Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Deep-Lying Goalkeeper

Developing talented youth players

So basically, with which squad should the hypothetical young 16-year-old rising star be training - with the U18s or senior squad (my team does not have a reserve squad)? If i had, say, poor youth facilities but average training facilities and better coaches with the senior squad, is it worthwhile to send the talent to train with the seniors even though he is still far away from being actually able to successfully break into the senior squad? (Naturally the talent would be made available for the U18 fixtures.)

In other words, is there any difference between training in youth and senior squads - would the player be developing similarly in both squads if the facilities and coaches were at the same level/stars/workload  in the U18s and senior squad?

Your Youth Facilities are for your junior squads which you don't see and therefore contribute towards the quality of your annual newgen youth intake.  It has nothing to do with your U18s.

Your Training Facilities are shared by all "visible" squads, from your youth team to the senior squad.

Before the age of 18, Training is the most important part of young player development.  From age 18 and up, playing matches at the correct level compared to the quality of the player becomes more important.  Coaches will obviously play a key role in this, especially coaches with good a Working with Youngsters attribute.  Which squad you put the young player doesn't really matter so long as he's training well, playing at the right level and you manage his expectations.

If you have better senior facilities and coaches, move him to senior squad and make him available for u18 matches.

@herne79 I thought that youth facilities meant youth training facilities and not academy facilities like where youngsters live, eat, sleep, go to school etc. Thanks for enlightening me.

Edited by Vali184

Yeah, I thought it was:

• Youth recruitment - affects PA of newgens; the better it is, the higher your max cap.
  • Junior coaching - affects CA of newgens; the better it is, the better their starting level, though it has no bearing on their potential.
  • Youth facilities - affects maximum CA increase/attribute development for U18 squad.
  • Youth coaching - affects rate of CA increase/attribute development for U18 squad.
  • Training facilities - as youth ones, but for players in senior and U21 squads.
  • Senior/U21 coaching - as youth ones, but for players in senior and U21 squads.