Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
Scrench

What is your favourite role, and why?

Recommended Posts

I'm curious to see what are the favourite roles of other people and more importantly why they like them so much.

I'll get it started

Favourite role: CM - S

Why: The ultimate all-rounder role. Endlessly versatile and customizable, probably the most flexible role in the game that can serve as the link between attack and defense, being a B2B without being a B2B, a playmaker without being a playmaker, reliable in defense, stable in possession, active in transitions, perfectly fits in any sort of system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Defensive Forward :cool: 

If you get a player with the right attributes (aggression, bravery, teamwork, work rate, stamina) he will create pure havoc in the opposition area. Plus, he can still be a prolific goal scorer, as in my current save I use a DF/s + TM/a duo in a flat 4-4-2 and the DF scored 24 goals in all competitions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Segundo Volante for me. As for the reasons why, I did a full thread highlighting what he did :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wingback (attack)

Just love the way he gives width to my teams. I usually play him begind a IF(s) or AP(s), and it's great see him pushing forward trough the flank, get by line, and make a deadly cross to the box.

Altough they are similiar, i never liked FB(a) or CWB(a). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Defensive forward. I agree with reasons kingjericho mentioned. I also prefer when he has good Long shots attribute. If so, he is able score 20+ goals every season :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DLP

I always prefer my creators to be deeper to control the game and give them lots of forward options.  Plus i'm quite defensive minded so like them to be able to do a decent defensive job.  I would of said REG but I don't use it as often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Segundo Volante for me. There's a slight bug with it right now where on Attack duty it has "Shoot More Often" ticked but you can also tick "Shoot Less Often" at the same time, not sure if its just graphical or actually has effect in-game. But still, I really like this role.

I was struggling to make 3-3-1-3 work with Athletic Bilbao, after reading Cleon's thread and realising what it did I realised the solution to everything was to change to 343DMWB and pair my DM with an SV-A, to an instant uptick in form against the 2 striker systems that have pained me so on FM18. 

Close runner up is Complete Forward (support) which I use far more often - its popped up in almost every save I've ever had from FM16 onwards. Great either paired with a more attacking partner, an AM or for helping get the best out of an IF or Raumdeuter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CM(s) is definitely what came immediately into my head when I saw the thread title.  I was tempted to say G(d) or CD(d) (just do your job, son!) but, yeah, has to be the Central Midfielder for all the reasons OP mentioned.

I'm using a DF a bit and liking the results but it's too early to tell.

Might have to give an honorable mention to the DM(d) because in addition to the obvious defensive work, he contributes a surprising amount offensively in terms of recycling the ball.  With good Passing and Vision he can be a sort of deep playmaker without actually being a playmaker.  Maybe a PPM or two like Tries Long Range Passes.  The DM(s) gets forward too often for my liking, even with Stays Back at All Times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Defensive forward on defend duty for is the ideal forward to have when you want to play others in. The DLF and F9 pale in comparison. Instantly fell in love with the DF when he made 8 freaking key passes in one game. In all my years of FM i have never had a player make that many key passes before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DLP(s) for me. I just love when he plays a laser accurate through ball from deep to my forwards. Close behind are Shadow Strikers, because they can cause havoc in the right setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the roaming playmaker. i play a flat 442 and he is essential in being the link man all over the pitch. i always try and look for the ppms runs with ball through center and dictates play to accompany it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wide Midfielder on Attack. Plays like a Raumdeuter when the ball is on the opposite side, and a winger when it's on the same side. They defend better than either, as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mezzala, for the exotics and Poacher. These two roles are extreme polars in execution. The Mezzala, really shines when you think about how to fit other roles around him and the Poacher, he keeps things easy and simple.  It's really strange, but when I play the Poacher, he in no way epitomises the actual role of the 80s. In FM he actually plays like a modern out and out striker who is expected to keep things simple. Run wide if you don't have choices and play simple passes to keep the attack. He is especially devastating when you are playing on higher tempos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Raumdeuter - the space investigator. A bit of a winger-inside forward hybrid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rashidi said:

Mezzala, for the exotics and Poacher. These two roles are extreme polars in execution. The Mezzala, really shines when you think about how to fit other roles around him and the Poacher, he keeps things easy and simple.  It's really strange, but when I play the Poacher, he in no way epitomises the actual role of the 80s. In FM he actually plays like a modern out and out striker who is expected to keep things simple. Run wide if you don't have choices and play simple passes to keep the attack. He is especially devastating when you are playing on higher tempos.

