(FM13) Super Caley go ballistic or they are atrocious: a Scandinavian Shankly story

withnail316

A very large edit to this opening post for those who followed previously. If you haven't read this thread before, feel free to ignore this bold section. When I got a new laptop for Christmas, I thought this save (and FM13) was done. Unfortunately, family life has prevented me from having the solid chunk of time I'd need to get stuck into a new career on a newer version, so I've had to go back to FM13 for a fix of the game as having an established career allows me to play for 30 minute chunks here and there. However, the Roma version didn't make the transfer from the old laptop, so I'm back to Scotland which I'll explain further down. The things you do for FM, right?

Evening all

My last attempt at a new thread (previous threads here and here) crashed and burned in record time after I prematurely thought I'd be able find time to play following the arrival of mini-Withnail number 2. However, over the last couple of weeks I've found time to watch the entire back catalogue of Breaking Bad (for the first time... I know, I know. Don't judge me.) so I figure I'm clear to come back! That means I've got lots of reading to do of all of your threads, but I shall get to that...

Anyway, some of you will be aware of this:

Headline.jpg.c4a846b0616b0e9424e65c501977f3f6.jpg

An infamous headline after the club I've selected to manage beat John Barnes' Celtic side in the Scottish Cup back in 2000. You may not be aware however that the headline had been used before, in the late 70s, in Liverpool's local newspaper after an outstanding Ian Callaghan performance ("Super Calley Goes Ballistic, QPR Atrocious.")

Enough, Withnail. What's the objective of the save?

EDIT: The original plan was to stay in Scotland and put Celtic to the sword initially, then grind both the Glasgow giants into the dirt for years to come before having a crack at Europe. However, I decided later on that I was ready for a move, hence the (EDIT again) now deleted second chapter. If the right move comes up though I will move on, especially now I have a more powerful laptop.

The details

FM13.3 with no edits. Leagues loaded from England (BSP & above) Scotland (Third Division & above) Germany (Third Division & above) France (National & above) Norway (2nd tier & above) Sweden (2nd tier & above. Medium database, 25,000 players. 

The manager

32 year old Johann Andersson is the man in the hotseat. The Swede spent most of his playing career in the lower reaches of Scottish football before a knee injury prematurely ended his career. 

Edited by withnail316

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5aaefd3965517_clublogo.thumb.png.7148cb2f0a01043924169b10fae4e792.png

Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC
(Adapted from wiki)

Inverness Caledonian Thistle Football Club is a professional football club based in Inverness, Scotland. The team currently competes in the SPL, the top flight of Scottish football.

Caledonian Thistle F.C. were formed in August 1994 by the merger of Caledonian and Inverness Thistle, both members of the Highland Football League. The new club was formed with a view to applying for one of the two vacancies in the Scottish Football League, created when the league restructured in 1994 to four divisions of ten teams each. They were successful and were elected to the Scottish Third Division along with Highland derby rivals Ross County. The club's name was amended to Inverness Caledonian Thistle F.C. in 1996 at the request of Inverness District Council.

The club first came to national prominence after their Scottish Cup victories over Celtic in 2000 and 2003: winning 3–1 at Celtic Park. Over the first ten years of their existence the club had been responsible for a total of 12 'shocks' and as a result had gained themselves a reputation as being "giant killers". It took 10 years for the club to earn promotion from the fourth tier to the top flight, although their first campaign had to be played from Aberdeen's Pittodrie stadium. 

The club's home however is the 7,750 capacity Tulloch Caledonian Stadium (and a very picturesque ground it is too...)

5aaeff72063f3_CaledonianStadium.thumb.jpg.50a7f9d85f026c40dfd1f248191bee1f.jpg

(From FM)

As of 2012, when this save starts, the club have no major silverware. They do however have 2,750 season ticket holders, average training and youth facilities, and a fierce rivalry with Highland neighbours Ross County, a mere 14 miles away. The board have some reasonable expectations in the first year, but more of that will follow. 

