Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SI admitted at the start that there was an issue with ratings in lower leagues, especially full-backs, which seems to apply to wing-backs as well if my experience is anything to go by. I have to give defenders more patience than I would before hauling them off for being sub 6.4-6.2 and slightly lowering the 'stay on pitch' bar which leaves me feeling very vulnerable. It's ironic that FM 14 is considered one of the best in terms of release day state but after years of people moaning about 'game breaking bugs!!!!!!' that don't seem to be much of a problem as far as I'm concerned, we suddenly have a few things that are.

SI admitted at the start that there was an issue with ratings in lower leagues, especially full-backs, which seems to apply to wing-backs as well if my experience is anything to go by. I have to give defenders more patience than I would before hauling them off for being sub 6.4-6.2 and slightly lowering the 'stay on pitch' bar which leaves me feeling very vulnerable. It's ironic that FM 14 is considered one of the best in terms of release day state but after years of people moaning about 'game breaking bugs!!!!!!' that don't seem to be much of a problem as far as I'm concerned, we suddenly have a few things that are.

I was thinking that. FM14 is possibly the only release that I think there are genuinely things wrong with.

I think I've asked a while a go but how many of the regular posters on here are on twitter? I'd like to do some shouts for my favourite threads at some point and I'd like to mention whoever it is in the tweet if they're on twitter!

I think I've asked a while a go but how many of the regular posters on here are on twitter? I'd like to do some shouts for my favourite threads at some point and I'd like to mention whoever it is in the tweet if they're on twitter!

You know me :brock:

I've downloaded a file that adds leagues to Brazil down to an 8th tier. I started a save with a side in the 7th tier and so far it's extremely easy, not sure if I should post about the save with it being so easy, I think people may get bored with it quickly. Need your opinion guys, open a thread anyway or wait a few seasons to see if it gets a bit harder?

Had my fortnightly meeting with my assistant manager, who recommended dropping my central defender because of poor form (he's averaging a 7.00 in his last 5 games, and a 6.85 for the season) and replacing him with my ... backup goalkeeper.

Maybe that explains why my team is ****. :D

Ok, here's my two penneth on FM14 - I've played just over half a season so I feel I have an idea on what's what now.

I'm quite concerned that this match engine was deemed acceptable to be the 'full release' version. I didn't really get into the Beta, so can't compare the two, but the defending on the current version is nothing short of abysmal. Alan Hansen would have a field-day analysing it. Defenders don't tackle or pressurise the opponent, full-backs don't track back, players turn the wrong way; it just feels fundamentally wrong in all accounts. Due to this, the match ratings are all over the place. Consistently I'm seeing 5.0 or less for my fullbacks, which is something I would only expect if they were having a total shocker. I could have Philip Lahm and Ashley Cole playing, and I doubt they would do much better. In it's current state, it's certainly not 'unplayable', but I would have expected the match engine to have been an improved version of the final FM13 version; this just feels like we've gone off in another direction again. Potentially, this is not a bad thing either, as the improvements to the 3D graphics are already evident, but I would still have expected the issues highlighted to be minimal on release day. After all, defending is a huge part of football management, and it just isn't right as it stands.

All of that said, the interface is much more user friendly, especially the improved inbox with the press conferences embedded, which slightly reduces the number of clicks needed to do things. Player interaction seems improved too, and seems a lot less arduous when you want to talk to a player. However, I would forgo all of these improvements for a match engine that has the fundamentals of attacking and defending ready to go from the off. I'm sure it's not easy to achieve this, but for me, this is what I want, not all this new glossy nonsense.

Looks like I'll be continuing with my FM13 save for a bit longer :D

I'm quite concerned that this match engine was deemed acceptable to be the 'full release' version. I didn't really get into the Beta, so can't compare the two, but the defending on the current version is nothing short of abysmal. Alan Hansen would have a field-day analysing it. Defenders don't tackle or pressurise the opponent, full-backs don't track back, players turn the wrong way; it just feels fundamentally wrong in all accounts. Due to this, the match ratings are all over the place. Consistently I'm seeing 5.0 or less for my fullbacks, which is something I would only expect if they were having a total shocker. I could have Philip Lahm and Ashley Cole playing, and I doubt they would do much better. In it's current state, it's certainly not 'unplayable', but I would have expected the match engine to have been an improved version of the final FM13 version; this just feels like we've gone off in another direction again.

