Can't get a career going

I've honestly tried a lot of stuff. My favorite club, lower league stuff, the Megapack and starting in the very worst competition (the one I want to succeed at most), and top teams in general. It just never gets off the ground. Either I get sacked and my motivation gets crushed when an AI does it better without changing a thing, or the pre-seasons progress too slowly and get bored when the season does arrive, fearful of what's to come. This happens with both top and bottom teams.

Is there something that can get me better results or at least make the game more fun again? I'm getting more and more desperate to do it right.

(Note: I only have FM and FMT17)

Out of personal experience, if nothing really captures your interest, your best shot is just stop trying and leave the game be for a while.

One day, you'll get the itch again, out of nowhere. Or maybe not. But either way, you won't waste hours trying to find an "ideal" career that simply doesn't exist at the time.

BTW, if you're not ready or willing to take a break, then you can try a nation with a small, short league. The progression will be faster, and you won't have the mental burden of "41 games left in the season".
Actually I don't think I've managed for more than 2 seasons in leagues with more than 16 teams over the last 5 iterations of the game.

1 minuto fa, Minuy600 ha scritto:

A-League

If you mean Australia, I'd avoid it like the plague...

I'm currently managing there and the transfers/contracts rules are insane. It has taken me one week to go through the pre-season with all the nonsense about Designated players, no-same-league transfers etc...

If it's simplicity and straightforwardness you're after, the A-league is NOT the place for you ;)

Ā 

How do I do that? Do I just start the career right before the season starts?

EDIT: Oh yeah I already skip pre-season matches. Wish there was another way to speed up the start though.

Reading the first post... you said something very important..

Watching THE AI WIN WITHOUT MAKING ONE CHANGE.Ā 

Ā 

That is very key. I have noticed that since playing with the first window shut I have been far more successful so not making any signings ect.

1 minute ago, craigd84 said:

Reading the first post... you said something very important..

Watching THE AI WIN WITHOUT MAKING ONE CHANGE.Ā 

Ā 

That is very key. I have noticed that since playing with the first window shut I have been far more successful so not making any signings ect.

So do you mean I shouldn't make signings at first and just start when the season is just around the corner?

Just now, Minuy600 said:

So do you mean I shouldn't make signings at first and just start when the season is just around the corner?

Well...

Ā 

For me I start early pre season, I pick 3 formations with different mentalities sometimes the same mentalities, then IĀ set up all the prospects to tutors that I will be building my team around.Ā 

Plus I get my scouts out looking for young talent.Ā 

I then go about getting a few of the lads I know who I think will become the main players in two or three years.

Then I cancel almost all my friendlies that the AI set up then I set up one or two against big opposition then I set the rest against teams that are non league. So I know I will win 4 or 5 nil every game. This builds up moral and winning mentality.Ā 

I can normally waltz through a pre season in no time.

Okay, thank you for the tips. I thought searching for inmediate first team players would be the best, but guess it isn't.

For the time being, I think i'll be heading off to Israel. See if it's anything for me.

Cheers (again) everyone!

You could do what I did. Play FIFA to fillĀ the football fix and once you get two seasons into career mode and realise it's dogsh*t you'll soon realise you love FM too much to ever leave it again.

5 ore fa, Minuy600 ha scritto:

Sorry if this is not a good question, but what countries would you reccomend for a swift, fun, simple career mode? I prefer to do smaller countries.

I've had a lot of fun in the Faroese league, and I guess any other micronation around Europe would be an interesting challenge.

The domestic season is usually rather short, but there's then you can try to progress in European competitions. A longish but rewarding journey you can undertake with little pressure. Nobody on the board or among the fans will want you fired if you lost the Champions League 2nd QR to Celtic...

