Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2017 at 23:09, Makoto Nakamura said:

Not sure if this is interesting to anyone, but in the newest update, for the first time in I think ever, you can now manage a Liechtenstein club in the Champions League.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Always wanted to do this

If/when Wenger goes, it should mean an influx of Arsenal saves in here. I think sometimes a lot of us are pre-occupied with the smaller clubs and smaller Nations, (and indeed smaller clubs at smaller Nations), to the extent that we often let big clubs pass us by that might be fun due to the demanding nature of the board.

Leeds were a club that I wanted to try after the penalties for financial irregularities, but I never got around to it. 

When I managed Partizan in Serbia I absolutely loved it 

I doubt I will ever manage Arsenal, (I can't stand them), but it could be an interesting save for others. 

2 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

If/when Wenger goes, it should mean an influx of Arsenal saves in here. I think sometimes a lot of us are pre-occupied with the smaller clubs and smaller Nations, (and indeed smaller clubs at smaller Nations), to the extent that we often let big clubs pass us by that might be fun due to the demanding nature of the board.

I doubt I will ever manage Arsenal, (I can't stand them), but it could be an interesting save for others. 

I hope not ;) and ditto.

The news  about FC Vaduz now makes it tempting to start a career save with them though.

I think it would be good to get back to some of the more popular save types too. 

The San Marino Challenge has died a death since the International sacking after 10 years bug and I'm not sure it even exists now in FM17. People have been so put off by playing for 10 seasons only to get sacked that they have decided not to give it another go. 

The other thing is the static European places available to (GIB) teams. I know that SI have replicated UEFA's ridiculous real policy, but let's hope that that's updated, (by both), before #FM18 comes out. 

I think I am going to manage somewhere I have never managed before in FM18, (possibly France). I will be playing the same way as usual, and will hope that Regensburg-gate doesn't happen again. 

Managing in France has been pretty fun for me.  By sheer luck I chose a team that had a core group of players good enough to get me to Ligue 1, and then finding and developing players to keep me there has been a new challenge as well.

If you start out with a team in the lower divisions working your way up through youth players and signing is interesting, and then once you hit Ligue 1 you think you may have made it.  Then you realize PSG and Monaco are spending €150+ Million a year in transfers, while your budgets hover around a respectable €20M or so.

Makes beating them that much more fun.  :-)

Jellico73

On 20/03/2017 at 14:49, Jimbokav1971 said:

I think it would be good to get back to some of the more popular save types too. 

The San Marino Challenge has died a death since the International sacking after 10 years bug and I'm not sure it even exists now in FM17. People have been so put off by playing for 10 seasons only to get sacked that they have decided not to give it another go. 

The other thing is the static European places available to (GIB) teams. I know that SI have replicated UEFA's ridiculous real policy, but let's hope that that's updated, (by both), before #FM18 comes out. 

I think I am going to manage somewhere I have never managed before in FM18, (possibly France). I will be playing the same way as usual, and will hope that Regensburg-gate doesn't happen again. 

Loads of old school teams fallen on hard times rn. Le Mans, Metz etc

On 3/20/2017 at 14:49, Jimbokav1971 said:

I was tempted to start Gibraltar again, but that static addition just really kills the desire to do it again.  Where before you could drag the league up with you, now you'd probably be spending even longer, and you'd be spending 21 games a season cuffing teams that had absolutely no chance of putting up a fight.  At least it kind of scaled before.

2 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

Loads of old school teams fallen on hard times rn. Le Mans, Metz etc

I've sort of decided on something very much South-Coast based to hopefully generate 2nd Nationality Africans coming through the Youth system. I haven't decided on a team yet and my knowledge of both French Geography and French football is very limited. Not Marseille, but a mini-Marseille is something that would appeal. 

The problem is that the South is very much Rugby Country. 

AC Bastia are on Corsica, (which I assumed was Italian, but isn't). Without looking however, I'm guessing that the facilities and catchment will be really poor which might not be a problem in a small league, but is going to be key in France. 

Beziers is not quite no the South coast, (but near enough), and is based between Perpignan and Montpellier, (which is exactkly the area I'm looking for). 