Weirdly, I feel like the original beta had the best balance.

I recommend this...

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/370921-What-exactly-have-I-paid-for-here

Anyway for a few years now I've felt FM has had a 'reverse star trek movie curse' thing going on, where I feel the odd numbered ones are better than the even numbered ones, with FM10 being the shining exception. Admittedly this is just my opinion and experiences with various reasons for the lesser opinions of the even numbered (technical issues with FM 08 and 12, though I was hardly in love with the former anyway, and FM 06 mostly being 05 with team talks)

FM 10 my first proper FM, did buy a cheap copy of FM 05 but my PC at the time wasn't good enough to run it very well.

I didn't like FM 11 and found FM 12 better but the adding and removing leagues problem ruined a great game I had going, that was my only big issue with that release, FM 13 I really didn't like the Beta as the ME had so many issues but I still went and purchased the full version and got into some good games, but I always seem to end up going back to my very first save on FM 10.

I had no plans to purchase FM 14 but have been tempted to in the last few days though, anyway I think I will hold off as it appears from what I have read there are still several issues with the ME so I will stick with what I have for now.

Custom databases are fine. Most people simply use them to add leagues/nations but as long as you say what you've done (which doesn't look like much) and you don't overdo it you shouldn't have any problems.

Custom databases are fine. Most people simply use them to add leagues/nations but as long as you say what you've done (which doesn't look like much) and you don't overdo it you shouldn't have any problems.

Yeah, all that been done is the Topklasse activated and expanded to include the one team (highest rep) from Aruba, Curacao, Bonarie, Suriname and Sint Maarten.

So how is everyone finding FM14 so far?

I haven't bought it. In fact, as I said further up the page, I actually thought about not getting the new FM at all this time around. :eek:

There are a few reasons for this. First of all, I had a bad experience with FM13 (in particular a game ruining bug that spoilt my main save). Secondly, Mrs Crouchy and I are expecting our first child due in December and I'm expecting my life to change completely, utterly and forever!

I reached the conclusion that my FMing days were well behind me but just as I thought I was out, FM started dragging me back in again. Once an FM addict, always an FM addict, I guess! The cravings have returned just recently. I can't say why exactly. Maybe it has to do with St Albans City being in the FA Cup 1st round proper IRL (the first time the club has reached the First Round since 2002, and the first time that they have faced League opposition at home in 33 years). Actually, it probably has nothing to do with that, but I just wanted to get that into this post somehow. :D It actually has more to do with reading threads on FMCU and seeing some familiar names get stuck into new careers on the latest game.

I had never really given up FM, I guess, as I have still been casually playing my FM10 save with the St Albans City of Michel Vermeer and Michael Ball (both on the verge of retirement now). However, I resolved not to buy a new FM since my disappointments with FM13. But it is the case that my cravings have got so strong that I'm even firing up FM13 lately for a bash at a save in the lower leagues of Sweden. Maybe all will be forgiven at last, FM13, after I have made you wait so long!

At first, I resolved not to buy the new game at all. My falling out with FM13 had been really bad and I was getting wound up by the huge, over-the-top 'hype' for FM14 (e.g. '1,000 improvements and enhancements!'). I must be one of the few people actually totally turned off by SI's marketing of the game. It had totally the opposite effect on me. Now that it has died down and the game is out, I seem to be interested again. :D

So anyway, what is FM14 like guys? Is everyone enjoying it? Do you think it could bring this cynical old FM addict back to the series in the same way as FM12 did for me?

I should also use this post to remind everyone of the existence of the Steam FMCU group - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FMCU - definitely worth joining as there are some awesome people on this forum who you might like to add to your friends list on Steam. :)

The End. :p

I actually love FM14, though admittedly there are a few issues to sort. Most notably the lower league contracts issue. I do sometimes wonder though if my positivity towards this release is more to do with the fact that it isn't FM13. I mean I did play it all year and desperately tried to like it - even had some memorable moments and saves - but ultimately when I think back to it I've realised that I utterly despise that game and it's ME. The current one has defensive issues but on the whole it's just so much more fluid and incredibly less frustrating. They've also done some really good stuff with the UI like the intergrated news items for renewing contracts and press conferences etc.

