The worst FM I've ever played

FM 18 is by far the most unrealistic, inconsistent football manager I've ever played.

Bought the game the other day because I liked the look of the additions to the game and now I wish I hadn't bothered.

I'm managing Oxford City in the Vanarama South. First season I finished 13th which was above expectation. Second season I finished 3rd. This third season I'm 39 matches in and sit in 8th.

Every season no matter what, my team has completely capiculated and fallen apart. First season I couldn't get a win in the second half of the season despite being 1st from the opening day.

Second season I was 1st most of the season but with 7 games to go, my team fell apart, losing every game and dropping into the play offs which as you can probably guess I lost.

This 3rd season, I started well, winning 7 out of my first 8 matches and sitting in 2nd at Christmas, one or two points from the top. Since then my team has once again fallen apart and I've now lost 7 in a row.

My team is one of the strongest in the division, with my strikers having above average stats in effectively all areas (pace, determination, finishing and work rate). Despite this, all of them miss their chances and fail to score.

I switch tactics when form drops and play a different system. I have a good understanding of football tactically and how instructions work along with mentality.

This last game I played, I had 9 shots on target to my opponents 3. My keeper is above average with good stats and morale but conceded all 3 shots on target with my opponents keeper resembling De Gea and saving everything.

I'm at the point where I've basically given up with the game within a week of buying it, so inconsistent and unrealistic in comparison to prior games.5aa2749e9407e_WorstFMever.thumb.jpg.818896bceba956726abbc95e3a470e0d.jpg

Changing tactics that the team is not used to is doomed to get you poor results.

Blips in form happen IRL too, remember when Chelsea were champions and the next season they finished 7th? Or Real Madrid winning the league and barely scraping 3rd place this season?

If you see your team in poor form try to do change something, but don't do a 180º turn! Take some players in poor form out of the starting XI, have a team meeting, focus your match preparation on the opponent's weak points, etc.

The game isn't unrealistic just because you're losing

As your team starts to play better AI teams will play more defensive which should force you into altering how you play slightly

Wholesale changes probably won't help but you may need to tweak what you're already doing in order to get goals against teams who sit back

it isn't the fact that I lose matches which makes me label it as unrealistic. Every football team loses matches, its the fact that every season, the team falls apart and look like a completely different team from the first half of the season. 

That's what my original point was

Teams might be playing differently against you due to your high league position which makes your tactic not as effective as it was at the beginning of the season

Try slowing down your temp maybe or ask your playing to roam from positions if you're penning them in 

38 minutes ago, PaulAtk17 said:

I don't need to play the demo, I've played FM for years and have played well in games prior which I feel are more realistic and consistent

And you say you hated this one.  If you'd tried the demo you'd have likely realised that and saved yourself the money.

2 hours ago, PaulAtk17 said:

I don't need to play the demo, I've played FM for years and have played well in games prior which I feel are more realistic and consistent

Or, the AI is getting a bit better every year. It sounds like you have the common issue where, in after Jan, teams are more defensive.

Just now, HUNT3R said:

Or, the AI is getting a bit better every year. It sounds like you have the common issue where, in Jan, teams are more defensive.

okay I hadn't heard of that or seen that before, thank you

19 hours ago, PaulAtk17 said:

okay I hadn't heard of that or seen that before, thank you

At the start of a season, if teams are more attacking, they will give you space to exploit. If you are doing well, and they are more defensive you have to create space yourself. The latter is always more difficult than the former. Adapting to have to create your own space after having it given to you is one of the hardest things in the game. This, I think, is the main reason why people see their successful tactic stop working after some sustained success. I'd check out some of the threads in the tactics forum, if you want tips or ideas on how to do this. It never hurts to try to add new ways to do things to your tactical arsenal.

On 09/03/2018 at 12:29, PaulAtk17 said:

that's a good point, so you'd just playing a similar formation to what they know but more tinker with the instructions and team mentatlity?

If you need advice I suggest you post your doubts in the Tactics & Training forum. Sometimes something simple as changing mentality, or changing one or two player roles can be enough to make a tactic click.

On 09/03/2018 at 12:37, Joef599 said:

That's what my original point was

Teams might be playing differently against you due to your high league position which makes your tactic not as effective as it was at the beginning of the season

Try slowing down your temp maybe or ask your playing to roam from positions if you're penning them in 

I'm always had a problem with this philosphy in football Manager, it does make complete sense - but it seems to be a little bit too skewed compared to real life - I mean, Man City have a distinct style of play, but they depsite this, they haven't capitulated due to opposition knowing this. Football Manager has always taken this concept, while correct to a bit of an extreme, same with all the big teams - bayern, barca, juve - They have a definded systems most of the time, it's their quality of players that shine through regardless of oppostion. Like, so what if you know how Man City play, doesn't mean you can stop them if you're players, coaching, conditioning etc. aren't as good. It also suggests that the AI upon switching to tactics that counter what you do coz you're doing well, are somehow, instantly adept at doing just that, which again, kinda goes again RL and FM philosphy - oh well, programming can only do so much.

I actually haven't bought the game this year, trying to decide if I want to get into it this late, I have an itch for some in depth coaching

I've played em all since 97/98 and I would say it's probably the worst match engine but the game itself is pretty good.  Too many stupid things happen in matches and I find results to be very, very predictable but it's harsh to write the whole game off as bad.  Many of the features are really good. Genuinely terrible match engine however.

I really get the impression that Manager, to an extent, predetermines your result then kind of mashes the match engine in to what it wants you to get, to keep it 'interesting' or whatever.   There were also far too many goals in the initial release so they've had to absolutely cripple finishing to keep scorelines in check.

3 hours ago, matt9t said:

I really get the impression that Manager, to an extent, predetermines your result then kind of mashes the match engine in to what it wants you to get, to keep it 'interesting' or whatever.   There were also far too many goals in the initial release so they've had to absolutely cripple finishing to keep scorelines in check.

Must be the reason why every fansite/ FM community offers tactics that not only get teams converting up to every 4th overall seasonal attempt (when the average in real football is every 10th, and even big chances in the box are mostly at best 50/50 chances), but also breaking all scoring records. Which is no much surprise if you look at the type of space that is created over and over. Naturally, that's actually exploiting a genuinelly game flaw. :D There is no predetermination the way you suggest. That's a non-flaw, has never been. Making it up is actually distracting from the truly flaws the game has, it also means you are lost to ever learning how the game works. After all, by going with such, against all that evidence, you are settling for that nothing you would do would make much of a difference. I have not played since CM 97, but that I do know with certainty.

Archived