Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

Hopefully more FMCU'ers will consider joining the fantasy football league, even I'm doing it and I don't play this sort of thing much.

Did something rather naughty today. After beating Arsenal 4-0 in the first leg of a CL tie we went ahead in the away leg (meaning they needed 6 goals) and I decided it would be fun to tease them by swapping my keeper with one of my forwards (I was even hoping he'd score, which would have really made my day) at half-time. Unfortunately they seemed to accept my challenge, not helped by the defence turning rubbish and 3 goals in 20 minutes later I decided to swap the players back, leading to the rest of the game being completely uneventful. Seemed a hilarious idea at the time, and if I'm in a similar situation against a weaker side I might even do it again :D

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question and I thought I'd post it in here as I figured you're the experts on Careers and it would get lost in the noise in GD.

When you set your experience as Automatic but start as unemployed, what reputation do you start with? The tooltip states that you get the minimum reputation required to get a job in the lowest league that you select. Presumably this means the league that you use as the starting point as the save, even if you don't have a job?

The reason I ask is that I decided to start a central European journeyman save last night. I created an Austrian manager with Sunday League experience and not a single Austrian club would offer me a job, ditto Switzerland or Germany, even clubs in the lowest tier. The only clubs which would offer a job were extremely tiny Portuguese clubs that were half populated with grey players.

If I start a new save with an Austrian manager, Automatic experience and unemployed, with Austria as the starting league, am I likely to get Austrian job offers this time?

As far as I always understood it, Automatic will adjust your starting reputation to be inline with the lowest league loaded - i.e. if you loaded all the leagues from England, Germany and Spain, you'd only likely to get a job at the lower ends of the English pyramid, as the reputation of the Skrill North/South are considerably lower than Liga 3 and Segunda Division B. That said, I believe manager nationality plays a part too, so, as an example, a Spanish national would be more likely to get a job Spain.

With Sunday League, the starting reputation can be a lot lower, and managers may struggle to find a job if they do not load leagues that have similarly low reputations. Going on the FM competition star rating, I would be amazed if anyone with Sunday League experience would get a job in any higher than a one star league.

For what you want to do, I think going with Automatic would be the way forward. This should set your reputation inline with the Austrian second tier. Let us know how you get on :thup:

Cheers AK. That makes sense; I've never started an unemployed 'bottom of the rung' save before, so it's not something I've ever come across. I'll Restart the save, making sure that my reputation is Automatic and that I haven't loaded the bottom tier of the Portuguese leagues just to ensure that they don't skew the job market.

It was actually your FM13 Vidar to France save that inspired me to start it, so thanks for that too!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So a new thing happened to me on FM this week. I'm still playing as the Norwegian side from my thread, and because we've had a lot of success both at home and abroad, player values had gone through the roof. My star player was valued at £42.5m the day we won our last European Cup, but he immediately went off on international duty and came back as an £8m player! Now I understand values can go down as well as up, but such a sudden jump for all of my players was a bit of a shock.

I'm now having clubs offering £15m for him and he's interested in talking to them, while last season I turned down an offer of £62m for him... a little weird.

So a new thing happened to me on FM this week. I'm still playing as the Norwegian side from my thread, and because we've had a lot of success both at home and abroad, player values had gone through the roof. My star player was valued at £42.5m the day we won our last European Cup, but he immediately went off on international duty and came back as an £8m player! Now I understand values can go down as well as up, but such a sudden jump for all of my players was a bit of a shock.

I'm now having clubs offering £15m for him and he's interested in talking to them, while last season I turned down an offer of £62m for him... a little weird.

I'm a bit annoyed tbh at how AI managers are willing to accept offers from other AI managers but not me. They accept offers from AI at a specific price, but they want 2.5 times more from me than other managers. Kinda unfair no?

I don't mind paying a few more million vs the other managers (paying the extra money isn't a big deal if I really want him, and I do that quite a lot), but an eight-figure difference and not really interested in negotiating? Sorry, that's broken and not right. The opposing manager has no opinion of me either.

I've just had a 'real life emulating FM' moment with that stoppage time Forest equalizer. I was getting so excited about going joint-top as well, and in fact reacted in exactly the same way as I do when seeing a late goal conceded on FM.

FM15 feature list:

Overall I'm really excited about a lot of features.