As ever, everybody starting their careers on the new game has tempted me, but I'm staying strong this year I think. Still plenty of life in FM13 for me, and although the game has a few shortfalls, I still really enjoy it. Besides, I can't bear the thought of leaving Scandinavia right now anyway!

I've been considering starting a thread based on my save with Clyde in Scottish League Two where I'm using a form of the tactic discussed in the Dortmund thread in the tactics forum, but I'm having trouble getting a screenshot. I'm using a new Windows 8 laptop and every time I hit print screen in the game I go to paint to find that it has taken a screenshot of the desktop or interner browser or whatever's in the background whilst I'm playing FM. Anyone know how I can sort this?

Personally, I alt-F9 to make an automatic FM screenshot in windowed mode, then whack it into the imageshack uploader (downloadable tool). I did have to pay a bit of cash to upgrade my Imageshack account though IIRC, as I filled up the free space. Mind you, that sub must have expired by now so who knows.

I just find it really quick.

My method is perhaps a little long-winded, but it works and isn't complicated. Put FM into windowed mode, print your screen and paste into a blank word document, edit the image (cropping etc) with MS Office Picture Manager and upload via imageshack/ photobucket etc. Easy.

What's the easiest way to do screenshots these days? Can I embed images from Steam onto the forum or not?

ALT+F9 - Sends a screenshot to \MyDocuments\SportsInteractive\Screenshots

imgur - bulk upload screenshots from computer and then use direct links to post on forums.

I think imgur is the best option because it has a streamlined interface, no registration, reliable, and is just really intuitive.

I haven't bought it. In fact, as I said further up the page, I actually thought about not getting the new FM at all this time around.

There are a few reasons for this. First of all, I had a bad experience with FM13 (in particular a game ruining bug that spoilt my main save). Secondly, Mrs Crouchy and I are expecting our first child due in December and I'm expecting my life to change completely, utterly and forever!

I reached the conclusion that my FMing days were well behind me but just as I thought I was out, FM started dragging me back in again. Once an FM addict, always an FM addict, I guess! The cravings have returned just recently. I can't say why exactly. Maybe it has to do with St Albans City being in the FA Cup 1st round proper IRL (the first time the club has reached the First Round since 2002, and the first time that they have faced League opposition at home in 33 years). Actually, it probably has nothing to do with that, but I just wanted to get that into this post somehow. It actually has more to do with reading threads on FMCU and seeing some familiar names get stuck into new careers on the latest game.

I had never really given up FM, I guess, as I have still been casually playing my FM10 save with the St Albans City of Michel Vermeer and Michael Ball (both on the verge of retirement now). However, I resolved not to buy a new FM since my disappointments with FM13. But it is the case that my cravings have got so strong that I'm even firing up FM13 lately for a bash at a save in the lower leagues of Sweden. Maybe all will be forgiven at last, FM13, after I have made you wait so long!

At first, I resolved not to buy the new game at all. My falling out with FM13 had been really bad and I was getting wound up by the huge, over-the-top 'hype' for FM14 (e.g. '1,000 improvements and enhancements!'). I must be one of the few people actually totally turned off by SI's marketing of the game. It had totally the opposite effect on me. Now that it has died down and the game is out, I seem to be interested again.

So anyway, what is FM14 like guys? Is everyone enjoying it? Do you think it could bring this cynical old FM addict back to the series in the same way as FM12 did for me?

I should also use this post to remind everyone of the existence of the Steam FMCU group - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FMCU - definitely worth joining as there are some awesome people on this forum who you might like to add to your friends list on Steam.

The End.

