Can't get a career going

Well, if you get sacked, you're obviously not doing a great job. No offense. Maybe take a break, and when or if you decide to come back, try to develop a tactic and maintain it. Watch the games, at least the first 15 mins (Read up on Cleon's stuff). His tips has helped me improve a lot. I'm still a noob I feel, but plug and play - tactics just got really boring for me. When I'm developing my tactic, watching games to find out what's wrong when or if I'm losing makes the game a lot more fun than just playing the game with no thoughts to tactics etc. Develop young players, right training etc. Be invested in the game, instead of plug and play tactics and not bothering too much with training etc. 

I've never had 10 seasons in a save, but 2-3 season usually per save - but I spend more time per season I guess - but I also don't have too much time to play and I love playing other games too. But those are my tips. Got a save going with Blackburn now, 14 games played, 13 wins, 1 draw with Cleon's 3-5-2 tactic - and then I adjust thing's when I need to during games. Just love english football and english teams to much to play in other countries. You might enjoy something else, find an interesting team is also a huge part for me. I like clubs that have a great history, but not performing as of late. Leeds, Blackburn, Charlton, Millwall etc in championship

I prefer to try the standard 4-4-2 first and then tinker if it's not performing during the match. Maybe I indeed should be more of a control freak, not like that Dictator and the Hammer CU but close to it. Perhaps my slow laptop also affects the fun I have because it takes a while to load stuff sometimes, too.

I have the same problem. Can't get anything going since I moved over from plug & play to developing my own tactics. Had several saves which resulted in frustration, stress and clueless..ness? Having a 1-month break and hoping that I will return with fresh ideas and energy. 

On 22/03/2018 at 14:01, mark1985 said:

What works for me is finding something you connect with irl. A game you've watched on tv, a place you've been oh holiday, a history documentary about a specific country or town. Find a story and start there. Here are some ideas I have

• Parma - bring them back to the big leagues
  • Dynamo Berlin - dominated East German football but now in the fourth tier in a rubbish ground near a historical part of the Wall
  • Andorra/Gibraltar/Liechtenstein challenge
  • Small team in a big city - Maybe even next door to one of Europes biggest clubs. Red Star Paris, Sant Andreu in Barcelona etc
  • Homegrown saves - Can be linked to above but can be done anywhere. Bringing 1860 Munich back from being skint in the 4th tier using only Bavarian players to knock Bayern off their perch. Sant Andreu using only Catalans. Tranmere using only players from Merseyside/Lancashire etc etc
  • Melilla - in the Spanish 4th tier but actually from a Spanish football enclave in Morocco

I had FC Union Berlin (10 years there and enjoyed it so much)  big rivals of Dynamo Berlin. 
Like the African side in Spain as well.. that might be next option. 

I try to find a real-life hook into a club, then it inspires me to play as a team. An interesting story about the fan base, the club or something similar that gets me interested in them! 

2 minutes ago, t-zolla said:

I had FC Union Berlin (10 years there and enjoyed it so much)  big rivals of Dynamo Berlin. 
Like the African side in Spain as well.. that might be next option. 

I try to find a real-life hook into a club, then it inspires me to play as a team. An interesting story about the fan base, the club or something similar that gets me interested in them! 

I had a really good save with Union Berlin a few years back and loved it. Yes, it's usually better if there is something irl that makes you interested in the club

It's okay to not like it/want to play

we play games to have fun, if your not finding the fun, don't play for a while

if you cant get the motivation to play a 'career', just run through a couple of seasons with a club that presents some sort of challenge

a team just promoted to lowest playable league - get them promoted as many times as possible in 5 seasons

a team just promoted to highest playable league - qualify for Euro's

Herne's Poacher Challenge

stuff like that

a career doesn't have to be at just 1 club

getting sacked needn't be the end of a save

Whenever I get frustrated at not winning every game and being fairly successful I tend to turn it into a little story and laugh at how bad my manager must appear to be, if you get sacked just take another job potentially at a lower level and build yourself up from there. If you find you're just getting bored whichever save you load up you probably need a break and time to think of what you really want  to do - your suggestion of TNS was a good shout based on my past experience, it's a really easy domestic league but its a decent challenge strengthening for a European campaign. 

A tactic i've come up with if I end up getting FMT Switch or simply another FM when we have a better computer is to simply load my favorite competitions (Benelux, England and Scotland) and then click 'pick a team for me' a few times. Being on familiar could prove helpful. For now though, i'm happy to announce I survived my first season as a manager in Micronesia. Only with 43% confidence but I feel somewhat motivated to do better. I'll keep you updated if I do end up deleting this save too, though I think playing in the very worst leagues and then slowly get more reputation over time at the most obscure a club in really short seasons is the best solution for now, seeing as being sacked doesn't mean much in let's say the Northern Marina Islands.

I've stopped doing football management game "careers" about fifteen years ago. Back then I had a game installed in which I had basically kept a save on my hd for three years running (playing on and off). And played that until "retirement". That was sort the last word on the matter. Not ruling it out that I'd ever do it again, but the career progress stories you find on management games forums too tend to act as a reminder me why I'm not doing that anymore, let's leave it at that.

