Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
crouchy's more detailed 'essays'

We all know that detailed essays are the way forward. :D

On a serious note, my opinion is that it doesn't really matter, as long as the writer succeeds in getting us interested in their career!

Personally, I love the monthly update format and that's what I've ended up doing in my thread. I've tried to use some embedded pictures and used text tables and stuff to make it look interesting and to provide a 'quick glance' for those who aren't too interested in reading my essays. ;)

I don't think it takes too long to write out a monthly report actually. I think you only need the scoreline, what the match was for (league or cup), a couple of lines indicating how it went (and this can be very informal and to the point) and then some details about the scorers. You can cut back on some of this by using screenshots. Really, it doesn't take much longer for me to write my monthly update than it does for me to write a post like this.

I find that I tend to connect better with more regular updates because I get to know the challenges the manager is having, their favourite players and so on and so forth. I tend to use repetitive adjectives in the Homeric style to, hopefully, make my players stick out for the reader (e.g. like deep-lying playmaker Daniel Philiskirk, 'the next Pirlo' Davide Vangi, or legendary journeyman striker Umberto Eusepi :cool:). For me, adding a bit of life to the career is the key. That's why I quite like posting the pictures as well and trying to create an atmosphere in my thread.

Anyway, this is just my opinion. I think it's clear that we all have different views and that all approaches are welcome.

And look, it's another essay from Crouchaldinho. :D

I read your thread. For some reason I never seem to comment. Probably goes I usually view it at work.

Changing the topic, does anyone else find that they can't think of things to comment. I read quite a lot of the threads on here and have them bookmarked but on some of them, I rarely comment.

I don't want to put 'KUTGW' or whatever because I know that is frowned upon and is one of the forum rules. But at the same time, sometimes I can't think of what to say and I haven't got any questions to ask them at the time, however I sort of want to post 'hey, I'm reading this but can't think of what to say right now!' :D

Anyone understand what I mean?

Changing the topic, does anyone else find that they can't think of things to comment. I read quite a lot of the threads on here and have them bookmarked but on some of them, I rarely comment.

I don't want to put 'KUTGW' or whatever because I know that is frowned upon and is one of the forum rules. But at the same time, sometimes I can't think of what to say and I haven't got any questions to ask them at the time, however I sort of want to post 'hey, I'm reading this but can't think of what to say right now!' :D

Ye I am the same but if I find I have been reading something for a while without commenting then I will say " really enjoying this, KUTGW " or something like that.

Yes, maybe it would be acceptable to write that once in a while, as long as you're not doing it all of the time. Perhaps that's what I'll do from now on when I can't think what to say but want to give encouragement etc. :thup:

I know that I really appreciate comments and they give me a boost knowing people are enjoying it.

Yes, maybe it would be acceptable to write that once in a while, as long as you're not doing it all of the time. Perhaps that's what I'll do from now on when I can't think what to say but want to give encouragement etc. :thup:

I know I enjoy having the comments there. It lets me know that people are reading and that there is a point to updating my career.

I know what you mean. I read the majority of threads every so often but like you say sometimes there isn't really anything I want to ask/find out, I just find it interesting to read and see how the different games are going etc. I guess I'm more a silent reader but I can see how receiving comments can add extra enthusiasm for you to continue playing/updating so I do comment occasionally depending on mood.

What I'd like to know is why certain people feel that it is up to them to try and dictate what should be considered a worthy career update? Why is it up to you? I can understand a moderator having these powers, but surely the rest of us are all equals round here?

I think so too. There is no right or wrong way to post a career update. Obviously people have their own preference in how to read/write updates but this should in no way dictate to others how theirs should be presented.

I don't understand why this debate even started I mean the whole idea of this place is for people to post updates as they see fit without too many restrictions. Monthly, weekly, match by match, yearly or every ten years it doesn't matter. That's the whole point of this place isn't it?