So I'd take a look at: San Marino, Gibraltar, Andorra, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg. Or some smaller Balkan or Eastern countries (Moldova, Kosovo, FYROM)

Then Baltic or Nordic nations are a tad more competitive, but still with not too much pressure. (BTW, avoid Denmark, as the Superligaen has a regular season and a Championship Round)

Ā 

Or you'd simply explore a continent you know little about... That'd be a fresh start as you won't likely be able to tell the Top Stars and the random players apart... A different approch from the usual LL thing in Europe, where you likely know all the bargains and the hot prospects for all levels

Well i'm in Israel already and so far so good, but if I do end up getting the Megapack again and do something new, i'd very much would love to do a career in an European country that hasn't gotten a lot of attention. Moldova, FYROM and Albania are high on my potential-next-careers list for sure.

Ā 

For now though I prefer to keep it to where I am now, I want some focus as that is what I lacked severly for a while.

Welp, i've tried for half a season and again i'm probably being sacked... What is going on to make me so terrible at the game? I seriously need a break from it even though I don't want to.

5 minutes ago, Minuy600 said:

Welp, i've tried for half a season and again i'm probably being sacked... What is going on to make me so terrible at the game? I seriously need a break from it even though I don't want to.

I don't think you need a break - I think you just need to use one of TFF's ME-exploiting, plug'n'play tactics. You definitely sound like someone like me, who loves the game, but either doesn't get the tactical part right or doesn't have time for it - either way, that is the way to go.Ā 

What works for me is finding something you connect with irl. A game you've watched on tv, a place you've been oh holiday, a history documentary about a specific country or town. Find a story and start there. Here are some ideas I have

• Parma - bring them back to the big leagues
  • Dynamo Berlin - dominated East German football but now in the fourth tier in a rubbish ground near a historical part of the Wall
  • Andorra/Gibraltar/Liechtenstein challenge
  • Small team in a big city - Maybe even next door to one of Europes biggest clubs. Red Star Paris, Sant Andreu in Barcelona etc
  • Homegrown saves -Ā Can be linked to above but can be done anywhere. Bringing 1860 Munich back from being skint in the 4th tier using only Bavarian players to knock Bayern off their perch. Sant Andreu using only Catalans. Tranmere using only players from Merseyside/Lancashire etc etc
  • Melilla - in the Spanish 4th tier but actually from a Spanish football enclave in Morocco

Ā 

I'm intrigued to do a challenge on something like one of the 'first CL qualifying round' countries or something like making Micronesia a better footballing country, but I notice I have quite a lot of strain from those weak results i've mentioned above. I'llĀ probably try the ME-exploit tactics if it doesn't make me win literally every match.

4 minutes ago, Minuy600 said:

I'm intrigued to do a challenge on something like one of the 'first CL qualifying round' countries or something like making Micronesia a better footballing country, but I notice I have quite a lot of strain from those weak results i've mentioned above. I'llĀ probably try the ME-exploit tactics if it doesn't make me win literally every match.

Those kind of saves are long and difficult. Once you win the league (or just choose the current champions like the Red Imps in Gibraltar) then you can dominate at domestic level due to the amount of money you get. But obviously doing anything in Europe is difficult but doable. If you're expecting to win every match, that's pretty unrealistic. Even when I was doing a Gibraltar save and winning the league every year, I wasn't winning every game domestically apart from the odd season. Once you build up the rep of the league, build up your facilities, have some good results in Europe (even making the second qualifying round or the playoff) then you can encourage better players, who can maybe get you to the group stages etc etc.

Ah. That sounds interesting.

Does that tactic that wins you games work on FM17 too? I don't have FM18. If it does, then i'd be keen on making a little database for myself for a tiny European country with a full league system, to make it even more interesting.

8 minutes ago, Minuy600 said:

Ah. That sounds interesting.

Does that tactic that wins you games work on FM17 too? I don't have FM18. If it does, then i'd be keen on making a little database for myself for a tiny European country with a full league system, to make it even more interesting.

I can't remember what tactic I used as it was quite a few saves ago on a different laptop, but it probably would have been FM16 as that's the latest version I have. I just look at the players I have and base my tactic around that. I'm notĀ  a tactically genius, so not the best guy to ask.

There are databases in the editors section which you can use or you can make your own.

10 ore fa, Minuy600 ha scritto:

Ā 

Maybe you're just picking the wrong teams, or aren't paying attention to some of the small, but important details in the game...

