Rising stars in Portugal - Lusitano FC

MarcxD

Lusitano Futebol Clube

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor Lusitano Futebol Clube

Welcome to my new FM18 thread. I will be taking over Lusitano FC, a Portuguese club currently playing in the Campeonato de Portugal, the third tier. I had wanted to start a new career for a while now but I did not really know what to do. In the end I decided that it would be fun to manage in Portugal, since I have never really done that before. The choice of club here is pretty random, although I do like the logo.

This save is going to be a pretty straightforward one club save, where the aim will be to take the club to Champions League glory.

As far as player recruitment is concerned, I will limit myself somewhat, similar to what the plan was with my Tenerife save. I will allow myself to buy players, but only from certain nationalities. In the Tenerife save this was kinda vague, so for this career I have picked 15 countries to buy from. They are all smaller football nations and are picked because I like them or they are a Portuguese speaking nation.

They are:

Spoiler
  • Andorra (Obviously)
  • Angola
  • Aruba
  • Bonaire
  • Cape Verde
  • Curacao
  • Guinea-Bissau
  • Kosovo
  • Luxembourg
  • Macau
  • Madagascar
  • Malta
  • Mozambique
  • San Marino
  • Zanzibar

I will scout these nations and have a search filter for these nations so that it will be easy to keep track of the players with these nationalities. To make sure these nations even have players they are loaded in the database.

As always I will also focus on the development of youth players from our own intake.

The club is a fully professional side, and at the start we are spending €500K p/a on wages (with a budget of 580K). There's a transfer budget of €1K.

The Portuguese third tier has some player rules:

V71XOhT.png

No actual foreign player limit, just the 12 players trained by a club in Portugal. Interestingly there aren't that many Portuguese players in my squad to start out with, a lot of foreigners (mostly from Brazil and Italy). Because of this limit and the fact that are actual too few of these at the club I will have to sign a few for the first season at least, probably loan players.

Enjoy the thread.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pre-Season 2017

CW9g28S.png

Not much possible yet, and while I had wanted to get rid of some awful players at the club that did not happen. The permanent transfer is a Cape Verdean midfielder, the loanees are Portuguese to get us to the 12 players trained in Portugal.

Q5f2hgt.png

OoXqJzN.png

Predicted to finish 7th in our sub-league of the Campeonato, which means a 36th place overall. There are 5 groups of 16 teams, the bottom 6 of each league gets relegated while the #1 qualifies for a tournament through which you can get promoted. So not too easy to get to the 2nd tier!

nzFQXms.png

Did pretty well in the friendlies, but most of the teams we faced are lower league.

September 2017

VLQQXMm.png

Well, a much better start than I had expected. Perfect in the league, but defeated in the second round of the cup. Since that was only what was expected of me in that competition it's not too bad.

0zMg92t.png

One of three teams that are on perfect runs so far in our group.

Nice. I was wondering which Lusitano this was, as there's more than one club named Lusitano. ;) This one is based on the V ila Real de Santo António coastal town right next to the Spanish border in the Algarve, I drove past that the other week!

Good luck.

15 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Nice. I was wondering which Lusitano this was, as there's more than one club named Lusitano. ;) This one is based on the V ila Real de Santo António coastal town right next to the Spanish border in the Algarve, I drove past that the other week!

Good luck.

It makes sense that there are more.  

Thank you for the information! 

4 minutes ago, JonasThern said:

The first logo is for Lusitano Vildemoinhos. Its a different club.

Good luck.

Ah, yeah, I see that you're right. I thought they were the same since they both say founded in 1916.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Dexter_Morgan said:

Very tight up there. Good start

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Sheriff7 said:

Good luck mate..:thup:Do they have any connection with Andorran Lusitanos fc? 

Thank you, No they don't. I'm pretty sure Lusitan is just a way to refer to Portugal or Portuguese people, and the Andorran club is focussed on the Portuguese people living in Andorra. I found out on wikipedia the old Roman province which contained most of Portugal was called Lusitania. You can learn something new every day :)

2 hours ago, MarcxD said:

Cheers.

Thank you, No they don't. I'm pretty sure Lusitan is just a way to refer to Portugal or Portuguese people, and the Andorran club is focussed on the Portuguese people living in Andorra. I found out on wikipedia the old Roman province which contained most of Portugal was called Lusitania. You can learn something new every day :)

You are right.

Should be more interesting if you have choose more country with portuguese language, like sao tome & principe and timor.

But only in Primeira Liga and Segunda Liga you will have capacity to buy players from these countries, but they will not have capacity to play in your squad.