A part of me actually wants to play FM14, but then I remember my frustrations from FM13, and then I remember why I got into FM in the first place (Toronto FC), and then I watch them IRL...and it's depressing seeing them lose every game in the 93rd and I stop trying to play FM. In a way, it's like watching FM irl with them. :D

I still remember all my memorable saves through the years (FM08- Guangdong Rizhiquan, FM08 - AFC Wimbledon, FM08 - PSV, FM09 - Real Oviedo, FM12 - Dardanelspor, FM12 career game with Shakhtar where I loaded 51 European leagues, FM13 with Galatasaray). I even remember Liu Lijia and Zhou Jinhui from Rizhiquan and Javier my left back from Oviedo.

As long as those 1000 improvements and enhancements include 'a non-bugged MLS' (I believed them from FM08 to FM13, and every save ended in frustration) and adding more out of the box leagues (I am biased - I want West Asian leagues for my challenge and I do like their leagues from the xml but it feels incomplete and would be much better if SI just did them. My distaste for FM is basically down to the lack of support for the leagues I like playing in.

I'm quite happy being away from FM right now (already talked to you and NF about it) and I might consider FM14 when it's 75% off (or around the CDN$7.50-$10 range) or whereabouts to have a look at it.

I'm still in the FMCU Steam group and I don't mind talking about FM (or all my other games on Steam :D). Steam name is the same as my forum name. I can also help you find lots of sales on Steam games!

I haven't bought it. In fact, as I said further up the page, I actually thought about not getting the new FM at all this time around. :eek:

I reached the conclusion that my FMing days were well behind me but just as I thought I was out, FM started dragging me back in again. Once an FM addict, always an FM addict, I guess! The cravings have returned just recently. I can't say why exactly. Maybe it has to do with St Albans City being in the FA Cup 1st round proper IRL (the first time the club has reached the First Round since 2002, and the first time that they have faced League opposition at home in 33 years). Actually, it probably has nothing to do with that, but I just wanted to get that into this post somehow. :D It actually has more to do with reading threads on FMCU and seeing some familiar names get stuck into new careers on the latest game.

At first, I resolved not to buy the new game at all. My falling out with FM13 had been really bad and I was getting wound up by the huge, over-the-top 'hype' for FM14 (e.g. '1,000 improvements and enhancements!'). I must be one of the few people actually totally turned off by SI's marketing of the game. It had totally the opposite effect on me. Now that it has died down and the game is out, I seem to be interested again. :D

I should also use this post to remind everyone of the existence of the Steam FMCU group - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FMCU - definitely worth joining as there are some awesome people on this forum who you might like to add to your friends list on Steam. :)

First off congratulations. Having a kid will change your life and perspective forever. As a parent of a 1 yo and 3 yo it will put a limit on the time you will play but you will find yourself playing at strange hours. I remember when my son was about 4 months old and he would only sleep on either me or my wife so I spent most of the night playing FM with him alseep on me. Without FM it would have been a nightmare!!

From my experience, I am enjoying FM14. I never was a sliders fan so the new tactics, for me, is much more intuitive so my results have been decent. I don't get worked up about the bugs etc in the game as there are more important things in life to worry about and for £30 for a years entertainment I think it is good value!

First and foremost congrats on the baby. Hope everything goes well. I have three boys all under the age of 8. None are really old enough for FM14. It will cut into your time although when my kids were a little younger, getting up with the baby for a night feed often meant I could stick a cheeky 30 mins or so in.

As for the new game, I actually like it I feel it is much more challenging this year. The contract issues are annoying but I am not sure if they are just in to make the game harder.

Just a little thought. But would it be worth having the little career updates thread stickied? I think it could increase the number of posters in this forum and then lead to more chat.

As it stands some people don't want to create a proper thread but like to give little updates ala GPTG threads. Now obviously the little updates thread often disappears. Would it be worth creating a new one and stickying it or just stickying the old one.

Just a little thought. But would it be worth having the little career updates thread stickied? I think it could increase the number of posters in this forum and then lead to more chat.

As it stands some people don't want to create a proper thread but like to give little updates ala GPTG threads. Now obviously the little updates thread often disappears. Would it be worth creating a new one and stickying it or just stickying the old one.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Sounds like a decent idea as it often gets lost when it isn't used for a while.

We could also do with removing a few of the current stickies, like the ideas and the competitions ones.

Archived