Biggest game of all my time playing FM... tactical help plz!

So its 2020 and my Everton team is second in Premiership with 75 points. Man U has won it already (surprise! surprise!) but I have greater prize in mind. We will be facing Barcelona in Champions League Final on May 30! And this is only our first year in Champions League. I don't know whether it was luck or my tactics but I sure don't want to mess this up so I would love tips on how to face Barca's traditional 4-3-3 . In group stage I beat them once (3-0) and tied (2-2). I've been using traditional 4-4-2 all season but I'm not sure if thats the best formation to counter 4-3-3. I'm really nervous as I never won Champions League with any team in all my 5 years (and 1000s of hours) of playing football manager games.

PS: I never even expected to get this far with my pretty average Everton team. I didn't make many changes to the original roster. Only adding Kieren Tierney, Petagna (Italian targetman) and Florin Andone as Inside Forward, so no world beaters in our team.

49 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Why do you think you need to do anything different?  You've reached the CL final, are 2nd in the league and already beaten + drawn with Barcelona.  That's not luck :thup:.

Okay thanks :) I'll try to be more confident. Will try to treat as any regular game and not to change the tactic too much 

Agreed, no reason to make changes NOW. But what you can do is ensure everyone is fit and mentally ready. I'd even go so far as to say to ignore a pre-match team talk entirely, then issue one at half-time that will get them fired up.

I've had the pre-match talk backfire in big games before.

Don't overthink, and just enjoy the game.

If you are playing with Everton, and after 5 years are already fighting for domestic titles and reaching the CL final, then you know what you are doing for sure.

So, enjoy the game, watch it in full highlights, drink a beer or a glass of a good red wine. Prepare something special so that the game will be memorable, despite the result.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll try to enjoy it as much as I can, win or lose. I'm already planning to watch it in full with a pint of Belgian beer. Hopefully tonight will have a screen shot with the good news. Will need to watch the FA Cup final first, against Man U. I don't have much hope for win there, as Man U had been my toughest opponent in the league.  I actually felt relief when Barca beat them in semis of Champions so I wouldn't have to face them. But who knows maybe I'll be bragging about a double tonight lol although I don't think I ever heard of a team winning the domestic cup and Champions League without winning the league 

3 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

I lost :( It was an epic of a match. 2-2 but lost in penalties. Oh well theres always next season. Getting one over Man United was awesome though

Unlucky.  Drawing 2-2 in the CL Final should however show you that you have what it takes to compete with the best, so there is no shame in that loss.

And it could have been worse - I was 2-0 up in a CL Final recently against PSG.  They scored a goal from a corner after an hour, but we were still ok.  Then Neymar - in the 92nd minute - scored the equaliser.  It went to extra time, Neymar scored again and that was the final score.  We lost 3-2 having been 30 seconds away from winning. :mad:

5 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

I lost :( It was an epic of a match. 2-2 but lost in penalties. Oh well theres always next season. Getting one over Man United was awesome though

Next year, you'll be back to try again!

Great job anyway, and congrats on beating Man United in the FA Cup final.

Il y a 7 heures, crusadertsar a dit :

Deception for sure but you still went toe-to-toe with them.  Great results nonetheless.  Congrats on that Manchester win! and as for Barcelona, next year you'll be even better!

Yeah deception for sure but had some amazing highlights. A beauty of a goal from Florin Andone from a pinpoint pass from Klaasen in first to break the deadlock, then Barca tied it before end of half. Then finally late in 2nd. Klaasen scored again from a header that resulted following a scramble after a corner. Barcelon tied it with 10 minutes left in game. Penalties were actually favouring us after Pickford saved a shot from Suarez. But Oumar Niasse missed the winning penalty :( im still regretting subbing Sandro for him in 60th minute. But who knows maybe we never would have scored that second goal without Oumar. He has always been clutch backup for me, scoring and assisting important goals with his sheer physicality, despite his so-so technical attributes. And Sandro was having a bad game with 6.3 rating. Anyway I'll try to move on and improve my team for next season. I'm a bit concerned that they might be aging and maybe I was getting their best this season. Thank you everyone for following and supporting me in this journey 

6 hours ago, herne79 said:

Unlucky.  Drawing 2-2 in the CL Final should however show you that you have what it takes to compete with the best, so there is no shame in that loss.

And it could have been worse - I was 2-0 up in a CL Final recently against PSG.  They scored a goal from a corner after an hour, but we were still ok.  Then Neymar - in the 92nd minute - scored the equaliser.  It went to extra time, Neymar scored again and that was the final score.  We lost 3-2 having been 30 seconds away from winning. :mad:

Man that's heartbreaking. I would be so mad

Archived