He's 15, worth £12m but can he even walk?

I've had one of the most nutty regens come through my youth system at City and he has some rather odd stats.  Despite his high passing/vision/technique he has flair of only 2 and he's also the most one footed player i've ever come across.

Can flair increase or is it set in stone?  I've getting players to develop their weaker foot in previous saves but despite it being reported that the player has succeeded in doing so and gaining that PPM i've never actually seen their weaker foot rating increase.

What would you do with this guy?

snip_20180321131631.jpg

3 minutes ago, ^Goose^ said:

I've had one of the most nutty regens come through my youth system at City and he has some rather odd stats.  Despite his high passing/vision/technique he has flair of only 2 and he's also the most one footed player i've ever come across.

Can flair increase or is it set in stone?  I've getting players to develop their weaker foot in previous saves but despite it being reported that the player has succeeded in doing so and gaining that PPM i've never actually seen their weaker foot rating increase.

What would you do with this guy?

snip_20180321131631.jpg

Flair can increase and is part of some role training, although from a starting point of 2 I wouldn't expect to see him end up with a very high rating here.

As far as the PPM goes it doesn't actually increase the effectiveness of the weaker foot.  Once a player has successfully finished learning the PPM it gives him the ability from that point to start developing his weaker foot over a (long) period of time.

What would I do with the guy?  Pretty much anything - fullback, raumdeuter, striker, playmaker, winger, inside forward.  He's only 15 so the world's your oyster.  I'd get him tutored asap though.

18 minutes ago, ^Goose^ said:

What would you do with this guy

i would work on that natural fitness and strength before worrying too much about anything else, maybe as a bwm or something that could toughen him up? natural fitness is especially hard to develop imo, so that would be a permanent individual training schedule for his first season in my team

other than that yeah, pretty well balanced to do what you want with him :)

1 minute ago, MBarbaric said:

doesn't that automatically improve with age along with other physical attributes?

not that i know of? never noticed it myself at least

even if it does, i would still train it to improve quicker and more. i can tolerate a jump below 10, but anything else no. and natural fitness of 6 tells me a player isnt fit enough to call themselves an athlete!

3 minuti fa, lemeuresnew ha scritto:

not that i know of? never noticed it myself at least

even if it does, i would still train it to improve quicker and more. i can tolerate a jump below 10, but anything else no. and natural fitness of 6 tells me a player isnt fit enough to call themselves an athlete!

neither do I :D I was just under an impression that, for young players, they are still developing up till 18-21 so physical attributes would go up naturally. would be nice if somebody with more knowledge could explain this.

1 minute ago, MBarbaric said:

neither do I :D I was just under an impression that, for young players, they are still developing up till 18-21 so physical attributes would go up naturally. would be nice if somebody with more knowledge could explain this.

it definitely wouldnt go up enough naturally for me liking, and as it doesnt require much if any CA points is an ideal way to let him develop the rest of his game naturally

i didnt mean to side track the thread, sorry @^Goose^. do you have a tutor in mind yet, or waiting to decide what position and role you want to give him first?

21 minutes ago, lemeuresnew said:

it definitely wouldnt go up enough naturally for me liking, and as it doesnt require much if any CA points is an ideal way to let him develop the rest of his game naturally

i didnt mean to side track the thread, sorry @^Goose^. do you have a tutor in mind yet, or waiting to decide what position and role you want to give him first?

At the moment the only available tutor is Delph so i'm just gonna use him to get his determination up a few points.

Would you guys agree that it's kind of unrealistic that a player like this would have such low flair?

1 hour ago, ^Goose^ said:

At the moment the only available tutor is Delph so i'm just gonna use him to get his determination up a few points.

Would you guys agree that it's kind of unrealistic that a player like this would have such low flair?

yeah, probably. though if he wasnt so quick i would suggest he was the next Jan Molby. he never ran anywhere, and would pass the ball around the entire pitch seemingly from the center spot with  a no nonsense, no flair at all swagger lol

is it only Delph because the others are tutoring already? i have heard kids react better if they are built up slowly tutor wise this year, so the best model pro isnt always the best first tutor. havent played enough this year to know for sure, but something else to consider maybe

• SI Staff

Flair is essentially a player's likeliness to 'take risks'. So it's possible for a player to be more conservative i.e. less likely to dribble or try speculative shots but still be an effective playmaker.

