Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

I've struggled to get into a save since ending my career thread, I've played 2-3 seasons as Spurs and Leeds but anything else I've tried I just haven't felt into it. I'm not sure if I'll do a career thread next year as I've started my own FM blog so might end up posting my career on there instead.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope I'm able to get into FM14. I never really clicked with 13 at all, couldn't get things right tactically and just didn't have a save take my fancy.

Same here, something just seemed off about it. Or maybe it's just that I had a good save in FM12 despite obviously using the quick solo striker tactic 'cheat', I couldn't get any success at all in FM13.

Next year I'll have less time to play, in fact probably very little time but I'm hoping that will make it better for me as I've had way too much time to play this year, typically I haven't enjoyed it!

Maybe there is another forum better suited for this, but as it affects the beginning of a career, I think this is where one can find the most appropriate answer:

I was fooling around with a downloaded Canadian & US league (concacaf) and joined a small amateur club. My team never improved tactics in the 18 games (including friendlies) it took the team to sack to me. I had brought in lots (14-15) of new players. So, do amateur teams improve tactical knowledge, even if very very slow?

Any idea how to get a stuck disk out of a laptop with just a slot, rather than a tray? Apparently there's a release catch on the bottom, and I think I've found it (a small circle like a hole punch hole, but there is also another elsewhere so that might not be it). I've had the FM 13 disk stuck in it for a long time, I want it to be out by the FM 14 release (I don't want to buy a digital download for multiple reasons) but it would also be nice to watch DVD's without using my older laptop (which has a rather temperamental disk drive anyway), as well a finally put Civ V on and all manner of things it would be rather useful to have a usable disk slot for. It's ironic as in the pre-steam days every FM disk practically stayed in all year, now I'm back to that but not out of choice :D

silly question but you did try to right click in my computer on the disc drive to eject it?

Yes, many times even after using the old (and surprisingly useful) trick of 'turning it off and on again'. Not to mention trying the 'eject' button just above the keyboard.

Hang on, I thought I was meant to try and trigger a catch on the bottom, not poke around in the disk slot itself, and I'd probably damage it if I did so anyway. Not sure a picture will do much use, it would just be of my laptop as the disk is completely inside as norma :D

Hang on, I thought I was meant to try and trigger a catch on the bottom, not poke around in the disk slot itself, and I'd probably damage it if I did so anyway. Not sure a picture will do much use, it would just be of my laptop as the disk is completely inside as norma :D

haha DONT poke in the slot your sure to kill the disc n drive get a paper clip and use the release catch (turn off laptop first)

Well, I feel a right nana now. When trying the paperclip unsuccessfully and ringing a friend, he said that it was odd that the laptop recognized the drive ok but not a disk, so I tried another, the FM 12 disk to be precise (just in case the it was the obvious explanation of there being nothing in there after all) which seemed to work fine. I thought that somehow the FM 13 disk had partly ejected but not actually come out (especially with a few odd noises when I put the disk in that suggested a partial obstruction, which was probably due to my attempts to activate the catch slightly shifting the drive or something), with enough room for another disk to enter and be identified. My friend told me it was impossible, and I'd just written a detailed post about it, but I've just found the FM 13 disk in it's case (having got it mixed up with one of the other boxes when explaining how it would have been in there had it come out).

Given I've worried about this ever since the alleged incident, it turns out that I did get it out after all and forgot overnight, as unlikely as that seemed. Thankfully my forceful attempts to activate the release (given there was nothing to release) doesn't seem to have caused too much damage to the disk drive and while there's a bit of bent metal relating to the catch and a few things about when I put the 12 disk in that suggests it's not perfect, maybe there's a slight dent or misalightment), it should be perfectly fine and usable (again, as the FM 12 disk test showed, being accepted and identified immediately, though I didn't try running the game itself, mainly as it isn't installed, and ejecting quickly and smoothly). It doesn't make me feel any less of an idiot though.

I'm planning a head-to-head with elbilly at some point, and given we never got to have a FMCU championship (planning times with more than a small number of people was always going to be pretty much impossible) it would be great if at least 1 or 2 other people might be up for it so we could turn it into a proper competition. Given the time difference he can probably only do late evenings early/mid mornings (UK time), but it would still be great to do something even with a tournament and the head-to-head ending up being different things. I was going to wait a couple more seasons for my Ipswich team to mature a bit more but there's a good time in the next week or two I think we should go for it. After all a lot of us were rather excited about playing against each other with our best sides so it would be great to finally get around to doing so while we still have the chance on FM13.

I'm rather busy this weekend, and actually unlike most people weekdays are better for me as usually no one else is around so I have complete freedom over what I do. I also noticed Lenzar and AK22 expressing interest in the latter's thread.

