(FM13) Super Caley go ballistic or they are atrocious: a Scandinavian Shankly story

withnail316

Europa_League_Logo.thumb.jpg.4cd2fed9b4b642bf562397cac27fc82f.jpg

UEFA Europa League
Round of 32

1st leg: Inverness 2-2 Stuttgart
We certainly didn't disgrace ourselves here, but it could have been so much better. I'd tweaked the system to a 4-3-3 from our normal 4-4-2, with a DM replacing Shane Sutherland, and we started brilliantly. Luke James fired us in front after just two minutes, and within 60 seconds it was 2-0, Stuart Armstrong curling home a peach. Frustratingly, our lead only lasted until the 15 minute mark, but it's something to build on. 

2nd leg: Stuttgart 5-2 Inverness
It wasn't to be against a side chasing Champions League football in the Bundesliga, but I'm happy with our European campaign overall. We trailed 3-2 at the break with Gauld and James on target for us, but they were just too strong, and they progress to meet Udinese. 

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

February

SPL: Rangers 1-1 Inverness
We didn't play especially well here, and Rangers deservedly lead after an hour. Substitute Conor Pepper levelled for us with 10 to go though, and we smuggled a point out of Ibrox - not before I read the players the riot act, however. 

Scottish Cup 5th round: Stenhousemuir 1-1 Inverness
If the Rangers performance wasn't great, this was appalling. We very nearly got knocked out by the third tier side, and it took an 81st minute Shane Sutherland strike to get them back to our place. 

Scottish Cup 5th round replay: Inverness 1-0 Stenhousemuir
This was slightly better, but not much. Once again Sutherland was the scorer, but it was the debut of Neil Wilson that was the highlight of the game. We'll entertain Celtic in the quarter final next month. 

SPL: Inverness 3-0 Hearts
This was much better, with all three goals coming from midfield. Liam Polworth put us in front from distance, before loanee Tom Gomelt slotted home the crucial second on the hour. A blockbuster from Clifford secured the points. 

SPL: Inverness 3-0 Dundee
Oliver Norwood's great free kick got us in front within two minutes, and Sutherland followed up soon after with his 27th of the season - a personal record, and his 101st in total for the club. Doran fired in a third right on half time. 

1079912534_ClydesdaleBankPremierLeague_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.9e8d35089773e7a6ad59bef779896ba3.png

March

SPL: St Mirren 1-0 Inverness
Just a second league defeat of the season, and I've no complaints. St Mirren were much better than us on the day. 

Scottish Cup quarter final: Inverness 3-0 Celtic
I've no idea what's happened to Celtic this season (or how Neil Lennon isn't under pressure) but they just couldn't live with us. Liam Polworth slotted us in front from close range after 8 minutes, and Shane Sutherland doubled our lead from distance after 35 minutes. Luke James sealed it in the second half with a powerful close-range header. 

SPL: Falkirk 1-3 Inverness
Falkirk are a decent side, but they were no match for us here. Sutherland put us in front after 7 minutes, and a second half double for Pepper sealed it, although Falkirk's striker Lyle Taylor continued his excellent season with a goal for them. He's now up to 26 for the season, and I may consider a little bid for him in the summer. 

SPL: Inverness 2-0 Motherwell
This game was put to bed inside 20 minutes, with goals from both Sutherland and James. Comfortable. 

SPL: Hibernian 1-2 Inverness
Greg Tansey and a first for the club for Wilfried Sarr made the difference here. We're now potentially one game off the title, with Celtic to come to our place in the first week of April. 

1263422293_ClydesdaleBankPremierLeague_OverviewProfile-2.thumb.png.728f01b5d2d2778cbe1a16e35b267c5d.png

3 hours ago, kidthekid said:

great domestic run so far. Only  2 losses

Yeah, we've been incredibly consistent. Can't quite work out what is happening at either Old Firm club though, and neither manager is under pressure!

28 minutes ago, withnail316 said:

Yeah, we've been incredibly consistent. Can't quite work out what is happening at either Old Firm club though, and neither manager is under pressure!

I had this issue with the SPL in fm 15. I coached Queen of the South and after years of grinding, we eventually became the top side in Scotland We would win the league every year by a mile. But Celtic rarely sacked their manager, instead the manager would leave for a club in Spain or England. It seemed like by finishing second or third  in the SPL a few times, you become be the top candidate for some job in the EPL or La Liga. 

3 hours ago, kidthekid said:

I had this issue with the SPL in fm 15. I coached Queen of the South and after years of grinding, we eventually became the top side in Scotland We would win the league every year by a mile. But Celtic rarely sacked their manager, instead the manager would leave for a club in Spain or England. It seemed like by finishing second or third  in the SPL a few times, you become be the top candidate for some job in the EPL or La Liga. 

I had something similar in a long-term Norwegian save, but by that point it was one of the top 10 leagues in Europe, so clubs were going deep into European competitions. It doesn't make sense this early on, even if both managers are club legends or icons.

Lennon has clearly bought time with a European trophy, but McCoist looks nailed on to get Rangers relegated!

April & May

SPL: Inverness 2-0 Celtic
This was Celtic's last chance to get back into the title race, at least mathematically, but they didn't really turn up. Still, we had to wait until the 79th minute to break the deadlock, when Shane Sutherland fired home from 18 yards. Conor Pepper secured the points in stoppage time. 

