Two conferences split up in divisions?

CrowBar

I've been editing inside the MLS setup to change the format. In vanilla the MLS has 2 conferences. In the editor this means a group (conferences) phase besides the league (MLS) phase.

What I want is to split up each conference in 2 divisions, thus having 4 divisions total.

Example:

Western conference (14 teams):

-Pacific Division (7 teams)

-Plains Division (7 teams)

Eastern conference (14 teams):

-Continental Division (7 teams)

-Atlantic Division (7 teams)

The winner of each division is placed for the Conference semi-finals (2 eastern, 2 western). The numbers 2 & 3 of each division are placed for the wild-card round (8 total, 4 between each conference).

Does anyone know if it is technically possible to accomplish this setup in the advanced editor?  I've been trying around, but can't quite get my head around it.  I don't know how to tell the editor that there are basically 3 tables to look at:

1. The overall MLS standing,

2. Conference standing,

3. Division standing

Option 1 and 2 is possible, as this is default ingame. But I want to add option 3 under 2.

@dim13

About splitting up the conferences in 4 divisions (for example); I think I figured out how to do that basically. However, there is one thing I don't know (or I don't have the knowledge) I can achieve.

If I got it right, teams in the MLB/NBA/NHL (other than the division winners) are the ones with the better win percentage and such in each conference. This is what I aimed for. Now, this is the tricky part. If I split up the conferences in 4 divisions, it loses the original conference standings. And thus there is no way to tell the editor to only pick up 8 MLS teams for the wild card round based on overall standing in each Conference, and not based on each seperate division. But it could be that my knowledge of the editor doesn't reach that far.

Long story short, the aim:

- 4 divisions (2 divisions under East, 2 under West Conference)

- 2 west division winners to East semi-finals, 2 east division winners to West semi-finals

- 4 teams from west conference with best standing other than the division winners to West wild card round, and same idea with the East.

From what I gathered, this could be too advanced to achieve in the editor?

CrowBar,

If you can PM me your file or a link to your file, I will be happy to take a look at it.  I think it can the playoffs working - should be possible.  I may not be able to look at it until the weekend though.

1 hour ago, dim13 said:

CrowBar,

If you can PM me your file or a link to your file, I will be happy to take a look at it.  I think it can the playoffs working - should be possible.  I may not be able to look at it until the weekend though.

Will send u a PM once I finished the main teams I added in + academies + USL replacements. As mentioned in the other thread, question is if the new teams get regen in academy like the rest. Will have to see.

That is fairly easy to do. You need to add another league stage 2 times each with 14 teams, make it hidden, link the 2 other stages' results to the new one, use league rounds 0, untick create fixtures. Set top playoff combined with other league fate and you're done.

You probably have never done this so I'll add instructions tonight when I have some spare time.

1 hour ago, Slabbekoorn said:

That is fairly easy to do. You need to add another league stage 2 times each with 14 teams, make it hidden, link the 2 other stages' results to the new one, use league rounds 0, untick create fixtures. Set top playoff combined with other league fate and you're done.

You probably have never done this so I'll add instructions tonight when I have some spare time.

Thanks for the info! Didn't realise that was a way to do it. Will tinker with it in the meantime.

If I accomplish that, I think doing the playoffs is a lot more easy to tweaks. Since then I can figure out what to do.

I don't know how you're going to set up your division completely. If you're going for one parent competition and 4 child competitions or a parent competition 2 child competitions overall and each 2 groups (so 4 in total). If it is the latter than it is even more easy to do.

Because then you go to:
- Stage 0 (group) -> Group Settings -> "extra fate places"
- Then " number of places" is 4, "original league place" is other, "new league place" is Top Playoff (or whatever league fate you gave to qualify teams), "Maximum Teams In Group To Check" enter number of teams left in each group, in your case you have 7 teams and 1 automatically qualifies so that makes 6 teams left to check.

And that would already be it.

Archived