5aaf00f11b203_clublogo.thumb.png.40af8e39b0aea541152f421b32bde470.png

Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC
Season 2012/13 preview - SPL

Media expectation: 8th (of 12)
Board expectations: a mid table finish

Transfer budget (remaining:) £0
Wage budget:  £17,343p/w (£700p/w under budget)

I'm a little more advanced than I normally am when I start these saves, so I don't have an image of the squad on my arrival. However, here is the squad now in early July, after I've done the vast majority of my transfer business.

5aaf03f2be3b6_InvernessCaledonianThistle_SquadPlayers.thumb.png.e8e231418dce2476cbebce21f796957f.png
5aaf03f14c208_InvernessCaledonianThistle_SquadPlayers-2.thumb.png.ce9ffbad9a1660e4778d256eb3a163f4.png

Money is scant at the club, so my player acquisitions have been bargain-basement. 22 year old English midfielder Mark Doninger had been released by Stjarnan of Iceland, and the former Newcastle prospect arrived on a free to provide some depth in midfield. Winger Chris Erskine was inexplicably placed on the transfer list by Partick Thistle, and he comes in on a year-long loan for free. He's not a world beater, but he'll do a job as back up to Richie Foran this year. John Bostock comes in on loan from parent club Tottenham, while full back Ross Barbour also comes in on loan from Kilmarnock. 

Leaving the club was Chris Hogg - he had a contract until December, but will not play for a year with injury, so he graciously accepted a mutual termination. Youngster Ryan Watson left on a free, while prospect Daniel Devine went to second tier Livingstone on a year-long loan. 

I wanted to find a way to play 4-3-3 this season with an anchor man protecting the back four, but we simply don't have the players, or the budget to make the required changes. Instead, we'll probably have to play a simple 4-4-2.

5aaf072003955_InvernessCaledonianThistle_TacticsTeam-2.thumb.png.2ff7e7a64dc66c919676ded03f6c9a35.png

For what it's worth, I think the board's expectations are spot on for this season. A top half finish would be a massive over-achievement considering the squad we have right now, but it will be my own personal target. I'd also hope we can make the last 8 in both cup competitions, in-line with the board's expectations, but we'll have to hope we get a bit of luck with cup draws to get there. 

Pre-season has gone OK, we've avoided any injuries, which considering most of our squad's reports contain the words "injury proneness" is a minor miracle in itself. 

5ab048a1e7ccb_InvernessCaledonianThistle_FixturesSchedule.thumb.png.87af49f154c2b90a9ff22ebc503e2e42.png

Some comfortable results against lower-league clubs, and a decent display against Swansea, and so we're good to go. I'm still trying to offload a couple of players in order to sign a holding midfielder, but I'm fairly happy with what we have. 

On 20/03/2018 at 17:13, Dexter_Morgan said:

on the plus side no Rangers to worry about yet :D 

Funnily enough, the Rangers situation is why this was nearly an FM11 save, but with me selecting a small club (unlike my last Scottish save) Rangers will still be able to out spend us from the 4th tier. 

Hoping to get an update in tonight.

August

5ab42f2a1d238_InvernessCaledonianThistle_FixturesSchedule-2.thumb.png.a8e5263c947109fb7c9dd4718c4699b6.png

5ab42f293081d_ClydesdaleBankPremierLeague_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.24a39e70bb53d7f910e0cbcd7804581f.png

A blistering start, even if our performances have been a little ropey. I also need to do something about our disciplinary record...

5ab43036a8bb4_JohannAndersson_OverviewHome.thumb.png.f7e93ed575400a65e3a108fe77055ab4.png

And lastly, we've done one final piece of business in the transfer market. I was desperately searching for a DM, and former Blackburn, Middlesborough and Lyon man Herold Goulon fit the bill perfectly. He arrived on a free, and despite getting sent off on his debut, he looks a talent. 

