I love FM

Strange topic of a thread but I've noticed lots of people seem to be complaining lately so thought I'd break it up

I've had every FM since 2009 and I've always loved playing it

It's frustrating when things aren't going your way and sometimes it's hard to get back on track

Instead of complaining about some sort of 'gamebreaking' error I spend a while looking at the tactic forums and youtube videos to further my understanding of the game

Yes some things are a bit tedious like press conferences and player interaction but on the whole I think SI always come through with a fantastic game

Unless something drastically changes I can't imagine a time when I wouldn't pre order the next edition of FM, then play it to death of course

Probably pointless drivel, but I feel the staff and mods on here could do with a break from having to argue with unhappy FM'ers:lol:

14 minutes ago, Joef599 said:

Strange topic of a thread but I've noticed lots of people seem to be complaining lately so thought I'd break it up

I've had every FM since 2009 and I've always loved playing it

It's frustrating when things aren't going your way and sometimes it's hard to get back on track

Instead of complaining about some sort of 'gamebreaking' error I spend a while looking at the tactic forums and youtube videos to further my understanding of the game

Yes some things are a bit tedious like press conferences and player interaction but on the whole I think SI always come through with a fantastic game

Unless something drastically changes I can't imagine a time when I wouldn't pre order the next edition of FM, then play it to death of course

Probably pointless drivel, but I feel the staff and mods on here could do with a break from having to argue with unhappy FM'ers:lol:

Well said.

I too am loving the game. These long shots everyone is going on about, Im not noticing it. Every now and again yea, but not as often as people are making out. Anyway, FM18 is great.

Some positives for a change.

There has been a lot of negatives about 18, and me too, I have not experience this either. I do like 18 and I think its a good game, my only issue is with the freezing screen at the beginning of the season. 

I can't say I've noticed too many long shots either

Compared to a series like COD which has completely gone off the rails for me FM still delivers every time

FM is easily my favourite game that I always find myself going back to

I had typed a really long reply in the ME Loophole thread but yeah, short version, I've played CM/FM from the start. Before that I played every sports management sim I could get my hands on dating back to my trusty old Commodore VIC20 and for me, in terms of a football management sim, FM is by far and away the best.

Sure it has it's flaws. Yes there are 'exploits' whether they be super tactics, external editors and scouting tools or the in game editor and unlockables. People can either choose to use these or not. They pay their money to SI every year and can play the game how they see fit. But yeah, for me, the best management sim around.

this is maybe not a popular opinion but I really like FM18 ME
even though I don't like the new  scouting and new match UI but FM 18 still great

is really nice to see some positive in forum for a changes

I read this forum a lot but don't post much. I've had every FM since the first one in 2005 and most of the CM's before that. Yeah, sometimes I get annoyed with the results when I lose 1-0 even though I had 20 attempts to their 1 and yeah sometimes I rage quit and yeah once I broke a laptop because of it (I've worked on my issues since then just FYI!) but I'll still buy it and clock of a load of hours on it every single year because the positives far outweigh any negatives and the hours of enjoyment you get for thirty quid or so is damn worth it!

How about a "thank you SI" hashtag?

The game, as always, has me hooked. 

I think that after you find a way to provide longevity to your save, it becomes far more enjoyable.

I like to start with tiny clubs and give myself a 20-30 season plan. 

Within 10 seasons - Get my club to the Premier League.

Within 15 seasons - Find stability within the Premier League.

Within 20 seasons - Become established within European competition.

Within 30 seasons - Become a 5 star club.

At the moment I'm in season 11 with Great Yarmouth Town and we've just made it to the Premier League.

It's good to have longevity. Because the game becomes far more interesting when all of the well known players have retired and you''re left with a game full of New Gens. 

I think there's a HUGE misconception about the feelings many of us have for FM...

We tend to be negative and merciless because, guess what, we all LOVE this frustrating, bloated, inconsistent mess of a game! :D

All the "hate" stems from our desire for it to be better, to be even closer to what we expect of it. It's like the teacher who is harsher to the students he knows can do more but are lazy or careless.

Frankly, hadn't we loved FM so much, we'd have given up on it a looooooooooooooooooooong time ago instead of stubbornly reporting bugs, debating features and discussing about all the minutiae that make the game both amazing and infuriating.

16 minutes ago, RBKalle said:

I think there's a HUGE misconception about the feelings many of us have for FM...

We tend to be negative and merciless because, guess what, we all LOVE this frustrating, bloated, inconsistent mess of a game! :D

All the "hate" stems from our desire for it to be better, to be even closer to what we expect of it. It's like the teacher who is harsher to the students he knows can do more but are lazy or careless.

Frankly, hadn't we loved FM so much, we'd have given up on it a looooooooooooooooooooong time ago instead of stubbornly reporting bugs, debating features and discussing about all the minutiae that make the game both amazing and infuriating.

To be fair there is also A LOT of "This game sucks and everyone who works on it are lazy and useless" and it might be nice for those to read something else once in a while :) 

There's five opposing groups

Super Positive - Game is amazing and anyone who thinks otherwise is lying
Positive - Enjoy the game in spite of any issues they see hear about
Neutral - Alan Partridge Shrug gif
Negative - Don't enjoy the game, and put valid criticisms of the game out
Super Negative - Game is dreadful and anyone who thinks otherwise is lying

The two extremes are loud minorities, with most people falling in the middle 3.  The vast majority of those numbers too likely don't even know this place exists.