1. The RPG element with selecting your own attributes and being a tracksuit manager or a tactical manager. How this correlates into the game I don't know. But the game difficulty turning into what coaching badge you have at the start, and the possibility of 'promoting' yourself to a higher badge through your success being a manager. The past playing experience also ties in well with the mental attributes. An individual versed into football will have more knowledge and experience in being a manager because he has been on the other side of the player-manager relationship. Starting on the lowest rung will be a big challenge but can be very enjoyable. I always wanted to see my own attributes in my manager profile and I think this features also for this.
  2. The improvement of 3D ME is something very important as well. I know some like dots or commentary, but I think going 3D was one of the more important things that FM have done to increase the fanbase and help new players. Improved animations will hopefully improve the quality of watching. And different stadiums are awesome. One of them even looked like TFC's new expanded stadium rending so I was obviously excited about that :D. This could be the precursor of an actual stadium editor that you can make in 3D programs to further improve the experience, although this of course requires individual 3D files of every single stadium (although each file is small. OOTP15 have a 3D stadium thing and each file is tiny in size). We will have to see in the future. Perhaps FM will have the current setup of default stadiums where one 3D stadium matches a specific criteria, but allow for customization which matches the in-game stadium name and year built - eg. bmo_field_2007 is a 3D stadium file specific to TFC's home stadium. I think SI are laying the groundwork for a stadium editor and this is another step to that.
  3. Scouting is awesome. Pros and cons are super-awesome! I think it's great we can specifically tell our scouts what to look for.
  4. GUI went all Windows 8-like. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. :D
  5. Small but important: Finances with wage/transfer budgets moved up to May (or a month earlier than usual for summer leagues) is a small but vital addition. The ability for the game to understand wages spent on the current season and the following season is important too to sign a player for the following season. The ability for multiple favourite clubs (Guangzhou Hengda and Kitchee Sports Club can finally join TFC on the list!!!) as well as specific languages is even better.
  6. Job Interviews look much improved and not generic like FM14. I like it.
  7. Mustaches. 11/10.
  8. Twitch TV. Um cool?

More interaction options is ok I guess...it doesn't harm the experience I hope.

Still missing my #1 feature for every single sports game in the universe (only MLB The Show and OOTP Baseball and Franchise Hockey Manager have this): Ability to carry saves from a previous FM to a current one. But I like enough of the new stuff. :)

[*]Small but important: Finances with wage/transfer budgets moved up to May (or a month earlier than usual for summer leagues) is a small but vital addition. The ability for the game to understand wages spent on the current season and the following season is important too to sign a player for the following season.

[*]Mustaches. 11/10.

I hope the finances part will help those leagues with salary caps.

As for the mustaches... I'm now waiting for the moment one of my 15yo youth players grows a Tom Selick like mo. I will be most embarrassed to be shown up by an imaginary 15yo.

I'm not really interested in future versions (and in fact being back on an older and underspec laptop means I couldn't anyway) but taking a fairly dispassionate point of view there were definitely a few things of interest (, but nothing like DoF, Dynamic League rep or anything of the sort that was specifically something big to get excited about (well maybe the very mild RPG element for some people). I guess the 3D graphics is a major thing but as someone who generally sticks to commentary for speed reasons it's not something that would make much difference to me.

Scouting a specific nation isn't actually new, and nor is getting provisional budgets early (even if it makes a bit more of a difference), and while I can see the value of a lot of the new ideas, especially in making for a much more immersive squad management and media experience, much like FM14 I feel too much of that sort of thing would get in the way a bit too much of a smooth gaming experience, which is why I felt I'd gone as far as I could with the series in the first place. As someone who takes a hard line about keeping good players I'd probably end up with a revolt on a monthly basis (It's annoying enough getting demands for a new contract every time I reject even a small bid from a club that would be a sideways move at best on FM11), though on the flip side I'd probably end up making a lot of young players very happy indeed so it very much works both ways regarding how the way I like to do things would work on FM15.

Agreed that the scouting looks improved.

I didn't quite catch it, but could you switch between tracksuit and tactical manager? I saw in the tracksuit setup you're part of the coaching group. Which could be a help when you're at a cash-strapped semi-pro club that might let you hire only an ass man and a GK coach; then if you move to a bigger club (or your current club grows) that can afford several coaches, you could "delegate" more of the coaching and take on more of a supervisory role.

The rest is pretty "meh" to me. "Twitch integration" is a big yawn to me because A) I've never gone to Twitch and B) the Twitter integration hasn't worked for me since the first year it was in the game. :D

Question for all you more experienced career guys on here - when do you get the motivation to move on from your current club and how do do you approach the change? I'm in 2024/25 in my current game, started from the bottom, then progressively moved up from Curzon Ashton to Notts County to Leicester City. I have now got to the point with Leicester where we are the best team in England but not yet quite there when it comes to Europe. Last season I had an offer from Real Madrid, saved the game, accepted the offer and tried to get into this for about an hour, but then I got so frustrated by the mess the AI had made of the whole setup at that club that I just went back and loaded the Leicester game. Now I have an offer from Leverkusen and I feel like I should accept, but yet again I can't seem to motivate myself to sort out all the issues the incompetent AI has no doubt left behind. It all seems like so much effort when everything is set up so perfectly at Leicester, but at the same time the save is slowly growing stale :(

I learned a lot of FMs ago that the team I leave behind will get dismantled. Remember the good times, but you have to progress and look forward. New adventures await! :)

Yeah, the AI destroying your previous club is another thing, but I was more talking about what I was likely to find at the new place. When I leave Leicester for Real I kind of expect world class players and a big club setup in place, instead they had a depleted squad, all their good players wanted to leave (because they had finished 5th) and most importantly they had about 20 scouts, every one of them scouting Central Europe. It was just so frustrating when I realised that I can't even get the kind of quality in that I had available to me at Leicester. I mean, Real freaking Madrid don't scout South America (or anywhere beyond their own back yard)? Really?

