Your Biggest Underdog Achievement at a Major League?

What's the smallest underdog lower-league club that you ever led to glory in its main national league (Premier, Liga, Brasileirao, etc.)?....

I can't recall ever winning any major league with a tiny club over the years... :-(

Just want t have a sense of how achievable these challenges are...

Thanks,

2 hours ago, phd_angel said:

I can't recall ever winning any major league with a tiny club over the years... :-(

How tiny a club are we talking? In "top to bottom" saves I've traditionally always lost interest by the time the club was either established as a top flight club or was making strides towards more. Depending on how one-sided the league is, there is also typically one club sitting up top which takes a few time to battle. But you still know there's going to be one outcome long-term, so it feels like one of those MMORPGs where you just keep on grinding and collecting the XP and you know you'll be getting there. It's getting rewarded just for persisting, and a lot of that has to do with the game's (long-term) AI, naturally. Had that kind of experience in countless vintage management games either way.... including saves that lasted like 60 seasons+. So, perhaps you can count me in. I typically lose interest after quite a few seasons in general.

You'll find loads of players though easily doing such depending where you ask. It can be quite easy, and happen quickly. Instantly taking tiny clubs / weak squads directly to the top takes typically exploiting the ME or AI (or its lack of decision making), which I've never been much interested in as regular mode of play as there's no sense of reward in there. Anybody who's ever brainwashed themselves into believing that they'd be doing anything else in effect  to "cheating" has been doing just that, brainwashing themselves. It's an edge no opposition can hope to keep up with from day1.  If the game were to add a perfectly viable mode of play that would quickly allow such by legit means though, it'd be classed as "beneath the player", not worthy of his, which is curious. I think once the ME has sussed out proper zonal defending rather than always having a hole somewhere to be exploited this will be less viable, which may go both ways. After all, those holes to pet won't be there for yourselves too rather than just AI, but that's a different topic. :D

Been awhile since I managed to get a really small team to be world beaters, was a lot easier in earlier versions of the game when you could buy youngsters with huge potential for peanuts. Was kinda proud of making Nuneaton into a stable top 5 PL club in FM17 though even if we didn't manage all that many trophies we had a few good CL runs.

Archived