5ab43124b84f6_HroldGoulon_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.a264ef66e355eb381c0148022f87661f.png

September

5ab4f659f2986_InvernessCaledonianThistle_FixturesSchedule.thumb.png.83e3aacef6fc37d68ca6ea9844f30fe0.png
5ab4f658bc318_ClydesdaleBankPremierLeague_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.d68bcc6237d11777e9f1e0bb70d94a9d.png

August was very much a freak month, but I'm more than happy to see us slotted in the top 3 at this stage. The defeat to Aberdeen was harsh on us, but I've no complaints over either of the 0-0 draws, and we've also achieved the first objective of the season in qualifying for the quarter final of the League Cup. 

Our cash flow is getting a little tight already, so I'm hoping we can go a stage further and get to a Hampden semi final (not that I expect a large crowd there) while I'm also contemplating a sale or two in January. 

5ab4f8852e8d4_AndrewShinnie_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.bb44acb655dc1605021b25a8877b8a40.png

Andrew "Anderton" Shinnie is one of our most saleable assets and arguably our best player, but every time he plays he picks up a minor knock. If we could get anything close to £1m I'd happily pack his bags for him in the winter. 

October

5ab59b193901e_InvernessCaledonianThistle_FixturesSchedule-2.thumb.png.7b1dc24c389d53ef57bfea510326288d.png
5ab59b183054c_ClydesdaleBankPremierLeague_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.179e5a26ef03c1f602eede7b69766077.png

Another productive month, and things are moving along nicely. The gap to the top two is growing (and I expect it to grow further still in the coming months, but an 8 point gap on 7th place Hibs is wonderful to see at this stage of the season. I'm already feeling quite good about our prospects of a top 6 finish, and with the victory over Aberdeen in the cup, we're off to Hampden at least once this season. Lovely stuff. We'll meet First Division Falkirk in the semi final, while Celtic play third tier Arbroath in the other game. 

1 hour ago, Dexter_Morgan said:

Good work so far, you should make the top half once the split happens (I think it does on FM13 doesn't it?) Cup semi as well is a nice bonus for you

Cheers. Yeah, the split is after 33 games, so a long way to go just yet. Promising start though.

(Forgive me, but I'm going back to my old style of update. It helps me feel a bit more involved, I think.)

November

SPL: Inverness 1-0 Hearts
A bit of a scrappy affair, but very happy with another win. A 7th of the season from Shane Sutherland just before half time was enough, drilled home from 20 yards. We did however lose his strike partner Billy McKay to injury, he won't return until mid-December. 

SPL: Inverness 1-2 Motherwell
A frustrating day at the office, but I can't complain too much at the defeat. We were two down at half time, and although we responded in the second half, we couldn't find a leveller. Even our goal was an OG.

SPL: Celtic 0-0 Inverness
Backs to the wall was the story here, but I'm elated to come away with a point. We could even have won it had Sutherland brought his shooting boots, but I won't get greedy this year!

SPL: Aberdeen 0-1 Inverness
Another game where I travelled expecting to defend, and that was the story of the day. The 94th minute brought a magical moment though, when Aaron Doran drove home from close range to cap off a brilliant counter. 

5ab6d6f851608_ClydesdaleBankPremierLeague_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.3fd78c32aa229bb70903c7401c902830.png

A little bit of business confirmed on a free for January. 

5ab8107dc9b8a_PlAndrHelland_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.5e0bd5942bfc7f8f7b5176b292c92310.png

It means I MUST sell somebody in January as the club is losing money and he'll take us over our wage budget, but he's so versatile he'll be an immense addition. 

Should be able to get a December update in tomorrow, but I'm sleeping on a transfer offer for one of my midfielders tonight.

The offer breaks the club's transfer record (which currently stands at £300,000) for an injury-prone player, which would keep the club in the black and perhaps allow me to invest a bit of it in the squad, but I feel like I'm being ripped off a little.

I'll see how I feel in the morning.

