FM - the game of my dreams

jacek99

I wanted to write you about the game of my dreams. Let says you start to manage Manchester United in season 97/98 with Beckham, Giggs and Schmeichel in the squad. Everything's as usual so far. But instead of fake regens they are comming a real youngsters to the teams. So in season 1998/99 game will generate Didier Drogba in Le Mans. In season 1998/99 15-years old Cristiano Ronaldo in Sporting CP and in season 01/02 Rooney in Everton. The game will generate also players like Freddy Adu but with true potential. If you have a good knowledge about football then you sign biggest future stars in the same season as game generate them. Of course match results will be random as in a normal game. I hope SIGAMES is going to make a game of my dreams someday.

I created a custom database to Football Manager 2012 with U-23 players update (season 16/17). I adjust potential ability to FM12 talents like Yaya Sanogo, Fabian Himchinschi, Joel Valencia etc. (they did not make a great career till 2017). I also added talented youngsters like Mbappe, Gabriel Jesus, Donnarumma. So now your football knowledge is more important than ever before. If you know who became a wonderkid over 5 years than you can build undefeated team for a years. I made a short movie about it. Who wants to play?

FM12 update 16 17.dbc

With all due respect, I don't see how this is viable as an official game mode.

Adding a retro database going back even only 20 seasons would still require an awful lot of research, and the addition of hundreds of thousands of players - all of which would generate into the game in specified seasons. SI couldn't simply add the future superstars, and those youth products from the big clubs, and be done with it either. Every professional player since 1998 would need to be in, whether they came from Barcelona or Barnsley.

These databases can work in games like OOTP, because the structure of elite baseball more or less stays the same year-on-year, and players are usually drafted into pro teams from college instead of coming through youth academies. In football, teams can rise up the leagues rapidly or drop down them just as quickly. Successful clubs can attract more promising players at a younger age.

Would it be realistic for Gareth Bale to 'generate' at Southampton in 2005 if they were a League Two club with poor youth facilities, or would he have gone to a better club instead? What about if Lincoln were Champions League holders with state-of-the-art facilities across the board? Would some of the best young English players be chosen to 'generate' at Lincoln, or would the Imps be left with a bunch of no-hopers?

There would also have to be a lot less predictability regarding player growth and potential in such a game mode. Otherwise, you could just sign everyone that you know becomes a superstar and watch your team hoover up the trophies year-on-year. I don't know about you, but that isn't my idea of fun.

Yes, you're right. Example with Gareth Bale is a hit. Also we can play only 20 seasons like that. After this we have to go back to regens generated by the game. But I'm not saying that every generated player has to be real. Let's say footballers with PA +150 (forget about Freddy Adu). They were not so many of them in last 20 years. I don't really know if people prefer to play with real footballers or with regens. After your response I also have a lot of doubts right now. 

I have thought about this in the past! I wonder if it would be possible as an anniversary style game!? Maybe SI would have to consider how many years they could go back. Example going back 10 years is probably easier than 20. Maybe also only selected players would generate as you played through the seasons. I.e. some years only one player from a clubs youth team actually makes it pro so there might be 1 real player padded with regens so only players that went on to have a top career were added as you played? Possibly for every season the top 50-100 players 16 in that season are created and the rest are regen??

Without sounding pedantic, Dele Alli should be at MK Dons and Raheem Sterling should be at QPR, Eric Dier should be at Sporting Lisbon and Jamie Vardy should probably be at Halifax but that said, I have downloaded because I love stuff like this.

It always has been a big dream (from a Dutch perspective) to play in the 70s with big legends like Johan Cruijff, van Hanegem etc. See them be become as big or even bigger than real history, or perhaps, never make it as big and disappoint. And then during time you can scout young talents as van Basten, Gullit, etc.

But as written above, there are too many things in the way to make it possible.

OOTP is perfect for historic play, but the US has all the stats of every professional baseball player kept in their records. From there, baseball is a lot more accurate to judge players by in their respective historic era (by .avg, .obp, hr's, etc. etc.). Baseball is a stats game. And baseball as a game with its many stats are a lot better to translate into potential of a player.

In football this wouldn't translate at all. Apart from goals, assists and stuff, there are a lot more hidden "stats" of a player which are hard to judge and more susceptible to personal judgement.

And that is just naming one tiny thing which would make it hard, the biggest problem is licensing.

I for one would be for this.

The legend database that was released in the couple of years that the name escapes me and the user as well. Anyway, most name theres force me to investigate their names. In return i learn a bit of football history.

Half the kids today they don't know who where the greatest footballers and managers since the 1930' to late 80's, probably the 90's This in sorts would help for historical reasons. In a way FM would contribute to this.

Sure Kubi said for licensing reasons this might not be possible. Since the licensing discussions here on forums is big no no, I would like to say. How come the game can have real players, and historical players cannot?

On 24/02/2018 at 16:04, jacek99 said:

I wanted to write you about the game of my dreams. Let says you start to manage Manchester United in season 97/98 with Beckham, Giggs and Schmeichel in the squad. Everything's as usual so far. But instead of fake regens they are comming a real youngsters to the teams. So in season 1998/99 game will generate Didier Drogba in Le Mans. In season 1998/99 15-years old Cristiano Ronaldo in Sporting CP and in season 01/02 Rooney in Everton. The game will generate also players like Freddy Adu but with true potential. If you have a good knowledge about football then you sign biggest future stars in the same season as game generate them. Of course match results will be random as in a normal game. I hope SIGAMES is going to make a game of my dreams someday.

I created a custom database to Football Manager 2012 with U-23 players update (season 16/17). I adjust potential ability to FM12 talents like Yaya Sanogo, Fabian Himchinschi, Joel Valencia etc. (they did not make a great career till 2017). I also added talented youngsters like Mbappe, Gabriel Jesus, Donnarumma. So now your football knowledge is more important than ever before. If you know who became a wonderkid over 5 years than you can build undefeated team for a years. I made a short movie about it. Who wants to play?

FM12 update 16 17.dbc

It's been a while since I played FM12, where does this go?

• 9 months later...

Archived