I'm rather busy this weekend, and actually unlike most people weekdays are better for me as usually no one else is around so I have complete freedom over what I do. I also noticed Lenzar and AK22 expressing interest in the latter's thread.

Just replied to your PM. Monday and Thursday evenings are good for me and/or most weekends (except this one coming). I hope Alex Fernando is still up to the task :)

Cheers, just replied to that. Looks like the evening of Saturday 19th (from 8PM) is the best option so far. It's probably not that great for me but I'll see what I can sort out. Actually since it's right after the FM14 Beta launch it works out timing-wise as a farewell for FM13 with some of the strongest sides we've had this year (and mine, which is strong in its own right but probably lacking against a few others). Hopefully we can get at least a few people so anyone who thinks they might be able to do it is welcome.

Cheers, just replied to that. Looks like the evening of Saturday 19th (from 8PM) is the best option so far. It's probably not that great for me but I'll see what I can sort out. Actually since it's right after the FM14 Beta launch it works out timing-wise as a farewell for FM13 with some of the strongest sides we've had this year (and mine, which is strong in its own right but probably lacking against a few others). Hopefully we can get at least a few people so anyone who thinks they might be able to do it is welcome.

Next Saturday night is good for me :thup:

Well so far looks like myself, AK22 and elbilly. Lenzar's a maybe depending on whether waiting until 8:30 will be help, hopefully dafuge is also likely and we can get one or two more. Hopefully we can do it, enjoy ourselves, and people will be interested in potential future competitions as this is a feature worth using.

I'm already planning to do an update on my thread in my usual style, as I did when I did the head-to-head with b101 a while back and hopefully I'll be able to do a bit better than I did then. Ideally someone might be able to do a video but I'm not sure if that'll happen. I might say something about it on here as well.

Apparently the Beta is go, not that I ever intended to play (for me release day proper is a sacred occasion and only then do I dip into a new FM for the first time, this year I might even wait longer than that depending on how soon I can finish the current save off, as I want a CL first) but it should mean this place gets active again, as it started going quiet rather earlier in the summer than I expected. Hopefully that might mean a couple more people for Saturday evening.

FWIW, I've compiled the starting reputations of all the "playable out of the box" top-flight leagues:

ENG, ESP - 4-1/2 stars

GER, ITA - 4

FRA, BRA, POR, RUS - 3-1/2

HOL, UKR, TUR, ARG, MEX, GRE, BEL - 3

USA, SCO, DEN, ROK, SUI, ROM, SUI, CZE, AUT, CHI, ISR, RSA, POL, CRO, SRB, COL, BUL, SLO, NOR, BLR, URU, SWE - 2-1/2

SLV, PER, HUN, ISL, CHN, AUS, FIN, ROI - 2

NIR, IDN - 1-1/2

WAL, IND, Hong Kong, Singapore, MAL - 1

The highest rated second divisions are:

Championship, 2. Bundesliga, Brazilian Serie B - 3 stars

Ligue 2, Italian Serie B, Liga adalente, Argentine second division - 2-1/2

League One is also rated as 2-1/2 stars

Ah the forum is alive with the sound of new threads in bloom! Hopefully this evening will be a success as the first attempt at an 'FMCU championship' on versus mode. We tried to do something earlier in the year with lots of people interested but simply trying to co-ordinate people from a few different time-zones to do a 'trial run' was impossible. However we do have 4 very strong sides. My Ipswich, AK22's Dortmund, elbilly's Man Utd and hopefully Lenzar's Chelsea as well so while we don't have the numbers we do have the quality and hopefully it will make for a very exciting and competitive evening.

Well, tonight was a success while it lasted, and once we were finally underway. Something happened with Lenzar's connection just going into the 3rd round of games, so we were all disconnected and the 3rd round went on without us! We soon figured out how we could continue but by that point we were probably all happy to leave it as it was as we'd had a lot of fun in the games we could play and we'd all played each other once as far as the game was concerned so we felt that would do. Lenzar has screenshots of the fixtures and tables that hopefully he can post, but otherwise here is what happened

Round 1

Man Utd (elbilly) 2-1 Ipswich (deltablue)

Chelsea (Lenzar) 3-3 Dortmund (AK22)

Round 2

Ipswich 5-2 Chelsea

Dortmund 2-3 Man Utd

Round 3 (under AI control)

Dortmund 3-3 Ipswich

Chelsea 0-4 Man Utd

1. Man Utd/elbilly (9pts)

2. Ipswich/deltablue (4pts)

3. Dortmund/AK22 (2pts)

4. Chelsea/Lenzar (1pt)

Archived