View-only leagues

Anybody can clarify if having leagues in view-only can increase transfer activity and offers from those leagues/countries? I'd really like to see more transfer activity without loading multiple playable countries (not ideal for my pc!). Thanks.

@kandersson, from this post I made some weeks back:

The only difference between loading a league as view-only and not loading it at all, is that you get to see the league table and other statistics. No extra players are loaded in a view-only league, other than players that would have been loaded anyway (i.e. higher reputation players). In this sense, there's little benefit having a league as view-only.

If you plan on staying with 1 team, I would strongly suggest having nearby countries loaded as playable. For example, if you intend to be based in Germany, I would say to also load Poland, Switzerland, Denmark, the Netherlands and Austria, and load whichever divisions are relevant.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, when you load a country as playable, not only does it load players from that country, but also higher reputation players in nearby countries. That is why I always try and have 1 country loaded as playable from each continent/region in order that the database size is increased. Also important is the database size that you choose. I prefer the large database size, as the more players are loaded, the more transfer options there will be and the more transfer movements will take place.

30 minutes ago, MrJackster said:

that seems pretty clear enough i think,if for example you were going to load a save with say Rangers/Celtic,what nations would you load in personally..

Depends on the processing power of your PC, I would certainly load England, Wales, Ireland and Northern Ireland. I would probably also load Finland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark as the Scandinavian countries are traditionally close in football terms to the British nations. I'd also select other Central European countries such as Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, France, Austria and the Czech Republic. Possibly also others such as Switzerland, Italy, Portugal and Spain.

Just now, Mons said:

Depends on the processing power of your PC, I would certainly load England, Wales, Ireland and Northern Ireland. I would probably also load Finland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark as the Scandinavian countries are traditionally close in football terms to the British nations. I'd also select other Central European countries such as Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, France, Austria and the Czech Republic. Possibly also others such as Switzerland, Italy, Portugal and Spain.

Hmm i have a 2.4ghz that would hopefully cover that if that was the case

3 minutes ago, MrJackster said:

Hmm i have a 2.4ghz that would hopefully cover that if that was the case

Also important when considering your savegame's speed is the amount of RAM you have. In a game like FM, RAM is the single most important PC element when considering how fast (or not!) it'll run :)

Just now, Mons said:

Also important when considering your savegame's speed is the amount of RAM you have. In a game like FM, RAM is the single most important PC element when considering how fast (or not!) it'll run :)

8GB?

1 minute ago, MrJackster said:

8GB?

Looks pretty similar to my system. I run 50-something divisions from 20-something countries, give and take. It's not the quickest, but if I leave it overnight on holiday (i.e. 6-7 hours), it can easily process 4-5 seasons :)

I personally find it more important to edge towards database size and quality rather than game speed, but that's just me :)

27 minutes ago, Mons said:

The single most important one is the CPU. I'm not sure you can get FM to even approach a Ram usage of 4GB even with anything loaded up, 8GB is the standard in PCs these days tho. :) The processing / calculation speed is entirelly determined by the CPU. It's not about the Ghz -- the Ghz only tells you something whether a model of the same line of CPU is faster / slower than that. E.g. a (hypothetical) 0.5 Ghz Core i7 would blow a 3.2 Ghz Core 2 Duo completely out of the water. That's also ignoring the amount of Cores those processors have. The more cores/threads a CPU can address, the more matches it simulates on match day simultaneously. Entry level CPUs typically have two cores / two threads these days. High end ones up to 8 and up.

The minimum CPU FM supports is a Pentium 4 2.2 Ghz from 2002ish. That is a single core CPU, and even if you would overclock that to like 5Ghz, put 32GB RAM into that system and pray to the FM Gods, the game may run quite slowly. For an awkward comparison, if you think Ghz, think the PS of a vehicle: Does the number of PS really tell you something how fast a vehicle is? Is a 1000 PS tank faster than a 80 PS Fiat Punto? All complicated a bit that various CPUs can be faster/slower, depending on the application. That goes even for FM some. The more leagues you have on "full match details", the more the computer benefits running a CPU with more cores, as it the match days on full that big time benefit of many, many cores.