Can you go into a bit more detail about how you can fit other roles around a Mezzala? I've tried using them, primarily in 4-3-3 systems, but never had much joy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kingjericho said:

Defensive Forward :cool: 

If you get a player with the right attributes (aggression, bravery, teamwork, work rate, stamina) he will create pure havoc in the opposition area. Plus, he can still be a prolific goal scorer, as in my current save I use a DF/s + TM/a duo in a flat 4-4-2 and the DF scored 24 goals in all competitions.

After your post i decided to test my 4123 wide DM tactic with a DF(s) instead of the CF(s) i was using.

I'm playing with Benfica, so i have in Raul Jimenez a natural DF. Nevertheless, i decided to start with Jonas, a great player but far from having the right attributes for the role.

I was amazed by change that the DF role made in my tactic. a much more simple and direct football, simple receive and pass, something that allow other players (my two wide players and my two players from the midfield) to come more into play.

The fact that the role don't have the PI to dribble more by default (like the CF and F9 have) or the PI to make more risky passes (like the DLF have), makes a great choice, imo, for single forward tactic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, JK Galgreefe said:

Can you go into a bit more detail about how you can fit other roles around a Mezzala? I've tried using them, primarily in 4-3-3 systems, but never had much joy.

I think for the better part of my Ajax save I was using a Mezzala in my system. The Mezzala explores half spaces and in my 433 systems, its important to realise that he is one of those players who helps you hold on to the ball. How we play him is the challenge.

He is a role that does more going forward than coming back, so you will find that the requirements to meet are pretty high. This player is like a playmaker but given the license to play in the half spaces, this means that he can act as a 50-50 winger or an IF, now the key here is to recognise this and play with roles that help connect the dots. The mezzala will need a strong defender behind him and he also needs someone ahead of him that can help him move around. So we need a role to his right that is also a support role. Here I favour roles that play close to the Mezzala. These include the IF(S) or the WP. Now most people shun this because for some strange reason this forum has an issue of seeing players play close together, when in reality, you find some of the best coaches telling their players to make themselves available to the pass in close quarters. This allows you to move the ball quickly through the lines. 

Naturally we want to make sure there is minimal collision, so we absolutely need both players to have good balance, off the ball, and decisions

 5aaaa9fa1cd48_ScreenShot2018-03-16at1_14_12AM.thumb.png.87d0dd237c06a1b7a092b178c9871d43.png

Here I use a Mezzala to work with with an AP on the right flank and a WB behind. This does make my right flank pretty vulnerable, so I make sure the WB is a cheetah, and if we get in trouble we use the DCB to clear the threat. By keeping the ball on the right we free up the left flank, where my Winger drops in crosses for fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

Naturally we want to make sure there is minimal collision, so we absolutely need both players to have good balance, off the ball, and decisions

You might wonder how that works...

These attributes influence how a player does when he has the ball and moves around to support others around him, they also influence how he can move the ball from left to right without losing it easily

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mezzala currently, works so well in half spaces it's amazing. defensive forward on defend is also growing on me, seems a better false 9 than an actual false 9. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JK Galgreefe said:

Can you go into a bit more detail about how you can fit other roles around a Mezzala? I've tried using them, primarily in 4-3-3 systems, but never had much joy.