SPL: Dundee United 1-1 Inverness
Following on from the Celtic game, we needed just a single point to secure the title, and that came at Tannadice. We didn't play especially well, but ex-United man Conor Clifford fired home with 10 minutes to play to bring the title to Inverness for a second time

Scottish Cup semi final: St Mirren 0-2 Inverness
We'll finish the season in a cup final after blowing St Mirren away at Hampden. Liam Polworth put us in front just before half time, and Luke James secured the win deep into the second half. We'll meet Rangers in our first ever Scottish Cup final in four weeks time.

SPL: Inverness 2-2 Celtic
We'd lost Shane Sutherland to injury inside 10 minutes of the semi final, so I'd had to change our shape from 4-4-2 to a 4-2-3-1. Celtic weren't ideal opponents for a brand new system, but we played pretty well in truth. David Wotherspoon fired us in front on 12 minutes, but just before half time Celtic scored two quick goals to lead at half time. Luckily, Tom Gomelt reacted well to the rollicking he got during the break, and he thumped home from distance six minutes later for a point. 

SPL: Falkirk 2-2 Inverness
Our worst performance for several weeks, and we were 2-0 down at the break. Luckily, James and Pepper grabbed a goal apiece to ensure we walked away with a point. 

SPL: Hearts 1-4 Inverness
Hearts simply couldn't live with us, and Stuart Armstrong in particular. He grabbed a hat-trick as we blew them away, with Sutherland also scoring for the 32nd time this season

SPL: Inverness 3-1 St Mirren
A final home game of the season, and the home fans went away happy. Sarr, James and Pepper the scorers. 

SPL: Dundee 0-1 Inverness
A 30th league win of the season, and Shane Sutherland was once again the difference-maker. Comfortable. 

689856257_ClydesdaleBankPremierLeague_OverviewStages-2.thumb.png.73089cbb6c47bcc31a5c648ebc3b7f9f.png

1187881518_ScottishCuplogo.thumb.gif.ade5258a7e4f4f1498dd5237498c5b30.gif

The Scottish Cup Final
Saturday 14th May 2016
Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Rangers
Hampden Park, Glasgow

921932363_EmptyHampden.thumb.jpg.3bcd7590117ce246fdd8ce4248c055f0.jpg

Route to the final - Inverness Caledonian Thistle

1017310717_InvernessCaledonianThistle_FixturesSchedule-2.thumb.png.85f7b96522d2c917a177dfe34eb296dd.png

Route to the final - Rangers

108433953_Rangers_FixturesSchedule.thumb.png.9993d94be5524d4b14cfd4cf8bb818b7.png

A big day then in the history of the club, as we compete in our first ever Scottish Cup final. In truth, I haven't been too concerned with the competition throughout the course of the season, as I've used heavily rotated sides against everybody other than Celtic. Now we're here though, I want to crush Rangers into the dirt, and ensure they don't receive the consolation of a trophy following their incredible relegation from the top flight this season - despite them spending more than every club bar Celtic on wages. 

I'll be playing a full strength side as we go looking for the double. 

First half

Well, that wasn't the start I'd hoped for. Inside 13 minutes we were down to 10 men, when Mark O'Hara received his marching orders for a horrible foul on the half way line. That meant we needed to alter our 4-4-2 to a 4-2-3, and Luke James was not at all impressed that he was the man to be replaced. Worse was to come though, and Josh Meeking put through his own net 10 minutes before half time. That prompted a quick response from the lads, and Florian Heinrich thumped home a header from Wotherspoon's corner right on half time. 

Half time: Inverness Caledonian Thistle 1-1 Rangers

Second half

Very little happened until the 67th minute, when former Inverness defender Michael Keane caught Ryan Gauld in the box, and the referee pointed to the spot. Keane was dismissed, and Clifford rammed home the spot kick to put us in front. We then piled on the pressure, slicing Rangers open in the 73rd minute when Ryan Gauld slotted home from a 15 pass move (yes, I counted!) from close range. That knocked the stuffing out of Rangers, allowing Shane Sutherland to power home in stoppage time, and the double was ours. 

Final score: Inverness Caledonian Thistle 4-1 Rangers (49,068)

1405146958_JohannAndersson_NewsInbox-23.thumb.png.5453e5830f6bd1902789c4134263e6c1.png

1612015677_clublogo.thumb.png.d86f8bff622264c8e93df42b7b04fe7c.png

Inverness Caledonian Thistle
Season summary 2015/16

League (SPL)
Media prediction: 2nd
Finished: 1st (champions)

Cups
Scottish Cup: winners
Scottish League Cup: quarter final (won by Dundee)

Europe
Champions League: finished 3rd in the group stage (won by Chelsea)
Europa League: eliminated in round of 32 (won by Manchester City)

Top scorers
Luke James: 57 appearances (51 starts): 38 goals (22 in the league)
Shane Sutherland: 54 appearances (52 starts): 34 goals (23 in the league)
Conor Pepper: 39 appearances (11 starts): 16 goals (12 in the league)

Top assists
David Wotherspoon: 20 in all competitions
Shane Sutherland: 16 in all competitions

Positives
That's an outstanding way to get back into the save. Another league title, a first Scottish Cup and we're absolutely flying as a club. I've no idea what is going on at both Celtic and Rangers, but I won't worry about that too much. The squad is in good nick, and I don't anticipate severe changes this summer - although I wouldn't be hugely shocked if I happen to break my transfer record again on the right player. In short, trophies, money in the bank, solid squad - happy days. 

