Sports Interactive Community
Jon Doe

FM2018 - Crash when attempting to save game (new and existing) v18.2.2 1055984

Hello

Trying to save any FM2018 game results in an "Application Error" crash: "A serious error was encountered and the application will close".

- Previously save game was working fine

- I can access all previous save games, load and play them without issue

- Any attempt to save, on any save game, results in the same crash (1055984)

- Attempting to save in different location, on cloud etc has no impact - same crash

- The save actually creates a save file in the expected folder of about 1/3 the size expected (25MB v 75MB).  File is not loadable

Crash dump file attached.  Will see if I can add a save game later too!  Any ideas much appreciated. I have not, to my knowledge, changed anti virus or similar which I read on the forums can sometimes cause an issue.

FM 2018 v18.2.2.1055984 (2018.02.18 16.55.31).dmp

What kind of anti-virus program do you have installed?

Are you trying to run any custom editor data per chance with any of the saves affected by this?

Can you please upload an affected save to our FTP and let us know the file name so we can investigate? FTP details here - https://community.sigames.com/topic/417549-ftp-details/

Thanks. 

Hello

- Anti virus: Avast, I think, but I'd be surprised if that's it.  This suddenly started two day ago where previously it hadn't been a problem

- I am not using any custom editor data at all

- I've uploaded a couple of save games ("test game 38", "test game 39") but none of the save games I have now save at all, these are just examples.  Are the half-finished saves that are generated when the game attempts a save and crashes of interest?

Avast has been known to cause issues with FM and Steam games, especially after an update. We'd suggest reading and following all the instructions listed below and let us know how you get on:

5 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Can you try changing the default folder location and see if that makes any difference? Details on how to do this here - https://community.sigames.com/faq/football-manager-2018/134_how-to/141_universal/how-to-change-the-sports-interactive-folder-location-r417/

Let us know, thanks. 

That didn’t help but it looks like (having gone through all my old saves - had some instability when first started) that every save created after 09/02 is afflicted but the ones before that will save. Going to lose a lot of play... any ideas?

Both saves load fine here in the same version you're playing which suggests it's an issue specifically related to your system. On the plus side this means the saves are not corrupt.

It could be related to your Windows user account, so as a test we'd suggest creating a new Windows user account, logging into said account, running FM and seeing if the saves load via that user.

Let us know how you get on. Thanks. 

4 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Both saves load fine here in the same version you're playing which suggests it's an issue specifically related to your system. On the plus side this means the saves are not corrupt.

It could be related to your Windows user account, so as a test we'd suggest creating a new Windows user account, logging into said account, running FM and seeing if the saves load via that user.

Let us know how you get on. Thanks. 

Neil I will try that but loading isn’t the issue - I can load them fine, but I cannot save them! Can you save them?

edit: and as mentioned I can save games created before 09/02 and indeed new saves. It’s this run of save file that seems to be the issue. So I don’t think it’s a system issue!

Edited by Jon Doe

Okay I've been able to reproduce the issue internally and our development team are investigating. Apologies you've encountered this issue with your saves.

When we have any further info we'll let you know. 

Nothing just yet but we hope to be able to provide some further information soon. We appreciate your patience in regards to this matter.

Is sending a fixed save file possible? Given new save games and ones created before early Feb are saveable I could continue. Would hate to lose progress.

When we're able to provide an update you'll be able to continue your save. Thanks.