Honestly, it's really hard to do so poorly, as long as you don't overcomplicate things tactics-wise. Just go for a straightforward 4-4-2, or with whichever narrow formation worked better with FM17 (4-3-2-1, you can't go wrong with that in ANY FM) and you'd do fine enough to survive the first season.
Then the transfer market will open you plenty of chances to strengthen your squad and it'll get easier almost no matter what.

Then again, I'm still convinced it's because you're not found a career you really care about and are just going through the motions...

Ā 

P.S. If things get really awful earlier in your season (with a couple of poor results snowballing into a dreadfull losing streak), there's a solution...

RELOAD

10 hours ago, RBKalle said:

Ā 

Maybe you're just picking the wrong teams, or aren't paying attention to some of the small, but important details in the game...

Honestly, it's really hard to do so poorly, as long as you don't overcomplicate things tactics-wise. Just go for a straightforward 4-4-2, or with whichever narrow formation worked better with FM17 (4-3-2-1, you can't go wrong with that in ANY FM) and you'd do fine enough to survive the first season.
Then the transfer market will open you plenty of chances to strengthen your squad and it'll get easier almost no matter what.

Then again, I'm still convinced it's because you're not found a career you really care about and are just going through the motions...

Ā 

P.S. If things get really awful earlier in your season (with a couple of poor results snowballing into a dreadfull losing streak), there's a solution...

RELOAD

These tips came just a tiny bit too late i'm afraid. I'm using the exploit tactic right now and i'm doing very well so far with a weak team. You could consider that cheating, but having fun again is what counts, right?Ā 

I'll definetly keep it in mind for later though.

On 3/20/2018 at 18:52, Minuy600 said:

Sorry if this is not a good question, but what countries would you reccomend for a swift, fun, simple career mode? I prefer to do smaller countries.

If you're not having much fun, then maybe try doing a big club? I did Roma because of their history and Totti, and Dortmund as I wanted to topple Bayern. Not the best of the best, but interesting and challenging enough for me to have two long term saves with them, till 2032 and 2060.Ā  Choose a club you just like, for whatever reason. I do the top 5 league countriesĀ and then Argentina and Brazil because they have incredible regens.Ā 

Well, as I advised you to reaload in order to get better results, I'm obviously not overly worried about cheating anyway ;)

However, if you were struggling so badly, I don't think the Supertactic is the way to go (even though you're allowed to cut a few corners). It'd be better trying to get results with a regular tactic, only switching to the Exploit one only if you really really need to turn a game around or to win a specific, important, game.

As long as you win games by exploiting the ME's weaknesses, you're not going to get better at the game, meaning the moment FM19 is out, you're back to square one... Cheating is not bad per se, but it is when it doesn't help you to get better at the game.

Once my results are good enough to take risks, i'll try and use regular tactics and challenge myself to find one that works great. For now though, I prefer fun over getting better. Thanks for the advice.

(PS: I only have FM17 right now. Once I get a better computer i'll likely be getting the newest one and do what you said)

3 hours ago, RBKalle said:

Well, as I advised you to reaload in order to get better results, I'm obviously not overly worried about cheating anyway ;)

However, if you were struggling so badly, I don't think the Supertactic is the way to go (even though you're allowed to cut a few corners). It'd be better trying to get results with a regular tactic, only switching to the Exploit one only if you really really need to turn a game around or to win a specific, important, game.

As long as you win games by exploiting the ME's weaknesses, you're not going to get better at the game, meaning the moment FM19 is out, you're back to square one... Cheating is not bad per se, but it is when it doesn't help you to get better at the game.

About reloading to try out new tactics...

soundsgood.jpg

Ā 

For me it felt like complete random from one game to the next.