Beware of Farense and nice game with Olhanense

10 hours ago, TH3 K1LL3R said:

You are right.

Should be more interesting if you have choose more country with portuguese language, like sao tome & principe and timor.

But only in Primeira Liga and Segunda Liga you will have capacity to buy players from these countries, but they will not have capacity to play in your squad.

Beware of Farense and nice game with Olhanense

Cheers, yeah I thought about adding all portuguese-speaking countries but I wanted to limit the amount so that it would be easy to keep track of them.

Thank you!

6 hours ago, oriole01 said:

I love a good save in Portugal, and it looks like you're already having fun with it so far. Good luck!

Yeah, enjoying it so far. Cheers!

3 hours ago, Muttley84 said:

Doing a save in Portugal also so would be following this. Though you seem to be moving a lot faster, as I am spending over a week now just searching for players haha...

Who are you managing?

My squad was already pretty stacked with players although I did not know how good they were for the level, just wanted to get going really.

January 2018

HO2J0nm.png

The month started well with a new contract.

e2mqgKE.png

Three of the South Americans were let go.

bvZNj6p.png

I got in a new Angolan winger, but otherwise it was really tough to get anyone in. We're leaking money and the board won't allow me to pay players more than 12.5K p/a so building the squad for next season might be interesting.

NVpsv5d.png

Not really a great month.

coOEZdb.png

Down to third now, but all is still very close between the top 4. We are clearly the team with most goals scored but concede twice as much as our competitors.

February 2018

Oj87fYA.png

A much better month this time around, with an important win against Olhanense.

biPIg8o.png

In second now but Farense seems to be running away with things slightly, as @TH3 K1LL3R warned..

The transfer period actually continued until the end of February but I didn't do any further business.

Youth Intake 2018

jCgOSAZ.png

I didn't expect anything since I hadn't even changed the HoYD and most of these are absolutely awful but it could've been worse.

6b8OpJt.png

Certainly no world beater but could be allright for this level. When he gets to his peak I hope we'll be far beyond this level though.

Lg0mLLt.png

Pretty decent if he can grow a bit more than is expected of him now.

April 2018

vA6Krdc.png

Choke..... Farense did poorly this month, so if we won the game against 3rd placed Pinhalnovense we could've really made a push.

WtClDjN.png

But like this it means we dropped down to third, 2 points behind Farense and 1 behind Pinhalnovense......... who got a play-off spot as one of the 3 best #2's. 

:seagull:

Season Review 2017-2018

A third place is not that bad in the first season, but when you look at what was possible it is a disappointing result.

z6k47Nh.png

Just to make tht point Pinhalnovense went on to win the full Campeonato and are promoted. Farense was unable to do so.

SD7SvmX.png

Some fantastic performances, but most of the best players were on loan, notably Pepo and Rigazzi.

rfS5t5t.png

Pepo was named second best player of the season.

09hbjxY.png

As you can see most contracts will be ending so next season we'll have a very different looking squad. I will retain some of the loan players, now on permanent deals and of course I will look what will be possible elsewhere on the transfer market.

Pre-Season 2018

mx5gxPi.png

A lot of outgoings when you add the players whose contracts ended. A big sale in Contaldo, an italian prospect. I've got 50% future fee (also for Baldé) so a pretty good deal. Of the Incoming players some are of the 15 nations, most are Portuguese though, because of the match rules and player knowledge.

The team should be stronger than last year.

eQcZQda.pngg99kFNf.png

Better predictions than last year, still not predicted to make the play-offs though. That will definitely be the goal.

ZT2gDdp.png

A remarkable pre-season, the assman arranged friendlies against much better opposition and remarkably we managed to beat Düsseldorf and Recreativo.

I'm confident for this season, should be a good one.

August-September 2018

DE6oJrR.png

A strong start in the league with a remarkable 5-0 win over Farense, but we lost in the first round of the cup. We were one of a number of teams who still went through to the second round, but we lost again.

FKBOQLZ.png

The Campeonato de Portugal went from 5 leagues of 16 to 4 leagues of 18. The top 2 qualify for play-offs now.

January 2019

cPr5H33.png

Another very strong month even though we were kept to a draw by Farense.

prBVPT3.png

Huge 11 point lead now, the title should definitely be ours.

I didn't get any new players in, but I sold one player.

GiuW2hI.png

Youth Intake 2019

hSlGdLm.png

Well, a bunch of foreign nationalities including two Angolans, so that's good. But the quality not so much.

xCwAOJa.png

Maybe? I guess?

rsjftMd.png

Hopefully a bit more growth than predicted, the only one with 1* CA anyway.

