Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm interested in hearing a few opinions on FM14. Rancer has very kindly provided me with a 75% off voucher for the game bringing it down to around £9. I'm very tempted.

I've been craving FM like mad lately, especially since St Albans City were promoted this season back to the Conference South. It's calling out to me! 'Come manage the Saints on FM14,' it says, 'come and manage them Dafuge's Challenge style in the Conference South!'

I'm in two minds about buying the game. In the first place, I feel like I've grown really weary of the series and maybe even got burnt out on it. FM13 really annoyed me with bugs and I had my main save actually become unplayable due to an issue that broke the game. After that, in my mind I was not going to buy the next FM. I felt like I would 'boycott' it and sit one version out. When I heard about the removal of sliders in FM14, I felt like that confirmed it for me. On the other hand, I'm an FM addict, always have been, and despite my protestations about the game's changes each year, I do love FM. This is a game series that I have been playing since the early 90s when I first purchased CM2. I've bought and played every version since.

I've got such mixed feelings about buying FM14. I've been so annoyed with the game at times, especially FM13. I have sometimes got really angry with the limitations of the tactics system and the arbitrary/ambiguous team talks. To become actually angry at a computer game isn't very healthy but that's how FM has made me feel at times. Might sound a bit crazy but that's honestly how I have felt about the game in the past. At the same time, I just love role playing as a manager, thinking up tactics, learning about my players, watching the narrative of the game unfold over the course of a season (or seasons).

Another concern is that I'm also wondering if I have space for a game like FM in my life at the moment. I have a baby daughter who is like a huge black hole swallowing almost all free time that I have. Plus, when I do play games I'm on a massive CKII and EUIV kick right now. I'm in love with Paradox games.

Anyway, enough rambling, just wanted some thoughts on the new game and someone to assuage my fears that the game will make me feel as cross as FM13 did. A Dafuge's Challenge with St Albans City might be calling me. I'm so tempted! Opinions appreciated. :)

Hey guys, I'm interested in hearing a few opinions on FM14. Rancer has very kindly provided me with a 75% off voucher for the game bringing it down to around £9. I'm very tempted.

I've been craving FM like mad lately, especially since St Albans City were promoted this season back to the Conference South. It's calling out to me! 'Come manage the Saints on FM14,' it says, 'come and manage them Dafuge's Challenge style in the Conference South!'

I'm in two minds about buying the game. In the first place, I feel like I've grown really weary of the series and maybe even got burnt out on it. FM13 really annoyed me with bugs and I had my main save actually become unplayable due to an issue that broke the game. After that, in my mind I was not going to buy the next FM. I felt like I would 'boycott' it and sit one version out. When I heard about the removal of sliders in FM14, I felt like that confirmed it for me. On the other hand, I'm an FM addict, always have been, and despite my protestations about the game's changes each year, I do love FM. This is a game series that I have been playing since the early 90s when I first purchased CM2. I've bought and played every version since.

I've got such mixed feelings about buying FM14. I've been so annoyed with the game at times, especially FM13. I have sometimes got really angry with the limitations of the tactics system and the arbitrary/ambiguous team talks. To become actually angry at a computer game isn't very healthy but that's how FM has made me feel at times. Might sound a bit crazy but that's honestly how I have felt about the game in the past. At the same time, I just love role playing as a manager, thinking up tactics, learning about my players, watching the narrative of the game unfold over the course of a season (or seasons).

Another concern is that I'm also wondering if I have space for a game like FM in my life at the moment. I have a baby daughter who is like a huge black hole swallowing almost all free time that I have. Plus, when I do play games I'm on a massive CKII and EUIV kick right now. I'm in love with Paradox games.

Anyway, enough rambling, just wanted some thoughts on the new game and someone to assuage my fears that the game will make me feel as cross as FM13 did. A Dafuge's Challenge with St Albans City might be calling me. I'm so tempted! Opinions appreciated. :)

Just do it. :D

It won't be the worst investment to make imo. If you play it with 1/4 of the time that you usually played FM in the past years, it's a good deal.

I just think that you (and probably me) shouldn't ever love FM. Getting annoyed at a video game does probably mean you should stop playing it. I'm just going to approach it free easy. Sometimes, you just have to separate video games and real life. I have no expectations with FM14. I'm not going to get mad if things don't go my way in a video game. FM is as good or as bad as you mentally condition yourself it to be.

I reckon the more bigger issue is balancing your family needs, but if you like doing something, you will always find time to do it within your schedule. :)

Crouchy - I have three kids and when each of them were babies getting up for night feeds I stuck on a bit of FM to make getting up more inviting. The World Cup will be here soon with games in the middle of the night, staying up to watch them with a bit of FM is the way forward

Just do it. :D

It won't be the worst investment to make imo. If you play it with 1/4 of the time that you usually played FM in the past years, it's a good deal.

