Clarification on Update 18.3.0

really what the hell its going on with this game yet again tacs totally fall apart big time and wht the hell are gunners the best team in the game I swear this game gets worse after every update its a total shambles and disgusting having to spend hours trying to make a tac that works again happens every up date and then you hit out with the same **** theres no ai or me changes well sorry but what a lot  of ******** if that was the case the results would not be so drastically different

image.thumb.png.e95e55c4a1dd52c63ce491e4238e9ae8.png

MATCH
------
- Fixed rare ball physics bug
- Improved individual team talk reactions
- Fixed team talk assistant advice when winning competition
- Fixed passing accuracy assistant feedback
- Fixed issue where stadium/players sometimes appear black
- Fixed score diverging in online matches
- Additional individual team talk button added to player’s row on team talk table

1 hour ago, djwillster said:

really what the hell its going on with this game yet again tacs totally fall apart big time and wht the hell are gunners the best team in the game I swear this game gets worse after every update its a total shambles and disgusting having to spend hours trying to make a tac that works again happens every up date and then you hit out with the same **** theres no ai or me changes well sorry but what a lot  of ******** if that was the case the results would not be so drastically different

'If' your tactic falls apart after a match engine update then chances are it was taking advantage of something that wasn't right in the game

1 hour ago, djwillster said:

Nothing about what what you posted looks good, so it seems the update didn't affect anything.

14 minutes ago, KUBI said:

MATCH
------
- Fixed rare ball physics bug
- Improved individual team talk reactions
- Fixed team talk assistant advice when winning competition
- Fixed passing accuracy assistant feedback
- Fixed issue where stadium/players sometimes appear black
- Fixed score diverging in online matches
- Additional individual team talk button added to player’s row on team talk table

These would appear to me that these are not ME updates that could effectively require a tweak to existing tactics - right or wrong?

7 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Nothing about what what you posted looks good, so it seems the update didn't affect anything.

I know DJ could of put himself across better but that was a poor reply without knowing facts as DJ said. For a moderator anyway

4 minutes ago, zodiac619 said:

I know DJ could of put himself across better but that was a poor reply without knowing facts as DJ said. For a moderator anyway

I very clearly said - nothing about what you posted looks good. If he wanted to show a comparison, why not actually show a comparison?? We only have ONE, single screenshot to go on. Losing that much and that heavy with the favourite team, shows that it's not a good setup.

All SI had to do to affect the results of structurally unsound stuff was to change some AI tactical decision making, btw. Some of such overhauls may also affect AI results. No ME changes required. That's always going to be the trade-off. Conceding goals like that couldn't have been any hugely stable an approach even prior to the patch. Generally, the stuff the game rewards has been the same in ten years plus... luckily. There's not much reason to panic there from my end. There's a chance though that an update may have slipped in a new (marking) bug, mind.

I just wish there was a bit more transparency. If the ME has got to the point where it’s difficult to make changes due to its age and the knock on effect then just let us know. I remember the days when the ME was worked on (mostly by Paul C) continuously and you could really see things improving and the dynamics change from one patch to the next. 

There are still obvious and glaring things that this ME cannot, and probably will not be able to, do based on its limitations but it’s ok to let the community know where things stand with it. 

58 minutes ago, JPChenet said:

The post was to ask for clarification on ME updates, particularly with regard to tactical play and whether there may be a need to tweak existing tactics.

There should be no need to tweak existing tactics if 1) it's sound and balanced for your squad; and 2) it's not in some way exploiting an ME bug or loophole which has been fixed.

Remember there have been database changes, including some attribute changes to players.  That may require tactical tweaks and falls under 1) above as it might unbalance things.

9 minutes ago, herne79 said:

There should be no need to tweak existing tactics if 1) it's sound and balanced for your squad; and 2) it's not in some way exploiting an ME bug or loophole which has been fixed.

Remember there have been database changes, including some attribute changes to players.  That may require tactical tweaks and falls under 1) above as it might unbalance things.

Cheers

My tactic plays the same.

3 hours ago, djwillster said:

You deserve the sack m8.

5 hours ago, djwillster said:

how the hell can you say that without seeing my tac and not seen my prev results in other saves prev to update and at no point was I getting a spanking or losing much

You have conceded more than 5 goals 4 times in a season. That points to having a bad tactic, or not having the players to play the tactic you want. Let me guess, it is one of the narrow 3 striker tactics that are hyper vulnerable down the flanks? Whatever, you cannot blame any patch for that run of form, your tactics are clearly not working here.