Concerns & disappointments
Celtic's management, perhaps? Seriously, the stadium issue is a little frustrating, our average league crowds are over 7,600 (or 98.42% of the stadium) and the board aren't interested in an expansion, but I'll get over that soon enough. In player terms, I have a slight concern about the under 21 rule domestically, which means three players every match day have to satisfy that criteria, but that's very tame. 

Ambitions
Another league title and to keep progressing in Europe. That means being involved in either competition come the new year. 

Manager's player of the year
A slight change of tack this year. Usually I'd give it to the most consistent player of the season, but this time it's our Ole Gunnar Solskjær who gets the award. Conor Pepper only started 11 games this season, and yet ended up with 16 goals, six assists and a place in Ireland's European Championship squad. 

Attendances
Lowest attendance: 4,277 (v Arbroath in the league cup)
Highest attendance: 10,996 (v Sparta Prague in the Champions League - played at McDiarmid Park)
Average attendance: 7,572 (7,627 in the league)

Finances
£12m in credit

Edited by withnail316

I think I owe the board an apology.

1392721391_JohannAndersson_NewsInbox-28.thumb.png.e20ec2ed67cc3f5a08adfc02a0b7a6a5.png

That's an absolutely enormous investment from the board. I'm staggered they agreed to another training upgrade. 

1673297882_JohannAndersson_NewsInbox-29.thumb.png.34cac3da96952e33146334edee97363b.png

That made accepting a new contract a really simple decision for me. But the best news was still to come:

2068073137_JohannAndersson_NewsInbox-27.thumb.png.d8bcdbca0e41efdcddc518c217c62794.png

My requests have been repeatedly denied, but the board made this decision for themselves. That *should* mean the stadium becomes large enough to host Champions League games, so the fans will no longer have to travel over 100 miles each way to Perth...

Thought it was worth sharing a best XI now I've been at the club a few years.

2088740303_InvernessCT_HistoryBestEleven.thumb.png.204cf577127f3b15a3f21c311abdefb7.png

Luke James' record is astonishing, and both he (70 league goals) and Sutherland (75 league goals) could go past the club's iconic record scorer this season. Dennis Wyness scored 81 league goals in his time at the club, and he's just resigned for us on the coaching staff this summer

Only two players in the 'best' squad from outside the British Isles too, but I expect that to change in the next few years. It's certainly been a far more exotic transfer window than normal so far, I must say!

Edited by withnail316

2043209273_clublogo.thumb.png.13bc94aec89928bfc7e4c5cea382fc52.png

Inverness Caledonian Thistle
Season preview - SPL 2016/17

Media expectation: 2nd
Board expectation: challenge for the title

Transfer budget (remaining): £6m
Wage budget: £120,000p/w (£20,000p/w under budget)

It's early for me to be writing this update, I still have over two months until the transfer window closes, but I've made some major progress already so I couldn't wait any longer. As I stated at the end of the last campaign, the board really backed me with youth, training and stadium upgrades, digging into the club's coffers and spending around £11m on them. In an ideal world I'd like to see the board continue to invest in those kind of upgrades, but with the lack of cash available in Scottish football, I'm aware that will need to come from a combination of European football and by us making substantial profits in the transfer market. We did receive some very welcome news on the first part of that equation this summer, as well as discovering the club's individual European ranking is well on the rise:

192059908_JohannAndersson_NewsInbox-31.thumb.png.b642b84b39951539aaae16544a62f327.png1547084942_JohannAndersson_NewsInbox.thumb.png.41aaa117460330a85087cfd4c42de1f7.png

Scotland's coefficient ranking is now 11th in Europe, 9 points clear of 12th placed Switzerland, although we are substantially behind 6th place Portugal, which is the last nation to have two sides automatically into the Champions League. I've got to shoot for the stars though, so catching Portugal is definitely a target. 

As for this season, I've got no complaints with the board's demands (title challenge, Scottish Cup final and the play off round of the Champions League), but I'll be aiming higher in all three areas. I'm confident we can qualify for the Champions League group stage again, and then I'll be targeting European football in the new year. 

You may have noticed the huge leap in money available for me to spend on transfers this year. That's come about because there have been some substantial movements out of the club so far, and there may even be a few more by the time the window shuts. The first thing I did upon receiving the news the board had invested so heavily in upgrades was to sell our clause for Fraser Mullin, who joined Southampton in a then-record £2.5m deal last August. That brought in an extra £1.65m, but the deals have exploded this summer. That Mullin record has been broken not once but twice, first with defender Josh Meekings joining Sparta Prague for £3.2m, and then Mullin's replacement Kieran Duffie, a £775,000 arrival 12 months ago, joined Burnley for £3.5m (+ 50% of the next deal.) Also leaving was young German striker Tim Bodenröder, who moves to Rangers for £1.3m (again plus 50% of the next deal.) Finally, winger Aaron Doran had slipped down the pecking order, so he joins Coventry City's new adventure in the Championhip for £700,000. By my calculations, that's a total of £10.35m brought into the club this summer. 