That player looks nuts so he's definitely worth sticking with! :D

Edit: To clarify, think of a more 'predictable' playmaker, rather than one that can be prone to doing something that no one expects. Predictable doesn't always mean bad!

Well i have to say im thoroughly confused.  

A season and half later and i've struggled to develop this player, he's probably only added a couple of points to his stats.  I decided to use the in-game editor to see if there was something amiss and it turns out he only as a PA of 133?!  It seems rather odd to me that a regen like this would have such a low PA.

12 minutes ago, ^Goose^ said:

Well i have to say im thoroughly confused.  

A season and half later and i've struggled to develop this player, he's probably only added a couple of points to his stats.  I decided to use the in-game editor to see if there was something amiss and it turns out he only as a PA of 133?!  It seems rather odd to me that a regen like this would have such a low PA.

Three possible explanations:

1) The star ratings for potential in young players is not a reflection of their PA.

It's your coach looking at his actual ability in relation to other young players and saying "wow, this kid looks good must have bags of potential" and rating him accordingly.  Of course if he doesn't actually have the PA to go with that assessment then he won't ultimately develop as first thought and you'll eventually see his star rating for potential drop accordingly.  Plenty of real life young players who looked fantastic for their age but never really made it long term so this is FM's way of simulating that.

2) In extremely rare circumstances a serious injury can cause a PA drop.  So rare that I've never seen it happen and not sure it's even in the game any more.

3) If you are using an unsupported 3rd party app to view his PA it's not exactly unheard of for those apps to cause problems.

It seems this year that I've had a few newgens who have been massively overrated and don't come on as wonderkids, then it turns out the coaches were just misjudging them, as when they get to 20-21 it becomes apparent they are not cut out for it even though they were highly rated as regens and worth loads. Usually a good way of telling is when they have rubbish technical attributes such as passing o, first touch or flair, I'm always suspicious of any newgens who are rated above 4 stars but aren't technically proficient.

On 26/03/2018 at 12:31, herne79 said:

Three possible explanations:

1) The star ratings for potential in young players is not a reflection of their PA.

It's your coach looking at his actual ability in relation to other young players and saying "wow, this kid looks good must have bags of potential" and rating him accordingly.  Of course if he doesn't actually have the PA to go with that assessment then he won't ultimately develop as first thought and you'll eventually see his star rating for potential drop accordingly.  Plenty of real life young players who looked fantastic for their age but never really made it long term so this is FM's way of simulating that.

2) In extremely rare circumstances a serious injury can cause a PA drop.  So rare that I've never seen it happen and not sure it's even in the game any more.

3) If you are using an unsupported 3rd party app to view his PA it's not exactly unheard of for those apps to cause problems.

I had a 16yo left back rated 5* potential before he broke his leg. Physical stats and bravery seemed to take a huge dip (I don't have a screenshot of what he was like before and don't know if I can check), and 12 months later he's now at 3* potential. 

Don't use the editor so don't know if his PA has actually dropped

With respect to flair, I've seen coach report blurbs that talk about the player's creativity and ability to get open being good/bad with high or low flair. So I imagine it's largely around being able to do really creative, unpredictable things (probably undermining an opponents anticipation).

That said, if you have an excellent athlete with great technical skills and good mentals otherwise, you can still have one of those "everyone knows what the player is going to do... it's just no one is going to be able to stop it" types of situations so I wouldn't get too worked up about it. It's the explanation for why that slow player can sometimes get wide open despite being defended because they have high flair type of thing.

One match engine observation I have noticed is that players with higher flair are also more likely to try no look passes and whatnot.

As for star ratings, sometimes coaches (even ones with JP 20) are going to make mistakes. That's just the way it goes.

Archived