I only play mezzalas in (wide) 4-3-3 systems. I do not like it next to a wide AP like @Rashidi does, I do not like my players that close together in those areas. But hey, it's nice to have different views around here, that's what develops you. With IF I really don't have much of a problem as inside forwards don't come that much inside so they don't get in each others' way that much. I had a really nice combination with mezzala on attack and a winger on support. Winger would stretch the play, giving mezzala space to attack the channel and overload their fullback, often creating 2v1 situations against him. Lot's of assists from both and the mezzala got into the box to score quite a few goals as well.

Nowadays my favourite role is probably the mezzala on attack but CM/A used to be my favourite before. So many runs ahead of the striker or late to the box to score a bunch of goals it's amazing. A bunch of assists as well, and just the overall directness of the role is awesome. Nowadays the mezzala does the same but uses the half spaces before attacking the box.

I also dislike every role that has run with ball often - and roles (wide) roles that have run wide with ball are an absolute no as it just makes players so incredibly stupid. I don't use wingers anymore, or attacking wingbacks. It's always a FB/A, WB/S, WM/A type of roles for me, and if I have to use AMR/L I use inside forwards. I can use left footers on the left as inside forwards and vice versa though, they will still tend to dribble wide rather than cut inside in those cases but vary it more and do not stupidly run towards the sideline from central positions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Keyzer Soze said:

After your post i decided to test my 4123 wide DM tactic with a DF(s) instead of the CF(s) i was using.

I'm playing with Benfica, so i have in Raul Jimenez a natural DF. Nevertheless, i decided to start with Jonas, a great player but far from having the right attributes for the role.

I was amazed by change that the DF role made in my tactic. a much more simple and direct football, simple receive and pass, something that allow other players (my two wide players and my two players from the midfield) to come more into play.

The fact that the role don't have the PI to dribble more by default (like the CF and F9 have) or the PI to make more risky passes (like the DLF have), makes a great choice, imo, for single forward tactic.

Glad you enjoyed it as much as I do. 

The downside of this role is that it can be a bit wasted if you have a creative striker, and if you don't have a player willing to work for the team you won't get its full potential, but when it works well it's a joy to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without an Anchor man in my midfield, I feel very exposed and vulnerable. Very important especially in the tough super leagues I play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the movement of RPM, when he starts from DM spot.

He's acting like a holder when we defend by cutting pass lanes, but he's creator, runner, space maker and taker in one, when we are in transition/attack phase.

On the other hand i hate CM(O) for he's rantings (and for closing down more hard coded). Even when he do hes job perfectly, balancing my whole team, hes avr ranting is never above 7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Scrench said:

I'm curious to see what are the favourite roles of other people and more importantly why they like them so much.

I'll get it started

Favourite role: CM - S

Why: The ultimate all-rounder role. Endlessly versatile and customizable, probably the most flexible role in the game that can serve as the link between attack and defense, being a B2B without being a B2B, a playmaker without being a playmaker, reliable in defense, stable in possession, active in transitions, perfectly fits in any sort of system.

CM-S is on of my favourite roles but id have to say CF-A is my favourite does a bit of everything, holds up the ball, provides assists and scores themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Favourite role: GK - I find it so difficult to win without one!

But seriously... in FM18 I'm not sure. Last year it was B2B, loved that all-action hero in midfield driving into the box to score or assist one minute, tackling back to break up a threatening move the next. I guess the SV is the supercharged version - and I love the SV. But I think I have a hankering for a good old-fashioned winger. I know everyone moans about crossing, but to those of us of a certain age, the winger was the hero of "The Beautiful Game", and always will be. When the winger - with his flash boots and elbows - beats his man (and, just for good measure goes back and beats him again) and then delivers an inch-perfect ball into the box for the on-rushing forward to smash into the net, that is the essence of football (sorry, I appear to have something in my eye).

If God wanted us to play gegenpressing and tiki-taka, He'd never have given us wingers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite role is DLP.

I use one in every tactic pretty much, either on Defend or Support duty. I just love a player that picks up the ball from defense and distributes it to the rest of the team without too much risk. Or recycles the ball and keeps your attack moving to more dangerous area. And my favorite PPMs to go along with the role are - comes deep to get ball, dictates tempo, likes to switch ball to opposite flank.

