AI development vs User development

Ok, now im no noob, I have played these games since 97 iirc.

But I am currently in a save as Roma and doing great, bringing some youth players through nicely but I recently bought a player from Belgium who is a regen and been active in my game for 3 seasons now. He has only just played his first season in the seniors never appearing before that only playing youth games. He is 18 but already a god attribute wise. 18 for tech passing and vision, with a lot of other stats in the 14-16 range.

I have players who were from my first intake who I have trained up and have played first team football since the age of 16. Whilst being very effective their stats are nowhere near what this player has.

All my training stuff is maxed and I have acquired mostly 4.5 star coaches. I cant see how a player playing reserves football progresses quicker than someone on the first team, not only that but I have a 5* potential midfielder who in one year despite being professional hasn't progressed much.

Is this a case of inactive league players progress better? or is it a bug?

What are the personalities, media handling and determination of the players? The personalities could have a major input on the development of the players.

If you have played the player as a regular since 16 he might have become complacent and feel he have already "made it" and thus don't feel the need to fight to get better. While the other player are still "on his way up" and are not happy with where he is. I read somewhere from one of the developers that this is something that can happen. The Belgian player might have been matched better than you have done with your own youth player and have had better progression. Also remember that tutoring sometimes can give pretty extreme CA boosts if the manager is lucky and this might have happened with the Belgian. You have given quite few details regarding this, but if you feel this might be a bug then I would advise you to post it in the bugs section along with a save so SI can investigate and give you a better answer than anyone else in here.

Trust me, I have Messi and Florenzi. Most of my youth have driven or professional.

For instance, one of the players I have called up is a AMC, tutored by Messi. He has Driven personality with 19 determination. Before the tutoring he was tutored by Florenzi to get him to be considered professional.

It depends some of the regens generated in non-active leagues will come in better developed, though this tends to be the older ones that are more generated as first squad players. (18+)

If your player was generated at 15 then he'd be just the same as your youth players, but could of been one of the rarer players who gets generated with a high CA (think Rooney, Owen or if your Italian the AC Keeper Donarumma - players that are good enough for the first team at 16-18) same thing can happen with your in-take as well but it will be rare.

Could also just be that he has developed, different players develop at different rates, there is also a post around from @Seb Wassell that states for U18's training is more important than matches so throwing a 16 yo into the first team won't force him to develop especially if he is out of his depth. Could also be that your players don't have the potential your staff initially thought they did so your player has developed as much as they can, also if you are only basing it on star ratings remember these are relative to the rest of your team so if you signed better players whilst they developed their star rating would be lower than what it was (for example a 3 star player now might have been 5 stars before you bought Messi and other better players).

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

It depends some of the regens generated in non-active leagues will come in better developed, though this tends to be the older ones that are more generated as first squad players. (18+)

If your player was generated at 15 then he'd be just the same as your youth players, but could of been one of the rarer players who gets generated with a high CA (think Rooney, Owen or if your Italian the AC Keeper Donarumma - players that are good enough for the first team at 16-18) same thing can happen with your in-take as well but it will be rare.

Could also just be that he has developed, different players develop at different rates, there is also a post around from @Seb Wassell that states for U18's training is more important than matches so throwing a 16 yo into the first team won't force him to develop especially if he is out of his depth. Could also be that your players don't have the potential your staff initially thought they did so your player has developed as much as they can, also if you are only basing it on star ratings remember these are relative to the rest of your team so if you signed better players whilst they developed their star rating would be lower than what it was (for example a 3 star player now might have been 5 stars before you bought Messi and other better players).

So just to confirm that bit - training and matches are useful for all ages, but before the age of 18 training is the essential ingredient, after 18 this becomes matches (at an appropriate level).

5 hours ago, craigd84 said:

Ok, now im no noob, I have played these games since 97 iirc.

But I am currently in a save as Roma and doing great, bringing some youth players through nicely but I recently bought a player from Belgium who is a regen and been active in my game for 3 seasons now. He has only just played his first season in the seniors never appearing before that only playing youth games. He is 18 but already a god attribute wise. 18 for tech passing and vision, with a lot of other stats in the 14-16 range.

I have players who were from my first intake who I have trained up and have played first team football since the age of 16. Whilst being very effective their stats are nowhere near what this player has.

