Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jogo Bonito

Game crash when trying to load

Have been using FM18 fine but tonight  am unable to launch without a crash. I had been using a face pack and logo pack, but all was good. Last night I down loaded the latest face pack, today I went in to reload the skin so that the updated face pack would work correctly. I think that the reload skin task froze or stalled, and I had no option but to close down FM. When I tried to open it up again, it was not working. I tried to do a print screen of the message but could not get it in to this page.

The crash dump code is below, but I don't know if this gives anything that helps or if I need to provide more info.

2018 v18.2.2.1055984 (2018.02.21 21.00.46).dmp

Please help, thanks.

14 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Okay please remove all the custom aspects for now, then do the following three stages:

Delete Cache
Delete Preferences 
Reverify Cache 

Once that's done, try the game again and see if it loads. Let us know how you get on. Thanks. 

Hi Neil

I've deleted my custom faces and logo packs, and then followed those three stages. However, I am still receiving the same error message as yesterday and cannot get in to the loading page which shows loading in several languages.

Any other suggestions please? Or should I be preparing to uninstall and reinstall?

Thanks.

Could you please attach the latest crash dump file you received to this thread? It can be found in the following location - C:\Users\<Your Windows Name>\My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2018\crash dumps

Cheers,
Felix

Please find the crash dump files attached. The first one was the very first message, the second one the latest after removing my face and logo packs.

I don't mind uninstalling and reinstalling as would be about to start a new game on the winter update, but would be good if you can identify and help me resolve the issue in the meantime.

Thanks in advance.

FM 2018 v18.2.2.1055984 (2018.02.21 20.42.59).dmp

FM 2018 v18.2.2.1055984 (2018.02.21 21.12.22).dmp

As it was weekend, I thought I would uninstall and reinstall. I fully expected that to work, but unfortunately on launch the same error message came up.

I wanted to paste the screen shot here but have attached as a word doc instead. On pressing OK to the first error message, it takes me to the second error message.

I was wondering if it is due to some security or graphics issue on my PC, but everything was working fine since FM18 demo until now, and all other applications I use are still fine. I also just tried FM17 but that launched perfectly, so the issue is somehow specific to FM18.

I look forward to receiving your ideas of help.

Thanks.

FM18 crash.docx

Edited by Jogo Bonito

2 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Are you running a custom language pack with the game per chance?

Hi Neil

No, I'm not. I had a face pack and logo pack and a custom league database (which was taken from the Steam workshop) but uninstalled the face pack and logo pack. After reinstalling, I don't think I have any custom items at all as I wanted to have this fixed before trying to add those two/three packs back in.

Could that custom league pack still be the issue even though (a) I didn't purposefully put it in again after reinstalling and (b) it was working fine before. I'm wondering if the old files remain in the FM18 folder even after uninstalling, and perhaps one is corrupt (likely the league one). If you think that might be the issue, I could check those files on my system when I am home tonight.

I'll await your thoughts. Thanks.

Edited by Jogo Bonito

I'm not sure - it's obviously worth checking but I really would have thought they'd have been removed during the installation phase. 

Please do check again and let us know. Thanks. 

Hi Neil

I went back in and uninstalled FM18, then deleted all files and folders for FM18 that had been created previously, and finally I emptied the trash bin.

I reinstalled again, and the game launched properly. I have even put the face pack and logo pack back on now too and all is still fine.

I haven't put the custom league pack back on as I don't have the will to go through all that again. It's a shame to miss out on taking Raja Casablanca back to the Club World Cup stage, but the winter update will be out soon and I'll stick to the regular leagues instead.

Thanks for trying to help.

Edited by Jogo Bonito

Glad you've been able to get the game back up and running, thanks for coming back and letting us know.