That is the point of this place and I totally agree with your points. As you know, this debate started with acidmonkey asking how his new thread should be presented, just to give him an idea of all possible avenues. It's when people start to impose their preference in a dictating manner which is what annoys me. No way is better than an another...just what people prefer.

but what to people prefer reading? Matchly? Monthly? End of Season?

It looks like people like a variety of styles, there isn't a 'best way' of doing it.

I would go with whatever you feel comfortable writing, but I think the speed you play at is also a factor. I tend to play very quickly, completing a couple of seasons a week on average, usually compacted into the weekends/holidays. For me, an annual update is regular enough as I will be doing at least one a week, sometimes more. For those who play slowly and more regularly, a monthly update may be much more appropriate.

I concur with not always having something to say. And also that it's encouraging to see comments in your thread. It's nice to know that somebody else are following it, otherwise it's basically just writing for the sake of writing. Though I have found it fun to read my own earlier updates too, as it takes me back to how it was playing those saves.

Wasn't the KUTGW rule taken out of the forum btw? I seem to remember reading the updated rules and that one was gone.

/goes to re-read the rules.

Wasn't the KUTGW rule taken out of the forum btw? I seem to remember reading the updated rules and that one was gone.

/goes to re-read the rules.

I took it out.

When we set up the forum we were a little concerned that people would use it as place to spam and boost post counts, which just hasn't happened. I'm all for encouraging people posting in other people's threads, it is often nice to know which people are reading.

I prefer monthly, I do monthly

I don't think it takes too long to write up a monthly report

My updates are OK i think

Competition Type: Score (Scorers)

1 or 2 lines describing the game, or more for a big game like play offs or cup finals

e.g

League: Whitley Bay 2-0 Ashington AFC (Cook, Lucketti)

Well, we've finally won a league game, but it was still a shaky performance against very poor opponents, and it's not looking too good for the future. We're 6th in the league, but still have more chance of going down than up if we continue to play like this

Seems to work well enough, and get regular enough updates to keep people interested

I do monthly, I've got a format that I feel comfortable with. I do try to make it presentable as possible, with colours, bold etc. but like others say, it's all about the actual game

I wouldn't mind some "KUTGW" comments, the only comments I've had are people accusing me of cheating! ;)

I prefer monthly, I do monthly

I don't think it takes too long to write up a monthly report

My updates are OK i think

Competition Type: Score (Scorers)

1 or 2 lines describing the game, or more for a big game like play offs or cup finals

e.g

League: Whitley Bay 2-0 Ashington AFC (Cook, Lucketti)

Well, we've finally won a league game, but it was still a shaky performance against very poor opponents, and it's not looking too good for the future. We're 6th in the league, but still have more chance of going down than up if we continue to play like this

Seems to work well enough, and get regular enough updates to keep people interested

yup ive pretty much ripped you off regarding the layout :D i dont name scorers though

This is my first post in the Careers forum. I'm starting up a proper career save for the first time (I've been waiting for 10.3) so I thought I'd chip in with my thoughts on the 'how often to update' debate.

I've been reading a few of the threads in the Stories forum and really like the style that Faramir uses - I may have to pinch it but cut down the entries to maybe three reports per season: The end of Pre-season, sometime in January (end of transfer window/winter-break), End of season report. Hopefully that way it will remain interesting to the viewer and convey the sense of progress, without being too bogged down in uneccessary detail.

I hope my effort won't be too noobish! I just need to get on with playing the game now!

(I've started the save to the point of being given a job and the Gods of Footballing Fate have landed me at FC Blied in the Division 3B of the Belgian Leagues. Wish me luck - first real career save, first career write up.)

I have a question... As I'm new to these journeyman type saves, I would like to know how job offers work or your chances of getting certain jobs. Is it purely on a reputation bases? So as an example if I was managing a club in the Norwegian second tier (rep. 9) would I have a chance of getting a job in the English League Two (rep. 8) for instance? I know many other factors are taken into account of course, just that I wanted to get an idea of the jobs I can realistically apply for in my save.

Cheers.