All my training stuff is maxed and I have acquired mostly 4.5 star coaches. I cant see how a player playing reserves football progresses quicker than someone on the first team, not only that but I have a 5* potential midfielder who in one year despite being professional hasn't progressed much.

Is this a case of inactive league players progress better? or is it a bug?

A couple of things to think about:

1) Different players can develop at different rates.  Some may see a fairly linear progression, others may develop early then stall, others may be late bloomers, and a hundred other possible scenarios.

2) There is a function in the game where "freakishly" good newgens can (rarely) appear - think Donnarumma and how good he has been for what, a couple of years now? and he's only just turned 19.

Cheers for the replies guys.

I have to admit that curiosity got the better of me and I looked on a scouting tool.

The player with the better attributes has 150 ca and 176 pa.

The one with the lesser attributes has 160 ca 174 pa....

Now that must be an issue... 

Or like you say maybe he was a freakishly good regent to start with.

17 minutes ago, craigd84 said:

Cheers for the replies guys.

I have to admit that curiosity got the better of me and I looked on a scouting tool.

The player with the better attributes has 150 ca and 176 pa.

The one with the lesser attributes has 160 ca 174 pa....

Now that must be an issue... 

Or like you say maybe he was a freakishly good regent to start with.

Are you comparing like for like?  Different players playing in different positions or fulfilling different roles will have not only different attributes but the weighting of those attributes will be different in the CA calculation.  A defender's Tackling will cost a lot more CA than a striker's Tackling.  Or perhaps you are comparing similar players but the spread of their attributes is different, thus the weighting again would show a variance in CA.  So an AMC with a lot of physical ability might have a different CA than a more technical AMC.  Further, more than just attributes go towards the CA calculation.  Perhaps one AMC is very two footed and has good familiarity with many different positions (which would cost a lot of CA) while another AMC doesn't share this.

15 minutes ago, craigd84 said:

Ok so the player A. Better attributes play the same positions mc and amc. But he is right footed.

Player b has more PPMS and is either footed. So I take it being two footed takes up A lot of CA then... as well as more PPMS.

Player Traits (PPMs) don't cost CA.  Being two footed does.  You also say "better attributes" but that may or may not change the CA in the manner you expect as different attributes have different weightings.

For instance player A. Has 19 first touch 15 passing 16 vision but every other stat is 11 or above except long throws marking leadership natural fitness and bravery.

Player b has...

16 first touch 15 passing but 18 vision.

Lots of stats under 11.

42 minutes ago, craigd84 said:

For instance player A. Has 19 first touch 15 passing 16 vision but every other stat is 11 or above except long throws marking leadership natural fitness and bravery.

Player b has...

16 first touch 15 passing but 18 vision.

Lots of stats under 11.

you could always play around with the editor to see values of footedness. i find it a reliable way to understand attribute costs across the board without getting confused by attributes seemingly 'freezing' and not developing

44 minutes ago, craigd84 said:

However.. i did just get one of those freakishly good youths in my last intake... sadly he is a winger. But can play up top so I will just train him up as a poacher.

if you like inside forwards its a good way to teach similar attributes for both positions :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/03/2018 at 19:55, Seb Wassell said:

So just to confirm that bit - training and matches are useful for all ages, but before the age of 18 training is the essential ingredient, after 18 this becomes matches (at an appropriate level).

Hi @Seb WassellI just want to pick up on a UI element here. In-game, the coach training report will prompt you to give players more playing time and match experience when they hit 21. You'll generally find this in your youth teams, for any players in there >20 (I've not seen it for anyone <20, but that's not to say it wouldn't happen).

Is there any reason the game prompts you to give more game time to players >20 rather than when they hit 18 if this is the sweet spot for development?

• SI Staff
14 minutes ago, fmFutbolManager said:

Hi @Seb WassellI just want to pick up on a UI element here. In-game, the coach training report will prompt you to give players more playing time and match experience when they hit 21. You'll generally find this in your youth teams, for any players in there >20 (I've not seen it for anyone <20, but that's not to say it wouldn't happen).

Is there any reason the game prompts you to give more game time to players >20 rather than when they hit 18 if this is the sweet spot for development?

It's a little more complicated under the hood, there are a few tipping points for development at various ages, but that 18 one is key for this discussion. Will look into any inconsistencies here.

Archived