Thanks for the heads up as to "view only", I was never quite sure about the specifics myself. I usually customize the database loaded by "loading up all high reputation players from each continent", etc. As I never load up all countries. That bogs my PC down. :D And on that end, thanks for the enquiry, k! @kandersson :thup:

19 minutes ago, Svenc said:

The single most important one is the CPU. I'm not sure you can get FM to even approach a Ram usage of 4GB even with anything loaded up, 8GB is the standard in PCs these days tho. :) The processing / calculation speed is entirelly determined by the CPU. It's not about the Ghz -- the Ghz only tells you something whether a model of the same line of CPU is faster / slower than that. E.g. a (hypothetical) 0.5 Ghz Core i7 would blow a 3.2 Ghz Core 2 Duo completely out of the water. That's also ignoring the amount of Cores those processors have. The more cores/threads a CPU can address, the more matches it simulates on match day simultaneously. Entry level CPUs typically have two cores / two threads these days. High end ones up to 8 and up.

The minimum CPU FM supports is a Pentium 4 2.2 Ghz from 2002ish. That is a single core CPU, and even if you would overclock that to like 5Ghz, put 32GB RAM into that system and pray to the FM Gods, the game may run quite slowly. For an awkward comparison, if you think Ghz, think the PS of a vehicle: Does the number of PS really tell you something how fast a vehicle is? Is a 1000 PS tank faster than a 80 PS Fiat Punto? All complicated a bit that various CPUs can be faster/slower, depending on the application. That goes even for FM some. The more leagues you have on "full match details", the more the computer benefits running a CPU with more cores, as it the match days on full that big time benefit of many, many cores.

Thanks for the heads up as to "view only", I was never quite sure about the specifics myself. I usually customize the database loaded by "loading up all high reputation players from each continent", etc. As I never load up all countries. That bogs my PC down. :D And on that end, thanks for the enquiry, k! @kandersson :thup:

I'll be honest, 90% of that post is absolutely incomprehensible to me :D

As for my advice re RAM, I remember reading that advice from a moderator or SI member some years ago on this forum and I've been using it ever since. This was before the advent of multiple-core processors and other technological advances, so it might very well not apply any more :)

Thanks for the answers, usually like @kingjericho I prefer loading  only one nation with large database to keep processing and game speed fastest (I have upgraded to 8GB RAM but I notice slower processing with more than three nations loaded). When playing in less reputable countries (e.g. Australia, New Zealand, South Africa) I find particularly hard to sell players (even good ones with EU second nationality, at very reasonable price and wages) so I'm especially interested in this! Most of the times I'm only able to get offers from China (not loaded) once in a while, which makes difficult to make some profit  (poor money from league or TV) especially in A-League (no transfers involving money allowed between clubs in the league!) especially with Wellington Phoenix (not eligible for AFC competitions!). So if view-only leagues could somehow increase that activity without impacting game speed that would be ideal but it seems it doesn't work that way @Mons?

4 hours ago, Mons said:

I'll be honest, 90% of that post is absolutely incomprehensible to me :D

:D Basically, the quicker your processor, the quicker your experience. That's it.

FM is all about making all kinds of calculations, and this is entirelly your processor doing such. It's the single most important component as of FM. I doubt that FM at all uses anywhere near to 4GB of RAM whilst running, so a 6-8GB PC is hugely plenty, usually. Maybe more than needed. It depends a little on your database setup. You can check how much RAM the game uses at any one point by pushing Ctrl+Alt+Delete on your Keyboard whilst running the save and openn the "Task Manager" from the screen that then pops up. It shows all applications, and how much RAM they currently use. You could check that, would be interesting what it shows there for you. For the 3d view, you naturally also need a sufficient video card, or else the 3d stutters, but that's a different thang. :)

how about a 2.5ghz on a intel i5-7300hq 8gbram ? also on loading leagues in , is just loading the one league the rest in view only making the experience alot less, or is it worth sacraficing the speed and adding more playable leagues ? 

Just now, dannyrefc said:

how about a 2.5ghz on a intel i5-7300hq 8gbram ? also on loading leagues in , is just loading the one league the rest in view only making the experience alot less, or is it worth sacraficing the speed and adding more playable leagues ? 

Just depends how u want to run your game,persoanlly i would add a few leagues for a bit of variety with some of the nations a few posts above,maybe a little slower not much though in my opinion..

Archived