@warlock, wingers can also play tiki-taka (aka positional football) and gegenpressing. Sane at City is one example, as well as Jakub "Kuba" Blaszczykowski at Dortmund under Klopp. Pedro at Barca is another one I can think of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Rashidi I'm a little confused regarding playing mezzala beside an inside forward. I'm pretty sure that in a different thread, @Cleon mentioned specifically that inside forward will get into mezzalas space and you need to play a winger there. So which is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what's wrong with having two different approaches and two different opinions on how to play? i think cleon is a bit more absolute in wording his preferences as a football manager while rashidi, i find, is more nuanced. compare it to linguistics, rashidi will be more inclined to add 'in my opinion'. both look like logical, quite different solutions to how you can play a 433 with a mezzala

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crusadertsar said:

@Rashidi I'm a little confused regarding playing mezzala beside an inside forward. I'm pretty sure that in a different thread, @Cleon mentioned specifically that inside forward will get into mezzalas space and you need to play a winger there. So which is it?

You don't need to play a winger there it can be any role. But using a Mez and an inside forward on the same side, stop them from playing/acting how they should and they take away from each others game. What they end up doing is playing the role entirely different to what it says on the tin and the things you expect them to do. A mezz and a IF do the exact same things. 

You'll find that Rashidi has mentioned the above in a few threads too. But maybe for him, the weird behaviour of the players is exactly what he was after.

Also remember how me and Rashidi play the game, is different to how we advice those struggling and posting on the forums seeking advice. We keep it simple for those struggling or who might not have the best understanding of how stuff works. If you understand what a role does, how it changes blah blah and all the inner workings then anything is possible. Don't mistake us helping those struggling and keeping everything simple, to how we actually play at certain times. Yes we keep things simple but we also know how every single aspect will behave :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks Cleon. I'll take that into account. Maybe I have been too concrete in my role settings, trying to play them exactly how game says they should. I always worry that players will get into each others space and just act redundantly. Like advanced playmaker moving from wing to block off mezzalas runs in half space. Guess I should experiment more to see if this is actually negative outcome 

Edited by crusadertsar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anchor Man with launches in to tackle PPM and tackle harder.

*drools*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, yonko said:

@warlock, wingers can also play tiki-taka (aka positional football) and gegenpressing. Sane at City is one example, as well as Jakub "Kuba" Blaszczykowski at Dortmund under Klopp. Pedro at Barca is another one I can think of.

Aw man, don't confuse me with facts!

:kriss:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

Thanks Cleon. I'll take that into account. Maybe I have been too concrete in my role settings, trying to play them exactly how game says they should. I always worry that players will get into each others space and just act redundantly. Like advanced playmaker moving from wing to block off mezzalas runs in half space. Guess I should experiment more to see if this is actually negative outcome 

Obviously I can't see your tactic but in that specific example did you think about giving the wide AP "Stay WIder" and "Hold Position" to keep him out the way? Although like I said I can't see your tactic, perhaps that would then put him in the way of an onrushing full back or something. Just a suggestion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2018 at 00:38, warlock said:

Favourite role: GK - I find it so difficult to win without one!

But seriously... in FM18 I'm not sure. Last year it was B2B, loved that all-action hero in midfield driving into the box to score or assist one minute, tackling back to break up a threatening move the next. I guess the SV is the supercharged version - and I love the SV. But I think I have a hankering for a good old-fashioned winger. I know everyone moans about crossing, but to those of us of a certain age, the winger was the hero of "The Beautiful Game", and always will be. When the winger - with his flash boots and elbows - beats his man (and, just for good measure goes back and beats him again) and then delivers an inch-perfect ball into the box for the on-rushing forward to smash into the net, that is the essence of football (sorry, I appear to have something in my eye).

If God wanted us to play gegenpressing and tiki-taka, He'd never have given us wingers.

