Assistant's in-game advice

The tactic creator of any FM team Tactic sets up his formation with preset instructions.  During the match the Assist. offers changes to tactics during game  e.g. "change instruction to allow  crosses" etc.  Sometimes the Assist. also wants changes made for up-coming matches which will pull apart the creator's tactic.

Do i listen to Assist. or stick with the pre-game plan?

And on a side-note, if I insert permanent instructions to close down the ST and weaker foot for wingers do I need to add this rule every game or is it automatic once in team instructions?

I completely ignore them. They don't know what you're trying to achieve. I've always assumed assistant advice is  just the programmers way of translating the match data so its easier to understand. If you're comfortable doing what you're doing then just ignore them.

Ultimately, while sometimes I don’t bother with it. There are times when I read it and ask why? 

Some AI formations may concede goals against  formations you don’t use, and it’s tempting to change them. Here is when you need to double check the advice. If someone were to come to you and recommend a buying decision to you. Do you verify the information or at least mull it over? 

You are the manager of the team, ultimately it’s your job on the line not his.

5 hours ago, Atarin said:

They don't know what you're trying to achieve.

Mostly this. Feedback overall from the AI isn't very useful, bar a very few exceptions where they point out the blatantly obvious. My understanding is that they take the result and make an assumption upon it and don't understand the context. Perhaps it's not clear since English isn't my first language, so let's try to explain. For example, if I play with high line and high pressing, I expect my defenders to win a lot of headers since the opposition would be forced to play a lot of long balls. The AssMan sees that our team is "winning" a lot of headers from these hoofs, and therefore tells me that we should cross more... ignoring that our striker is either short or way better with the ball in his feet, that the wingers actually are Inverted Wingers or Inside Forwards, and so on. The AssMan knows we're winning headers, but he doesn't know why we're winning them and certainly doesn't know where or who is winning them either; otherwise he wouldn't tell me to hit more crosses.

Overall SI has pushed FM in a direction where the game gives you a lot more feedback than it used to. That said, since there's no contextualisation nor "thinking" process involved from the AI, that feedback isn't useful or at the very, VERY least, the AI is unable to explain to you why it's giving you that feedback. It can lead to quite a few headscratchers.

Archived