Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
TheJanitor

My 4-2-3-1: Insight and Issues

I will certainly try him with a playmaker (S) role so he can get more touches. I don't think you need him to score alot with your wide players and striker likely being the main scorers. Let him be the creator to unlock the defence for your frontmen.

I would switch DMs and VOL so DMs will cover for attacking full back and VOL support attacking RMD :)

Tried both of your advice, the AP/s is working slightly better while I haven't noticed much change when swapping the DMs.

Things are still very poor at times. We struggle to createt quality chances and in all honesty I have no idea how to fix this. Defensively we are solid, which means I get wins but low, and the goals we score are from set pieces, screamers etc. Just got a spanking by Burnley, 2-1. Goal scored from a corner head. Only created one chance other than that.

Use the AMC on an attack duty, he has "comes deep to get ball" so will still drop back to link the play, but will be more attack minded when you are in possession.  Have a similar set up, not the same but similar. I found going structured and having both the wide men on attack duties makes the team more potent in some games, if there is space to move in.

What do you want your AMC to do? Clearly it is not to drop that deep. Do you have a clear idea in your head about where you want him to be positioned (in general) during an attacking transition? Since you want to build your attack around this player, this is the first thing to get correct. Give us a description of the things you would like him to do, and hopefully we can give some advice on how to achieve that.

The next thing to do after this is to position players around him in such a way that he has the maximum number of passing options available to him. Again, you will need to have a good idea of what you want those players to be doing. From your tactic, I can see you want options cutting in from the flanks (with space created by the CF), you want an overlap option to give some width, and you want at least one of the DMCs to also get forward and offer central support. When I am setting up an attack, I like to ensure I have at least two attacking outlet options, at least one wider option, and a couple of safer sideways/backwards options to recycle possession if nothing else is on. I do not, however, try to set up a tactic around a single player, and I do not play with any playmakers at all, so my philosophy and hence how I set up a side is not the same as yours. I would also note not to necessarily focus on end product every single time, when doing this. You know what you want the players to do, where you want them to be, etc. You know what sort of attacking play you want to see. Focus on producing that, get the players to do more or less what you want them to. Obviously do not ignore glaring issues you see (like a player running into a dead end all the time, or passing always being focused to one particularly area), but do not change things up all the time. When doing this kind of thing, I usually pick a player and focus on him. What does he do with the ball, without the ball? What space does he find? What does he do when he has it? This is how I usually spend my pre-season when designing something new.

Once you have the positioning of the players sorted out, then you can start to add TIs or PIs to modify exactly what those players do. This can be to iron out any obvious issues, or to try to make a player more dangerous that he previously was. It is not easy to say what sort of things you will need to change, this is quite a way into the changes, so it is hard to predict.

That, at least, would be my advice on this. Sorry it is not very directed and immediately usable, but there you go!