Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

Anyone know where to find the editor these days? I have a project in mind (admitedly for FM14 at the earliest) that might require using it for a few adjustments.

Sorry for slow response: Open Steam -> Library -> All Games -> Tools -> Football Manager Editor. And then Install” :thup:

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's hit the point where most careers have run their natural course, and it's trying to think up another one. A long break from the game almost broke my original career, and any new one I started I couldn't get into. That happened to me with FM12 just a month or so before 13 came out, but unfortunately it's come on a lot earlier this time.

It's only in the past few days that I've noticed that much of a slowdown, maybe people are away for a summer break or something, or have a lot on their plate because other people are. The big drop (when FM14 gets close) is yet to come I feel. Even I felt I was starting to have enough of my current career, though that's picked up again after a bit of doubt, so what forameuss says maybe partly true.

I've slowed down a bit recently (to about a season a week) but I'm bound to pick up again once school breaks up for the summer.

I can tell that the forum is quiet, as no one even noticed me getting a son :(

While at school? Youngsters these days.

Since my laptop has gone bananas and I've not been able to play FM properly in it, I've turned to FM Handheld on my Android phone. Won the Champions League with Porto in the first season. :cool: Had never done that before in any FM/CM ever (winning the CL with my club). Nearly a clean sweep of trophies too, but Sporting beat me in the cup semi-final.

I've been doing pretty badly in the transfer market in the window after that though and lost Fernando - who is an absolute beast - to Juve for just 12.5M€ otherwise he'd go on a Bosman at the end of the season. :( The replacement? Man Utd's Anderson. :rolleyes: I also managed to annoy the entire team in the process of doing the various transfer dealings.

I've been doing pretty badly in the transfer market in the window after that though and lost Fernando - who is an absolute beast - to Juve for just 12.5M€ otherwise he'd go on a Bosman at the end of the season. :( The replacement? Man Utd's Anderson. :rolleyes: I also managed to annoy the entire team in the process of doing the various transfer dealings.

I'd be annoyed too if Anderson got in ahead of me! :D

I've decided what I am doing. But, unless some players are listed for loan/sale. Then he won't attempt to sell/loan them. Obviously if someone bids for one of players he can accept reject as he sees fit. So I might have to decide to transfer list/loan some youngsters and then let him sell/loan.

• 2 weeks later...

I have quite a few people in my FM10 game with same surname which I suppose is no big deal but it's not exactly a surname you see much of but no son and it's unlikely to happen now as I'm 71.:)

Not had a son on 12 or 13 either but haven't played so far in with those.

I've had it planned since I got FM13 :D That said there have been a couple of rival ideas, and I'm probably going to go for one of them leaving the original idea (which would give me a better thread title :D) on the back-burner for even longer.

I've already started drafting up my new save for FM14 and the release won't be for at least another two months! The screenshots do look great, and some nice changes to some key areas looks fun to tackle. Especially the interviews, hopefully as a journeyman that'll be an interesting development.

Every year, it's the same... I either really get into my save and tell myself I'm going to keep going and delay getting the new game or I get bored of FM and think I'll give the next verison a miss...

Then, the announcement comes along and (even without fully reading through the new features and changes), I find myself very tempted to pre-order and start planning a long-term career save!!

Not sure what I am going to do regarding FM14. Currently planning on doing the Liverpool thread in the GPTG because I haven't played a save with them for years. Will probably run some sort of career alongside it.

Every year, it's the same... I either really get into my save and tell myself I'm going to keep going and delay getting the new game or I get bored of FM and think I'll give the next verison a miss...

Then, the announcement comes along and (even without fully reading through the new features and changes), I find myself very tempted to pre-order and start planning a long-term career save!!

If you are enjoying a save then definitely don't abandon it in favour of starting again with a new version of FM. That's my advice anyway. The next version of FM will always be there for when you reach a point that you feel 'finished' with your current save.