Yeah, that's true actually. My playing time for FM has always been really high. FM10 was probably something ridiculous like 1,500 hours (didn't play it on Steam at first so don't know the exact numbers). FM12 is my most played game according to Steam at 700+ hours. FM13 was the anomaly at 350 hours but that's still a lot of play time even though I consider that I didn't play that version much!

I just think that you (and probably me) shouldn't ever love FM. Getting annoyed at a video game does probably mean you should stop playing it. I'm just going to approach it free easy. Sometimes, you just have to separate video games and real life. I have no expectations with FM14. I'm not going to get mad if things don't go my way in a video game. FM is as good or as bad as you mentally condition yourself it to be.

For me, it's always more about having high expectations and being really let down by the game. I start to pick at every little part of it and begin to hate it. I think the problem with FM is the sheer number of hours I have played the series. I got badly burnt out on it and started to see everything negatively.

Your last point really rings true as well. I have been guilty of going into FM with a negative attitude. I did that with FM12 but luckily had a great save and found myself really enjoying the game when at first I was going in with the attitude of hating it.

I think if I get FM14, I'll have to go in with a far more relaxed attitude. FM is not always a good game for me as I have an addictive personality and I also have a tendency towards OCD. Not a good combination for FM. I think if I make it a background game and don't play non-stop as I have in the past, I'll probably be better off.

I reckon the more bigger issue is balancing your family needs, but if you like doing something, you will always find time to do it within your schedule. :)

Believe it or not, Mrs Crouchy actually said I should get FM14. I was shocked! Then again, maybe she is sick of hearing about CKII and EUIV, which I have been playing so much recently. :D

I'm actually pretty lucky with my family scheduling at the moment. I can get some good time on the PC in the evenings when my daughter is asleep. Mrs Crouchy also lets me get some PC time in at the weekend. Pretty lucky on that front. although don't know how long it will last!

Crouchy - I have three kids and when each of them were babies getting up for night feeds I stuck on a bit of FM to make getting up more inviting. The World Cup will be here soon with games in the middle of the night, staying up to watch them with a bit of FM is the way forward

I'm impressed by the FM during night feeds. I don't know if I could manage that during the middle of the night. During my daughter's night feeds, I just sort of stumbled around and finding baby & bottle seemed like an amazing achievement!

My daughter actually sleeps through the nights now. Well, until 6am. She's 20 weeks old this week.

You make a good point about the World Cup. It always makes me crave FM when the WC is on!

Well, I've finally caved in! Thanks Rancer! :p

Looking forward to getting started with St Albans City in Conference South. Dafuge's Challenge style! :cool:

Actually going to try some different things this time around. Will attempt to 'role play' as a manager who prefers fluid, attractive football (I'm usually a rigid, keep clean sheets, kind of manager) and will try to come up with an exciting 4-5-1 with attacking wingers/inside forwards. Something like that anyway. In general, I think I'm going to try for a slower, more deliberate, role playing style.

Can anyone recommend a good download for club badges? Where is the best place to look for them? I really just want to have all of the badges in England, especially Non-League. Anything more would be a bonus.

Also, can anyone recommend a file that I could download to change competition names? I like to have the proper names. :D

I'm not that fussy but I do always like to have club badges and competition names edited. Thanks for any help! :thup:

Well, I've finally caved in! Thanks Rancer! :p

Looking forward to getting started with St Albans City in Conference South. Dafuge's Challenge style! :cool:

Actually going to try some different things this time around. Will attempt to 'role play' as a manager who prefers fluid, attractive football (I'm usually a rigid, keep clean sheets, kind of manager) and will try to come up with an exciting 4-5-1 with attacking wingers/inside forwards. Something like that anyway. In general, I think I'm going to try for a slower, more deliberate, role playing style.

Can anyone recommend a good download for club badges? Where is the best place to look for them? I really just want to have all of the badges in England, especially Non-League. Anything more would be a bonus.

Also, can anyone recommend a file that I could download to change competition names? I like to have the proper names. :D

I'm not that fussy but I do always like to have club badges and competition names edited. Thanks for any help! :thup:

Try this link for real names.:thup:

A bit like crouchy, I've been hanging on with FM11 for a long time now (over 1000 hours) and I would like to move on to FM14.

But everything just seems so different and stuff like team meetings/training and the interface is just so different that I can't seem to get going at all.

Do any of you have any advice on how I can get going on 14? How much of the new stuff will I be dealing with on a regular basis and are there some fun ways I can get something started and build careers like I can on 11?

Anyone have a career to recommend reading that is a real battle? I love the more realistic careers; not the struggle first season, finish top the next season. I am trying to do that in my save by using transfer limits.