These are both in the 3rd tier of French Football this season. 

Looking at the league below, (which I think exists but is non-playable)....

There is nothing in Group A.

There is nothing in Group B.

Grenoble Foot 38 are in Group C and while not on the South Coast but are in that South East corner near Switzerland, Italy and the South Coast. 

Villefranche are in Group C and near Lille so might be suitable. 

Frejus are in Group D on the South Coast just to the South West of Cannes. 

Toulon are in Group D and are even more Southerly than Marseille. This is exactly what I am looking for, (and the fact that they are over-shadowed by their Rugby Playing neighbours makes it ideal, Also, there is the Toulon tournament to consider. 

Hyeres are in Group D and are just to the East of Toulon.

Marignane Gignac are in Group D and seem to be on the outskirts of Marseille. 

Colomiers are in Group D and seem to be on the outskirts of Toulouse.

Sete are in Group D and are on the South Coast just South West of Montpellier. 

Martigues are in Group D and are on the South Coast just  North West of Marseille. 

Paulan Pezenas are in Group D and although not on the South Coast, are not far away and are just to the West of Montpellier. 

Le Pontet are in Group D and although not on the South Coast is situated between Montpellier and Marseille. 

22 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I've sort of decided on something very much South-Coast based to hopefully generate 2nd Nationality Africans coming through the Youth system. I haven't decided on a team yet and my knowledge of both French Geography and French football is very limited. Not Marseille, but a mini-Marseille is something that would appeal. 

The problem is that the South is very much Rugby Country. 

AC Bastia are on Corsica, (which I assumed was Italian, but isn't). Without looking however, I'm guessing that the facilities and catchment will be really poor which might not be a problem in a small league, but is going to be key in France. 

Beziers is not quite no the South coast, (but near enough), and is based between Perpignan and Montpellier, (which is exactkly the area I'm looking for). 

These are both in the 3rd tier of French Football this season. 

Looking at the league below, (which I think exists but is non-playable)....

There is nothing in Group A.

There is nothing in Group B.

Grenoble Foot 38 are in Group C and while not on the South Coast but are in that South East corner near Switzerland, Italy and the South Coast. 

Villefranche are in Group C and near Lille so might be suitable. 

Frejus are in Group D on the South Coast just to the South West of Cannes. 

Toulon are in Group D and are even more Southerly than Marseille. This is exactly what I am looking for, (and the fact that they are over-shadowed by their Rugby Playing neighbours makes it ideal, Also, there is the Toulon tournament to consider. 

Hyeres are in Group D and are just to the East of Toulon.

Marignane Gignac are in Group D and seem to be on the outskirts of Marseille. 

Colomiers are in Group D and seem to be on the outskirts of Toulouse.

Sete are in Group D and are on the South Coast just South West of Montpellier. 

Martigues are in Group D and are on the South Coast just  North West of Marseille. 

Paulan Pezenas are in Group D and although not on the South Coast, are not far away and are just to the West of Montpellier. 

Le Pontet are in Group D and although not on the South Coast is situated between Montpellier and Marseille. 

Not a southern side, but the Ligue 2 table suggests Auxerre could be dropping from a Champions League team to a third tier side in just 6 years...

12 minutes ago, withnail316 said:

Not a southern side, but the Ligue 2 table suggests Auxerre could be dropping from a Champions League team to a third tier side in just 6 years...

The problem with a side like Auxerre is that they are just about the worst type of club for a Youth only challenge because the expectations will be sky high and you won't get the time to develop the youngsters. They will want promotion the 1st season.

3 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

The only problem with that is that I am actually an ex egg-chaser myself so....... :lol:

Even better, the false prophet has seen the light, and wants to save his people!

OK, I saw this in my news feed and had to stop to make sure.

Bear in mind in my current save I have a regen named Ben-Hur and another named Mouaddib, so I figure it pays to check these things:

Capturez.thumb.JPG.27fc14e4cb7138f98b65146147f155e8.JPG

Turns out it was Jorge Jesys, but still....

Jellico73

Really enjoying my Journeyman save. I wish I set up a proper save update thread.