December

5ab8be452cfe3_JohannAndersson_NewsInbox-2.thumb.png.d75fb76aa9c9f5c07419ae03c9e81b23.png

Scottish Cup 4th round: Inverness 2-0 Dumbarton
I had hoped for something spectacular here against a lower league side, but efficient was the order of the day. Andrew Shinnie drilled us in front from distance midway through the first half, and Sutherland nodded home a second right on half time. Job done, we'll meet Falkirk at their place next time. 

SPL: Inverness 5-1 Hibernian
So spectacular was delayed a week! Hibs went in front in the opening minutes from a sensational free kick, but we responded brilliantly. Young striker Connor Pepper scored his first for the club from close range after 13 minutes, and Ross Barbour put us in front just after half time. Their keeper denied Sutherland from close range on the hour, but the ball hit the post, bounced back onto him and then squirmed through him for an OG, before Pepper got his second with 10 to play. With time running out, Sutherland got the goal he so richly deserved, and Hibs were utterly humiliated. 

SPL: Dundee United 2-2 Inverness
United are improving, and gave us a cracker of a contest here. Sutherland put us in front after 30 minutes, but they scored two in two minutes just after half time. Billy McKay secured a point on his return with 20 to play. 

SPL: Inverness 1-4 Celtic
I don't mind admitting I got this one all wrong tactically. Rather than repeating the set-up from Celtic Park, I decided to play our natural game, and we got ripped to bits. Connor Pepper scored our goal, but by then we were already three down. Lesson learned. 

SPL: Inverness 3-0 Dundee
Much better. Two more for Billy McKay, taking him to 9 for the season in 18 games, and one more for strike partner Sutherland, who incredibly is in the picture for the golden boot. 

SPL: Inverness 2-0 St Mirren
Another good display against a side who are better than this performance suggested. Sutherland and Pepper with the goals. 

SPL: St Johnstone 3-2 Inverness
Bunch of bawbags. They had three chances and scored three goals before we even got started. McKay & Sutherland got us back into it, but it wasn't enough and we suffer a first away defeat of the season. 

5ab8c2d13e01c_ClydesdaleBankPremierLeague_OverviewProfile-2.thumb.png.ef44834905be97b7b1d0b50c0966ef64.png

Three transfer deals incoming:

5ab978a5dc791_FraserMullin_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.d9d90a14e848d2f17b981bd1d993783d.png

Mullin will arrive from Hearts for £22,000 later on this month when his loan deal with Rangers expires.

5ab978e7df47e_RyanMcGivern_OverviewProfile-2.thumb.png.a89375994254d37aeb8e64fa65cc43d8.png5ab9829b50715_MichaelMcGovern_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.f289701050cab483e0ce6a3ce4f91e5d.png

McGivern will come in on a Bosman in the summer. He'll immediately become our best centre back, but the fact he is just as good at left back could be really handy. As for McGovern, both of my keepers are quite average, so he could find himself as our number one next year.

Edited by withnail316

January

SPL: Ross County 2-1 Inverness
A desperately disappointing Highlands derby, we simply didn't turn up. We were appalling in the first half, yet scored with our single chance through Shane Sutherland. Ross County deservedly secured a first win for their new manager Craig Levein in the second half, with the winner coming 14 minutes from time. 

SPL: Inverness 2-0 Aberdeen
We had nearly three weeks to wait before our next game, but fortunately we were much better when the game came around. Erskine drilled us in front on the half hour with a sweet volley from 12 yards, and Pepper secured a the points with a 25 yarder just after the hour. 

SPL: Inverness 3-0 Kilmarnock
Much, much better. Sutherland bagged a double as he kept up his quest for the golden boot, and Tudor-Jones' penalty secured the points. 