I've made the same mistake twice in abandoning a save I was enjoying and throwing myself at a new version of FM. It happened for me with FM08, where I had a really interesting career save going in which I had been moving around Europe and had finally made it to the top in Germany. Unfortunately, I decided to jump 'head first' into FM09 and found myself frustrated by the bugs but also felt unable to return to my old save now that I had been playing the new version.

It also occurred with FM12, which was one of my most enjoyable saves for quite some time. I got carried away by the FM13 hype and the cheap pre-order price. I left behind a great save with Hellas Verona in Italy only to have my first save in FM13 die to the Italian taxes bug.

So if you are enjoying a save, don't just jump into the new game and set it aside! That's my advice!

I'm still thoroughly enjoying my Newcastle Town FM11 save.

I've been further back in time than Nobby as I've been dipping in and out of my St Albans City FM10 save recently! Just for the odd season now and then.

As for FM14, I actually feel as though I won't be getting it this time around. That's my feeling right now. There are a few reasons why I feel like that.

First of all, I didn't have a great time with FM13 and found myself really frustrated with the game after experiencing so many bugs early on. I really had a bad falling out with the game when a bug killed my main save after I had put 100+ hours into it.

Secondly, I feel as though FM has become somewhat stale for me. I guess this is bound to happen when you spend so much time playing the same series over multiple editions. I've been obsessed with CM/FM since the early 90s so it was bound to happen sooner or later I guess. It's not helped by the fact that I feel as though the series isn't making any great leaps forward and hasn't done so for a long time now.

Finally, Mrs Crouchy and I are expecting our first child - a baby girl - due in December. I'm extremely excited and can't wait to be a Dad! This definitely means less gaming time as my life will change dramatically when the little one arrives! It's quite likely that when I do have time for playing on my computer, I'll be looking elsewhere for my gaming fix. I've recently got into Paradox games, for example, and I'm finding myself fascinated by their depth, complexity and the stories they generate. So I tend towards loading these games up ahead of looking at FM these days.

I've noticed a bit of a trend with some older players that I talk to on Steam who have been playing FM less and less this year. Well, I think calling it a trend is probably not quite right as I know there are plenty of older players who love FM13 more than ever. But perhaps some of us are getting older and moving on from FM for various reasons. I don't know....

Being negative for a minute, I tend to get a bit alienated at this time of year rather than excited by the new game announcement. Each year, the new FM game appears to have huge hype (e.g. '1,000 improvements and enhancements!'). Older Crouchy has got really cynical compared to younger Crouchy and, rather than getting excited, I think things like: 'Will they work properly though?' and 'are any of them really significant because for a number of versions now the new releases haven't actually been that different from the previous version!'

I've said all that but it is still the case that I always love the idea of a football management game and I miss the stories that FM generates and role-playing as a football manager. I guess that's what FM is to me primarily - a story generator. I love watching the game world unfold and following the story of my clubs and players. Therefore, there is always the chance that I will end up picking up FM14 at some point but I'm pretty sure I won't be pre-ordering it or getting it on release this time around.

If you are enjoying a save then definitely don't abandon it in favour of starting again with a new version of FM. That's my advice anyway. The next version of FM will always be there for when you reach a point that you feel 'finished' with your current save.

I've made the same mistake twice in abandoning a save I was enjoying and throwing myself at a new version of FM. It happened for me with FM08, where I had a really interesting career save going in which I had been moving around Europe and had finally made it to the top in Germany. Unfortunately, I decided to jump 'head first' into FM09 and found myself frustrated by the bugs but also felt unable to return to my old save now that I had been playing the new version.

It also occurred with FM12, which was one of my most enjoyable saves for quite some time. I got carried away by the FM13 hype and the cheap pre-order price. I left behind a great save with Hellas Verona in Italy only to have my first save in FM13 die to the Italian taxes bug.

So if you are enjoying a save, don't just jump into the new game and set it aside! That's my advice!

