Sports Interactive Community
Liam Townsend

game crashes during saving (Staging)

This problem started gradually once a season but now every time I save the game or after about 3 games I get this crash, I'm in the year 2030 so it sooo annoying - i've lost countless games due to the saving error crashing halfway through makes the save file corrupt.

it is a fresh install of windows 10 - all updates are done and the NVIDIA driver has been deleted and reinstalled.

look forward to some assistance.

cheers

ive attached the dxd file.

fm crash.jpg

DxDiag.txt

What graphics quality do you have the game set to via the in-game preferences?

When you save, does it only crash if you save on the same day as when you're due to play a match? Or does it crash every time you're trying to save the game? If it is on a match day, please confirm if there's any difference between saving pre or post match. 

Let us know, thanks. 

hiya,

I have the settings on "very high" and I have experienced the problem on "high" as well.. if I save without proceeding it seems ok, if I move on a day that's ok too, if I play a game and save after the game it crashes either during the save corrupting the save file or when the green bar is all the way across it crashes rather than resuming the game - when this happens the save file is ok.. either way it will crash when I save the game after the match..

look forward to hearing your thoughts!

cheers

Okay good info to know. To confirm, if you don't save on the match day, it saves without issue?

And if that is the case, if you drop as low as Medium or Low via the graphic settings, can you save on the match day as well without issue? We're just trying to see just how related it is to graphics settings so if you could check this it'd be hugely important to us.

Let us know how you get on. Thanks. 

hiya, it seems worse on matchday, it won't even complete the save, but on a non matchday it will complete the save and then crash - I have tried playing on med settings  and the problem still persists - I'm considering re-installing windows to see if that helps, one other thing I will try is running the game from the cpu instead of the gpu - if its helpful i'll let you know the outcome

I'd imagine running the game from the integrated card will work as we believe the issue is specifically related to the dominant card. Before you go to the lengths you've stated above it may be worth trying the game in 'Low' just to see if that causes it to crash as well.

Again let us know how you get on. Thanks. 

it works fine with the integrated graphics but obviously not as high a quality , I tried installing the previous driver for the gpu and it worked on the first save directly after a match and then I saved again immediately and got a blue screen with the message - VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE. The gpu works with no issues on all other games. it just crashes when I save FM18! could it be the save file? I'm going to try on low with the gpu, reinstalling windows is my next step - is this likely to make a difference?

seems to work ok on low settings too  - have played 2 games and saved 5 times! and all seems ok - the graphics are like a Kevin Toms game though - is this the best/only solution?

This is a workaround for the time-being until we can address the issue with a full fix. Apologies you've encountered the issue and as said we'll look to address it as soon as we're able to. 

Thanks. 

I've downloaded the latest update, downloaded the 26th Feb driver from Nvidia & it crashed on the first save. this is getting very frustrating - i've bought every version of this game since 1997 and my laptop is brand new -  it should work

And to confirm, what graphics quality did you have the game set to when you tried to save?

And again it's exactly the same - the game works fine in Low, but any setting higher than that the game crashes? 

One other thing you could try, go to your Nvidia 3D settings and see if disabling V-sync makes any difference?

- To do this, right-click on your desktop and go to 'Nvidia Control Panel'
- Under 3D Settings -> Manage 3D settings, scroll down to the bottom of 'Global Settings' and make sure 'Vertical Sync' is set to off. (By default it will be set to use the 3D application setting)
- It'll also be worth checking 'Program Settings' on the same panel on the other available tab and make sure that Football Manager's vertical sync setting is set to 'Use Global Settings' or is set to 'Off'.

Try as above (in the graphics quality level you've been having issues) and let us know how you get on. Thanks. 

Ok, so I've played 2 games with V-sync turned off and the graphics set to very high and saved directly after the matches both saved fine. I've also saved midweek with no issues then on the third game I saved on matchday and got the staging error.

Hi I’m getting these problems also. I’m going to try to set settings to a lower resolution. I will also try a few other bits you’ve suggested. Hope you can find a full solution to this problem as I’m 135 hours in on my save.

3 hours ago, Jason Spear said:

Hi I’m getting these problems also. I’m going to try to set settings to a lower resolution. I will also try a few other bits you’ve suggested. Hope you can find a full solution to this problem as I’m 135 hours in on my save.

Can you please create your own thread in regards to this issue and attach your dxdiag? Details on how to do so here - https://community.sigames.com/faq/football-manager-2018/134_how-to/138_pc/how-to-find-my-system-dxdiag-r400/

This is just so we don't get any wires crossed with other users when asking for or providing info. Thanks. 

5 hours ago, Liam Townsend said:

Ok, so I've played 2 games with V-sync turned off and the graphics set to very high and saved directly after the matches both saved fine. I've also saved midweek with no issues then on the third game I saved on matchday and got the staging error.

Did you save before or after the match in this latest instance?

Also can you please send us your Belarc? Details on how to do so here - https://community.sigames.com/faq/football-manager-2018/134_how-to/138_pc/how-to-find-my-belarc-file-r402/

Thanks. 

Okay we've just released 18.3.1. so worth trying again with that version.

If it still crashes, please try removing your Nvidia graphics card driver AND the GeForce Experience. Once you've done this, reinstall the driver but do not install the GeForce Experience and see how that goes.

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.