Don't let yourself think I've been overly tight in our spending, however. You've already seen the pair of players I've brought in on free transfers, but I've had an urge to bring in some younger players to help with the league's regulations with youngsters in match day squads. I need to pick three outfield players who are under the age of 21 in every domestic game, and while the squad has a ridiculously young average age (22 as of last season) I wanted to build on that for this season. I'd sent my scouts out hunting for a defensive minded central midfielder, and they came back with an ideal candidate, Croatia's U21 captain Petar Herent. He'd been plying his trade at Hajduk Split and to get him, we'd have to dig deep. We eventually agreed a deal for £3m (£1.5m now and another £1.5m in instalments over the next few years), which also shattered our old incoming transfer record. With the vultures circling around striker Luke James, who is an England U21 international, and a few personal doubts over the long term future of Shane Sutherland, I also knew I had to prepare up front. My scouts have really outdone themselves with this deal, I must admit. Precocious Brazilian Araújo had an inexplicably low buy-out of £975,000 in his Fluminense contract, so it is barely even a risk for us if the deal doesn't work out, but I have very high hopes of this kid for the future. He'll join us on his 18th birthday in July. I also went back to Dundee United for winger Max Power, who I had been tracking from his days at Tranmere. He joins us for a modest £375,000, but is immediately our best player on that flank. Finally, I'm expecting to sign a loan deal for winger Wanderley, but that depends on the outcome of a work-permit appeal, but I'm 90% confident that will go through. 

380655843_PetarHerent_OverviewProfile-2.thumb.png.4cd81a7c068574518d22cc3b34666c93.png207544627_Arajo_OverviewProfile-2.thumb.png.bf625fe07e70dd73c58b30039cb7fce0.png2147282931_MaxPower_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.2e26fb7018d4bf8ba7fb14fb50d2acde.png471568293_Wanderley_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.878d2fe5e310d8a47a3f4c3a4974faed.png

I have a few decisions over plans with a few of our youngsters, but I'll come to those before the transfer window closes. All in all though, a pretty good window for us so far!

Parent club Arsenal have just given me a decision to make. They've sent us this central defensive monster for nothing, without me asking:

573257778_AbdoulKarimKeita_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.8cd1e9f95aead4e9280ed6516bc23550.png

Logically, that means I should try and sell Northern Irish international Ryan McGivern over the next few days. I'd been using him as a left-back although he is equally as good at centre back, but the arrival of Scott Laird means he's slipped down the pecking order on the flank. He was going to be me my fourth choice centre back this season and I'd planned on selling him next season to make room for youngster Neil Wilson. The young lad is off to St Johnstone on loan for some first team football this year. 

I'll make him available and see what happens.

In a follow up to that last post, I did sell Ryan McGivern in the end. He's joined Rangers for £1.4m (plus 50% of the next deal) while young Czech striker Dominik Masek has gone back home to Sparta Prague for £1m. I've also seen a few fringe players leave the club on loan, Brian Brosnan has gone back to Aberdeen for the year, Greg Tansey is off to Hull, Wayne Corr has joined Barnsley, and Jordan Archer is off to Kilmarnock. 

In other news, England won the 2016 European Championships, beating 2014's World Cup winners Spain 1-0 in the final. Scotland did themselves proud though, reaching the quarter final before being knocked out on penalties by the Spanish. 

1788549535_LOGOCHAMPIONSLEAGUE.thumb.jpg.4cf90bbea05f0ef3051a32e09c341b1c.jpg

UEFA Champions League
3rd qualifying round

1st leg: FK Željezničar Sarajevo 0-3 Inverness
A straightforward first leg in Sarajevo, and in truth it was pretty much done by half time. Shane Sutherland put us in front just seven minutes in, and 21 minutes later he made one for strike-partner Luke James, who powered home his 100th goal for the club. James slotted home a third early in the second half, and although we should have had more, three is plenty away from home. 

2nd leg: Inverness 1-1 FK Željezničar Sarajevo
This was a bit of a 'meh' performance, but we're through and that's the main thing. We fell behind right on half time from the spot, and although debutant (and future Scotland international goalkeeper) Brian Jenks saved the initial penalty, he could do nothing about the rebound. Sutherland levelled in the early stages of the second half. 

We'll meet Sparta Prague in the play offs, but at the moment the home leg is scheduled to be in Perth. The stadium upgrade is due to be finished three days before the game though, so I'll keep my fingers crossed it gets switched. 

2131001976_LOGOCHAMPIONSLEAGUE.thumb.jpg.c9f897b1dba286f18a6ac62847ac530e.jpg

UEFA Champions League
Play-off round

1st leg: Inverness 6-2 Sparta Prague
Outstanding. Simply outstanding. We were 3-0 up with just 18 minutes on the clock thanks to a double from Shane Sutherland and a brilliant header from Wallace, and then Ryan Gauld curled home a peach from distance. That sparked the Czechs into life, and they grabbed a pair of goals either side of half time, but a tap-in from Clifford and a second from Gauld put us in total command of the tie. 