I wish that were the case but unfortunately for me on FM13, it's been the second of the two scenarios. I never really got into it this year - couldn't get a decent set of tactics together and found it a lot harder to manouvre in the transfer market and balance the books. That left me with average players, a small squad, inconsistent tactical performances and ever increasing debts in the two saves I tried to get going... (first time ıt's been like this for me since FM07 I think). I am tempted by the new version (as always!) but I may well hold off until the New Year so I hopefully miss it a bit and get in in the Steam January Sale :brock:

I am undecided whether to get FM14 or not. I have to thank rancer for helping me get into FM13 as I had tried a number of teams during the early beta release and just couldn't get into a save. I had a few one seasons here and there since but nothing like my Asian save which is awesome. Nearly 30 seasons at one club and whilst we're going through a rough patch at the moment I'm still loving it. It's also my longest save as well with the previous one being on FM10 with Scunthorpe United which lasted about 6 seasons. I think I am planning on buying FM14 but will still play this save as well as my FM14 one. I'm really unsure as to who I want to be on FM14 if I should get it. So will start thinking over the coming months. Or, if that doesn't work, just pick a team when I get the game and hope it sticks.

I will get FM14 if my Newcastle Town game goes tits up, the game is patched with no game breaking bugs and a quality English lower leagues database is released. If only the first has happened, I have FM13 gathering dust and I would start a save on that.

I hope I'm able to get into FM14. I never really clicked with 13 at all, couldn't get things right tactically and just didn't have a save take my fancy.

Same.

I'm not getting FM14 until the final patch though. Never going to do that mistake again.

First ever club? Inter Milan on CM Italia (as they still had Bergkamp)

Throughout the years I've been Stevenage (CM01/02), Kristiansund BK (CM02/03), West Ham (CM03/04), Stevenage (FM05), Paris FC 2000 (FM07), Hamburg (FM08), Empoli (FM09), Sparta Rotterdam (FM10), Leiria (FM11) & Santarcangelo (FM12)

I know I'm a couple of months late with this, but my first club was Portsmouth on Championship Manager 93/94. I also remember my first ever star player, who was a Hungarian regen striker called Edgar Poderis. That being said, I was more of a Premier Manager fan at the time, and that didn't change until CM 99/00.... which was just perfection!

I've already got a nice idea for my FM14 save (I'm sure I had two but forgot the other one...) and whilst I completely agree with cynical Crouchy about the 1000 updates, I'll get it on release day regardless. My hope is that after the farce of the bug-ridden FM13 launch, 14 will be decent to go straight out of the box. IIRC, the same thing happened with FM09 - the first with the 3d engine, and FM10 was fine straight off. Given that most of the bugs this time around we're also ME based, I imagine it'll be fine now that 13.3 has sorted most of them.

Or maybe I'm just trying to convince myself... :p

P.s. congrats Crouchy!

I know I'm a couple of months late with this, but my first club was Portsmouth on Championship Manager 93/94. I also remember my first ever star player, who was a Hungarian regen striker called Edgar Poderis. That being said, I was more of a Premier Manager fan at the time, and that didn't change until CM 99/00.... which was just perfection!

I remember playing my first game round a friend's house as Kidderminster Harriers on what might have been Championship Manager 93/94, although I didn't really get into the series until CM 99/00 (had to look at the boxes to see which one I remembered!). I was a sucker for Premier Manager (on the playstation) & Ultimate Soccer Manager before I 'got' the more realistic simulation that was CM.

I totally understand the frustration with FM13, I had many of the same problems people are describing with FM12.

Fortunately, I've loved FM13, largely because I've spent my entire FM13 time away from the bigger leagues, and although I've experienced a few of the bugs and errors, I've managed to perservere.

I've promised Mrs Withnail I won't buy the new one as there's still plenty of life left in this one for me. Also, like Crouchy I wouldn't have much time for the new one either as we're expecting our first child in January. That might bring my career to a natural conclusion, but I can't wait for him or her to arrive!

Congrats to both of you. There seem to be a lot of babies/babies to be among people I know recently, but then again I guess I've got to that stage in life (mid-20s) where people are far more likely to get married and/or start families.

Archived