I bet you just love Quaresma then :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CM(A), using a player who is extremely dynamic. He can be an advanced playmaker, he can be a auxiliary striker, he can be a high presser, he can lurk just outside the box to recycle the ball and probe defences. This has always been the favourite role if you can find the right player (Erikson was a monster for me in FM17).

However, in my current style of play, it is my DM(D). He does exactly what he needs to perfectly and is the heartbeat of my side. He is the person who intercepts quick counter attacks. He provides cover for bull backs. He is the pivot around which I can turn my attacks. He is always open to recycle the ball. He can give it to more creative players in front of him or switch the ball to the flanks. He is the general in front of the defence who denies space to the opposition players who want to explore the spaces in front of my defence. He is not a sexy attacking player, but truly he is the pin that holds everything together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

CM (A), mainly two of them in a 4-3-3. With high Creative Freedom they are an absolute joy to watch! Behind that is the DLP (D), nothing more enjoyable then watching the opposition clear the ball or start a counterattack just for him to intercept and calmly recycle possession.

Edited by FlairRA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FlairRA said:

CM (A), mainly two of them in a 4-3-3. With high Creative Freedom they are an absolute joy to watch! Behind that is the DLP (D), nothing more enjoyable then watching the opposition clear the ball or start a counterattack just for him to intercept and calmly recycle possession.

With two Inverted Wingbacks behind them? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Gegenklaus said:

With two Inverted Wingbacks behind them? ;)

Nope, only one! Other side's a WB(A), or else I feel like there's too much of one thing, i.e IWB's cutting in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favourite role (with the right player) is the inverted winger.  It's an 07/08 Cristiano Ronaldo in a box.  I'm a bit surprised nobody else has mentioned it so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't say I have an overall favourite role, but I do tend to have favourite roles in individual tactics.

The Regista in my 532 Monza system runs the show and dominates the midfield; the Advanced Playmaker in my 4123DM likewise; the BWM in my 442 is fantastic at breaking up opposition attacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I like the complete wingback on attack, because they seem to play like Superman when you use a narrow formation

I also like the B2B midfielders due to the amount of goals they score

I love having DLP as my defensive midfielder when using 4-1-2-3 wide as the amount of the space they get in FM is just ridiculous, making it so easy to keep the ball moving

Edited by Carlos92

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

enganche, i love the idea of it but can never get it to work which is frustrating

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/03/2018 at 19:31, blackdevil said:

My favourite role (with the right player) is the inverted winger.  It's an 07/08 Cristiano Ronaldo in a box.  I'm a bit surprised nobody else has mentioned it so far.

Ronaldo 2009/2019 at real madrid was him taking the inverted winger to the highest level. Just go to any youtube video showing him vs any team in that season you would see him literally cutting in at evey chance and blasting at goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jyuan83 said:

Ronaldo 2009/2019 at real madrid was him taking the inverted winger to the highest level. Just go to any youtube video showing him vs any team in that season you would see him literally cutting in at evey chance and blasting at goal.

Like I said "with the right player".  In 2007/8 Cristiano played mostly from the right wing and with the inverted winger role they'll still go on the outside and get crosses in but also get into the box to get on the end of crosses from the left hand side.  And on top of that drops back to help defensively.

I'd say that at Real Madrid he was more of an inside forward role from the left AM position as he didn't drop back far enough defensively compared to what the IW does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have to say AP(S) as I always use one, no matter what tactic I currently employ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Winger - Attack

Good old fashioned beat your man and put the ball in the box. Plenty of assists and goals. Easy to keep finding them as well as the game progresses as it's a very easy position to turn a player into (pacey strikers who can dribble... full backs who can cross etc)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-03-18 at 12:40, herne79 said:

I wouldn't say I have an overall favourite role, but I do tend to have favourite roles in individual tactics.

The Regista in my 532 Monza system runs the show and dominates the midfield; the Advanced Playmaker in my 4123DM likewise; the BWM in my 442 is fantastic at breaking up opposition attacks.

@herne79 if you don't mind, may I ask what role you paired the bwm in your 442?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×