2nd leg: Sparta Prague 1-1 Inverness
We fell behind to an early strike from an ex player, Dominik Masek turning home from close range, but when Stuart Armstrong levelled, any prospect of a shock was all but done. Another year in the group stage for us, and Celtic have joined us there, too. Our draw, however, has not been kind:

507978852_EuropeanChampionsCup_OverviewProfile.png.b9e9ba08343b3b85c9e85f2a3ca450db.png

:eek::eek:

August

SPL: Inverness 5-1 Hibernian
Season-openers don't get too much better than this one. It was Hibs who started better off though, and they were in front within 3 minutes. Luke James levelled five minutes later from the spot, and Pepper put us in front after 12 minutes. James slotted a third with under 20 minutes on the clock, and Max Power curled another on the stroke of half time. Mark O'Hara applied gloss to the scoreline in the 93rd minute. 

SPL: Inverness 1-1 Aberdeen
This was a frustrating day at the office, but we weren't good enough. Liam Polworth had put us in front after 32 minutes, but we fell apart from a second half corner. 

SPL: Kilmarnock 2-4 Inverness
A much better display. Luke James continued his fine run of form with two more goals, and Connor Clifford fired home a rocket from 25 yards. The game will be remembered for a first Inverness goal for Araújo though, which arrived late in stoppage time. 

SPL: Inverness 1-0 Dundee
We're a mixed bag at the moment in terms of performance, but once again we got the job done. Luke James slotted home his 75th league goal for the club, putting him just six off equalling the club's record - and exactly the same as Shane Sutherland. 

September

CL Group H: Chelsea 3-0 Inverness
This wasn't really a battle of Britain as we didn't lay a glove on the London outfit. Far better than us, and a deserved (but not unexpected) defeat. 

SPL: Celtic 1-1 Inverness
Not an ideal fixture on the back of a European game, but I'm happy enough with a point. Luke James fired us in front after just two minutes, but Celtic dominated and deserved a late leveller. A point gained rather than two lost, though. 

League Cup 3rd round: Peterhead 0-3 Inverness
We had to be patient with a second string XI, but we got the job done in the final half hour. Araújo opened the scoring from close range, and Liam Polworth drilled home a second from 25 yards with 15 to play. Heinrich's powerful header sealed it in the closing minutes. 

SPL: Inverness 2-0 Motherwell
This was routine thanks to Luke James and Stuart Armstrong, and keeps us right behind Celtic at the top of the table. 

CL Group H: Inverness 1-1 PSG
An excellent display, and it was so close to a famous victory. We soaked up PSG's attacks for over an hour, before they were reduced to 10 men and we went on the front foot. Luke James put us in front with 19 to play, but PSG found a (lucky) equaliser in the 88th minute, just after we'd gone to 10 with a late injury. 

696787636_ClydesdaleBankPremierLeague_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.dd25255d174df8907208f358a4051fb5.png

October

SPL: St Mirren 1-1 Inverness
The Buddies are a tricky side, and this was a real battle. We fell behind after half an hour, and we had to wait until 14 minutes from time for Shane Sutherland to find a leveller - a goal he desperately needed. 

CL Group H: Inverness 1-1 Juventus
Gah, this was a great point, but if not for a 94th minute Giovinco free kick, it would have been a famous win. Shane Sutherland slotted us in front right on half time, and although the lads fought like lions, that free kick was just too good. 

SPL: Ross County 0-4 Inverness
Our frustrations were taken out on our local rivals, and some. Luke James put us in front right on half time and O'Hara doubled our lead in the opening minutes of the second half. A double from Sutherland ensured the fans went home with huge smiles on their faces, and it takes him ever closer to breaking the club's record. 

Scottish League Cup quarter final: Rangers 0-4 Inverness
Rangers have recovered a little from last year's relegation, but they simply couldn't live with us. Luke James bagged a hat-trick, and Conor Pepper slotted home another in a rare outing. 

SPL: Hearts 0-2 Inverness
Hearts manager Ian Holloway was under huge pressure going into this game, and the board pulled the trigger shortly after the final whistle. Strikers Sutherland and James did the damage. 

CL Group H: Juventus 5-0 Inverness
Well.... one of those days, I guess. 

1374814187_ClydesdaleBankPremierLeague_OverviewProfile-3.thumb.png.56010c0d4ed638c5aacd11d511989526.png

Frustratingly, we seem to be losing odd games to international call-ups. We were meant to play Hibs next, and yet while the rest of the SPL are in action, our game has been called off. Very odd, and not for the first time this season. 

10 hours ago, withnail316 said:

Frustratingly, we seem to be losing odd games to international call-ups. We were meant to play Hibs next, and yet while the rest of the SPL are in action, our game has been called off. Very odd, and not for the first time this season. 

A Celtic conspiracy! :mad: 

Ugh. My record signing hasn't settled in Scotland, so he'll be moving on in January if possible. Pity, he's a cracking player, but I'm not going to have him sulking. I just hope I can get my £3m back...

17 hours ago, withnail316 said:

Ugh. My record signing hasn't settled in Scotland, so he'll be moving on in January if possible. Pity, he's a cracking player, but I'm not going to have him sulking. I just hope I can get my £3m back...

I'm no fan of Ajax on FM after my time managing Utrecht, but they've done me a huge favour here. They had a mild interest in Herent before I picked him up, but they have now offered £5m to take him off our hands. Thank you very much!