I wondered if anybody can point me towards a career here like that? Cheers.

Edit: Just found the Cambridge save by Kris. Awesome. Any more like that. Relegations are fun ;)

A bit like crouchy, I've been hanging on with FM11 for a long time now (over 1000 hours) and I would like to move on to FM14.

But everything just seems so different and stuff like team meetings/training and the interface is just so different that I can't seem to get going at all.

Do any of you have any advice on how I can get going on 14? How much of the new stuff will I be dealing with on a regular basis and are there some fun ways I can get something started and build careers like I can on 11?

I've only had the one relegation but plenty of ups and downs and a couple of nonsensical sackings. Have a read if you wish: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/378380-FM14-Dave-Duncan-s-Tour-of-Obscurity-The-Ali-Dia-of-Management

Where's all the old career threads gone? Was trying to look for my old ones :(
If you go to 'settings' (at the top) and then 'general settings' (on the left), there's a setting for 'default thread age cut off' about half way down. Is it that?

Don't know if I'm being stupid (I probably am!)...I'm trying to find old career threads that I've started but I can't see any apart from the thread I've got going at the minute. I've tried what daf said and also what delta said but it's only showing my one thread. Any ideas?

By the way, I'm using the search all posts started by me function.

I couldn't find my old threads through search function. Typing 'Crazy Canuck' didn't find anything. I had to find my old threads manually.
The search function is knackered, you have to search through the pages manually to find certain threads.

Cheers guys. This is what I had to do in the end...search through all 25 pages of the forum manually! Some good memories of some good saves :D

Can anyone give me some links to the best/most famous career threads? I found this but it doesn't look like it's been updated recently.

Ask and you shall receive. :)

Clicky

Ah the memories. :D

Most famous and best imo:

• dafuge's Bourneview's save - Young Men to World Beaters - just read every single one of his saves.
  • crouchy's St. Albans save
  • Nep's Knockbreda
  • SRL's saves. pick any
  • AK22 save - knocking Fergie off his retired perch
  • Nobby's Newcastle Town - still active :)

Read Raware's and DodgeeD's saves as well.

Ask and you shall receive. :)

Clicky

Ah the memories. :D

Most famous and best imo:

• dafuge's Bourneview's save - Young Men to World Beaters - just read every single one of his saves.
  • crouchy's St. Albans save
  • Nep's Knockbreda
  • SRL's saves. pick any
  • AK22 save - knocking Fergie off his retired perch
  • Nobby's Newcastle Town - still active :)

Read Raware's and DodgeeD's saves as well.

Is that 'cause you couldn't remember the name of my threads rancer?! :)

Are there any specific rules to follow for opening a career thread? I've just started a new save yesterday & would like to share the story as the save develops. Never been to this subforum before so I thought I'd ask beforehand :)

Love the Spain thrashing.

Kinda felt bad for Iker. His defense didn't really help although he gave up a couple awful goals. The Dutch easily could have scored a couple more goals near the end.

Loved the RVP goal as well. :D

I've decided there's no real point being an England fan at World Cups any more when I can be a Mexico fan instead. A lot of my family are also cheering for France but that doesn't come easily to a Brit :D

• 2 weeks later...

Sad times. I've got to let three club stalwarts go out to pasture at the end of the season, simply because they are blocking the progression of some of our youngsters, and I have limited room in my squad. These three have featured in over 800 games between them, but two are declining fast on the training pitch, and the other wants to be our top earner to sign a new deal.

What is your policy with older players - do you simply get rid of them, or is sentiment a part of your managerial make up?

Once players hit 31/32 I often think of getting rid or relegating them to back-up. However that depends on the availability of replacements and how well they continue to perform. Only legends get much in the way of sentimental treatment.

If a player isn't good enough, it's time for them to leave.

Yeah, maybe some players you can get sentimental, but you shouldn't be paying someone based on past accomplishments. I rather let someone go one year too early than one year too late. I have been burned a lot being loyal to a player past his prime.

After trying to start a game with the New England Revolution and losing interest as well as starting in the lower Australian divisions and having the same result, I decided to start a save at Tottenham. I figured I would be playing in the best league in all of soccer and have some names floating around that I would actually know since I'm learning the game of soccer.

It was nice to see a team with a legitimate transfer budget for once and a couple of my scouts showed me a kid that they really wanted me to go after. His name is Moussa Dembelé and at the age of 16 he looks promising. After some negotiations between me and Fulham, along with about four other teams throwing in offers, we were able to land the young star prospect! Here is what he looks like now:

unUEZMg.png

I'm excited to see his growth under Tottenham's tutelage and hope he grows into a star for our senior squad.

Archived