Sports Interactive Community
KingMario85

How to manage a club!?

I must be blind because I can't see anywhere when loading a new game and choosing a team to manage, how I can actually manage a team!? Where's the option that says 'Pick club to manage'!?

Please can someone point out to me the obvious of obvious and tell me how I can select a club to manage?

I double-checked my settings and the option 'Prevent teams which already have managers from being controlled' is unticked! 

FM18.jpg

FM18-2.jpg

I'm guessing he's checking teams before creating a manager profile. You know, the tutorial exists to be helpful for newbies, not for the seasoned veterans.

15 hours ago, BenitoBendito said:

Hit the “Start Game” and all be be revealed. 

The club screenshot is after 'Start Game' has been pressed and all the leagues loaded. Where's the button to pick the club to manage?

4 hours ago, kingjericho said:

I'm guessing he's checking teams before creating a manager profile. You know, the tutorial exists to be helpful for newbies, not for the seasoned veterans.

Manager profile has been created, leagues loaded etc. The club page is the one I see after all that. P.S. I've been playing Championship Manager since 97/98, and all FMs since. I just can't understand what I've BLATANTLY done wrong during this process, if it's so obvious I can't see it, or something is indeed a miss!?

Looking at your first screen, you may of selected the option "Start as unemployed manager". May be worth starting over again ensuring either no team is selected or unemployed option is not selected. Only thing I can think of mate.

3 hours ago, qwerty22 said:

There is an option of “prevent clubs with managers to be managed” when setting up the game, Uncheck this

It's unchecked, but still have this issue. No idea!!

41 minutes ago, KingMario85 said:

It's unchecked, but still have this issue. No idea!!

From your screenshot it looks like you have selected to start off as an un-employed manager, if this is what you wanted then you will need to apply for jobs as they become vacant you can view the vacant jobs from the job centre icon on the sidebar, to get more job options you'll need to continue the game.

If you wanted to take control of a certain team from the start, then from the FM menu select 'Add New Manager' and then follow the screens to either create a fresh manager or reuse your initial profile, once your profile is created you should get to a screen that allows you to select which team you want to manage.

After you have done that switch over to your first manager and retire him from the Home -> My Profile -> Retire option to remove your unemployed manager from the game.

Also if this is your first time playing the game you can turn on the help system by clicking the ? mark on the top right of the screen, and there is also an online manual here that you can refer to:

https://community.sigames.com/manual/

13 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

From your screenshot it looks like you have selected to start off as an un-employed manager, if this is what you wanted then you will need to apply for jobs as they become vacant you can view the vacant jobs from the job centre icon on the sidebar, to get more job options you'll need to continue the game.

If you wanted to take control of a certain team from the start, then from the FM menu select 'Add New Manager' and then follow the screens to either create a fresh manager or reuse your initial profile, once your profile is created you should get to a screen that allows you to select which team you want to manage.

After you have done that switch over to your first manager and retire him from the Home -> My Profile -> Retire option to remove your unemployed manager from the game.

Also if this is your first time playing the game you can turn on the help system by clicking the ? mark on the top right of the screen, and there is also an online manual here that you can refer to:

https://community.sigames.com/manual/

I'll take screenshots (later today as I'm currently at work) at each stage to show you what's going on as I'm following all these steps, yet it skips the select team to manage screen, and goes straight to the game having loaded with me being unemployed.

1 minute ago, KingMario85 said:

I'll take screenshots (later today as I'm currently at work) at each stage to show you what's going on as I'm following all these steps, yet it skips the select team to manage screen, and goes straight to the game having loaded with me being unemployed.

What he is referring to is before you press start game. From the start screen when you press "New career" it will show on the top part of the screen if you are starting unemployed or what team you are taking over.

Here:

04-Decrease-number-of-leagues-2.jpg?resi

I hope someone on the UI team sees this thread. You know you're in trouble when players can't even start the game without asking what to do.

10 hours ago, KingMario85 said:

Here it is.....

Every step along the way of me starting a Career game, and not seeing an option anywhere to pick a club to manage..... instead I am just taken to the game as an unemployed manager, having to apply for a job available as opposed to choosing one when starting.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Hmm...then I don't know. If I do the same and get here:

DQuFsfP.png

And then press "Use profile" I get this screen:

J1jhium.png

If you don't get this screen then something must be wrong. Does it work if you don't use any custom files (as in your second screenshot)? If it works then it might be something with the custom file. Other than that I'm out of ideas.

5 minutes ago, XaW said:

Hmm...then I don't know. If I do the same and get here:

DQuFsfP.png

And then press "Use profile" I get this screen:

J1jhium.png

If you don't get this screen then something must be wrong. Does it work if you don't use any custom files (as in your second screenshot)? If it works then it might be something with the custom file. Other than that I'm out of ideas.

I knew I wasn't missing something obvious! I've NEVER seen that screen!! What's going on!? Plz can someone from SI help me out here!?

8 minutes ago, KingMario85 said:

I knew I wasn't missing something obvious! I've NEVER seen that screen!! What's going on!? Plz can someone from SI help me out here!?

Have you tried without the custom files? I know it's a long shot, but try it with just England added or something just to verify it's got nothing to do with the custom files.

5 minutes ago, XaW said:

Have you tried without the custom files? I know it's a long shot, but try it with just England added or something just to verify it's got nothing to do with the custom files.

you were right! it was because I had custom files added! does that mean that from FM18 onwards we will not be able to select clubs to manage if we install custom files like new leagues? we can only pick clubs to manage that are from the officially licensed FM leagues? Otherwise, we'll have to start unemployed if we install custom leagues? Bugger!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

4 minutes ago, KingMario85 said:

you were right! it was because I had custom files added! does that mean that from FM18 onwards we will not be able to select clubs to manage if we install custom files like new leagues? we can only pick clubs to manage that are from the officially licensed FM leagues? Otherwise, we'll have to start unemployed if we install custom leagues? Bugger!

Great! Then you know it's the custom files you are using. I have a lot of custom files as well, but it works for me. It might be the files have errors in them. I think you should contact whoever created the files and ask them if they have a newer version or something like it. It could be they were created before the 18.3 database version and they need to be updated by the creator in order to work. But this is just me guessing. If the creator don't have any idea, then I would advise posting it in the bugs sections. I think SI would like to take a look at the files in that case, so please add them, or at least a link to them if you are posting!

Hopefully you will be able to play in your custom leagues one way or another!

Edited by XaW

1 minute ago, XaW said:

Great! Then you know it's the custom files you are using. I have a lot of custom files as well, but it works for me. It might be the files have errors in them. I think you should contact whoever created the files and ask them if they have a newer version or something like it. It could be they were created before the 18.3 database version and they need to be updated by the creator in order to work. But this is just me guessing. If the creator don't have any idea, then I would advise posting it in the bugs sections. I think SI would like to take a look at the files in that case, so please add them, or at least a link to them if you are posting!

Hopefully you will be able to play in your custom leagues one way or another!

cheers mate! will follow your advise! :)