Play-Offs

gqvlp6L.png

First a club takeover took place,

7fZgJMp.png

And I got another one-year extension.

gFriLSB.png

We went on to win the whole thing! Second tier coming up next season :)

CCT2JON.png

The u19s actually won their league as well.

Season Review 2018-2019

A very good season which got me and my players a couple of awards:

1fdM57A.png

3rd in most assists for Luís Nogueira, a fantastic young winger certainly for the level

bBNsWKl.png

He won the young player of the year. While the AML on loan got second.

LBR0EXq.png

Young striker Zé Pedro got third in topscorer, a bit behind #1 though.

oeNpq46.png

5 of my players in the best eleven of the league, including almost the complete defense.

17RdMIM.png

I won the manager of the year.

VHduJSD.png

A little bit more rotation this year, while there were much less players under contract than last year. 

fUhApBz.png

With what's possible financially I'll be looking to strengthen the squad for the step up, but I am kinda in the dark how much a step up it's going to be. Probably quite a big one.

Pre-Season 2019

OfTtBAu.png

A new league means a different reality, we're predicted to finish bottom and get relegated. The bottom two get relegated so the goal realistically will be top 16. We got quite a bit higher budgets and a tv money package of 1.5M which should help with the finances.

VNPfZ1t.png

Last year's rising star Nogueira was sold, his limited fee was a bit low so I had to let him go for this amount. Incoming are a variety of players, the permanent transfers except for Pontes are from Angola, Cape Verde & Guinea-Bissau, while loanee Sualehe is from Mozambique. 

eNvfWYj.png

The match rules for the league are quite different. At least 3 u23, easy enough, and now at least 3 players trained in portugal, quite a big drop from 12 in the third tier. We also now have a maximum squad size of 53(!) compared with the 30 last year.

cPTYr8j.png

The friendlies went very well, including two games against foreign opposition. When we played HSV I only had about 15 players in the first team squad so almost keeping them to a draw was a fantastic result. The only disappointing thing really was to go out in the first game in the League Cup.

August 2019

E1LFX5Y.png

A remarkable start in the league with a 5-1 over Trofense who had beaten us in July in the League cup, followed by a remarkable win over Sporting B thanks to two very late goals. The next two games quickly put an end to any illusion that this was going to be an easy season. Still though, 6 points is not too bad of a start.

SxIM6ZM.png

Mid-table, hopefully we can stay there.

September 2019

KjKUIP9.png

Wow, what a month!! Perfect, 3 league wins and a huge cup win. Crazy stuff..

1j527vz.png

In the promotion spots :lol:

TvEbSXk.png

Firmino won player of the month with some great performances, quite surprised to be honest that he's doing so well at this level.

kIuKPtG.png

I got second in manager of the month.

October 2019

HBzppPT.png

Another very good month in the league, disappointed to go out in the cup though, against third tier opposition.

tuzjZxw.png

Still in second, it's remarkable to see how we scoe the most goals in the league by far.

November 2019

nITMR6B.png

Only the 2 games this month, not the most convincing of performances but 4 points nonetheless keeps us up there.

2PpBph7.png

A lot of teams closely behind us so we'll have to keep up our form.

December 2019

AdHTE3V.png

A very strong month with a win over #1 Benfica B, but it crashed in the end with a huge loss at home to Porto B.

QAYf69i.png

Still in first though, and a big 7 points lead on Arouca (the 3rd non-B team) so we're looking good for promotion halfway through the season.

With everything going so well and the better financial position for the first time I asked for some improvements, which should come in steady from this point on...

4KEEw2Y.pngyboc2Kr.png

80EFfuO.png

I also signed a new deal, and 

Zabgtf0.png

I got third in manager of the month.

January 2020

dgUAFwj.png

I signed two players, and the first time I paid money for a new player. Both of these are from Luxembourg, another Luxembourger will join in the summer.

5J3Sy57.png

A perfect January.

RZn7915.png

In first now! Wow.

c0ryt84.png

Young rising star... Rosendo got player of the month while new arrival Carlson got third. 

21jWdt9.png

I got another manager of the month trophy as well.

February 2020

T1BzpjK.png

Except for a shocking 0-3 against Oliveirense another fantastic month, really going much better than I could've hoped for

VVcKmyh.png

Really the only question is if we're going to win the thing, because promotion is pretty much sure. 10 more games to play, and a lead of 17 points (!!!) to Arouca, the 3rd best non-B team right now.

FSukMOI.pngLVCgH9f.png

Sporting B had a better month than us so no award this time around.

Archived