Getting rid of the flashing banner ads that appear in matches

Hi all, I posted about this issue around the release of FM18 but got no real reply so I thought I'd try again. The basic issue is the incredibly distracting flashing banner ads that appear in 2D, see this gif as a short example - https://gyazo.com/a6bdf08893650367f278cc1c60ae1db4

As I'm sure you can imagine having 16 simultaneously flashing 'buy now's is not what I expect from a product I paid £30 for, I wouldn't even think about using a website with such distracting ads. Bear in mind the example I've linked is not even close to the most distracting ad in the game and doesn't look as bad in the gif as it does in game.

Eventually I figured out the ad boards could be turned black by setting render quality to medium or lower but on returning to the game recently after a while away I found a patch meant ads now stay no matter what you set your graphics quality to.

I have 3 main questions:

1. How on earth is it acceptable to have flashing banner ads in a £30 game?

2. Is there any way of turning them off now?

3. If the answer to question 2 is no, can I receive a refund?

I apologise if the tone of this post is too aggressive but it's very frustrating being subjected to ads while playing your favourite game.

23 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

Didn't HUBI post a mod following your original post which sorted the problem?

https://community.sigames.com/topic/412441-flashing-ad-boards-in-2d/

Unfortunately while that does remove ads it also has the strange effect (for me at least) of acting like a sepia-coloured filter when watching a match - https://imgur.com/a/cYb6S

Apologies for the poor quality screenshot

i dont think they care if you like the look of the game. the whole UI shows shows that. the add boards are just a joke played on anyone that can put up with all the other rubbish long enough to actually start a match

dont like your chances of a refund either. all you can do is not purchase any further games in the future. even then they still wont listen though

3 minutes ago, Spurs08 said:

If you bought from Steam they have a policy where you're guaranteed a refund if you've had the game for less than 2 weeks and played less than 2 hours, so that if you spot something like this you can get your money back :)

it takes longer than 2 hours to try and read your players reports, (try to) set scouting, training schedules, set transfer status and squad roles, staff levels and possible improvements. probably a load more things before you even look at tactical options beyond a basic formation. hell, you could probably take an hour trying to edit the face and attributes before you started...

19 minutes ago, lemeuresnew said:

it takes longer than 2 hours to try and read your players reports, (try to) set scouting, training schedules, set transfer status and squad roles, staff levels and possible improvements. probably a load more things before you even look at tactical options beyond a basic formation. hell, you could probably take an hour trying to edit the face and attributes before you started...

True, although there is a demo as well which you could do all that in if you're not sure. It is less helpful for FM and the strategy genre in general than other games though granted. 

4 minutes ago, Spurs08 said:

True, although there is a demo as well which you could do all that in if you're not sure. It is less helpful for FM and the strategy genre in general than other games though granted. 

i couldnt do much in the demo. wrong screen rev stuff

the other problem with this argument is they keep saying that reported problems are 'being worked on'. there would be no reason to assume something as stupid as flashing lights wouldnt be turned off. it cant really be that hard, they just dont care

20 minutes ago, lemeuresnew said:

there would be no reason to assume something as stupid as flashing lights wouldnt be turned off. it cant really be that hard, they just dont care

This is particularly true as it was only recently changed to prevent the ads being able to be turned off through graphics settings, the effort they've put in on this issue has clearly gone towards making it worse for the user. I know not that many people still use 2D but SI are making it borderline unusable in order to bring in some extra revenue from sponsors which really isn't acceptable imo

• 2 weeks later...

Disappointed and frustrated to find the 18.3 update included no changes to this issue. Even a simple revert back to allow the ads to be turned off through graphical settings would improve things substantially. I assume I can't be the only person who finds this makes the game nigh-on unplayable, is there really no-one who's found a solution?

Sorry using my mobile or id screen shot it.

not sure if there is an easier way to find it but there is a file you can delete, this is where mine is located. Close the game and go to:

local disk (C:)/program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/footballmanager2018/data/game

and delete file ads.fmf 

when you restart game the advertising boards will be black

edit: maybe just search for that file name could be easier.

9 hours ago, loftymufc said:

Sorry using my mobile or id screen shot it.

not sure if there is an easier way to find it but there is a file you can delete, this is where mine is located. Close the game and go to:

local disk (C:)/program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/footballmanager2018/data/game

and delete file ads.fmf 

when you restart game the advertising boards will be black

edit: maybe just search for that file name could be easier.

Works perfectly, thank you so much

• 1 month later...

There appears to be new ads now, possibly even more distracting than the original ones this year. The lowlight is an ad for a sports betting company, not exactly great morally at the best of times but seems irresponsible given the number of children who play fm. Expected better from SI.

Edit:

An example of a couple of seconds worth of gameplay in 2D - https://gyazo.com/a8ea4892a7920630e27e79398d041625, really don't understand how SI think this is acceptable

Would have thought an in game advert  for a betting company  would automatically result in a 18 PEGI rating.

Edit: After a little research I’ve found that if a game encourages gambling the minimum PEGI rating that must apply is 12, as the primary intent of an advert is to encourage the viewer then it seems logical to conclude that SI may have exceeded what is permitted within the 3 rating that FM is assigned.

Archived