I'll use that money to turn Wanderley's loan into a permanent deal (£2.4m fee) and spend £450,000 on Liam Henderson of Celtic:

2117469844_LiamHenderson_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.076507eaa0b2204ad18afe121d53232d.png

November

SPL: Aberdeen 1-2 Inverness
We didn't play especially well here, but another Luke James double got the job done for us. I've recently noticed he's now a club icon too, and rightfully so. 

CL Group H: Inverness 1-2 Juventus
An incredible effort, but we just didn't quite have the quality on the night. Shane Sutherland fired us in front early on, his 6th Champions League goal of the season. We hung on until late in the second half, but two goals in the final 10 minutes gave Juventus the points. We're out of the Champions League, but if we can secure an unlikely win in Paris next month, we'll take 3rd in the group.

SPL: Inverness 2-2 Celtic
There is absolutely nothing between us and Celtic this year, and this game was no different. They took the lead right at the end of the first half when we switched off at the back, but Luke James slotted us level five minutes into the second half. We conceded another sloppy goal with 7 minutes to play, but James popped up again deep into stoppage time to give us a point. 

1193677024_JohannAndersson_NewsInbox-26.thumb.png.ddbee4fa37450d0ddcb4deaec7a95a6f.png

SPL: Inverness 3-1 Kilmarnock
Another excellent display, although we had to be patient. James was on target on the hour, Stuart Armstrong rifled home a few minutes later, and a powerful Sutherland header completed the job. 

Scottish Cup 4th round: Partick Thistle 1-4 Inverness
It was pretty much a reserve side I picked here, but we still far too strong for Thistle. Sutherland dinked us in front in the opening minutes and Araújo's header doubled our lead soon after. Polworth and Armstrong grabbed another each to send us safely through. 

712596016_ClydesdaleBankPremierLeague_OverviewProfile-4.thumb.png.58cba931aedf9d97ddefe1de2735ab9d.png

5 minutes ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

Credible performances at home in the Champions League. Away needs some improvement.

Agreed, but considering the group we got, I won't be beating myself up over those performances. We're still a long way off being able to compete with the big clubs in Europe, but it'll come. 

Pondering getting rid of a club legend this summer so we can evolve tactically, otherwise we won't progress in Europe.

Shane Sutherland has been one of the stars of this save, but I was planning on dropping him to the bench in a 4-4-2 next year. If the system changes he'll become 4th choice, simply because the other spare strikers can also play out wide. 

He has been brilliant, but I think the club has outgrown him. He's scored 118 goals since I've been at the club though, so the fans won't be impressed! 

December

CL Group H: PSG 3-0 Inverness
Any faint hopes I had of somehow finding a way past PSG and into the Europa League had fizzled out after 10 minutes of this game, when we were already 2-0 down, and PSG cruised to victory. We've failed to achieve the target I set us at the start of the season (European football after Christmas) and finished the group with just 2 points, but I won't worry too much about it this year. 

SPL: Motherwell 0-3 Inverness
I wanted a reaction from the display in France, and we definitely got one. All three goals were scored by wingers, with two for Wotherspoon and one from Gauld. 

SPL: Inverness 3-1 St Mirren
I don't like playing St Mirren, they always make me nervous. We had to work really hard here, but one from Gauld and two late Araújo goals were just about enough. 

SPL: Inverness 2-0 Ross County
This is quite a one-sided rivalry at the moment, and our neighbours had no answers to our attack on this day. Sutherland and Wotherspoon were both on target. 

SPL: Inverness 3-0 Falkirk
A third win in a row at home, and Luke James celebrated signing a new deal the only way he knows how - with a couple of goals. O'Hara with the other. 

SPL: Falkirk 2-2 Inverness
A frustrating draw as we look to reel Celtic in ahead of us, but Falkirk deserved the point in our second meeting in four days. Sutherland and James on target. 

SPL: Hibernian 0-1 Inverness
One of our three games in hand, and a solitary Sutherland strike was enough to close the gap to six points. 

1409548214_ClydesdaleBankPremierLeague_OverviewProfile-5.thumb.png.b87a916ba1777b4c9f3669bf0732c834.png

I need to keep an eye on our wage bill as it is beginning to spiral, but I know I need to improve us if we're to become more competitive in Europe. We're currently spending almost £7m a year on wages, which means a place in the Champions League group stage is essential, especially with us spending so much money on infrastructure. That means I need to keep selling players, preferably at huge profits. As mentioned earlier, I have decided I'm going to sell Shane Sutherland this summer to allow me to evolve away from four four effing two to a 4-2-3-1, and while I have a couple of players capable of playing behind a striker already, this fella will join us on a free from Nottingham Forest, and he's likely to start the season there:

2097527388_LesHarris_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.43ec9cc05f29876bed122587dd333528.png

More immediately, I'm trying to improve our midfield with a deal for a young Brazilian: 

442923924_Xuxa_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.a9b82d875ff7e9168644c7ae0b2ba9b7.png

Xuxa has a release clause of £1.2m which I've activated, and I'm waiting on a work-permit appeal result to bring him in during this window. That means I'll probably have to sell one of my other midfielders. with Oliver Norwood the most likely to leave, although he is injured until the tail end of January which means agreeing a deal could go to the wire.

