Sports Interactive Community

Hi,

I know this has been discussed before but my previous thread kind of went a little off track so I would like a bit of help once again.

Now that the winter update has been released I've gone back to try and start my Liverpool save from the beginning. I've once again lined up with my favoured 4-1-2-3 and what I really want to know is....... Am I likely to continue facing the same issues I have done upto now? The issue being scoring goals. Defensively we are very sound with 4 clean sheets in 4 games. The problem is 3 of those 4 games have been 0-0 draws. The other game was a 3-0 victory but I didn't feel convinced by our attacking play.

I have lined up as below:

20180306185909_1.thumb.jpg.36da5609d6ef144b8b72f7db7e7255ea.jpg

I want to play with inside forwards as I think that suits my team best. I have gone with a standard mentality as my wide players are already advanced so I didn't want to push them up further. Fluid shape is to encourage the flowing football I want to see. 

My main areas for concern are the roles of my midfield trio. I'm not sure whether having the DLP in the DM role is good or will this mean alot of the creative work is done far too deep? Also, with the F9 am I likely to get a good return of goals? Are my 2 CM's too attacking?

Lots of questions that I don't yet have an answer for. I'm not expecting someone to give me the answer in one go. I'm more hoping for some observations and what things you may think will work better? Or am I just experiencing a slow start because of my sunday league rep etc and very poor coaching skills :-)

TIA

13 minutes ago, BlairNo.1 said:

Or am I just experiencing a slow start because of my sunday league rep etc and very poor coaching skills :-)

Don't know about your tactics but I think you're setting yourself up for failure there. The idea that Liverpool would appoint a completely-inexperienced manager is utterly unrealistic. You cannot command the respect of your players and unless you string together a sequence of excellent results I'd expect you to have trouble in the dressing room in short order.

I don't see anything wrong with having the DLP in the DM line, but if you're up against an AI tactic with an AMC, Can might not have the time and space to do much playmaking. In that case, you could switch him to a more straightforward defensive role and move the playmaker up into the CM line.

18 hours ago, BlairNo.1 said:

I want to play with inside forwards as I think that suits my team best.

Do you mean it suit the tactic or suits the players?  Have you built the rest of the tactic around this pair?

I have gone with a standard mentality as my wide players are already advanced so I didn't want to push them up further.

I don't follow your thought process, are you saying you'd only use attacking if playing a 4411 or 4141?  Select your mentality by looking at the bigger picture, do you want more risks, more forward thinking, more urgency etc?  Two of your front 3 are support duties so will be deeper and offer variety.  For example my current 4231 Wide has a DLF-A, RMD-A, AM-S, IF-S, CM-D and DLP-S yet I use Attacking mentality without issue.

My main areas for concern are the roles of my midfield trio. I'm not sure whether having the DLP in the DM role is good or will this mean alot of the creative work is done far too deep?

A DLP typically starts attacking moves or possession is recycled through him, he won't be a main creator.  On defend duty he will be quite safe but is given creative freedom to try things he thinks are worth the risk without being focused on it.  I'd be looking more at the front 5 and how they will move around with/without the ball to create space and chances.

Also, with the F9 am I likely to get a good return of goals? Are my 2 CM's too attacking?

How do you envisage him getting goals?  It doesn't just depend on his role and attributes but those around him.  Whilst a F9 drops deep, all ST roles will get into the box to try and get on the end of a pullback / cross etc so the only reason he wouldn't be there is if he's on the ball or can't catch up with play.

What do you see the two CMs doing that makes you think they're too attacking?  What do you expect from them and the front 3?

I tried something similar and I found that because of the two inside forwards and F9 nobody was really penetrating the box and where passing around the penalty box. This resulted in allot of long shots and few goals. 

On 07/03/2018 at 15:01, Rooks said:

I tried something similar and I found that because of the two inside forwards and F9 nobody was really penetrating the box and where passing around the penalty box. This resulted in allot of long shots and few goals. 

Yes, this is my most used tactic ever and in this year's version in my Chelsea save I have reached the exact same conlusion. I have switched the AML to Advanced Playmaker (Attack), the ST to Complete Forward (Support) and left the AMR as Inside Forward (Attack), but not too sure about duties. They were further supported by two CMs as Advanced Playmakers on Support duty while a designated position holding DM on Defend duty watched their backs and this proved highly successful for me, the forward three was banging one goal after another.

True, they were all great players (Hazard, Dybala, Asensio) but with OP's tactic, they struggled to penetrate the box as Rooks wrote and most goals were scored because of individual quality or as a result of the odd long shot, but not because of good attacking system.

On 07/03/2018 at 15:01, Rooks said:

Yes, this is my most used tactic ever and in this year's version in my Chelsea save I have reached the exact same conlusion. I have switched the AML to Advanced Playmaker (Attack), the ST to Complete Forward (Support) and left the AMR as Inside Forward (Attack), but not too sure about duties. They were further supported by two CMs as Advanced Playmakers on Support duty while a designated position holding DM on Defend duty watched their backs and this proved highly successful for me, the forward three was banging one goal after another.

True, they were all great players (Hazard, Dybala, Asensio) but with OP's tactic, they struggled to penetrate the box as Rooks wrote and most goals were scored because of individual quality or as a result of the odd long shot, but not because of good attacking system.

You'll have more joy with an attack duty striker.

DLF(A) will do the job. You need a hold up player to play it in behind sometimes, but you need him to be able to get on the end of things too and maybe run with the ball to take it past defenders. He's the primary target of your attacks and if he is dropping off the other attack duty players arrive too late. He'll move into channels but he won't roam like a CF(A), meaning he's available for attacks more often.

I also see a very potent space down the left, which would be exploited by using a AP(S) instead of IF(S) with a WB(A). IMO the IF(S) is a generic form of the AP(S), and an AP attracts the ball. So he will be able to unlock the WB(A) more often by being an AP.

You might also like to experiment with a Raumdeuter on the AMR and compare the IF(A) with RMD. Take a look at what I put together this season.

20180309153208_1.jpg