54 minutes ago, RBKalle said:

This.

If we aren't criticising, who's going to help the game forward? It's not like there's viable competition out there.

I've played the series since a friend of my brother's, gave me a CM97/98 CD, knowing I'm a big football fan. 

The amount of development, specially since I'm able to see it firsthand in the last 4-5 years, is staggering... though I expect we'll always have something to moan about :D

11 minutes ago, ParanoidBuddha said:

I like the game but they shouldn't release everytime games full of bugs. Before 2-3 months is almost impossible to play without some kind of problem or at least I haven't been able

Do you really think it's that simple?

1 hour ago, RBKalle said:

All the "hate" stems from our desire for it to be better, to be even closer to what we expect of it.

Plus what "we" expect of it can be worlds apart. :D Which will continue to be the case for as long as this game is sold to "general football fans". That's been pretty broad an audience back in 93 already. It's not gotten any less "fuzzy" since, as the appeal and draw of football ever since has pretty much exploded.

It's always been like that - since the days I got games on floppy disk from the cover of magazines! The games would be full of bugs, and you could write a letter to the companies explaining what's not working. You would then wait about 6 months - 12 months and buy every copy of the same magazine until eventually you got the magazine with the patch for the game!

The only thing different nowadays is the patches are delivered by an online platform - nothing in terms of releasing games has changed. It's impossible to release a game without some sort of glitchy/buggy behaviour. 

2 minutes ago, Smurf said:

It's always been like that - since the days I got games on floppy disk from the cover of magazines! The games would be full of bugs, and you could write a letter to the companies explaining what's not working. You would then wait about 6 months - 12 months and buy every copy of the same magazine until eventually you got the magazine with the patch for the game!

The only thing different nowadays is the patches are delivered by an online platform - nothing in terms of releasing games has changed. It's impossible to release a game without some sort of glitchy/buggy behaviour. 

Actually I go a bit further back! The times when I got the code for the game in a magazine and had to type the code out myself, save it to tape and then load it - then wait a few months for new code to be written and distributed to update the games.

Sometimes it could take over 30 minutes to load the game, and sometimes crash right at the end of loading!!! DOH then have to back through the code to find the faults, resave it to tape, then reload for another 30 minutes (or sometimes an hour if you had to flip the tape!)

Those were the days. 

People are quite impatient these days, I blame the parents and the internet! 

13 minuti fa, Svenc ha scritto:

Plus what "we" expect of it can be worlds apart. :D Which will continue to be the case for as long as this game is sold to "general football fans". That's been pretty broad an audience back in 93 already. It's not gotten any less "fuzzy" since, as the appeal and draw of football ever since has pretty much exploded.

But in 93 the game was so simple (simplistic) that any kid with a vague knowledge of football could give it a try and, likely, do just fine.

I think the franchise has since grown enough to exclude almost by default any "general football fan" not dedicated (obsessive-compulsive?) enough to stomach all the intricacies of the ever-expanding game.
For all the jokes about some people playing FM like "Press Spacebar to Win", in the good ol' day, it was much more like the case, to an extent that is now unimaginable.

Even the laziest FM'er today must have an enormous input compared to, say, CM3...

So I quite disagree that the game is still sold to the biggest possible audience. It being a management game already cuts off a hefty portion of the fanbase (compare FIFA's sales figures with FM's), and not every gamer who is a football fan has enough time, patience or desire to put himself through such a demanding game.

At the moment, the biggest divide in the FM playing base is between the "insiders" and the "outsiders", those who are so familiar with the game's inner workings they can circumvent or at least accept and limit all the game's quirks, and those who feel all of that shouldn't be part of the "fun" and that the goal should be playing the game, not playing the ME and the various idiosyncrasies of the gameworld.

55 minutes ago, RBKalle said:

At the moment, the biggest divide in the FM playing base is between the "insiders" and the "outsiders", those who are so familiar with the game's inner workings they can circumvent or at least accept and limit all the game's quirks, and those who feel all of that shouldn't be part of the "fun" and that the goal should be playing the game, not playing the ME and the various idiosyncrasies of the gameworld.

There's elements of that too, but there seems to be a confusion or disagreement what is game idiosyncrasy and what isn't -- from both camps. Some of that will always, always exist, and you know why? Because a big part of football is subjective, and there will always be a disagreement over how much control a manager really has. I think it's a good point that older CMs weren't quite as demanding. Curiously, if you take a loook into the preview of this book and scroll down to the "User Guide" published with Champ Man Zero, so to speak, the aim has always been something a bit more fleshed out. To an extent, that user guide could still ship with any current release -- even the concept of player roles is already in there. :D This extents further than just perceived game flaws. It's about entire feature sets an design focus. See also the demands of how the game should include dealing with stadium expansions, fan shops, finances, when that's never been part of the game. Then there's a whole portion of the player base who never much cared about the match day experience (aside of it providing some neat goals, perhaps), even though that has been a core part of the game since day one.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my original post

I wasn't suggesting we accept whatever SI put out, far from it

I enjoy reading debate about certain features and how other users think they could be improved

My original point was mainly aimed at the 'super negative' who seem to bash the game due to their own shortcomings

Anything can be improved but for the amount of hours everyone puts into FM I'd say SI are doing a great job

What I really love about FM is the developing of youth prospects and the match engine. A lot of other things as media handling and fake twitter accounts I could do without,

but then again all you really need to do is to let your assistant take care of that.

Great game, always has been as well. FM is a lifelong obsession.

Archived