More long term, Swedish u21 international striker Martin Nilsson has come in from Kalmar FF in his homeland for £500,000. 

1638643482_MartinNilsson_OverviewProfile-2.thumb.png.b71559684e3621d7dc559e65210594bd.png

Both he and fellow new arrival Liam Henderson have been offered to feeder club Queen of the South on loan until the end of the season. 

20 minutes ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

You didn't disgrace yourself in the Champions League. Now you just have to make sure you make it again.

The good news is we have two Champions League spots now, with the league runners up going to the third qualifying round. I don't fancy our chances outside of the Champions route though! Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that...

January

SPL: Inverness 3-0 Dundee United
This look comfortable, but it really wasn't. Inside the opening half hour, Conor Pepper opened the scoring and picked up two yellow cards, so we had to shift around a little with an hour on the clock. Two late goals from Nick Ross and Shane Sutherland ensured we secured a valuable win though. 

SPL: Dundee United 1-3 Inverness
A second meeting in three days, yet this was much more convincing. Two from James and one from Sutherland had us 3 up at half time, and although we switched off a little late on, it was a much more convincing performance. 

SPL: Inverness 1-3 Hearts
One of the two games in hand we had on Celtic, and it's fair to say it did not go to plan at all. They were better in every department, and deserved the points - Luke James briefly levelled for us in the first half, but our unbeaten run is over. 

SPL: Dundee 0-1 Inverness
The second game in hand, but we were much improved. Luke James put us in front after 23 seconds - a club record - and although we should have had two or three more, one was plenty on the day. 

SPL: Inverness 2-0 Hibernian
Hibs haven't taken a point off us since February 2015, and they were no match for us here. James and Araújo tore them apart, and finished with a goal apiece. There was  even better news from Falkirk though - they'd beaten Celtic 1-0.

SPL: Inverness 2-1 Aberdeen
A sixth game in 18 days meant we were down to the bare bones, and we nearly came unstuck here. Aberdeen hit the front in the early moments, and we had to wait until the 82nd minute for James to bundle home a leveller. The Dons crumbled under pressure in the last few minutes, and James stabbed in a close range winner in the 94th minute - and once again Celtic dropped points, this time they were held at home by Dundee United. 

SPL: Celtic 0-0 Inverness
After the Hearts game, I had earmarked this fixture as the one that could see the league title slip from our grasp. Instead, we went into it with a two point lead after Celtic's wobble, and so I was happy to frustrate rather than chase the game. We rode our luck, but the point will certainly be cherished in this part of the world. 

SPL: Kilmarnock 0-3 Inverness
Will this month ever end? Eight games in three and a half weeks, and I was rotating the side for all I was worth. Luckily, Kilmarnock are thoroughly average. Two from Pepper and one from Sutherland gave us a little boost at the top and meant it was Celtic who were now playing catch-up. They were playing their cup semi final instead of a league game, we have ours next week, but we'll be missing EIGHT first team players to international duty. Wonderful. 

Scottish Cup 5th round: Raith Rovers 1-5 Inverness
Pretty straightforward day out in Kirkcaldy, and the locals definitely won't be "dancing in the streets of Raith tonight" after the way they were swept aside. We did have to come from behind though, but Oliver Norwood drove us level from distance right on half time. In the second half we simply tore them to shreds: Wotherspoon put us in front after 64 minutes, and I sent Luke James on as a sub soon after. He bagged a hat-trick in the final 10 minutes. 

605120654_ClydesdaleBankPremierLeague_OverviewProfile-6.thumb.png.721f25f4a1a9fe5c06578eab49b17669.png

All in all, things are going well on the pitch. One piece of bad news this month though. Top youth prospect Neil Wilson broke his leg while on loan at St Johnstone, and is likely to be out until August. I'd planned on making him one of the four centre backs in the first team squad next year, but I may have to change that plan now so he can recover, which probably means another loan spell. 

737281903_NeilWilson_OverviewProfile-3.thumb.png.e312cdcef69300055373f5ad48ce8d1c.png

February

League cup semi final: St Mirren 0-1 Inverness
With eight players away on international duty, I went into this game more in hope than expectation, but we just about shaded it. Chances were few and far between, but Luke James was in the right place to plant a firm header home from 12 yards on 54 minutes, and St Mirren couldn't find a response. We'll meet Celtic in the final next month. 

SPL: Inverness 1-0 Dundee
Another tough day at the office, but a rocket from Ryan Gauld right on half time saw us through. 

SPL: Hearts 2-4 Inverness
Hearts are a tricky side, and once again gave us a real fright, although this time we had enough about us to get the points. We were behind early on, but Liam Polworth levelled after 21 minutes from just inside the area, only for Hearts to retake the lead on half time. Luke James reacted the right way to a bit of stick at half time, and he'd soon fired us level again, then set one up for Conor Pepper a few minutes later. Stuart Armstrong finally sealed it right on full time, with a 25 yard howitzer. 

SPL: Inverness 5-2 Motherwell
This should have been much more comfortable, but I won't worry about that too much. Shane Sutherland put us in front on his first start since a little knock during the Celtic game, and Florian Heinrich doubled it from a corner soon after. Motherwell scored a scruffy goal just before half time, but the second half was the Luke James show. He bagged a hat-trick, and could have had even more. 

