Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
dave84cpfc

Back Up Keepers Getting Unhappy

Is there a way you get around a 2nd choice keeper getting annoyed not player?

He is getting old not a patch on my first choice and he's contract is as back up I try to interact with him fairly regularly yet still gets upset about a lack of playing time 

I don't think I've ever had a back-up do this. I tend to have two home grown ones who aren't good enough to play, give the better one league cup games and that works. I've never had my goalie injured in 15 seasons, so it's safe enough.

If the goalie thinks he should play, you might have problems. 

Is there a way you get around a 2nd choice keeper getting annoyed not player?

Get rid of him, and buy a different backup. Or preferably, if you can, promote one of your own keepers from the reserve/youth side and use him as a backup instead. This is how I manage my backup keeper situation. I will almost never rotate the keeper anyway, unless I have an excellent young prospect who will eventually become my number 1. I do not even put a keeper on the bench, injuries to goalkeepers are so rare I am happy to take the risk (not once in my current save has my keeper been injured in a match).

Thanks guys selling and getting a younger back up sounds like the job, no prospects coming through, also interesting about no sub keeper, I can't remember a time a keeper came off injured 

I haven't encountered this complaint in a very long time (read many FMs ago).

Maybe this is happening because your backup has a high reputation?

Easy solutions can be:

1. replace your backup GK;
  2. rotate him more often;
  3. use one of the youth team GKs as the backup.

Yeah, I have the same “problem” aswell, his team status is fricking back up and he has been unhappy all season.

Next time look at what the contract says before signing it, buddy.

19 hours ago, dave84cpfc said:

Thanks guys selling and getting a younger back up sounds like the job, no prospects coming through, also interesting about no sub keeper, I can't remember a time a keeper came off injured 

In my last season on my save I did not even have a backup goalkeeper in the first team. I had 2 excellent but very young prospects in back to back youth intakes, so I do not see the point of buying someone when one of these guys will eventually take the first team job. I did not rotate the keeper once, and he was never injured. Still, it is risky, and I was probably somewhat lucky.