League Cup Semi Final: Falkirk 2-3 Inverness
An epic semi final that deserved to be watched by far more than the three and a half thousand people (for a semi final?!?) inside Hampden Park. Billy McKay's close range finish put us in front after 11 minutes, but Falkirk levelled soon after. Draper put us in front just before half time, but once again Falkirk levelled immediately after. They didn't have time to respond to McKay's second however, which arrived in the 93rd minute and secured our chance to get battered by Celtic in the final in March. 

Scottish Cup 5th round: Falkirk 0-2 Inverness
A second meeting in three days, but this time it was much more routine. Richie Foran curled a  30 yard free kick in after 8 minutes, and Sutherland's close range header - his 17th of the season - secured our progression to the quarter final. 

5aba19698dc25_ClydesdaleBankPremierLeague_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.0cf65c581c4d10321b96cfb1f4375e93.png

2 hours ago, withnail316 said:

League Cup Semi Final: Falkirk 2-3 Inverness
An epic semi final that deserved to be watched by far more than the three and a half thousand people (for a semi final?!?) inside Hampden Park. Billy McKay's close range finish put us in front after 11 minutes, but Falkirk levelled soon after. Draper put us in front just before half time, but once again Falkirk levelled immediately after. They didn't have time to respond to McKay's second however, which arrived in the 93rd minute and secured our chance to get battered by Celtic in the final in March. 

5aba72644e668_ScottishLeagueCup_MatchesFixturesResults-2.thumb.png.b2ad91badc11f01492754aab5e4c00ce.png

Errr...what? 

February

SPL: Inverness 1-4 Celtic
This game came straight after Celtic's kids were embarrassed in front of a full house at Hampden by Arbroath. Sadly, the youngsters didn't get another run-out - it was the full XI, and they tore us to pieces. Gary Hooper scored all four for them to take him clear in the race for the golden boot, and our only response came in stoppage time from Pål André Helland. 

SPL: Motherwell 0-1 Inverness
A huge game in the race for European football next year, and we just edged it. Pål André Helland was on target again early on, and although we weren't great, it could be a massive three points by the end of the season. 

SPL: St Mirren 2-3 Inverness
I lost my temper at half time with us 2-1 down, but Billy McKay and Matt Cooper added to Sutherland's first half strike to secure another win for us. 

SPL: Hearts 1-4 Inverness
Another poor first half and we found ourselves behind at the break, but three from Draper and another from Pål André Helland secured a thumping victory. 

SPL: Inverness 4-0 Dundee United
Fabulous performance. Pål André Helland, Pepper, Nick Ross and Shane Sutherland on target. 

5abab221d0826_ClydesdaleBankPremierLeague_OverviewProfile-2.thumb.png.1f81f4320f0eb05f854c28daa2cc87ee.png

Feeling quite positive over our hopes for European football next year then, but I'm feeling greedy... I'd be devastated now to finish below 3rd...

5abab34b68ecc_ClydesdaleBankPremierLeague_OverviewRules.thumb.png.b7c82c3e951da214fb39392c5ba63e1f.png

...but 2nd is worth nearly £1m more to the club, which in Inverness terms, is HUGE. 

March

Scottish Cup Quarter Final: Kilmarnock 2-1 Inverness
Frustrating performance, and so we crash out the cup in the last 8. We found ourselves two down at half time, and although McKay pulled one back late on, we left ourselves with too much to do. 

SPL: Dundee 2-1 Inverness
See what I've written just above here? Yeah, exactly the same happened in this game, with McKay again on target. 

SPL: Inverness 3-1 Ross County
Much, much better in the derby. Ross Draper's 30 yarder had us in front early on, but we conceded a soft penalty right on half time. Sutherland's 20th of the season edged us back in front, and Connor Pepper sealed it late on. 