Actually playing this is generally a very on off thing -- months up to half a year and longer of nothing followed by bursts of playing. Ever since, it's more about short- to midterm projects,  testing ideas, which oft sparks the interest again to start another save. Can be anything from trying to not getting thrashed as Luxembourg imanager, testing the general pub talk (what if x and y where playing at z, would that really work?). Can also involve heavy editing and altogether different adventures though. Like bringing all the Ribery brothers back to Bolougne, shocking Norwegian lower league football by focusing 100% on pumping the ball to 2m+ forwards who enjoy seasonal header completion rates of 70-80% on their not very competitive level, or, as an oldie I still have a screenshot of, this. (Even more fun if you manage in leagues where the booking rules are hella strict).

tl787XB.png

Football isn't purely about results, and despite all limitations, FM luckily supports that some. Else things can get fairly routine quickly. If I ever run out of ideas that the game supports, that may be the day when I retire too.

On 9.4.2018 at 15:17, Rooks said:

Can't get anything going since I moved over from plug & play to developing my own tactics.

99.9% of the so called "plug and play tactics" are intentionally or unintentionally exploiting engine and AI flaws. E.g. they score the same goals as they are barely defended over and over, no matter much the players, the opposition, whatever else is going on. Unless you aim to do the same, no dice.

3 hours ago, Svenc said:

The term "plug and play" is mostly very much misleading. I have yet to see barely a single supposedly "plug and play" tactic that doesn't simply aim to smash the match engine or AI to smithereens. And that's what they do. Have always. Scoring the same badly defended goals over and over, up to the point that no much matter your players or anything, you can enjoy like an average of 40-100% higher shot conversion, which is something unheard of in football. Tactical decisions shift the odds a few. Never do they ever give teams decisively edges to such degrees (which as a slight hint, doesn't tend to happen between AI managers also). Pluntly put, it's cheat tactics that draw 99% of the game bust. That is still all fine, but is an important distinction to make, as no matter what you do now, including hiring the best assistant taking over, you may not quite approach anything like it. Your saves will also play out very differently, as due to the exploits, many matches never were close. If that's all you've ever played like, it's like experiencing an altogether different game, starting all over completely from scratch, which is the damage done. "Plug and play" is a misnomer, has always been. If that's what you like, by all means go back to it (I'd still prefer the editor). But I wish this was made more explicit on these forums also.

I know started to manage my boyhood club (FC Utrecht, Netherlands) with the same formation and tactic of the 12/13 season where we got a record of most points in a season. Simple 4-4-2 diamond and for now I'm enjoining the save. Notable victories conclude a 8-0 aggregate win in the 2nd round of Europa League qualifications and a 7-0 home victory against AA Gent. 

Knipsel.thumb.PNG.f07e33657b38b6246bafc3e9c7be72fa.PNG

Explain this. Completely exhausted from the vague hope this game and your advices keep giving me, only for it to instantly crumble. I sadly am too addicted to this game to stop, but i'm THIS close to deleting this game from my mind. Title candidates? Well, old Minuy here will DESTROY EVERYTHING.

Note that this also happened on FIFA! I didn't have the difficulty up to anything high but yet I finished 15th with Feyenoord. Sold my Xbox One afterwards, which is a big shame.

EDIT: Lost 3-1 right after that AFTER FOLLOWING THE ASSISTANT'S ADVICES WHICH WERE SUPPOSED TO HELP ME WIN THE TITLE! I'm getting somewhat agressive from this game now, but how do I stay away from this hellhole? Or how do I start not being the VERY WORST manager EVER?

Admit to yourself that may not be the greatest player the FM world has ever seen, and that there's nothing wrong with it. Manage an actually decent team. Don't put up role/duty structures that makes you concede like 3 goals per match average (easy to avoid unless bad team). Pick the highest manager reputation at the start you can and neglect allocating points to the "Tracksuit Manager" side of things as it's mainly about training attributes and you can hire staff for training -- the mental attributes meanwhile can big time impact squad management (keeping a team motivated, keeping players happy, getting your way with the board). Screw the assistant (in particular his in-match feed bickerings)... or alternatively hire a decent one and let him take over (those feeds have little to do with how he manages at all).

Tons of ways to make this game easier. Pish easy even. There's even sort of a "game mode" where you don't have to do anything but pressing continue for complete fantasy results, one where opponents even with better players have not a chance to compete (the other way round what you posted), and players happily enjoy that too, see the download sections. Now the other way around, making the game harder, that takes some more creativity... 

Unfortunatly I also seem to perform badly with good teams. Oh well, I know now to mostly ignore the assistent then. 

Excuse me for my outburst yesterday, by the way, that was a bit excessive for a video game.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad to announce my performances are getting better with the second. I took a good look at tactics, making players adapt to them properly and playing on the counter to make sure I don't concede much. While attacking wise I still have quite a lot to do, I feel much more confident into starting something. What also does help is managing in my favorite countries because of obvious reasons like knowledge. I've yet to play for longer than a few in game months (one due to my way too big goals, one due to the game acting weirdly) but I know stuff's on the up.

Archived