Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the new game being released tomorrow I'm expecting quite a few new threads starting soon. Rather than us all putting [FM10] at the start of our titles, would people prefer it if I just add [FM09] to the start of all the old thread titles?

Hi guys,

I'm intending to spend most of my FM10 time here once my copy of the game arrives. Still debating which leagues to run... I was thinking either at least one on each continent or running leagues where English/British managers have had some success (e.g. Spain, Portugal, Italy, Holland, Turkey, Scandanavia and a few Asian ones). The only problem is I wouldn't be able to include South American leagues (unless there's an English manager I don't know about...) and I would like to go back there..

Hi guys,

I'm intending to spend most of my FM10 time here once my copy of the game arrives. Still debating which leagues to run... I was thinking either at least one on each continent or running leagues where English/British managers have had some success (e.g. Spain, Portugal, Italy, Holland, Turkey, Scandanavia and a few Asian ones). The only problem is I wouldn't be able to include South American leagues (unless there's an English manager I don't know about...) and I would like to go back there..

Im sure there is, do some research ;)

Do you really need to tag the game version? Does it matter?

I think so, especially since the emphasis in this forum is the game rather than the write-ups.

The FM10 games will not be tagged, so as they are started they will replace the tagged threads on the front page.

I might have to join you here Dodgee - I don't think I will be able to afford the time to create a sign up etc and the one thing that sometimes puts me off the small to big club challenges is the limitation of just 1 country's league, so I think my progress will be documented here.

Hopefully by the time I have the game on Tuesday some whizz kid has already processed the lower leagues of Italian Football, so I can begin on Mark 2 of The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro! :)

I might have to join you here Dodgee - I don't think I will be able to afford the time to create a sign up etc and the one thing that sometimes puts me off the small to big club challenges is the limitation of just 1 country's league' date=' so I think my progress will be documented here.

Hopefully by the time I have the game on Tuesday some whizz kid has already processed the lower leagues of Italian Football, so I can begin on Mark 2 of [i']The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro[/i]! :)

Look forward to following your progress here WW. :thup:

My last few major saves on FM have all ended up being small to big club challenges and I haven't really had a career at more than one club since FM06 so it's about time! For now though, I'm waiting for my game to show up (stupid Turkish shopping website said they'd have it on UK release day and the shops wouldn't - turns out the reverse was true :mad:) and trying to decide which leagues to run. Right now, I'm leaning towards England, Spain and Turkey witj a few South American and Asian leagues thrown in as well.

Rule 5 seems a bit odd, as we would like to put in a good word for nice updates (thereby KUTGW).

It is just to prevent people 'spamming'. To be honest, as long as people are not overdoing it no one is going to complain about the odd word of encouragement, although it is better to make comments that generate discussion, like adding a question.

I thought I could remember Hopey or Purefun posting in here about countries they've included on their save, but after going through the 5 pages I'm obviously mistaken - it must be somewhere else!

The post was interesting because whoever it was talked about including countries around the one you manage in because it can be easier to get players loaned.

Does anyone remember this, or have views on it/do something similar?

I'll be starting my save over the weekend, and I'll be posting it here - I was just wanting to re-read this post.

My advice (assuming you're starting in England like I do) is to also load all the other big nations. This ensures lots of good newgens as the game goes on, which stops you from signing all the best players in the world and making the game too easy.

I'm currently running all leagues from Argentina, Brazil, England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain, on a large database. It also stops England from dominating internationally as the game goes on. I've added Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Ireland to that list before, which helps when you're in the lower leagues as there are more players to choose from closer to home. It doensn't make any difference once you work your way up to a big club though, so I left them out this time as I don't have any intention of managing in any of those countries.

My advice (assuming you're starting in England like I do) is to also load all the other big nations. This ensures lots of good newgens as the game goes on, which stops you from signing all the best players in the world and making the game too easy.

I'm definately loading the big nations top leagues. And about 50 DDTs for the topl leagues of countries, to help with regens.

I've added Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Ireland to that list before, which helps when you're in the lower leagues as there are more players to choose from closer to home. It doensn't make any difference once you work your way up to a big club though, so I left them out this time as I don't have any intention of managing in any of those countries.

This is something to consider, which I'm not sure of. When you're in lower leagues, you may only be allowed to scout your border countries; but as you say, any of those lower leagues become redundant later on - unless you can loan players to them. I'm undecided on this.

Going to start up a new game for report in the next few days but wanted to ask the community a question first.

Shall I include a player career like I did in my last save "A Tale Of Two Saxons" or just focus on the managerial career?

Also names for the thread title welcomed, the one chosen shall recive a prize..

Going to start up a new game for report in the next few days but wanted to ask the community a question first.

Shall I include a player career like I did in my last save "A Tale Of Two Saxons" or just focus on the managerial career?

Also names for the thread title welcomed, the one chosen shall recive a prize..

I prefer manager tales but its up to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Christ! This German 4th division is tough. I'm not even putting my name on my office door this time. I was insecure in October! I've turned it around a little for the moment. I've got a media prediction of 4th - the 3 teams favoured in front of me are considerably better, but then there's about another 5 just as good as me!

Playing quite well this time, with my usual 433 - just lacking a goal or two as usual. Finances are very healthy this time too. So I'll be gutted if I end up getting sacked again.

I'm not opening another thread though, just in case :(

33 played, 13 to go. Hanging on to the last play-off slot - 7th! Even if we make the play-offs we'll struggle to go up, as the top 3 teams are class apart from us and one of them will be in those matches. But I'd be happy with the seasons performance if we could make it to those games. Even though we've got a media prediction of 4th I think I'd keep my job too :thup: (and that would let me start a thread!!)

EDIT: my scouts found a player with a 9 letter name, only 1 of them a vowel!! LOL. Czyszczon - beat that :eek:

This forum is really dead, we need to advertise it round the forums just like CSE did with a sticky at the top promoting their monthly challenges.

Those weren't adverts, they were supposed to be challenges that brought various forums together. Not that they got that much interest :(

I think people are already aware of this forum, it has been publicised in GD quite a bit and we have already had a few people over from FMS and LLM. I just think that it will only appeal to a smallish number of people (a bit like the two aforementioned forums) so will always have a relatively small number of visitors.

And also no heated arguments/whinings/'it's your tactics' stuff unlike that GD place. :p

As soon as I look at GD I ask myself why I've done it - I just feel like opening up with a machine gun, or lobbying parliament for sterilisation. Is this normal behaviour? Or should I really seek counselling?

As soon as I look at GD I ask myself why I've done it - I just feel like opening up with a machine gun, or lobbying parliament for sterilisation. Is this normal behaviour? Or should I really seek counselling?

Normal behaviour if you ask me, I only look at (most) threads in there for a good laugh!

Anyway, I've been internet-less for a couple of months now, but moving tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to start writing up my Scandinavian career on FM10 soon.

Glad to see the community is still going well on here, and there are a number of interesting games going on from what I can see :thup:

Well Hi to you all I just really stumbled upon what goes on over here when I was looking at the Journeyman career thread. Took time to have a look and I am hooked and have even started a career thread to show my first ever Journeyman career.

So to you all thanks for all your efforts and I am going to spread the word of this forum to the members of a Clan game I jointly run and I might post a career thread showing what goes on with our managers over there but that might be alot of work so we will see.

Archived