As noted above, if your tactics are solid you are unaffected by match engine updates. I have used the same tactic (roughly speaking, at least close variations on the same theme) for 3 iterations of FM with success. If your tactics are based on a ME flaw (like the current narrow 3 striker tactics are) then once the loophole is closed, your tactic will suddenly stop working. It is one way to discover when you are using an exploit (either my mistake or by design).

For what it is worth, I have not noted a large change in the scoring in my game, or any changes in the ME at all. There certainly does not seem to have been major changes, even if you believe there is not a complete change log. I have perhaps noticed fewer long shots, but I do not know if that it just my players either getting used to the play style, or my forward players getting into better positions and giving passing options, which stop long shots to some degree. Also, in my current save Arsenal are doing pretty badly, sitting 6th with 10 games left. So are Man City, who have sacked Pep and sit 10th after a terrible start to the year. Southampton are currently 3rd in the league and pushing for a Champion's League spot. Every save is slightly different.

11 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

You have conceded more than 5 goals 4 times in a season. That points to having a bad tactic, or not having the players to play the tactic you want. Let me guess, it is one of the narrow 3 striker tactics that are hyper vulnerable down the flanks?

Mustn't be the case, but I have no idea why the download sections still don't have a huge fat sticky claryfying a few things: 1) Short-term solutions to long-term problems in here (largely). Namely exploits around your management -- goals will be scored no matter what. 2) Tactics oft aren't build around sound logics (as you argue the flanks are free for all, and several more), so any random opposition approach may hit you hard. That's not at all to alienate, or to drive people away, or to lessen the work put into the tactics. But to draw attention to the drawbacks of playing such. The current batch of mods may learn this the hard way and probably weren't around when FM2013ish hit the forums hard.

As of the updates, it's all listed here. Such updates can produce some knock-ons over the game world, including AI results. As can data updates, which may also include changes how AI managers set up their tactics. What updates typically don't do is interfering with the logics infused into the game long-term. I think looking at such short to mid-term runs as Arsenal's is a bit pre-mature... it would be in football. They had played only against two sides up to their level too. In those high scoring games, I'd look out if Arsene either fielded or switched to something involving three forwards. :p Plus what the opposition AI did.. I think the game needs far more proactive AI. As many a freak result comes about as the AI in-match imo still mainly reacts to scorelines, just like ten years ago.

Which is also why you have the top guys never getting the message if in a specific match against a specific pack of forwards their high lines are getting exposed over and over again. Conversely, they may go even more aggressive with every goal they concede... as they are getting desperate to get back into the game (as argued,largely reacting to scorelines). It may happen that upon conceding a few, an AI would shut up shop completely, to avoid a major thrashing. But that at best happens in big mismatches for the underdog side. I think for as long as SI see nothing wrong in the bigger picture, e.g. the number of goals scored and high scoring matches (and there may not at all be), they wouldn't see anything such as a major issue, if any at all.

18 hours ago, djwillster said:

And @iMan & @Keyfer1 (as you upvoted this).

There are other issues going on here I'm afraid, not just tactical.

1) You've only played 3 pre season friendlies.  That's not enough to get your squad match fit, familiar with your tactic, or happy.  All of which will impact your start to the season in a bad way.  Schedule a friendly every 4 days or so against low quality opposition.  Set your Training to maximum Match training and Match Prep to Tactical.  Rotate your team during each match.  Set General Training to Team Cohesion to help your squad gel.  All of that impacts something called "Blend" which is a match engine modifier - have rubbish Blend and your performance during matches will be affected accordingly.

2) Of those 3 friendlies, you could only manage a draw against Red Star and two relatively small wins against poor opposition.  What did you notice about how your team played during those matches?  That should be your first clue about the effectiveness (or not) of your tactic.

3) When you started to lose league matches, again what did you notice about how your team were playing?  What analysis did you look at and do?  Did you change anything?  If you did what and why didn't it work?

Everything is within your control.  There have been no ME changes in this patch which would suddenly turn a good tactical system into a bad one.  If you'd like more help head over to the Tactics & Training forum, post your detailed tactical set up (screenshots will help) along with advice of what problems you've been having during matches and somebody will more than likely be able to help you out with specific advice.

11 minutes ago, DizzyNewHeights said:

So to clarify once and for all, was there any changes to the ME other than the ones stated in the patch notes ?

I personally think there has been,if you looked at the post at the top of this forum that announces the winter update release,towards the end it says "the changelist includes but is not limited to the fixes shown below"

The Me fixes list has always been explicit. There are no changes other than the ones listed, of which there aren't many. The reason you haven't seen any clarification from Neil is because he wrote original post himself, and any post he'd make would be simply repeating that. So to repeat: there are no hidden me changes. 

Archived