5abad0c8189e9_ClydesdaleBankPremierLeague_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.326d435fb3968d9cdac2ad7428e78402.png

Scottish_League_Cup_logo.thumb.jpg.36337d265611066edb1d205e9fe984f9.jpg

The Scottish League Cup Final
Sunday 17th March 2013
Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Arbroath (!)
Hampden Park, Glasgow

5abad3b1d3678_EmptyHampden.thumb.jpg.452de336ea5dfde21118a7889450389c.jpg

Route to the final - Inverness Caledonian Thistle

5abad35849be9_InvernessCaledonianThistle_FixturesSchedule.thumb.png.54677953ac392b286c8ab5ce72bc1e0c.png

Route to the final - Arbroath

5abad3874743a_Arbroath_FixturesSchedule.thumb.png.f059dcb67cc19aaeed42a886daff06c3.png

Such an odd game for an allegedly major cup final (there's no European spot on offer for the winners, hence the use of 'allegedly') but after Arbroath's giant killing displays, they deserve their place at the national stadium. They're having a decent campaign in the third tier, and could still squeeze into the play offs come the end of the season. However, understandably so, we're huge favourites to secure the club's first ever piece of silverware. It's just a pity that we're only expecting a crowd of around 10,000. 

I won't be making Neil Lennon's mistake with my team selection, however. We're picking the strongest team we possibly can. 

First half

We started the game on the front foot, but Sutherland missed two early chances. After 15 minutes though the deadlock was broken. Shinnie won the ball in our own half, then picked out Billy McKay in space. He drove to the edge of the penalty area, and smashed into the corner from 18 yards. The same two players combined after 26 minutes, Shinnie's free kick from out wide found McKay's head, and he nodded home from 8 yards to double our advantage. Just before half time it was 3-0, with a stunning 25 yarder from Pål André Helland and we were already planning the street party. 

Half time: Inverness Caledonian Thistle 3-0 Arbroath

Second half

Zzzzz. Nothing at all happened until the last 10 minutes, when Draper picked up a damaged elbow which will see him miss the next 2-3 weeks. There was one more goal though, coming three minutes from time, from a complete fluke. Fraser Mullin's cross sailed beyond their keeper, and we had a fourth. 

Final score: Inverness Caledonian Thistle 4-0 Arbroath (10,860)

5abadb2827d84_JohannAndersson_NewsInbox-5.thumb.png.dafdbd45bd90d80b95830b89e3fd0961.png

1 hour ago, Dexter_Morgan said:

Clear in 2nd and some silverware already is great going so far :cool:

Yeah, just a pity we didn't play a slightly bigger side at Hampden as we're still in the red, and gate receipts of a sell-out crowd would probably have cleared it. Still, it'll be fine come the end of the season.

April

SPL: Hibernian 1-1 Inverness
A tad frustrated we didn't manage to take all three points here, but a good performance nevertheless. Billy McKay put us in front midway through the first half, and it stayed that way until the last 10, when we conceded a sloppy equaliser. 

SPL: Inverness 3-1 St Johnstone
The final game before the split brought another great display, and two more goals for Billy McKay, taking him to 20 for the season. Herold Goulon scored the goal of the game though, slotting home from close range after a lightning-quick counter. 

SPL: Motherwell 1-3 Inverness
A huge result which secured a top 3 finish, but we were appalling in the first half. Thankfully, the lads responded to my aggression at half time and ripped the 'well to shreds, with a double from Sutherland and one from Warren. 

5abd44a517a9d_JohannAndersson_NewsInbox-6.thumb.png.da796a2fe8cfd5fe22527002c5b9b9b7.png

SPL: Inverness 4-2 St Mirren
Another end-to-end affair with St Mirren after the five goal thriller in the winter, but we just about deserved this. We fell behind early on, but Draper levelled after 20 minutes. An OG put us in front after 30, but they levelled right on half time. Things deteriorated after an hour when Mullin got sent off for us, but I decided to go for it and played a 4-2-3. Connor Pepper put us in front after 74, and Shinnie sealed it with a rocket from range 6 minutes later. 

5abd45785bb37_ClydesdaleBankPremierLeague_OverviewProfile-2.thumb.png.190d515f3a0723c3a70c6b54c250a607.png