Anyway, career so far:

Argentina - Rosario Central - sacked after 1 season

Arentina - Velez Sarsfield - 4th and then title win.  Resigned

Mexico - Moterrey. Two league wins. Resigned

US - LA Galaxy - didn't 'feel' it so quit after half a season. Resigned

France - Nice. Saved club from relegation, got into Europa league. Sold best players as massive debt. Currently mid table and a job offer from

Spain - Valancia. Still deciding whether to accept as Nice were going to be a project to get them to win the league.

No real aims of the save, just see what comes up. Might have a go with Valencia and then see if I can get a top top job in Europe or Boca Juniors

Been a while again since I posted in here but have been reading many career threads almost daily.

Have a very fun game going at the minute with just 4 nations loaded, Slovenia, Serbia, Holland and Germany. With the aim to naturally progress through the tiers, so starting in tier 2 of Slovenia, then moving to a top Serbian side, then any of the top division Dutch sides before finally getting a top job in Germany. Not quite panned out like that, i'm still in Slovenia and have been for 7 seasons, with the same club. And its been rather easy, promoted as Champions first season, finished 2nd in my season in the top flight and then finished as Champions in the 5 seasons since. Strangely i've not had a single offer or even rumour of another club coming in for me. I have a continental pro license and am only 29 in the game still, I have 6 league wins and 6 cup wins (inc Charity Shield) in 7 seasons.

Anyway, the problem I am facing now is the constant turn over of players, clearly the quality of players I have are too good for the league hence the titles but I've not been able to qualify for the CL group stage, missing out in the play-offs last season on away goals thus dropping into the EL Group Stages. I am yet to qualify from a EL group either, finishing 3rd this season. I know I have to keep plugging away to bring the co-efficient up and improve the league in general to attract better players but once that happens I can't offer the wages they are demading. This has meant I have become a selling club, in the Jan transfer window of 2022/23 season (the one just gone) I sold 5 players, 3 first teamers and 2 rotation but developing into first teamers for a combined 6m. Managed to sign Rodrigo Bressan and Romain Allessandrini (both in their mid-30's) as short term answers. Player values seem very inflated on this years version too, with league 1 standard players available for 3-4 million etc.

My next aim is to bring more youth through but am really struggling to develop, I have good training facilities, good youth (which is in process of being upgraded), Exceptional Junior Coaching and Average Youth Recruitment. I can't upgrade the youth recruitment and haven't done so for 2 seasons. So its a bit of revolving door of foreign youth in, they develop as first teamers, they become too good for the league, major clubs interested, player sold and then back to scouting for hidden gems from South America and Africa.

Anyway, reading that back it sounds like i'm moaning about my save game which i'm not. Its enjoyable but frustrating to say the least.

4 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

Anyone else ever had this?  The same player on loan for the seventh straight season now.  I keep asking for another season every June and West Brom keep accepting.  :D

xKNgnuH.png

It's been a well known exploit for a while now that I may or may not have used in every single career so far since I found it. :onmehead:

9 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Hunting a new adventure. Not sure what I want.

Trying to overthrow the Portuguese giants with a little club? There have only been two seasons ever when one of Porto, Benfica, or Sporting didn't win the league. Mental, tbh.

1 hour ago, Deisler26 said:

*cough*Holland*cough*

Wouldn't mind another crack at Holland, had a great save with Heerenveen last year. I'll have a look and see if anything catches my eye.

59 minutes ago, withnail316 said:

Trying to overthrow the Portuguese giants with a little club? There have only been two seasons ever when one of Porto, Benfica, or Sporting didn't win the league. Mental, tbh.

Had a save with Braga in Touch at early release(man they start off with some impressive youth!).

47 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I'm going Youth Only in small club in Southern France with FM18, but you have already gazzumped me and then some with your French-Basque-ness.

To be fair, I took the easy way out by constantly, shamelessly, pilfering the Spanish sides. It's not too hard when you have a couple of world class academies feeding you.

Part of me wants to do a FC Kaiserslautern save, take them back to the top of the Bundesliga.

But, having recently been reading some classical history again, there's a quote I like:

"And so Alexander wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer..."

So now I am leaning towards an FYR Macedonia career.

Jellico73

Archived