ) coming back from france singing all night, but i am reasonably sure thats not a memory you hold dear...

Jellico73

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jellico73 said:

Not really, but thats more being an American who has never really followed football for the last 30 years.

When I lived in England I don't remember stories like these, but that was the 80's.  I did get stuck on a ferry one time with about 800 drunk everton fans (sorry for repeating myself there ;-) ) coming back from france singing all night, but i am reasonably sure thats not a memory you hold dear...

Jellico73

 

Things have changed Jellico. 

Players have huge power. Look at Lukaku. Van Djik didn't play at all while he postured for a transfer. The same happened with Coutinho. Walker got gobby and he went. It's a balancing act. You can either sell for the right money and re-invest, or you can keep going with an unhappy player and risk him infecting the rest of the squad. 

I might not enjoy how the game replicates this, but I think it's more realistic than it was previously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I might not enjoy how the game replicates this, but I think it's more realistic than it was previously.

I don't disagree really.  Maybe going from Celtic to Palace to Real Madrid (which is what Dembele did after Bayern didn't meet his release clause) is the way of things.

Just frustrating.  Which I'm sure is a feature, not a bug.  

:-)

Jellico73

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope everyone stops struggling because I have the 'mediocrity' niche covered in my story/update thread, everyone else should go back to winning everything with 20-year-old Luxembourgers!

Players definitely don't have power any more in the Premier League and actually have to see out the contracts they sign, that's the funny moral positive that's come with the ******** of money. Presumably a big job intergrating that for just one league (and having it evolve with time with league reputation and money) in the next game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jellico73 said:

So, I bring in Mousa Dembele after selling a couple of players to help my Crystal Palace team.

We do better than expected, finishing 6th.  Dembele is the Leagues leading goal scorer, and wins a slew of awards.

Shine isn't off the trophy yet, and he comes in and says "I want to go to Bayern."

The Benteke comes in and says he wants to go to PSG, Zaha (my best AM) wants to go to Barcelona, and Shako (my best Dback) wants to go to Newcastle(?).  And Cabaye wants to be sold too.  

Cabaye, Zaha, and Shako are at the top of my DYnamics pyramid.  If I keep them, I lose the locker room.  If I sell them, I lose the locker room.  I turned down the first offer for Dembele (36M, really Bayern?), and no less than half the team came to me asking "WTF?"

Really?  After that season we just had your mad I Didn't sell him?

WTF?

Really.

Jellico73

They could also be thinking "If the gaffer blocks Dembele leaving, then he might not let me make a big money move away."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jason the Yank said:

They could also be thinking "If the gaffer blocks Dembele leaving, then he might not let me make a big money move away."

That's possible. 

But I brought him in for 30.5, he left for 62-ish.  I'll have to see if I can find out what his contract is, because if the numbers are about the same, then I am not sure what that says.  To be fair, I would have paid Dembele what I could to keep him (heck the club wouldn't let me pay Zaha more than 115K a week when he wanted 140K, but they didn't put a cap on the 'Appearence Fee', and as a result he makes more for just stepping on the pitch than most of the fans in the stand earn in a year).

I will say I ran into a similar situation in my save last year.  I took USL Dunkerque from the 3rd Division of French soccer to the top of the world.  And I mean winning the Ligue back to back 5 times, winning the Champions League 5 times in 8 years.  I won the Septuple one year, my reputation and the clubs reputation was about as high as it could go, and one of my players came and said "Bayern wants me, and I want to go."  And by this time Bayern was finishing no better than 4th and 5th in the Bundeliga, I had an oil rich owner, offered to pay the player whatever he wanted, but it was "No, it Bayern Munich", as if it were the team it was today, instead of the team it was in my save 20 years from now.  I get the impression certain teams reputation are more set in stone than others, and if, as an example, Bayern, PSG, Barca and Man U found themselves in the 2nd division of their respective leagues, players would still want to go with them based on the name alone.

Then again my best D-Line player wanted to go to bottom of the table Newcastle, and the team went nuts when I said "No, but lets talk a better contract for you..."

It's an adventure, to be sure.

Jellico73

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2017 at 14:42, Wavelberry said:

No-one in non-league likes them.

The MKD of non-league: despised by everybody. Mind you, haven't they just replaced FGR? Appalling club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2017 at 14:42, Wavelberry said:

No-one in non-league likes them.

I do but that's because I had an epic save with them on CM01/02.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Football Manager at Level 9 in England in an interesting thing!

 Might actually do a story this year but have a number of long term saves planned. Sweden, Southend Manor, new nation, Unemployed..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After really struggling to get into a few FM editions now, I think I love this one.  

Defending an 8 match winning run, 1-0 down going into the last 10 minutes.  Managed to get 1 back, but then looked more like conceding than getting the winner.  They break forward and a defensive mistake sends them clean through.  They cut it back, but it's slightly behind the striker and he fluffs his lines.  We break back, a very deep cross to the far post and tap home the winner in the 93rd minute.  

I ****ing love this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in the minority I think as I am really really struggling to get into this years edition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same. Like with FM17 my team isn't playing badly but things are often just not going our way. I'm changing things up a little a bit more often than I usually would to try and get the tactics and other things right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, forameuss said:

After really struggling to get into a few FM editions now, I think I love this one.  

Defending an 8 match winning run, 1-0 down going into the last 10 minutes.  Managed to get 1 back, but then looked more like conceding than getting the winner.  They break forward and a defensive mistake sends them clean through.  They cut it back, but it's slightly behind the striker and he fluffs his lines.  We break back, a very deep cross to the far post and tap home the winner in the 93rd minute.  

I ****ing love this game.

That kinda sounds like you like it because you got a dramatic winner. Had you been on a losing streak, which will happen eventually, you'd be saying you hate it surely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, git2thachoppa said:

That kinda sounds like you like it because you got a dramatic winner. Had you been on a losing streak, which will happen eventually, you'd be saying you hate it surely.

Image result for buzz killington

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

I am in the minority I think as I am really really struggling to get into this years edition.

I'm not so sure, I've seen way more guys struggling with this new version than last. Maybe that's just because there's way more threads going up this time around, but I think SI have given us a proper challenge here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...