Struggling playing away from home

I am having trouble playing away from home in FM 18, four seasons in a Werder Bremen save and I'm kinda rubbish away, I am improving slightly season after season, but still, struggling. And this hinder my ability  to challenge for the tile. 

Now, I started a save with Espanyol and the same problem persists, I was able to win against Real Madrid at home, but I can't play well at home and I don't know how I still was able to win one away game.

I've tried being careful, but within 10 minutes my team concedes a goal, and if I go and try to revert it, I usually can't create anything and even when I'm overloading, my team usually doesn't can't great real danger. I tried to be extra carefully, but within 10 minutes, I concede a gol. I tried to play toe to toe, but generally I lose. I was able to snatch some draws through the sheer force of overload in the 10 last minutes, but I don't believe this is a healthy approach.

What are your away strategies?

2 minutes ago, henri.melo00 said:

I have a 4-1-4-1 setup like this, and it didn't make any effects for me.

Try my Dortmund tactic. Its VERY solid away from home.  433 with intensity.

I called the thread yellow and black domination.

Ive won lots of leagues and cups as other teams but that was a particularly good underdog one.

4 hours ago, henri.melo00 said:

I am having trouble playing away from home in FM 18, four seasons in a Werder Bremen save and I'm kinda rubbish away, I am improving slightly season after season, but still, struggling. And this hinder my ability  to challenge for the tile. 

Now, I started a save with Espanyol and the same problem persists, I was able to win against Real Madrid at home, but I can't play well at home and I don't know how I still was able to win one away game.

I've tried being careful, but within 10 minutes my team concedes a goal, and if I go and try to revert it, I usually can't create anything and even when I'm overloading, my team usually doesn't can't great real danger. I tried to be extra carefully, but within 10 minutes, I concede a gol. I tried to play toe to toe, but generally I lose. I was able to snatch some draws through the sheer force of overload in the 10 last minutes, but I don't believe this is a healthy approach.

What are your away strategies?

I do not change anything when playing away from home. I adapt to what is actually happening in the game rather than just home vs. away systems. Anyway, firstly I would check if you are actually doing much worse away than at home. Obviously home advantage is a thing, so you cannot expect to get quite as good results away from home. Secondly, what goes wrong? Does the opposition control the ball much more? Are you not getting out from your own half? Identify the problem you have in terms of what is happening on the pitch, that's the way to correct it. If you are worried that your team might struggle on the road when facing a strong opponent, you can play a bit more cautiously but an important thing to remember is that you should not change much.

Is your standard approach working well when playing at home? Then there shouldn't be a reason why it would not work away as well. If you think you might struggle in a certain match away, you can tweak your tactic to take fewer risks, such as dropping an attacking fullback onto support, reducing passing to shorter etc but do not venture far off from your standard system if it works for you. In the end, that is the tactic your players are used and that works for your players (provided that the tactic is built in a way that suits your team in the first place) so changing too many things just means that your players a) do not know what to do (poor tactical familiarity) and/or b) do not have the right attributes for that kind of play.

On 09/03/2018 at 01:57, juusal said:

I do not change anything when playing away from home. I adapt to what is actually happening in the game rather than just home vs. away systems. Anyway, firstly I would check if you are actually doing much worse away than at home. Obviously home advantage is a thing, so you cannot expect to get quite as good results away from home. Secondly, what goes wrong? Does the opposition control the ball much more? Are you not getting out from your own half? Identify the problem you have in terms of what is happening on the pitch, that's the way to correct it. If you are worried that your team might struggle on the road when facing a strong opponent, you can play a bit more cautiously but an important thing to remember is that you should not change much.

Is your standard approach working well when playing at home? Then there shouldn't be a reason why it would not work away as well. If you think you might struggle in a certain match away, you can tweak your tactic to take fewer risks, such as dropping an attacking fullback onto support, reducing passing to shorter etc but do not venture far off from your standard system if it works for you. In the end, that is the tactic your players are used and that works for your players (provided that the tactic is built in a way that suits your team in the first place) so changing too many things just means that your players a) do not know what to do (poor tactical familiarity) and/or b) do not have the right attributes for that kind of play.

I usually don't bother changing too, but this only happen when I feel that my team is ready to fight for the champions league spots in the season. I am actually trying to do this this season with Bremen, after failing to use a tactic like yesteryear RB Leipzig (high-intensity press based on counter-football) last season. But, my results are only meagerly evolving, so, I am questioning with this meager improvement on away form is just coincidental or a sign of evolution. But when I started another save with Espanyol and the problem persisted, I thought that maybe I was doing something wrong in this new version.

Archived