Ā 

As for your point of view on exploiting tactics, did you intentionally set your corner taker not to aim for the near post on previous installments (when that got you ton of goals)? The whole engine of FM can be too fluid even from patch to patch (not to mention from one installment to the next) and the lastest whirwind of tactical exploits shows that - crossing bonanza, then it was strikerless, afterwards narrow and now 3-upfront. More or less, every little thing you tick in the tactics screen can toggle an exploit - for example, close down more or specific man marking can start events that the AI can't handle.Ā 

Ā 

I don't want to look like a spoilsport about "playing honestly" but there are more ways to look at this - also, the FM19 engine will likely have sorted the 3-man forward exploit to open the door for a new one. In addition, often you will find that "regular" tactics that work on one FM will likely be complete bollocks on the next, so we're always back to square one :)

2 ore fa, Trent71 ha scritto:

About reloading to try out new tactics...

soundsgood.jpg

Ā 

For me it felt like complete random from one game to the next.

I never said he'd reload to try a new tactic... Only to try to get a better result.

And yes, the game is at times too random for that, but that wasn't the point of reloading. Sometimes all it takes is the wrong team-talk or one of the key players having one of the randomized "low CA" games (due to poor consistency, complacency, low Important Matches attribute etc).

Ā 

Ā 

As for your point of view on exploiting tactics, did you intentionally set your corner taker not to aim for the near post on previous installments (when that got you ton of goals)? The whole engine of FM can be too fluid even from patch to patch (not to mention from one installment to the next) and the lastest whirwind of tactical exploits shows that - crossing bonanza, then it was strikerless, afterwards narrow and now 3-upfront. More or less, every little thing you tick in the tactics screen can toggle an exploit - for example, close down more or specific man marking can start events that the AI can't handle.Ā 

Out of principle (and laziness), I NEVER touch the set-pieces routines exactly because I don't want to uncover some new exploit. So everything is on Default (or Mixed).

Again, when a player like the OP is struggling so badly, the best suggestion is starting with the most pedestrian and straightforward tactic. No extra PI, OI etc, and with as few TI as possible.

That way, he has fewer chances to overcomplicate things and to create conflicts and inbalances. Still, if a plain 4-4-2 still doesn't cut it for some reason, reloading is definitely the least objectionable way to try to achieve acceptable results.

Ā 

I don't want to look like a spoilsport about "playing honestly" but there are more ways to look at this - also, the FM19 engine will likely have sorted the 3-man forward exploit to open the door for a new one. In addition, often you will find that "regular" tactics that work on one FM will likely be complete bollocks on the next, so we're always back to square one :)

All the more reasons NOT to rely on exploit tactics, because when this particular "cheat" will be deactivated, one who has only played that way will be back to square one, unable to get a win with City over Barnsley...

Welp, 6 matches into my new job and I have won only one, and I had a particularly easy fixture list as a midfield team. Tried 4-4-2 with all kinds of new tactics, if not more. One more match this season against yet another weak team. If the 4-3-2-1 fails me now I feel seriously offended.

EDIT: 3-0 down by half time. I'm so done with this game but it keeps tagging me back. Cheating is not fun but doing this badly, even to the point of baffling other people, makes me go crazy. What do I do now after trying EVERYTHING you guys told me to?

9 ore fa, Minuy600 ha scritto:

Welp, 6 matches into my new job and I have won only one, and I had a particularly easy fixture list as a midfield team. Tried 4-4-2 with all kinds of new tactics, if not more. One more match this season against yet another weak team. If the 4-3-2-1 fails me now I feel seriously offended.

EDIT: 3-0 down by half time. I'm so done with this game but it keeps tagging me back. Cheating is not fun but doing this badly, even to the point of baffling other people, makes me go crazy. What do I do now after trying EVERYTHING you guys told me to?

What team did you pick then? Did you make many new signings?

How did the pre-season go?

I joined PreuƟen Munster near the end of the season because I started jobless and holidayed untill the date that was current at the time (26th of March 2018)

They were 11th both last season and this season when I took over.

Hmmm, taking over a club near the end of the season (usually in a not-so-great position and likely with average morale, or worse) is hardly a good idea if you're struggling with the game even when you have enough time and ways to actually build your side from the pre-season.

At this point I really think you'd start a fresh career with a Top Side in a small country, where you can still win games by "brute force", while focusing on improving the other aspect of the game without having to worry about being sacked or about morale and form slumps.

Celtic in SPL can be a good start... It'd be tempting to try PSG as well, but that's too much "responsibility" with many stars, egos and high expectations.