I think luck may play a role. After leaving Tai Po in Hong Kong, I was laughed off by a couple of teams in India and the 2nd tier in China before landing a job in the Argentine 2nd Division. :confused: A chairman willing to give you a break is always useful!

After a crazy week of work and study, I may actually get time for some FM tonight! Question is: should I download 10.3 while I have my dinner? Or just leave it as is? Have there been major ME changes? I only ask as I wouldn't want to find my tactics suddenly stop working mid-season (not that they were doing that great anyway! :p)

10.3.0 did the opposite for me, started playing really well (as explained in my thread). So well that we won the league.

I think it's worth getting, not had any problems with it myself.

Unless your tactics were based around exploiting the ME, you shouldn't really noticed too much of a difference. I think the ME does look a lot better though.

The only thing I've really noticed is the distribution of goals amongst my team is different, but that could just be down to changes in players.

Given the run of defeats I had in my last playing session, I'd say the ME was exploiting my tactics more than the other way round. :p

I'll download it I think - mainşy because I always like to have the latest patch more than anything else. Plus, at some point I will start a new game with the 10.3 update ;)

I downloaded 10.3 'cause I had to as my save was experienceing crash dumps and I couldn't get past a certain date. 10.3 sorted that out. I have noticed an improvement with the ME and that is pleasing but there are issues I have with it, those being : Contract offers : I offered my existing players some new contracts and a few of them wanted less than what they were already on e.g. my striker, Charlie Sheringham was on £750 p/w, new contract offer he wanted £375 p/w. Not that i'm complaining :D and

Injuries : The reason I stopped playing FM09 was due to the unbelievable amount of injuries I had in 9.3. For me, 10.3 has similar problems and i'm experiencing 4-5 injuries per game. This for me is a game breaker but i'll persist with it for a while as i'm only halfway through a season. If it continues though I'll have no choice but to knock FM10 and probably the FM series on the head :(.

Hopefully you have more luck DodgeeD with 10.3.

10.3 has improved the ME leaps and bounds. At first my defensive setup didn't work as well, but after a bit of tinkering and our keeper making some 4 or 5 top notch performances I managed to sort it out.

What I've enjoyed the best is complacency kicking in big time in our last ten league matches as we neared the end of our domestically unbeaten season. By the end of it they played complacent even against Olympique Marseille :D Get Stuck in! Press More! It's been an exciting and nerve wrecking end of a season here :D

For me season or half season updates are the only ones i read, Pre-season and end of season with maybe a short January update. i follow a few threads, but I'm interested mainly in your signings, where u finished and your goals and if you achieved them, I dont really wanna read through 40 match reports of someones save i dont see the interest there, good season updates for me. Is it possible to use that code you all use for history and achievements? and where is it

I take it the game by game style isn't very popular?

Fraid so, i've had private discussions with a couple of people who have been put off using CU because of certain users attitudes and they told me that they were considering giving up their update. Unfortunately, sicne then, they have, but it's not for me to point the finger of blame. :(

It's especially disappointing considering the fact that said threads were 6th and 7th most viewed active updates, so it was obvious that the negative opinions of thsoe types of threads were in the minority. Just goes to show how bullying and negativity can affect a forum.

Whats "certain" users attitudes got to do with anything hes asking if the game by game stlye is worth doing?

Deisler26 post however you feel comfortable posting, which ever way it enhances the enjoyment of the game. If people are going to read it, it doesnt matter what style its in, personally i read alot of other peoples threads and its varies from the game by game to the end of season posts only. if people find it intresting enough they will read it

Whats "certain" users attitudes got to do with anything hes asking if the game by game stlye is worth doing?

You don't think people's attitudes towards a certain style have anything to do with the opinion of a certain style i.e. whether it is popular or not? :confused: The fact that people who used that style gave up and questioned whether they should continue using it or not is perfectly pertinent to a discussion on whether or not said style is frowned upon and seems to indicate that it is frowned upon.

No i dont, as there are successfull threads featuring both styles. and people should be writing it for their own enjoyment not for the benefit of others to read.

As has been said before if its intresting enough people WILL read it regardless of style

Archived