Scottish Cup quarter final: Inverness 3-0 Cowdenbeath
A straightforward game on paper, with the Blue Brazil struggling in the second tier. We had to be patient, but Polworth (2) and James found the net to send us through to a semi final against our feeder club, Queen of the South. 

1951262649_ClydesdaleBankPremierLeague_OverviewProfile-7.thumb.png.9d376e0c223807d9afc0a3193c8592ea.png

March

SPL: St Mirren 2-1 Inverness
Incredibly frustrating, but we got what we deserved. We were 2-0 down after just 7 minutes, and although Luke James got us back into it right on half time, we never looked like finding a leveller. 

SPL: Inverness 3-0 Falkirk
I wanted a reaction, and I got one. James put us in front inside the opening 60 seconds, and Stuart Armstrong curled a second after 48 minutes. Araújo's powerful header four minutes from time applied a little gloss to the finish. 

Scottish League Cup Final: Inverness 2-3 Celtic
(Apologies I'm not writing this as a separate post.) An incredible game of football at Hampden, but unfortunately we'll have to wait for a third League Cup. It all started so brightly when Araújo powered home a header from a corner to put us in front. The lead lasted just two minutes, and an O'Hara slip was punished by the deadly Tony Watt. Watt had a second just before half time, curled home from the edge of the area, and Celtic had a third in the early minutes of the second half. I responded the only way I could, by throwing players forward, and we started creating chances. Luke James pulled a goal back in the 87th minute to give us hope, and had Oliver Norwood's free kick in stoppage time glanced off the inside of the post and not the outside, we'd probably have taken the game to extra time. It wasn't to be though, and Celtic secure the first domestic trophy of the season. 

SPL: Ross County 0-5 Inverness
Just the game required to get a lost cup final out of system, a local derby. Luke James had us in front after 22 seconds, and his second arrived just 10 minutes later. Shane Sutherland put the game beyond Ross County after half an hour, and James sealed his hat-trick with a rocket from distance after 44 minutes. Sutherland slipped home a fifth in the second half, and our fans were jubilant as they left Dingwall. 

SPL: Dundee United 0-2 Inverness
As comfortable as you like thanks to goals from Wallace and Wanderley, but the best news came from Fir Park - Celtic had dropped points to Motherwell, meaning we'd have a five point gap at the split. 

1721838842_ClydesdaleBankPremierLeague_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.b83bc9a68e98ff1f1a53059abca4bb26.png

April & May

Scottish Cup semi final: Inverness 4-0 Queen of the South
A semi final against our feeder club, and we didn't give the First Division side a sniff. Luke James slotted us in front after 17 minutes from the spot, and Araújo nodded home from a corner before half time to settle any nerves. James again found the net in the second half, before Araújo scored one of our goals of the season from distance to seal a meeting with Celtic at the end of the season. 

SPL: Dundee United 0-2 Inverness
United haven't caused us many problems this year, and again we were just too strong for them. Araújo took his chance in an impressive display in the cup tie, so Sutherland was left on the bench, and the Brazilian scored one and made one for Ryan Gauld at Tannadice. 

SPL: Inverness 1-0 St Mirren
We had to work incredibly hard here, but David Wotherspoon's wonderful run and finish right on half time was enough for a priceless victory. 

SPL: Hibernian 2-2 Inverness
Man this was tight. Sutherland blasted us in front in the first half, but two defensive mix-ups in the second half had us staring down the barrel. It took an 88th minute Max Power finish to ensure we took something from the game, and kept our noses ahead of Celtic. 

SPL: Inverness 2-1 Falkirk
An extremely nervous day in the penultimate league game of the season. Lyle Taylor fired the visitors in front early on, where they stayed until the 47th minute, when Pepper levelled from close range. Celtic were demolishing Hibs elsewhere so we needed a goal, and 15 minutes from time we got it. Oliver Norwood curled a peach of a free kick into the top corner, and we'd got the win. We'd win the title with a win or a draw next weekend. 

SPL: Inverness 3-0 Celtic
I was prepared for drama, but in truth it didn't materialise. Celtic simply didn't show up, and we always looked in control. Wotherspoon fired us in front after 29 minutes, and then turned provider for Stuart Armstrong, who rifled in from 10 yards to double our lead before the break. I tweaked the system a little at half time to play on the break as Celtic had to get forward, and Luke James took advantage of that to slot home goal number 48 of the season with 15 minutes to play. We were champions, and in some style. 

729941934_ClydesdaleBankPremierLeague_OverviewStages-3.thumb.png.1bbcb97404846eb51f284d87d3840ede.png

7 hours ago, withnail316 said:

SPL: Inverness 3-0 Celtic
I was prepared for drama, but in truth it didn't materialise. Celtic simply didn't show up, and we always looked in control. Wotherspoon fired us in front after 29 minutes, and then turned provider for Stuart Armstrong, who rifled in from 10 yards to double our lead before the break. I tweaked the system a little at half time to play on the break as Celtic had to get forward, and Luke James took advantage of that to slot home goal number 48 of the season with 15 minutes to play. We were champions, and in some style.

You made Roddie cry. Shame on you.

Billedresultat for rod stewart cry