Anyway, I took the Leverkusen job but saved the game again so I can go back. So far this one seems like a potentially more satisfying undertaking so hopefully I can stick with it.

Yeah, the AI destroying your previous club is another thing, but I was more talking about what I was likely to find at the new place. When I leave Leicester for Real I kind of expect world class players and a big club setup in place, instead they had a depleted squad, all their good players wanted to leave (because they had finished 5th) and most importantly they had about 20 scouts, every one of them scouting Central Europe. It was just so frustrating when I realised that I can't even get the kind of quality in that I had available to me at Leicester. I mean, Real freaking Madrid don't scout South America (or anywhere beyond their own back yard)? Really?

Anyway, I took the Leverkusen job but saved the game again so I can go back. So far this one seems like a potentially more satisfying undertaking so hopefully I can stick with it.

The only thing more soul-destroying than watching your old team get ripped apart is arriving at a new club and seeing they've been completely mis-managed. It's one thing at a club like Real or in my case Milan, but it's even more frustrating when you go to a club in a league with a cap on foreign players. I remember an old save on FM13 when I arrived at Spartak Moscow in something like 2022, and their squad was so full of non-Russians that I couldn't field a team. Hopefully AI management will have improved dramatically for FM15.

Really struggling to get into anything at the moment. Had one of those saves where I took a club from nowhere and turned them into one of the biggest sides in the world, before leaving and taking over at Milan. I couldn't get into that though so I've tried to start a new save, but I just can't get into anything. Anybody else ever get like this, and if so, how do you break it?

Really struggling to get into anything at the moment. Had one of those saves where I took a club from nowhere and turned them into one of the biggest sides in the world, before leaving and taking over at Milan. I couldn't get into that though so I've tried to start a new save, but I just can't get into anything. Anybody else ever get like this, and if so, how do you break it?

Me! After my Cambridge save ended in May/June i haven't been able to really get into a save. My playing time on FM has dwindled to about two hours a week where as before i would play at least four hours a night.

Even though i have a decent enough save going now i just don't have the passion for it like my Cambridge. I fully expect FM15 to break this 'post CUFC depression', it better had!

This game sucks right now for injuries.:(

Last season with Dusseldorf had so many that had my players out for 4 weeks or more at a time and this season got these...

zrYAiI.jpg

and we are only 5 games in, I know people will point out that it happens in real life but I'm just finding it too much in this game, also the 4 - 5 months is a key player so frustrated by that.

The more I play FM14 the less likely I am to buy FM15.

Edit

Maybe it's because I'm playing the classic mode and SI want people to purchase the "Magic Sponge".

Last season with Dusseldorf had so many that had my players out for 4 weeks or more at a time and this season got these...

zrYAiI.jpg

and we are only 5 games in, I know people will point out that it happens in real life but I'm just finding it too much in this game, also the 4 - 5 months is a key player so frustrated by that.

Edit

Maybe it's because I'm playing the classic mode and SI want people to purchase the "Magic Sponge".

I didn't buy FM14 so I have no direct frame of reference, but I always found on both 13 and 11 that I got more injuries in some leagues to others. Not sure why, but whenever I play in Italy I find almost half my squad gets crippled every season.

Bad luck perhaps, but highly frustrating!

zrYAiI.jpg

Edit

I lost 5/6 of my strikers to torn hamstrings and other long-term injuries ranging from 3-4 weeks to 5-6 months in FM09. Then my last remaining striker got dinged up for 3 weeks (during a fixture congestion no less), and had to play a defender (or a 16 year old striker) up front for 3 weeks. My defender got 2 goals in 5 games. :D

I was just looking around for possible transfers for new season and was staggered by this wage.

efjQs9.jpg

The biggest I had seen before was £300k, has anyone ever seen higher than this though?

Started true to life as unemployed, Sunday League football, with no coaching badges.

Blag my way into a job in Indonesia and now, after getting knocked back once before, talked the board into letting me go study for a National C License. :thup:

Goalkeepers definitely need work. Scored a goal in a pre-season friendly that resulted from an opposition fullback sending a lateral pass across to the middle of the park just outside the box. The opposition's goalkeeper moves laterally away from the ball, giving my onrushing forward an open goal to shoot at. :D

Archived