If things are so difficult for you, you'd really start from "FM Career 101". It doesn't even need to last longer than a couple of seasons, just enough to give you a bit of confidence

Hmmm, would The New Saints in Wales be good then? They're very dominant there and there aren't that many responsibillities because it's such a small country. And would you reccomend doing it in Touch or just the regular version?

33 minuti fa, Minuy600 ha scritto:

Hmmm, would The New Saints in Wales be good then? They're very dominant there and there aren't that many responsibillities because it's such a small country. And would you reccomend doing it in Touch or just the regular version?

Any smaller nation is potentially good, as it's easier, but the lower you go, the less "reliable" the input/output is because the players are simply too crappy...Ā  Basically a forward (or a winger) with 14 Acc/Pace could be enough to win you games regardless of the quality and of the balance of your team.

I'd still go with FM "proper", because Touch is merely a stripped-down version of the full game anyway. Only with fewer tools at your disposal. On one hand, it gives you fewer chances to screw it up (especially with media and players interaction), but on the other hand you can't use the same options to your advantage

Then I think FC Basel is a good idea, right? It has what i'm looking for, as the Swiss competition has less teams, the team has been dominant lately and the competition is fairly weak, but still has enough potential of becoming a force.

If it still is too high up, though, I think i'm off to Celtic.

Basel are another good pick...

Both Swiss and Scottish league have roughly the same amount games (36 v 38 but SPL has a sort of Final Six thing. However teams keep their points tally anyway, so you'd have the league in the bag by then)

3 hours ago, Minuy600 said:

Then I think FC Basel is a good idea, right? It has what i'm looking for, as the Swiss competition has less teams, the team has been dominant lately and the competition is fairly weak, but still has enough potential of becoming a force.

If it still is too high up, though, I think i'm off to Celtic.

I love playing the Swiss leagues. Currently in my 5th season in a long term save there. Basel dominate and the only real regular competition is from YB.

Hmmm. Had a shaky pre season, winning and losing 50/50, but ended up winning 1-0 to Young Boys, the only 'concurrent' of Basel at the moment, due to a penalty. I'm paying a lot more attention to tactics and opponents at the moment, I guess that could help? Not overly confident it'll work, but right now I think I have stuff under control. I'm not gonna update this thread too much of course, i'd need a CU thread for that, but i'll come back here one last time to tellĀ if my ending is happy or not.

In pre-season, just pick lowly amateur sides for friendlies...Ā  The key is to build tactical familiarity and morale. No need to face Real Madrid or Bayern to rake an extra 300k...

Not sure. I'm halfway through the season and while i'm top of the league by 7 points over Sion, I was last in the CL with a solitary point in a group with Napoli, Real Madrid and Besiktas and got knocked out in the quarter finals by Luzern. My manager safety is 56%. I'm not sure if i'm doing well enough to be honest, and I can sense a bit of boredom already creeping in. I really want to continue this but at the same time i'm tempted once again by the lower league nonsense that's flying around. Am I giving myself too many tasks by ticking everything except training and reserve team management? Feels like it's going too slow but just right at the same time.

Sorry guys, but this save doesn't quite hack it either. I'm top by 5 points, but i'm so incredibly tempted to start a new one with (you guessed it) a terrible club that I can barely progress. I'm not gonna delete it, because who knows, I could get stuck in again like I did a week ago, but as of right now, fiddling with the database is seemingly the only thing left to do for me. 200 hours, for (almost) nothing. Fantastic.

At this stage, I think you're simply burned out and need to take a lengthy break from FM. Maybe in a couple of weeks or months, you'll feel the completely random urge to start a new career somewhere, and it'll be fun (or at least addictive) as it used to be.

Honestly, you'd stop trying to draw blood from a stone. If the passion isn't there anymore, what's the point in insisting?

Because i'm rather jealous of those long careers people do and that I can't do them because I get sacked in season 1 or 2.

Anyway, i'm taking a break from actively managing every day indeed. Tinkering with my own little database is pretty fun so i'm not gone from FM totally.

Archived